General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)

<< < (64/66) > >>

Emmy:

--- Quote from: alkira6 on April 29, 2013, 10:20:13 AM ---I'm kind of iffy about MLM - everyone I know now who sells got into more to order their own stuff and score the occassional freebie.  I used to "sell" melaluca just to order for myself.  I would place orders for other people when they asked me about it, I was never about the "sell sell sell" push that everyone else seemed to be. No one ever pushed me to recruit either.

--- End quote ---

I was also involved with Melaluca to use the products.  I have the same experience as you.  Nobody pushed me to recruit or sell, and they don't seem to have the vast array of endless meetings that I hear about from many MLM's.

Lillie82:
The other night at an event I met someone selling Tastefully Simple (food) products. She had samples which were very good. Since there was a sign on the table, "Start your business for as little as $70," I assume it's probably and MLM, so having read this thread I felt guilty about ordering a dip which I like. But she didn't pressure me to become a seller and in fact said, "It's not for everybody." Which isn't something a really brainwashed person would say.

Also, she had to place orders - which means she hadn't bought a ton of inventory.

magician5:
So many equivocal statements here about various MLM methods ("Well it's not really a pyramid scheme, and my sister just does it to get discount product...")

You may be interested in a good restatement of the empty promises behind all of these plans (WARNING: LANGUAGE, NUDITY, DELIBERATE IN-YOUR-FACE OFFENSE) in an episode of Penn & Teller's "Bull****"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3pO7X7fEQ

OSUJillyBean:
Dredging up an old thread to tell this story:

I graduated college in  May 2008, right before the big economic downturn.  I am also not a strong interviewer and was working part-time at a JCPenneys to pay bills.  After helping a customer, she said she was impressed with my customer service and asked for my phone number so her husband could give me an interview.  I was beyond excited!!

You guessed it - MLM.  It was Primerica and it wasn't until well into the stage 1 interview that I realized I had no interest in bothering my friends and family and this wouldn't be a good fit for me.  The recruiter guy was surprisingly okay with that in person but continued to call afterwards.   He even wanted to talk to my boyfriend as "It's a family decision.:  Which I took to mean "Your lack of male reproductive parts makes you inferior and incapable of making big decisions.  Please let me speak with your assigned male person."

Soooo glad I got out of there!

My cousin pulled a bait-and-switch amway-type "housewarming party" during college and it made me look at him in a different light for years that he would lie to get us to visit and then try to hard sell us and several others his company's products.  I've heard through the family grapevine that he lost BIG on that scheme.

Twik:

--- Quote from: OSUJillyBean on October 03, 2013, 04:26:27 PM ---It was Primerica and it wasn't until well into the stage 1 interview that I realized I had no interest in bothering my friends and family and this wouldn't be a good fit for me.  The recruiter guy was surprisingly okay with that in person but continued to call afterwards.   He even wanted to talk to my boyfriend as "It's a family decision.:  Which I took to mean "Your lack of male reproductive parts makes you inferior and incapable of making big decisions.  Please let me speak with your assigned male person."
--- End quote ---

What did he expect, your boyfriend would *make* you take the job?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version