Author Topic: thank goodness I had 'the line' to save me from my neighbor  (Read 11585 times)

whylime13

thank goodness I had 'the line' to save me from my neighbor
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
Wow so someone who I thought was a totally cool and friendly neighbor went to crazy town this weekend.  And I'm so thankful that I have read enough stories here on E-hell to have given me some sense of what to do in this situation that I would not have normally had (I'm so gullible sometimes).

So my neighbor and I have exchanged favors a few times in the past (I gave her a ride on a snowy day, she helped me unload my car) so it wasn't that unusual when she stopped by Sunday to ask me for a ride so she could get medical supplies for her son (she has a 7 month old who is a premie with some issues plus a 3 yo).  I wasn't busy and agreed to do it.  What she described as a simple trip ended up being quite a few stops which was annoying, but she paid me enough to cover the gas, so it was no big deal.  I thought this would be the end of the story.

Boy was I wrong.  Monday after work she stops by again.  (I'd like to add I always know when its her at the door because she knocks then pushes the doorbell several times waits a few seconds and starts again)  She wants a ride again and gives me this long sob story about her sister being evicted, something about a cab and lost $150 and a cell phone.  I'd picked up on the pattern by then and said I was not available to give her a ride.  When she pressed for more details I said I had somewhere to be.  Then she asked if I could at least spot her a few dollars for the bus.  Do you ever do something and immediately regret it?  That is how I felt $5 and an un-necessary car trip later.  She was gone by the time I got back, but I had a feeling I would be seeing her again soon now that I had caved in once.

Little did I know how soon.  Last night (aka tuesday morning) at 3 am she came pounding on my door again.  I tried to just ignore it but it was clear that she was not going away.  So I answered the door and she asked me for $5 and gave some story about her grandma being on dialysis and said she would pay me back the next day.  I was so shocked that she would wake me up in the middle of the night for $5 that all I could say was 'I'm afraid that won't be possible' and I closed the door.

I wasn't even until I told my coworkers the story this morning that I realized how crazy this is.  Who does that?  Seriously, how could the $5 be that important.  Then I had to wait all day to share the story with e-hell.  Hope you enjoy it.

happy_baker

Re: thank goodness I had 'the line' to save me from my neighbor
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »
I was with you on "weird behaviour" until the $5 at three in the morning business. That's just downright insane!  :o

Edited to add emphasis.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
$5 is about what a pack of cigarettes costs these days.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
Just a thought, but given the frequency of the requests and the hour of the last one - could she have a drug habit?

whylime13

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:54:27 PM »
yeah cigs was the best explanation I could come up with.  Except they own a few gas stations around here and tend to just take the things they need from the convenience store (maybe they can't do this for cigarettes, I don't know) - I know this because we actually had to stop at 2 different ones on our Sunday trip.

Drugs is another possible explanation, and I don't know anything about that stuff, but it seems to me that $5 wouldn't get you very far

Stormtreader

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:57:23 AM »
Lots of $5s from different people will though.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »

What did she want the $5 for at 3am? Surely there were no buses at that hour. Does grandma's dialysis machine run on money?

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
From my extensive viewing of "Cops," I am led to understand that crack can be bought for a finsky. The wee-morning hour would seem to substantiate that theory.
Words mean things.

Shortcake

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
Just a thought, but given the frequency of the requests and the hour of the last one - could she have a drug habit?

I thought about this too. I also thought she might want cigarettes.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
$5 is about what a pack of cigarettes costs these days.

They're $10 bucks here.

POD on the crack theory, though.  Especially at 3 am.  With various sob stories.  I wonder what the next one will be?  >:D

BuffaloFang

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
Wow...POD on the drug habit.  I would also definitely stop answering any door knocks at 3am.  (I guess I'd include all hours between 10-7am in my exclusion list as well....heh).  She's definitely unhinged in some way...

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »
Wow!  Woken in the middle of the night AND you remembered the line?  You're my hero!  I'd be able to barely mumble before shutting the door :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »

What did she want the $5 for at 3am? Surely there were no buses at that hour. Does grandma's dialysis machine run on money?
Did anyone else get a visual of those coin operated car washes that beep to warn you that your water is about to shut off?  8)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

SunkissableOne

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »

I thought about this too. I also thought she might want cigarettes.

This was my immediate thought too.

clairesmom77

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
That is crazy. . there has to be something going on with her.  Did you say she owns some convenience stores?  I think it's strange that she owns a business and doesn't have a car.  Very weird.