Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

"So when are you going to have another tea party?"

(1/2) > >>

LadyFlyingAce:
Here's the deal:

I decided to host a small tea party for myself and some of my friends.  I spent days getting everything cleaned up and ready--this is the first apartment that I've decorated and was excited to show it off.  I also spent money on drinks, food, chocolates, and a fresh bunch of flowers for the table.

I invited four people, all four RSVP'd, and then only one person showed up.

The first person's excuse was that she was sick and couldn't go.  Well, that's fine, but I had sent out the invites two weeks before the party date, and she had my phone number.  She meant to call me, but then fell asleep in her dorm room and didn't wake up until 10 pm (the party ended at 7.) 

The second person had slipped, fallen, and sprained her arm the previous day (but did not call me until several hours after the party was to have ended.)  She was pretty mortified that she had completely forgotten to call me and apologized.

The third person forgot about the party completely. 

I guess I'm just kind of annoyed because I was really looking forward to this--the first party I ever hosted, and then no one calls to say that they aren't coming when genuine emergencies come up so that I can change plans accordingly.  It was pretty embarrassing to have food for five spread out for only two people and then wait nearly an hour after the party was supposed to have started for people that we thought were going to be late but then didn't show up at all. 

And now they are asking me if I'm going to host another party.  Am I wrong for feeling like I've been "hostessed-out?"  I really don't have much enthusiasm for doing the whole thing again, even if it means everyone wants to make up for the last time by showing up for a second party.

Maybe I could make it as potluck and then I wouldn't have to cook or have mountains of leftovers in my fridge afterwards if people don't show.

Lisbeth:
Well, I'd let the first two people off the hook because they were sick, even if you didn't hear about it in time.  When you're sick, the rest of the world often isn't your first priority.

But the third person was rude for "forgetting."

In any case, I don't think you need to do another party to make up for this one.  So I'd tell them, "I'm not sure-I'll let you know" and let some time go by so you can recuperate from the last one.

DottyG:
Don't automatically jump to a pot-luck.  Please?  I think it is so wonderful that someone's tried having a real party.  One where the guests aren't required to bring something.  It distresses me to think that this may have to be another instance where the dreaded pot-luck wins again.

Pot lucks are ok occasionally.  But, I hate that they've become the "norm."  I love going to someone's home and being a real guest for a change.  (And, reciprocating for them.)

ZipTheWonder:
Sure, you can have another one whenever you like, but for this group of guests:

"The last one wasn't so successful that I'm eager to have another one very soon.  Have you considered having one yourself?"

kiero:

--- Quote from: Dottyg on February 23, 2007, 05:18:20 PM ---Don't automatically jump to a pot-luck.  Please?  I think it is so wonderful that someone's tried having a real party.  One where the guests aren't required to bring something.  It distresses me to think that this may have to be another instance where the dreaded pot-luck wins again.

Pot lucks are ok occasionally.  But, I hate that they've become the "norm."  I love going to someone's home and being a real guest for a change.  (And, reciprocating for them.)

--- End quote ---

Some of us prefer to see our freinds often and bring something to make that work.  Given the choice of waiting until 1 person has the time and money to host our group of friends or making one dish and seeing everyone every couple weeks - I'll tkae the later.

The kind of dinner where one person does everything is nice - once in a while.  But it take so much work that it isn't soething that coan be done often.  And again - I'd rather see people often than be a 'true guest' very occationally. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version