News:

• April 21, 2018, 09:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mushroom Soup  (Read 3960 times)

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
Mushroom Soup
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:56:11 AM »
I've fallen in love with mushroom soup. Mushrooms and spices in general, really...but i have no idea how to make a mushroom soup from fresh mushrooms that isn't too watery or too overcooked or too oily or too tomato based. There has got to be something i'm missing.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:22:47 AM by hobgoblinish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

veryfluffy

Re: Mushroom Soup
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:25:04 AM »
Chop one large onion. Melt two ounces of butter (or heat 2 ounces oilve oil, or a combination) in a large pan. Sweat the onions until transparent -- do not let them brown. If you don't mind garlic, add one clove, crushed.

Add 1 1/2pounds of mushrooms, sliced. Kind of stir those around for a bit over medium heat, until they are soft.

Add about 1 litre of stock -- vegetable or chicken usually. (I use good stock cubes.)

Season with herbs (oregano, parsley, etc.), fresh if possible, and a few good grinds of coarse black pepper.

Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Let cool. Use a blender to puree the soup -- leaving about 1 cup unblended if you like a bit of chunkiness in the finished product.

To serve, reheat to just below boiling. Ladle into bowls. Decorate with a swirl of fresh cream (if you like that sort of thing), a slice of raw mushroom, and a sprinkling of chopped herbs.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »

Thank you! Hopefully i will get a chance to try it out this weekend - i say try because i am a notoriously bad cook, but i am trying. I'll let you know how it turns out.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DottyG

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
YUMMMM!  Thanks for the recipe!

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »
I almost forgot to update! I actually tried it & it's edible! Yes, the exclamation points belong there - i am NOT a good cook. I definitely need to add some more spices - i usually go overboard & am not really ever sure what to use, but it worked! Eureka! There is still one bowlfull left in my freezer that i am holding off eating.

Thank you veryfluffy!

modified to clarify - not that i had doubts in your recipe, only in my abilities. I have NEVER had mushroom soup come out right before.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 10:59:04 PM by hobgoblinish »
~Gaslight Anthem

Psykogrl

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
I've got a recipe that we make at work that is super tasty, and doesn't puree the mushrooms... However it makes about 15 gallons lol..

I can try to cut it down to a reasonable level if you're interested :)

Twik

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:58 PM »
Psykogrl, yes, I'm interested!
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

Me, too, if it can be done. Thanks!
~Gaslight Anthem