Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 110529 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »
Seashells by the seashore?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

nonesuch4

« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2008, 11:08:13 PM »
I had a colleague who joined Amway.  A couple times a week he tried to sell things to us, his coworkers and captive audience.  Oddly, it was after he "started his own business" that he started stealing money from the store.  Until he got involved with Amway, he was making enough money to cover his bills.

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2008, 10:24:49 AM »
My mom sold Watkins for a short time in the early 90's. I remember they sent her a "training video" which encouraged you to buy all their products and then sell to your friends and family. I don't think it's as cultish as Amway but they put a lot of pressure on her to give people the hard sell. My mom isn't that type of person so she got out (much to my dad's relief).

haggis for the soul

« Reply #273 on: October 14, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
My middle son received in the mail a letter that sounded like a job recruitment letter. He was getting a bit desperate for a job and set up an "interview". I found out they sent the letter to all new grads in the area.

Well I did some checking on the company and it was a MLM that sold knives. the poor guy at the bottom had to pay out $$$ for the demo knives and their own sale contacts all for $15 a sale. Oh, the knives had to be returned when they quit or they would be charged $$$$ more.

We had him cancel the "interview". They kept calling and calling him after he told them that he wasn't interested. They quit calling when I answered the phone and told them that if they continued to call I would call the police.

He has since found a summer job with a landscape company.

My son got a letter like this this past spring.  I think they sent them to all the HS grads.  He called them and was really excited about having an interview, but after he and I talked and he read some things online about Vector, he cancelled his interview.  Whew!

haggis for the soul

« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
In the past few weeks Amway and Pixar have started running TV commercials in my area.   ::)  I've never seen that before.

I've been seeing Amway and Herbalife commercials in the past few weeks.  I guess they're trying to appear more mainstream.

downtomarsgirl

« Reply #275 on: October 26, 2008, 01:38:47 PM »
That brings up something that I could start another thread on....misleading HELP WANTED ads. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to "sales job" or "new company needs staffing, hiring for all positions" "interviews" that turned out to be a hook for MLMs.

6/23/07

That happened to me a few years ago when I was desperately looking for work. I was very upset when I realized that it was a "cattle call" for sales people. The ad that I answered was for a front office person, paper work. 

It was very maddening because at the time my DH and I were both out of work and were counting every gallen of gas ect.

IC

This happened to a friend very recently!  Now, some of these companies are going through online job seeking sites (i.e. Monster, etc.) and contacting people with profiles. This was a one-on-one interview, but they never asked about oh, her job experience, or anything, nor did they say anything about the work she might be doing.  Furthermore, they told her that if she made it through this interview (Round 1), she would go on to Round 2, which would be a 9-5 "hands-on" kind of deal (in other words, she'd work for an entire day without pay!) She had a weird feeling, and did some online research and lo and behold, this was an MLM type scheme. She, of course, "made it" to Round 2, and declined.    So, especially in this economic downturn, google the companies with whom you have interviews, and make sure they are legit!  Warn your kids/young friends as well, because they seem to be the most vulnerable (and are the most likely, probably, to post on Monster, etc.) 

downtomarsgirl

« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »
I was at a jewerly party a few months ago and the topic turned to buying the discontinued jewelry on Ebay.  From there, we discussed other Ebay finds.  I mentioned that I've heard you can get some good deals on Ebay from former Mary Kay consultants who are trying to unload their inventory and recoup their investment.

Wouldn't you know it, there was a Mary Kay consultant at the party.  She quickly pointed out that they don't recommend buying off Ebay, because you should only keep makeup for a year.  Yes, shoe leather left an aftertaste in my mouth that night.   :-[

In my experience, people who sell make up tell you that you have to toss it after a year, people who sell motor oil tell you to change it every 3,000 miles, and people who sell shoes tell you to buy new ones every year.  Anyone else detect a common thread here?  Yep, the people who are saying it benefit by having you toss something that was probably perfectly serviceable and buying what they are selling.

Call me cynical, but I'll keep my comfortable shoes until I wear them out, use my make up until it's gone, change my oil every 5,000 miles, and keep my hard earned money in the bank until I really need to spend it.

And there's also a difference in *used* makeup that's a year old and new-in-package makeup of the same age.

I agree with all of the above, EXCEPT mascara!  I don't know if it's really only good for 3 months, but anything that close to my eyes, I'm pretty neurotic about. 

Bharris

« Reply #277 on: October 26, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
Kind of ironic that one of the Google ads on this site is for Amway.  ;D
I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »
Kind of ironic that one of the Google ads on this site is for Amway.  ;D

I got Amway AND Mary Kay. >:D
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kisu

« Reply #279 on: October 28, 2008, 09:17:22 AM »
I was at a jewerly party a few months ago and the topic turned to buying the discontinued jewelry on Ebay.  From there, we discussed other Ebay finds.  I mentioned that I've heard you can get some good deals on Ebay from former Mary Kay consultants who are trying to unload their inventory and recoup their investment.

Wouldn't you know it, there was a Mary Kay consultant at the party.  She quickly pointed out that they don't recommend buying off Ebay, because you should only keep makeup for a year.  Yes, shoe leather left an aftertaste in my mouth that night.   :-[

In my experience, people who sell make up tell you that you have to toss it after a year, people who sell motor oil tell you to change it every 3,000 miles, and people who sell shoes tell you to buy new ones every year.  Anyone else detect a common thread here?  Yep, the people who are saying it benefit by having you toss something that was probably perfectly serviceable and buying what they are selling.

Call me cynical, but I'll keep my comfortable shoes until I wear them out, use my make up until it's gone, change my oil every 5,000 miles, and keep my hard earned money in the bank until I really need to spend it.
And there's also a difference in *used* makeup that's a year old and new-in-package makeup of the same age.
I agree with all of the above, EXCEPT mascara!  I don't know if it's really only good for 3 months, but anything that close to my eyes, I'm pretty neurotic about. 

A friend of mine, who's a beautician, says that you can use unopened makeup that's over 1 year old. Makeup that's been opened and used for over a year mightn't be such a good idea. She says unopened makeup stays good for years, it's just the bacteria and dirt that accumulate in the makeup when using it that make it go bad. I've even heard of only using a mascara for three months...

Elle

« Reply #280 on: November 03, 2008, 03:29:35 AM »
Same friend was going to some self-improvement seminars.  I can't remember the name of the company (they do incorporate oriental warriors into their "thing") but he had to have spent about $10k US on the seminars.  Not to mention lodging and transportation, as most were not in NZ (Surfer's Paradise, LA...)  For awhile he really pushed them on me.  "If you can't manage a weekend, go to their 3 hour seminar".  Thing is, their seminars would go from 3 hrs, to 3 days, to 1 week...

It was during one of them he was relaying his experiences.  My opinion was, that if you want to do "good work", you don't have to pay $2k for a seminar that takes you out to hand out lunches.  There were apparently other sorts of things they did, mostly bonding stuff, and one instance where there wasn't a dry eye in the room, talking about personal things.  Sorry, I cannot even conceive of going up in front of strangers and airing my skeletons.  I'll go talk to my shrink for that...

I can't really say if it changed his life much, or me flying out to hang out with him for 2 weeks did.  Shortly after I left he started looking into leaving his solitary man-life.

I'm LOLing here because I think I know which company you're thinking about. I'm LOLing because I just got back from one of their seminars (if I'm thinking about the right thing). Literally I was sitting in the classroom this morning. And yes, I'm in LA writing this.  ;D

FWIW it is a great organization (pricey, but great). And I have had a lot of benefit from it (maybe not so much from the weepy, woo-woo, happy-clappy bonding part granted). I'll admit it comes off like a MLM scam at first blush, but there's a lot of great stuff in it. Anyway, I'm not telling you this to convince you it's a great deal or try to buy in or anything, i just wanted to assure you that I don't think your friend is being taken advantage of.

At least, not if you're talking about what I think you're talking about.  ;D

PM me, I'm dying to know if we're talking about the same thing.  :)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2008, 07:01:36 PM »
Anyone know anything scary or bad about ecommerce? A friend of mine has just gotten involved in it, and he wants me and his other friends to hear about it. I don't know a thing about it. Legit, or another cult-like thing such as Primerica or Amway?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »
Anyone know anything scary or bad about ecommerce? A friend of mine has just gotten involved in it, and he wants me and his other friends to hear about it. I don't know a thing about it. Legit, or another cult-like thing such as Primerica or Amway?
ecommerce is a whole field, and lots of MLMs have an ecommerce arm. Do you know which specific company he's involved with?

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »
I don't. He said it was a company that teaches people how to shop online. I would attend some two-hour meeting with him and this business guy who would tell me all about it and see if I wanted to get involved. I trust my friend that this is legit, but I still want to know for sure.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
I don't. He said it was a company that teaches people how to shop online. I would attend some two-hour meeting with him and this business guy who would tell me all about it and see if I wanted to get involved. I trust my friend that this is legit, but I still want to know for sure.

Honestly, I can't see where this would be a big money maker. Wouldn't someone just ask a friend if they need help? Online shopping isn't that complicated. 

Or is it a seminar on how to shop at a particular vendor/MLM?