Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Mushroom Soup

(1/2) > >>

hobish:
I've fallen in love with mushroom soup. Mushrooms and spices in general, really...but i have no idea how to make a mushroom soup from fresh mushrooms that isn't too watery or too overcooked or too oily or too tomato based. There has got to be something i'm missing.

veryfluffy:
Chop one large onion. Melt two ounces of butter (or heat 2 ounces oilve oil, or a combination) in a large pan. Sweat the onions until transparent -- do not let them brown. If you don't mind garlic, add one clove, crushed.

Add 1 1/2pounds of mushrooms, sliced. Kind of stir those around for a bit over medium heat, until they are soft.

Add about 1 litre of stock -- vegetable or chicken usually. (I use good stock cubes.)

Season with herbs (oregano, parsley, etc.), fresh if possible, and a few good grinds of coarse black pepper.

Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Let cool. Use a blender to puree the soup -- leaving about 1 cup unblended if you like a bit of chunkiness in the finished product.

To serve, reheat to just below boiling. Ladle into bowls. Decorate with a swirl of fresh cream (if you like that sort of thing), a slice of raw mushroom, and a sprinkling of chopped herbs.

hobish:

Thank you! Hopefully i will get a chance to try it out this weekend - i say try because i am a notoriously bad cook, but i am trying. I'll let you know how it turns out.

DottyG:
YUMMMM!  Thanks for the recipe!

hobish:
I almost forgot to update! I actually tried it & it's edible! Yes, the exclamation points belong there - i am NOT a good cook. I definitely need to add some more spices - i usually go overboard & am not really ever sure what to use, but it worked! Eureka! There is still one bowlfull left in my freezer that i am holding off eating.

Thank you veryfluffy!

modified to clarify - not that i had doubts in your recipe, only in my abilities. I have NEVER had mushroom soup come out right before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version