Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 111352 times)

LittleWoman

Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2007, 09:22:20 PM »
I got roped into one of those group interviews when I was 17. I needed a job very badly at the time, but was unable to do work that required a lot of manual labor (I have a condition). So, this posting in the newspaper for office work sounded great. The company scheduled an interview with me, and I showed up at the right time, dressed very well.

Strangely, there were many other applicants in the waiting room. Odd.

Then someone came out and told us all to follow them to a group interview. Having had no experience with this sort of thing at the time, I went in with the group.

Us applicants sat down but there were more chairs than necessary for the small crowd present. A group of well-dressed and smiling people came pouring out of the back room. They all sat in the empty seats amongst us.

What followed was a pitch for selling overpriced water purification systems and tablets. Wouldn't we like to make thousands every month selling these to just friends and family? Wouldn't we want our own business? Wasn't it worth the $90 for the manual?

Right after he started talking, it was clear that it was a commission-only position. Of course, I could not take such a thing. I stayed out of sheer, morbid curiosity.

All of the people that had come from the back would nod, smile and clap throughout the presentation. Afterwards, we were to talk in groups with a few of the bots leading the discussions about how we had to get in on this opportunity and buy the manual. They tried to play on the fears and wants of all of the people in the group. Apparently, I will get so much further with this 'position' than I will with a 9-to-5 job, if I am willing to invest in the manual. I was 17, mind you. I was and am very small, and I looked a lot younger than 17. Do I look like I have a lot of friends who need or care about water purification?

JoW

« Reply #166 on: November 09, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
Iím another one who joined this forum to add a story to the Amway thead

It was in about 1990, my mother was working for a small electronics firm.  One of their engineers sold Amway.  He was good at his job, but he spent about half of his time selling to his co-workers.  So between his time and the time of the folks he was selling to he wasted 40 man-hours each week.  The company fell on hard times, they need to fire a few people, and Mr. Amway was the 1st to go.  Sometimes the Amway Salespest gets exactly what he deserves.

The worst part is, Amway makes decent products.  If they were sold in stores beside the Tide and Dawn I might buy them.  But I will never buy on the impose-on-your-friends plan. 

hjaye

« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
Speaking of getting dragged to high-pressure cult-like groups under false pretenses-- has anyone here ever been to a sales-pitch meeting for the Landmark Forum? I had no idea what I was walking into the middle of -- I had been given to believe it was something like a rotary club meeting -- and the whole time I was there, I felt like I was in a sit-com parody of a weird, cultish "self-help" group that was heavy on "cult" and light on "self" or "help".

I declined to purchase one of their expensive day-long, self-help seminars, nor did I sign up for one of their weekend retreats. The only reason I didn't leave very quickly after I arrived was because I was dependent on the people who brought me for my ride, and they were off in another room someplace.

Those of us who had been dragged here as "first timers" --note the sales technique of making it sound like we've already joined-- were spit up into groups of six to eight, each of whom went into a different room where two members of the forum were to give a "presentation" to tell us what the forum was all about.

The incredibly-high-pressure sales-people / recruiters / whatever they were said that since they weren't being paid and were doing the "informational meeting" on volunteer basis (because the program had "helped them so much"), we should trust them, because they clearly weren't just trying to make money. They used a lot of cult-recruitment type methods to try to get us to join. It's the only time I've ever been in a conversation with people who gave me the impression of having been brainwashed.  And everyone there (except the other "first-timers") was just a little bit "off" in a way that it was hard to put my finger on.

I was seriously, seriously creeped out by the encounter.

My ex wife got involved with Landmark for a while.  I went to one meeting but I was not impressed.  Especially when they locked the door during the presentation so no one could leave.  The person giving the presentation said he did not want to hear someone say it sounds good I might do it later, "Either you're going to do it, or you're not.  If not, just say so and that will be the end of it"  When asked after the presentation if I was going to enroll, I said very firmly, "No" For some reason that was not the end of it, they kept badgering me for the rest of the night.  I did not waver though.

I let my wife do her thing so long as she left me alone.  I did get a call once from a friend of her's in the program.  I was not pleased, but he never called me again:

Wife's Friend (WF) Hello Hjaye, I'm a friend of your wife.  She tells me you don't like Landmark and are not interested in taking the program.  I had the same problem with my wife and I thought you would like to hear how we resolved our differences and how happy we both are now.
Me:  I'm sorry, I don't know you, and I can assure you, I have no interest in any problems you may have had with your wife and how you have overcome them.  I don't appreciate you calling me, I have no desire to talk to you about anything, and I especially am not interested in discussing any issues I may or may not be having with my wife concerning anything, let alone Landmark.  I'm sorry if this is rude, but the next sound you are going to hear is the click of me hanging up on you.....................click

hjaye

« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2007, 11:30:21 AM »
Way Back When, I was invited to lunch by a Primamerica guy who spent the whole time trying to get me to become one of his salespeople for some some kind of investment. All I remember from his talk was "the rule of 72", (an interest calculation, I think), and how much commission I could make each month from recurring client payments. I declined, stating that I couldn't spare the time away from home at night and weekends doing in-person sales calls at prospective clients homes, as my wife was expecting our first and I had to be available at all times. I did thank him for the free lunch, but to this day, I have no idea who gave him my name or work phone number!

The rule of 72 is a way to calculate how long it will take to double your money depending on the return your invested money is giving you.  If you invest 1000 dollars and get a 12% return on your investment 72/12= 6 you will have 2000 dollars in six years.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:46:49 AM by hjaye »

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »
  I'm sorry if this is rude, but the next sound you are going to hear is the click of me hanging up on you.....................click

Well, you did warn him!  :D
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

My ex wife got involved with Landmark for a while.  I went to one meeting but I was not impressed.  Especially when they locked the door during the presentation so no one could leave. 
[/quote]

They LOCKED the door? Isn't that unlawful imprisonment or unlawful detention or some such?

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
Me:  I'm sorry, I don't know you, and I can assure you, I have no interest in any problems you may have had with your wife and how you have overcome them.  I don't appreciate you calling me, I have no desire to talk to you about anything, and I especially am not interested in discussing any issues I may or may not be having with my wife concerning anything, let alone Landmark.  I'm sorry if this is rude, but the next sound you are going to hear is the click of me hanging up on you.....................click

Hjaye:  You are my new hero. :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Elle

« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2007, 10:08:11 PM »
Very interesting thread. I got a letter in the mail when I was in college that bragged about "internship opportunities." I showed up, and it ended up being a group interview for the knife selling company. After sitting through the first spiel, I walked out. The guy asked me where I was going, and I just said I wasn't interested. I wast the only one who walked out.

I have to admit, they are the best knives I've ever had. My husband and I wanted to buy them once, and had to ask around to friends to find a salesperson who could sell them to us. I don't understand why they don't just sell them in a store or online.

I don't like most MLM companies, but I did go to a purse party recently that I really liked, and loved the purse I got. I have no interest in hosting, but would definitely attend another one. I don't remember the name of the company.

I sold Cutco for about 5 minutes. I sold a paring knife and a pair of shears to my mom. 
It occured to me I didn't necessarily want to be selling knives door to door . . . . . . .

mindibrad

• Moms Need To Know
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »

I did do MK for a while but let it lapse which I'm still a tad upset about.  I miss my discount!!! But yes, I love MK products and will probably use them for the rest of my life.  It's really one of the few skin care products that help my acne out.  I didn't do "parties" though.  If friends wanted to play with my new color pallets, it was up to them.  If they wanted to buy something, cool. 

There are thousands of consultants who are trying to unload their $5K of inventory that they were suckered in to buying by their Director because they were told "you can't sell from an empty wagon".

Check Craig's List for your area....chances are that you will find a local consultant looking to get rid of their inventory at 40-50% off (MOF - I just Googled "mary Kay 50%" and the first page of hits were all Craig's list linsting for various cities)

hjaye

« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »

My ex wife got involved with Landmark for a while.  I went to one meeting but I was not impressed.  Especially when they locked the door during the presentation so no one could leave. 

They LOCKED the door? Isn't that unlawful imprisonment or unlawful detention or some such?
[/quote]

I figured it was at least a violation of the fire code.

mindibrad

• Moms Need To Know
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »

[/quote]

But don't ya know?  Only the "weak" would complain abuot being locked in....the whole purpose of that seminar is to teach you to be a stronger person!

(sarcasm off)

Sorry - my mom & Sf took "the forum" (right after they switched from being called "Est") and they kept bugging me to take it when I was a slightly unruly 13-year old.....almost forced me to take it until my father threatened to sue my mom for full custody if she ever brought it up again....he knew what a bunch of whack-jobs "the forum" was!

hjaye

« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »

But don't ya know?  Only the "weak" would complain abuot being locked in....the whole purpose of that seminar is to teach you to be a stronger person!

(sarcasm off)

Sorry - my mom & Sf took "the forum" (right after they switched from being called "Est") and they kept bugging me to take it when I was a slightly unruly 13-year old.....almost forced me to take it until my father threatened to sue my mom for full custody if she ever brought it up again....he knew what a bunch of whack-jobs "the forum" was!
[/quote]

OK, this is completely off topic but I have to agree they are indeed whack jobs.

Three years ago my ex and I were coming back from a vacation in New England, we had a connecting flight in Atlanta, who should get on but a large group of Landmark people that my wife knew coming back from one of their seminars.

I ended up sitting next to two of them, my wife was sitting one row in front of me. I had an aisle seat, the guy sitting next to the window was wearing a tank top t shirt.  There was an older guy sitting behind us, and he was giving the younger guy wearing the tank top holy heck for dressing so disrespectfully.  He was not properly representing the organization and the flight home was just as much a part of the program as the seminar itself.  According the older "gentleman" this younger guy couldn't be told anything because he was too stubborn to learn and no one could tell him anything because he already knew everything and what a poor representative of Landmark he was.

I sat there and listened to this guy go on.  I really wish I had spoken up and said something along the lines of what I was thinking.

The guy wearing the tank top didn't bother me at all, but you, the guy with the mouth, is irritating the crap out of me.  In my opinion he was an obnoxious, overbearing, control freak, and if anyone was giving landmark a bad name (aside from Landmark itself) it was him with the mouth, not the guy with the tshirt.

However, I did not want to start an argument so I just sat there wishing he would shut up trying to read my book.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 04:56:03 PM by hjaye »

mddg4

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
I guess I am one of the few who has never been approached by Amway. I amost got sucked into Vector and Primerica. Both are sleazy (imo) in that they make you think you are there on a legit job interview until they start talking then you find out what it's about.
I got sucked into one of those cattlecall "interviews" for Primerica, way back when, and walked out disgusted. Every now and then somebody will call to "discuss career alternatives" with DH, always between 9 and 5 when he's at work, and I've learned to spot the Primerica spiel within a few words. They hate to say upfront who they're representing, so when they stay vague as I'm asking for details I ask outright if they're calling about Primerica. Then I laugh and tell them to stop spamming my phone and delete us from any and all calling lists, which they never do.
[/quote]
Who are Primerica and what do they sell?
[/quote]
Supposidly, they sell insurance. Ofcourse they also "give financial advise".
What disgusted me about them was that they made it sound like a legetimet job interview.[/quote]

I worked for American Express Financial Advisors (which is now Ameriprise) for 9+ years. 3 of which as a recruitier. I can't tell you how many times I had to convince people that we were a legit company, we were NOT primeamerica, and we did not do pyramid schemes in any way shape or form. The first interview was done as a group interview, because this is a sales intensive position and we wanted people who knew what the job was about BEFORE they did a one on one interview. (we went to this interview process in the first place, because we would hire people who halfway through our training would up and leave because "it's a sales position". Well duh, we told you that!)Because of Primeamerica, we have had to completely revamp our interview process, so I effectivly "lost my job", however, they didn't want to get rid of me and kept me on until my DH got transferred.

bionelly

« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2007, 06:09:27 AM »
Anyone else ever get sucked into an interview for Kirby vacuum sales?

My DH once actually started training to sell Rainbows.  He quit when he realized that 1) we really didn't know that many people who would be willing to spend $1500 on a vacuum, and 2) they wanted him to do his spiel in a Forrest Gump voice.  Seriously.  They claimed it would help sales, but I really can't imagine how.  He said they showed him a demo tape of someone doing it with a person called, of all things, "Jenny," and he didn't know how he kept from just cracking up in the middle of the training session.

The updates to the website are not good for my Lenten goals. I have already yielded to temptation to read a few of them.  This one was about the first, and HOLY COW!  :o What a way to begin!

Never got suckered into Amway, but I'm still a little miffed at my friend Carolyn for giving out my name and number to a salesperson. The girl called and said that Carolyn had viewed a presentation she had done and that Carolyn had suggested that I should look over it as well. Since Carolyn and I had both been in advertising and newspaper, I thought the girl had done some sort of PowerPoint, and I set up a table with a line to a surge protector so she could hook up her computer.

Nope. She was selling extremely overpriced knives. I ended up buying a pair of shears because I did need some new ones and it was about the cheapest item on her list. (No, I was not going to buy an entire set of knives.) And boy, did she get furious when I refused to give her any names and addresses of people for her to contact. I kept telling her "no," and finally she whined, "But if I don't get any names from you, I won't get credit for this sale!"

Sorry, babe, them's the breaks. Next time be honest and upfront and you won't be presenting to someone who fantasizes about chasing you off the property with one of your knives.

(And as for the shears ó they aren't any better than the Fiskars I can get for about a quarter of the price.  :P)

When I was a kid, my friend's mom was ambushed by one of these people who was apparently going door-to-door just as we were leaving for an outing.  By that, I mean everybody was in the car ready to go, she went back in to grab something, and the guy knocked on the door and wouldn't take no for an answer.  When he finally got done with his presentation (about an hour later), she basically told him that she had sold those same knives years before, and knew better than to act the way he had (talking over her, refusing to pause in reciting the script to answer questions, refusing to reschedule in the first place) with somebody she actually wanted to sell something to.  Probably rude, but if it got the guy to stop doing those things, I think she prevented a lot more rudeness than she caused.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »

My parents got sucked into that poop for awhile. They were pressed to hoodwink friends and told directly not to tell them why they were invited, or they wouldn't come. "They won't be offended because they are your friends" when they find out otherwise. "Hey, your friends don't yell at you, do they?"

This is the part that gets me.  If all these MLMs are SO great and wonderful and everyone makes a gazillion dollars, why all the secrecy and subterfuge to get people to attend the danged meetings?

I used to work with one guy who was into this stuff.  Of course if we say the "A" word at work we can get into major trouble.  This guy kept asking me to go out with him.  Ok.. first, I dont' date coworkers.  Second, he set off my creep-o-meter.  He was just.. you know that picture of Ted Bundy and his eyes are all demented and intense looking?  Ya.. this guy had those eyes, only more intense.  He would wear dirty stained torn t shirts to work.  All of us just felt violated if he talked to us.

So he's asking me out to go see this guy talk.. it's interesting.. I'll like it.  It may help me raise my son better.  Meanwhile, another co worker behind him is waving his arms wildly and violently shaking his head back and forth, signaling a big NO to me.  He was mouthing the word AMWAY. 

Eww.  just... ewww.

Oh yea.. then there was the doctor who, after refusing to help me with some constructive surgery that I needed, suggested I go to his seminar.  It will help me with my self esteem and I can take some products home.  See, if I learned to talk to people and be more sure of myself, nobody would notice my disfigurement, so go listen to this speech....Me and my big mouth.. "Is it AMWAY?"  He looked surprised and said in a small unsure voice... ".... yes...."

I turned him in to the ethics board AND found a doctor who did my reconstructive surgery at no cost to me.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.