Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 114209 times)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
Aha, I remember that knife company when I was in college. They were constantly putting help wanted ads all over the place, looking for college students.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »
Aha, I remember that knife company when I was in college. They were constantly putting help wanted ads all over the place, looking for college students.

I know the company, they recruit in Canada too.  Apparently their product is quite good, but they really put these poor youth through the wringer.  And with their recruitment tactics here, the students often don't realize that it's a commission-income-only job until they turn up for the first interview.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2007, 09:53:47 PM »
This gal I know who sells Mary Kay has sold so much stuff and has recruited so many people, she's thisclose to getting the Cadillac.

Yet she is still in the red and hasn't actually made any money. Her dh told me they're getting closer to having all of her "inventory" paid off.

Yeah, so she wins the Cadillac but she can't afford to put gas in it because she's not making any money.  Sounds like a REAL good job, doesn't it?

[/sarcasm]

Yes, I used to know a Mary Kay rep (I actually used to use some of their products) who pretty much had a Mary Kay "store" in her home - a separate room in the finished-basement (complete with the pink decor etc.)  Sure it was convenient - you could stop by after making an appointment and chances are that she had whatever you wanted right there - the correct shade, scent etc - no fussing with ordering it and picking it up later.  But as we all know, the stuff sure ain't cheap and I used to figure that she likely kept $ 20 or $30 thousand dollars of inventory on hand.  That's an awful chunk to have to "eat" in case a rep suddenly finds that she just can't continue any more.  Things like family emergencies, forced-moves do happen after all.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
Anyone else ever get sucked into an interview for Kirby vacuum sales?
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »

An job-interview or a sales-pitch?

My friend fell for the latter and she and her Dh had to spend a whole Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago watching this guy give a demonstration in their home.  (Her Dh keeps reminding her that she owes him, bigtime).  She really has no idea how she so willingly agreed to the presentation.  The guy did offer some hotel-coupons (which they still can use even though they didn't buy) but they're pretty limited.  The fairly nearby ones are midweek only, and the further-away ones don't include air-fare and don't seem to be that great a deal.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
I got suckered into an interview when I was about 17.  Ended up sitting for an hour and a half listening to them telling a roomful of people how much money they would make.  I dunno how long they went on after I left.

A couple years ago, I opened the front door to see an old friend from high school.  I invited him in, and he pulled in the case with him.  That was my first clue.   ::)  I listened to his spiel, and he was very nice about me refusing.  Haven't seen him since.  So much for old friends, eh?

My friend Joe has a hilarious story in his book about "Rainbow" vacuums.  Dunno if the name is real or not.  Had the same sales system as Kirby though.  His whole book is hilarious.  www.mentallyincontinent.com  He's writing a second book right now.   ;D  /shameless plug
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Quossum

« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »
Creative Memories is pretty innocent.  Most of the consultants I know are in it to get the discount on their own stuff, not to recruit others.  I don't think the company operates on the "downline" principle.

Rainbow vacuums are very real, and that's their real name.  I don't know how much of a MLM selling them is, but I remember my experience with them...

I worked for a dog groomer, and she had a Rainbow.  It's a fancy vacuum / air freshener which works using water--the hair gets sucked up and goes into a tray of water which you periodically dump out.  It was a great machine and did wonders in our shop, and goodness knows there's a hella lot of hair on the floor at the end of a dog groomer's day!

So when I moved out on my own, I wanted a Rainbow for my house.  I called the company, they eagerly sent a salesman.  He gave me the spiel despite the fact that I knew all about the machine.  I listened patiently, then we started doing the paperwork.

That's when he said something about my payments being $119.  Now, this was perhaps terribly naive of me, but I hadn't even worried about the price of this thing.  I figured hey, it's a really really good vaccuum, I'm willing to spend even like $400 on it.  (This was back in 1994, btw.)  I said, "How many payments in all?"

The guy says, "Ten."

I was literally struck dumb.  When I finally regained the power of speech, I stammered something about, "This vacuum costs over ONE THOUSAND dollars?"

I think the poor sob could already see a tiny contract with wings on it flittering away.  He tried to sell me again on how very wonderful this vaccuum was, and I assured him, "Look, I know it's worlds' greatest vaccuum.  I used one every day at the shop.  I had no idea my boss paid that much for it.  There is no way I can pay that much for a vaccuum unless it squirts gold out its hose.  Sorry."

I felt terribly foolish and I did apologize profusely to this poor man who'd come out to sell this thing to me.  Little had I known.   ::)

Oh, and now I have a Dyson vaccuum that works really well that I didn't pay over $500 for.   ;)

--Q

retreadbride

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »
I have a Rainbow vacuum and it was WELL WORTH the money. My doc even recommends them for his allergy patients. By the way - if you can get your doc to write a note verifying that you need a HEPA filter (or water filter, like a Rainbow) vac because your dust allergies are severe, then you can write the vacuum off as a medical expense. I did.

Anyway....

I have also been suckered into answering ads for "Retail Sales Work" and even "support staff for office" that turned out to be hooks to get people into the office to listen to their MLM spiel. Burns my behind like nothing else. They prey on people who are desperately hunting for jobs!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2007, 09:47:43 PM »
I have a Rainbow vacuum and it was WELL WORTH the money. My doc even recommends them for his allergy patients. By the way - if you can get your doc to write a note verifying that you need a HEPA filter (or water filter, like a Rainbow) vac because your dust allergies are severe, then you can write the vacuum off as a medical expense. I did.

Anyway....

I have also been suckered into answering ads for "Retail Sales Work" and even "support staff for office" that turned out to be hooks to get people into the office to listen to their MLM spiel. Burns my behind like nothing else. They prey on people who are desperately hunting for jobs!

I sure agree with you there.  If they believe in their product so much, then why be so evasive about it?

LJM

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »

Yes.

Oh. my. G-d.

That was one of the most surreal experiences of my life...

:o :P

kathrynne

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2007, 12:38:34 PM »
I got tricked into one of the group interviews for Rainbow vacuums in the early '80s, and was pretty rude about how I left the "interview" the moment I realized what they were talking about. I had walked four miles to the office and sat through about 30 minutes of BS-Babble (with 15 or so other people in the room) before they finally brought the product out and started telling us why we were really there. I stood up, laughing angrily, and said I didn't have time for this garbage because I needed a REAL job that paid actual money I could use to pay rent and buy food, and I walked out. Half a dozen or so people followed me, and I suspect they might have stayed the rest of the afternoon had I not broken that ground.

I have an excuse for that reaction, though. My BF at the time was hauling a Kirby all over town trying to sell it and was spending every dollar we had on gas to do so. I couldn't see myself putting a Rainbow in the car alongside his Kirby and telling the poor prospective customer, "And if you don't like HIS exhorbitantly-priced vacuum, let me show you MINE!"

No. We really needed for SOMEBODY to be making actual money. Every moment wasted potentially meant another missed meal and took us that much closer to eviction from our scummy, roach-infested apartment.

Jobs were tight when I was in college and right after I graduated. I actually sat through the presentation for Primerica (another ripoff), and a couple of other bogus "interviews" in my desperation to find somebody to pay me to do something.

Some representative or other with Primerica calls every few months for my DH. I start out dealing with the call quite professionally, in case it's a legitimate job lead, but I screen tightly enough that I can recognize the spiel, confirm that's why they're calling, and THEN laugh and tell them to never call back.

icfrugal2

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2007, 01:52:53 AM »
6/22/07

Years ago I was invited to a "party" by some friends of mine, I asked them if it was Amway and I was assured that it was not.

Lo and behold it was Amway and when I met my friends at the break, (they were in a different meeting) I was mad that they lied to me and I told them so. There reply was that they did not lie because this was the NEW AMWAY. LOL

IC   

icfrugal2

« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2007, 02:02:40 AM »

MLM schemes seem to become very "cult-like". We had a woman in our office get into H********. She started spending most of her time on the phone with her own customers, rather than ours (she had her own office, so fortunately for her the bosses didn't notice this at first). She started selling products to several of the other women in the company, who liked the product, but got very annoyed when they wouldn't agree to become distributors under her, so she stopped allowing them to buy from her (a little counterproductive, to my mind).  She kept telling us about how the product would do wonders for health - "It even cures AIDS!" I asked her why it wasn't widely known, and she explained how the evil medical community had quashed this news for their own profit.

[/quote]

6/22/07

My DH and I had a service business for 20 plus years, long story short, one of our employees started selling some MLM products of her own business, now this was the killer, she tried to tell her customer to only come at  certain days and times to pick up the products, the times that she knew that my DH and I would not be there. Well you know how people are they did not keep to the schedule and she would be working on our customers only to be interrupted by her customers wanting their products. Needless to say when we figured it out we told her that she had to quit selling out of our office.

IC 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2007, 02:25:25 AM »
My middle son received in the mail a letter that sounded like a job recruitment letter. He was getting a bit desperate for a job and set up an "interview". I found out they sent the letter to all new grads in the area.

Well I did some checking on the company and it was a MLM that sold knives. the poor guy at the bottom had to pay out $$$ for the demo knives and their own sale contacts all for $15 a sale. Oh, the knives had to be returned when they quit or they would be charged $$$$ more.

We had him cancel the "interview". They kept calling and calling him after he told them that he wasn't interested. They quit calling when I answered the phone and told them that if they continued to call I would call the police.

He has since found a summer job with a landscape company.

Cutco, right?

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:27 AM »
I got suckered into an interview when I was about 17.  Ended up sitting for an hour and a half listening to them telling a roomful of people how much money they would make.  I dunno how long they went on after I left.

A couple years ago, I opened the front door to see an old friend from high school.  I invited him in, and he pulled in the case with him.  That was my first clue.   ::)  I listened to his spiel, and he was very nice about me refusing.  Haven't seen him since.  So much for old friends, eh?

My friend Joe has a hilarious story in his book about "Rainbow" vacuums.  Dunno if the name is real or not.  Had the same sales system as Kirby though.  His whole book is hilarious.  www.mentallyincontinent.com  He's writing a second book right now.   ;D  /shameless plug

There really are Rainbow vacuum systems. They are hideously expensive (like $1500!), and they encourage their salespeople to use high-pressure tactics and to guilt their friends. Like Cutco, they encourage people to tell their friends they just want to "practice" their spiel.  ::)