Author Topic: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)  (Read 108392 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »
We usually visit Whistler BC once a year (we live in the Vancouver area) in the summer.  One year, about every half-minute we got stopped by a time-share person.  "Hello, you people seem to live in Vancouver, how would you like.."  We stopped them right there - not only do we have no interest in buying a time-share there, we wouldn't come close to meeting the income requirements.  We couldn't figure out how they knew we lived near Vancouver though, till we finally figured out that Dh was wearing a souvenir-T-shirt that he'd gotten from volunteering at a half-marathon in Vancouver.

When Chip and I are at the beach, we have people sticking their heads out of kiosks ("How you folks doing today?") or even following us around Barefoot Landing trying to get us to listen to their time-share spiels by offering us discount tickets to some of the shows. I always say, "I'm a local," and walk on. And I do consider myself a local, since I'm only four and a half hours away and am down there at least once a year, sometimes oftener, and I just about know the town as well as I do my own. At any rate, I'm a local while I'm there! :D

I simply cannot abide pushy salespeople, no matter what they are selling. And I'm especially tired of those (admittedly hunky) guys who work at kiosks at the mall grabbing my hands, wanting to rub lotion on them. One recently asked me how I cleaned my face. "With soap and water," I answered. "Well, you know how you can smooth out those lines that begin with aging?" he asked.

"Sure," I said. "Botox." And that was that.

Evil Scritzy tends to wander around the mall a lot.  >:D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »
I remember when I went to Florida with my mother a few years ago, a salesperson approached my mother when we were shopping about seeing timeshares or something then the salesperson asked her where her husband was (my father did not go with us to Disney World).  He then said to my mother sorry can't show them to you as your husband isn't here.   

For time-shares, that's pretty much it.  They want both of a couple there, or it's a no-go.

Yup, the few times I go to Vegas with hubby, there are places where he shoos me ahead of him, so we aren't a couple walking in.  He finally explained it was so we wouldn't get mobbed by the time-share people.  They aren't interested in only half a couple and leave us alone.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2008, 10:46:02 AM »
oh gads my BIL has been suckered into one after another of these MLM deals.....

right now he is selling some sort of "Juice" (and I really can't remember which one it is - cause I don't care)

I wonder if it's Mona Vie. I attended one their pitches and the lady giving the pitch actually bragged that the guy who started this MIM was one of the founders of Amway. As if that were a good thing.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2008, 02:36:13 PM »

right now he is selling some sort of "Juice" (and I really can't remember which one it is - cause I don't care)

now they are declaring bankrupcy and are going to lose the house. (bank foreclosed on it, so they are going to lose it anyway)

so what does my Sister do - go out and buy the man a DVD player so that he can play vidios for people to try to sucker them into either buying this stuff or selling it under him.

Oh it isn't a pyamid scam - you  have a "tree" and sell "upline and downline" he even tried to get his 14 year old grandson to sell at school......

I wouldn't be surprised if my name isn't on his tree just to make it look better for him to sucker other people in on it.

(as if you haven't noticed I really have not a lot of use for BIL)

Ha - I wonder if this company was one of the vendors at my health club, hawking this juice. We have several over time doing this on a regular basis.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »

now they are declaring bankrupcy and are going to lose the house. (bank foreclosed on it, so they are going to lose it anyway)

so what does my Sister do - go out and buy the man a DVD player so that he can play vidios for people to try to sucker them into either buying this stuff or selling it under him.

Oh it isn't a pyamid scam - you  have a "tree" and sell "upline and downline" he even tried to get his 14 year old grandson to sell at school......

I wouldn't be surprised if my name isn't on his tree just to make it look better for him to sucker other people in on it.

(as if you haven't noticed I really have not a lot of use for BIL)

Ha - I wonder if this company was one of the vendors at my health club, hawking this juice. We have several over time doing this on a regular basis.

I had someone want to sell me a bottle of Noni juice that was supposed to be the cure-all for EVERYTHING.   Why the medical profession didn't know about this cure is beyond me.  ;)  Oh yea.. that's because the medical profession wanted to keep me 'sick' so they could keep taking my money!!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2008, 03:26:35 PM »
I had someone want to sell me a bottle of Noni juice that was supposed to be the cure-all for EVERYTHING.   Why the medical profession didn't know about this cure is beyond me.  ;)  Oh yea.. that's because the medical profession wanted to keep me 'sick' so they could keep taking my money!!

Well, hey, remember my massage therapist told me bipolar disorder was caused by dehydration! So maybe that drink IS a cure-all. ;)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #231 on: May 05, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
I think I'd just stay sick if the only cure was a $40 bottle of juice.  :P

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #232 on: May 05, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »

Wow I missed that one!! Are you serious?

Well, hey, remember my massage therapist told me bipolar disorder was caused by dehydration! So maybe that drink IS a cure-all. ;)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #233 on: May 05, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »

Save the $40. Buy it in the grocery store.

Seriously. Some stores have it, and it is much cheaper. But don't get your hopes up. It is still just juice.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

Seriously. Some stores have it, and it is much cheaper. But don't get your hopes up. It is still just juice.

I remember reading that the juice is actually good for something (I don't remember what, though).  It's certainly not a cureall.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »

I wonder if it's Mona Vie. I attended one their pitches and the lady giving the pitch actually bragged that the guy who started this MIM was one of the founders of Amway. As if that were a good thing.

I think that's it.....

all I know is when he starts in I tune him out.

the (not so polite word) spent all of Thanksgiving day trying to get us to either buy the crud or sell the crud.

I spent most of the day in the kitchen around the table with the rest of the family that also thinks like I do.....

IT'S JUST JUICE ! ! ! !
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

Seriously. And I laughed at him before I caught myself. (I apologized.)

As I said in the previous thread, I always knew Coke made me feel better. Now I know why! :D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »

Seriously. And I laughed at him before I caught myself. (I apologized.)

As I said in the previous thread, I always knew Coke made me feel better. Now I know why! :D

I can't drink a whole coke by myself.  My friend at work can't drink a whole one by herself, either, so we always share one.

We joke about "sharing a coke habit"
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
I can't drink a whole coke by myself.  My friend at work can't drink a whole one by herself, either, so we always share one.

We joke about "sharing a coke habit"

;D

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »

Costco has Noni juice for about 9 bucks. It tastes like spoiled cheese. Darling and I bought some and drank it because we didn't want to waste the money. I think his description was that it tasted like baby vomit smelled. :P