Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 108812 times)

Elle

Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »
Hooooooleeeeee crow,

Geordicat, there are no words in my vocabulary to describe the temerity of that doctor. I love your big mouth  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2007, 07:20:27 PM »
He was just.. you know that picture of Ted Bundy and his eyes are all demented and intense looking?  Ya.. this guy had those eyes, only more intense. 

Thank you, I will go have nightmares now....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
He was just.. you know that picture of Ted Bundy and his eyes are all demented and intense looking?  Ya.. this guy had those eyes, only more intense. 

Thank you, I will go have nightmares now....

I'm sorry.  :(

dang it.. I'd post pictures of the fort I built around my desk today, but I don't know how!!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:55:20 PM by geordicat »
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
Put them on the picture thread!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2007, 09:38:35 AM »
Put them on the picture thread!

I would.. but I don't know HOW to post them!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Elle

« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
I don't know how it happened. BadElle got loose in public. I think she ran into an Amway shill salesman. Let's see what she has to say for herself.

I was browsing the Graphic Novel section at my local bookstore. I spend a lot of time in this section so when a nicely dressed (and kinda cute) guy was there for a while without pulling anything off the shelf, I asked if he was looking for anything in particular.

Guy: Do you work here?
BadElle: No, I just spend a lot of time in this section
G: Oh, ok. So what do you do full time?
That's a rather odd phrasing. But there are a lot of college kids and yuppy puppies here. He probably just wants to figure out which I am
BE: Oh I work for a consulting firm. I'm the data gopher.
G: That's cool. Do you do anything else to make money?
BE: Huh? Well, I do a little crafting I sell at flea markets. Mostly to pay for my hobbies. And the light dawns on me. I decide to test my theory I had some friends try to convince me to get into Amway a few times. Sh'yeah right. Like that's not a total ponzi scheme.

Th look on his face told me he was indeed working for Amway.  I said something about needing to find where Boyfriend wandered off to and flounced away.

BadElle's going back in her sack now. She knows she's not supposed to tease people.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »
MY BIL (the one with NO money to live on) has gotten into one of those "Juice" things

You know - If you only drink 2 oz  of this juice a day it will cure all your ills.  Costs like $40 a bottle......

At Thanksgiving he was trying to get the WHOLE family to sell under him - INCLUDING THE 12 YEAR OLD

I laughed at him

and his wife (my darling clueless sister) bought him a portable DVD player so that he can sell this "stuff" better......

This is the pair that are getting the house forclosed on and are declaring bankrupcy - I really don't feel sorry for them any more.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2007, 10:36:03 AM »
Right click the picture where ever it is hosted.  Select properties.  Copy the address on the location line.  Place the address like this [ i m g ] link [ / i m g ].  I placed the spaces in so it would display.  If you can't figure it out, send me the link and I'll post it for you.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »
Right click the picture where ever it is hosted.  Select properties.  Copy the address on the location line.  Place the address like this [ i m g ] link [ / i m g ].  I placed the spaces in so it would display.  If you can't figure it out, send me the link and I'll post it for you.

ah.. that's the thing.  They are 'hosted' on my computer, no web site.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »
Ahh you can put them up free at a variety of places.  I have mine on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/
http://img.photobucket.com/
http://www.imageshack.us/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:34:26 PM by doodlebug »

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:19:31 PM by geordicat »

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2007, 01:23:31 PM »

I got them to post in the pictures in the coffee break thread.  When you get the address for the picture right click the picture.  Ignore the first address and copy the location which looks like this-
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/42/55/1000530086/n1000530086_2099_3675.jpg

The end result should look something like this-
[ i m g ] http ://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/42/55/1000530086/n1000530086_2099_3675. j p g [ / i m g ]

I have thrown in extra spaces so you can see what it looks like.

The link to the thread where they are displayed is here-http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=1707.msg452009#msg452009
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:33:52 PM by doodlebug »

scap64

« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2007, 12:14:50 PM »
About 11 years ago, Amway almost cost me my marriage.

Being recent immigrants, we were quickly targeted by my husband's coworker. After attending a "meeting", it became obvious to me that it was a pyramid scheme.

My DH's coworker (also a recent immigrant in hot pursuit of his "American Dream" who was driving 2 hours one-way for pep talks with his "upline") was particularly interested in involving me because, as an immigrant community volunteer and a later a public service employee, I was dealing with many vulnerable people who trusted me. He openly said that he wants me "to bring in new customers because people trust me". I refused - exactly for the same reason. Then this individual started pitting my husband against me, hammering into him that I "did not want him to succeed in America", "out of spite was standing in his way to becoming a millionaire" etc. Hubby could not avoid him because the guy was his foreman at work. It almost led to separation.

The strangest thing is that my hubby should've been much more aware, having lost his distant relative to a religious sect many years ago and being very critical about her gullibility. He fell for the same "meat" served under slightly different dressing. :shock:

This happened in 1996-97. My husband later came to own a small but successful business (which I helped him start and which has absolutely nothing to do with MLM), obviously prefers not to bring up Amway subject and gets visibly irritated whenever I do. Oh yes, and the guy who was pulling him in, became an alcoholic instead of a millionnaire.

talvikki

« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
My very first grown-up dinner party was ruined by Amway.  I had become friends with this couple at work.  They mentioned Amway when I was at their house once after shopping with her.  I blew it off, and didn't say much beyond 'not interested'.  I invited them over for a nice dinner and cards afterward.  I made this dish called Piedmontese something-or-other, it was a hunk of meat cooked in wine, tomatoes and other stuff for like 10 hours.  It was really wonderful.  Somewhere in between their acceptance of my invitation, and the dinner he dropped by my place unannounced with a Bob.  I got them out in about a half hour.  The day of the party, she called me AFTER they would have had to leave to say that 'their son was sick'  Yah, right, you just now realized that.  The following Monday at work, she mentioned that Amway teaches "that friends who aren't willing to help you make money, aren't your friends."

The good news is that my parents live 45 minutes away, and hadn't eaten yet.  Dad said he has never seen mom move as fast as that night

Is it just me who thinks this, but don't Amway and other such MLM schemes seem a bit... cult-like? The whole idea that people would lure others into meetings under false pretenses to make them join an organization, relentlessly try to make family and friends buy products, destroying relationships because they're so immersed in the business scheme, and especially the case you mentioned about actually following advice from a BUSINESS on how to choose one's friends... it just seems unbelievable to me, and sounds just like the warning signs mentioned when warning people against religious cults.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2008, 02:45:10 AM »
Amway has been listed in at least one book on cults a number of years ago.