Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 113030 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Landmark has been linked to cult activity and to the Church of Scientology.

What a shocker.

Fabrashamx

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »
It was started by Werner Herzog >:D, who did the EST thing in the 70's and is now into scientology. I have a good friend who was raised in the heirarchy of the church of scientology (she was married at Karen Blacks home in bennet canyon) and it is a cult, I dont think the people like Tom Cruise and John Travolta have any idea what its REALLY like on the inside.  :o

LOL, LJM, I love that you said 'I wasnt worried about the cult thing, it really was a bad investment' hahaha! they must hate people like us  8)

Hugs, Fabby

Quesselin

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:02 AM »
If anyone's interested, here's a link to a skeptic site that also looks at mlm scams:
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/mlm1.htm

Here's a link to the same site, leading to a book, free for download, written by a man who had his life destroyed by Amway. It's an absolutely horrifying read.
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/books/reviews/es_merchants.htm
Note how they use religion to draw people in.

FUNKIEFAIRY

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »
If anyone's interested, here's a link to a skeptic site that also looks at mlm scams:
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/mlm1.htm

Here's a link to the same site, leading to a book, free for download, written by a man who had his life destroyed by Amway. It's an absolutely horrifying read.
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/books/reviews/es_merchants.htm
Note how they use religion to draw people in.

Thanks for those links! I have a load of free time on my hands at work, reading all about mlm made my stomach lurch! It makes me mad how people can be so heartless and want to trick others into something they know is bad! >:(

Quesselin

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 02:44:29 PM »

Thanks for those links! I have a load of free time on my hands at work, reading all about mlm made my stomach lurch! It makes me mad how people can be so heartless and want to trick others into something they know is bad! >:(

You're welcome. Yes, the top tiers-people in MLM organizations are definately criminals, in my not so humble opinion. With those further down, it becomes more tricky. From what I can gather, they're basically brainwashed, of which the gentleman who wrote the abovementioned book is a good example.
I felt sick to my stomach the whole time I read that book. I could hardly finish it, that's how awful it made me feel.

For those who mentioned they're already involved in this sort of thing, please take care of yourself. Please.

Pinky830

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
I've heard of people contacting cult deprogrammers to try and get their friends/family out of Amway. Yeesh.

My New Year's resolution this year was to keep in better touch with my friends, and I've been calling a few people I haven't seen in awhile. So DH and I called one of our good friends from college who it turned out lived less than 10 miles from us. We ended up inviting him and his family over for dinner. They accepted and sounded glad to hear from us, but he did ask us apprehensively, "Um, y'all aren't trying to sell us Amway or anything, are you?" We were not, and I had to talk DH out of telling him when they got here, "So, we've got this great MLM opportunity for you guys!" because he sounded genuinely nervous. (We had a great time with them, BTW.)

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »
I got conned into going to lunch with a colleague who I really liked and admired... I was too naive at the time for the alarms go off when he said he wanted to talk to me about an "opportunity." I thought it would be a new job or some freelance work. Talk about disappointment.

Has anyone here heard about Mona Vie? It's some health juice drink MLM. I went to a "party" thinking it would be more like a Pampered Chef party - mostly to sell the product, and then some low-key encouragement to become a salesperson yourself. Instead, the seller (a friend of mine who was always trying the "next big thing" not only bragged about what a wonderful MLM it was, but said it had been founded by the founders of Amway - as if that were a good thing!!!  :o
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »
I got conned into going to lunch with a colleague who I really liked and admired... I was too naive at the time for the alarms go off when he said he wanted to talk to me about an "opportunity." I thought it would be a new job or some freelance work. Talk about disappointment.

Has anyone here heard about Mona Vie? It's some health juice drink MLM. I went to a "party" thinking it would be more like a Pampered Chef party - mostly to sell the product, and then some low-key encouragement to become a salesperson yourself. Instead, the seller (a friend of mine who was always trying the "next big thing" not only bragged about what a wonderful MLM it was, but said it had been founded by the founders of Amway - as if that were a good thing!!!  :o

I was tricked into doing a "sample test" of Arbonne products and then tricked into meeting with the person's upline afterward. The hard sell to become an Arbonne consultant was unreal. These were two people from a common community and with whom I'd always been very friendly. One of them has never spoken to me since then.

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 07:40:46 AM »
I was tricked into doing a "sample test" of Arbonne products and then tricked into meeting with the person's upline afterward. The hard sell to become an Arbonne consultant was unreal. These were two people from a common community and with whom I'd always been very friendly. One of them has never spoken to me since then.

My Mom loves Arbonne, not enough to sell it, but really likes what it does for her skin. She bought me a set for my birthday and hubby (a cop) immediately started complaining that my face "smelled funny." I pushed, trying to figure out what "funny" meant. He finally told me, "Pot! OK?! Your face smells like pot!" I stopped using it because obviously, that's not a smell I want to remind him of his wife.

Last week, a friend hosted an Arbonne party. I declined and told her the "Pot!" story. She called me the day after the party, laughing, turns out some Arbonne products contain hemp, and that's why my face smelled like "Pot!

P.S. My favorite line from "The American President" is after Bob Whatever gives a speech about how immoral Michael Douglas is and said, "My name is Bob Whatever, and I'm running for President!" and Michael Douglas said, "Thank God, because for a minute there, I thought he was going to try to sell us Amway."
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:32 AM »
I've had relatives in Amway. They acted pretty normal at the time, and they are out of it now.

The only problem I've encountered was with a friend of mine from college. He was a really sweet guy, very friendly and chatty. I lost touch with him for a few years after we graduated, and then bumped into him at the grocery store.

I didn't even recognise him at first. And then I realised who it was and all I could think of was "Oh, my WORD! What HAPPENED!?"

He was talking so fast! And Very, Extremely Happy. Soooo happy to have this business opportunity! Soooo happy to be moving up in the world!

I seriously thought he might be on drugs. Even brainwashed people don't usually sound like that.

And I felt really sad that such a nice guy could get wrapped up so completely in a business that it would change his personality.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Millicent

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 12:18:42 PM »
Thankfully, the first time I'd ever heard about Landmark Forum was through this http://www.rickross.com/ website. 
Rick Ross's website has a ton of information on different cults, and I remember reading first hand accounts about what The Forum is like on his message board.  If I ever meet someone into that, I'm sure I will run like the wind in the opposite direction.
He's also got some info on Amway and Quixar and Herbalife.  Herbalife is run much the same way as Amway.
Anyway, it's a very interesting website if you're interested.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 02:00:58 PM »
Coming in late on this one, but I am glad to read E-hell Dame's comments about getting people to come to a meeting. I once dated a guy who sd that he wanted to take me out for dinner on Valentines Day. I got all dressed up to go to this nice dinner. He picked me up, I got in the truck and saw a few other people. He didn't mention it was a group date but oh well, off we went.

We went to a local hotel that was known to have a nice restaurant. I was excited as I had never been to this particular place before and we looking forward to a nice date. We walked in and were directed toward a "ball room". I entered and my heart sunk. It was an Amway meeting. Crap.

Looking back it is funny now, but at the time, being 20 years old, I was mortified. How horrible!

Jaywalker

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
these programs cater to people who have authoritarian personalities and who desperately want to be 'big shots' -- they lap up the special jargon 'I'm his 'upline'' and sprinkle their conversations with words they think high powered movers and shakers use.  it is a desperate cry for self importance.  and any question or criticism then becomes a personal assault from their perspective.  and if this gets mixed with religion than any refusal to buy an overpriced product or join the system is interpreted as 'heathen' -- tres weird

of course some are just decent hard working people who hope to catch a break and turn their dedication into a good life.  my husband used to prosecute securities fraud -- and the saddest stories were people who were disabled and had sunk every last dime into some business 'opportunity' and lost it all -- they were often very hard working people willing to take a risk to have  a business, but they had no skills at defending themselves from scammers who prey on honest people with old fashioned values and no clue about business.

snowflake

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »
I once joined an MLM because I loved the products and wanted to get them (and some of my family did too) for a discount.  I spent the next year with people pestering me that I needed to start investing and branching out and pushing parties.  My higher-up had all sorts of people calling me.

I finally figured it wasn't worth a discount.  I found other products to use.

Oh, and my pre-bachelor's peon office-assistant job made me more money than my higher-up's sales commission.  AND I had better hours.

mindibrad

• Moms Need To Know
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »

My Mom loves Arbonne, not enough to sell it, but really likes what it does for her skin. She bought me a set for my birthday and hubby (a cop) immediately started complaining that my face "smelled funny." I pushed, trying to figure out what "funny" meant. He finally told me, "Pot! OK?! Your face smells like pot!" I stopped using it because obviously, that's not a smell I want to remind him of his wife.

Last week, a friend hosted an Arbonne party. I declined and told her the "Pot!" story. She called me the day after the party, laughing, turns out some Arbonne products contain hemp, and that's why my face smelled like "Pot!

While I am NOT promoting ANY MLM, I do know that Arbonne has a "personal use" program where it costs $40/year to buy the products at 35% off.....it's just a matter of signing up under a rep who is CRYSTAL CLEAR that you don't want to "build your business", conduct parties, etc. (my sister is a "personal use consultant"...I used to buy my products from her at her discount until I switched to Philosophy skin care)

P.S. My favorite line from "The American President" is after Bob Whatever gives a speech about how immoral Michael Douglas is and said, "My name is Bob Whatever, and I'm running for President!" and Michael Douglas said, "Thank God, because for a minute there, I thought he was going to try to sell us Amway."

I love that movie!