Author Topic: Mushroom Soup  (Read 1346 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Mushroom Soup
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:56:11 AM »
I've fallen in love with mushroom soup. Mushrooms and spices in general, really...but i have no idea how to make a mushroom soup from fresh mushrooms that isn't too watery or too overcooked or too oily or too tomato based. There has got to be something i'm missing.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 04:22:47 AM by hobgoblinish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

veryfluffy

Re: Mushroom Soup
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:25:04 AM »
Chop one large onion. Melt two ounces of butter (or heat 2 ounces oilve oil, or a combination) in a large pan. Sweat the onions until transparent -- do not let them brown. If you don't mind garlic, add one clove, crushed.

Add 1 1/2pounds of mushrooms, sliced. Kind of stir those around for a bit over medium heat, until they are soft.

Add about 1 litre of stock -- vegetable or chicken usually. (I use good stock cubes.)

Season with herbs (oregano, parsley, etc.), fresh if possible, and a few good grinds of coarse black pepper.

Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Let cool. Use a blender to puree the soup -- leaving about 1 cup unblended if you like a bit of chunkiness in the finished product.

To serve, reheat to just below boiling. Ladle into bowls. Decorate with a swirl of fresh cream (if you like that sort of thing), a slice of raw mushroom, and a sprinkling of chopped herbs.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:07:27 AM »

Thank you! Hopefully i will get a chance to try it out this weekend - i say try because i am a notoriously bad cook, but i am trying. I'll let you know how it turns out.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 12:36:40 PM »
YUMMMM!  Thanks for the recipe!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:56:56 PM »
I almost forgot to update! I actually tried it & it's edible! Yes, the exclamation points belong there - i am NOT a good cook. I definitely need to add some more spices - i usually go overboard & am not really ever sure what to use, but it worked! Eureka! There is still one bowlfull left in my freezer that i am holding off eating.

Thank you veryfluffy!

modified to clarify - not that i had doubts in your recipe, only in my abilities. I have NEVER had mushroom soup come out right before.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:59:04 PM by hobgoblinish »
~Gaslight Anthem

Psykogrl

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
I've got a recipe that we make at work that is super tasty, and doesn't puree the mushrooms... However it makes about 15 gallons lol..

I can try to cut it down to a reasonable level if you're interested :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
Psykogrl, yes, I'm interested!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 07:36:52 PM »

Me, too, if it can be done. Thanks!
~Gaslight Anthem