Author Topic: "You must be anorexic."  (Read 15107 times)

Double Helix

Re: "You must be anorexic."
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
I've been thin all my life until after my third child.   In an effort to lose weight I went on a 2 week juice diet (like a fast).   I wasn't starving myself, I was perfectly fine and happy and felt great.   I happened to have company and had to cook for people but I was fine, I just drank juice along with them, and they didn't ask any questions as to why I wasn't eating.

As we were wrapping up for the evening, I opened my big mouth and told a few of them that I was "fasting".   

One of the guests was a nurse and she was all shocked about it and exclaimed that I looked "so thin".   

I beamed "thank you!  I was hoping that would happen".   

The look on her face was priceless.

Felica

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 08:45:14 PM »
This leads me to the great chocolate debate. I have the great chocolate debate several times a year. It drives me bonkers, but evidently, my refusal to eat chocolate drives other people worse bonkers. Why else would they continue to harrass me.

This is the conversation as it usually goes-

OP (other person)-Have some chocolate Felica
Me-No thank you
OP-Are you on a diet
Me-no, not really
OP-Then there's no reason not to have some. It's delish!
Me-I'm sure it is. Still, no thanks.
OP-It's chocolate!
Me-Yes, I know. I don't eat chocolate
OP-You don't eat chocolate??? Why not?
Me-Just don't
OP-Are you allergic or something?
Me-No, I just don't care for it
OP-What? Are you crazy? You don't like Chocolate?
Me-Nope
OP-Who doesn't like chocolate?
Me-I don't.
Op-Are you sure you aren't just on a diet and not telling us?
Me-No, I'm not on a diet
Op-Then you should have some of this chocolate, it's excellent
Me-No thank you

And so on.... ::)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
You are not alone, Felica.  My mother doesn't care for chocolate, either.  She enjoys many other treats, but not chocolate.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Ziggy Stardust

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »
As a chocolate lover, I don't know why anyone would harass you for not liking it - it means more chocolate for them! :)

Calbrini

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
I'm a British size 16 and I get comments from people over how much I dont eat!! Its like they cant believe because I'm not a size 8 I must be stuffing myself silly.

Marleigh

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »

I'm going to HR this afternoon to see if we can keep the sweets in the break room from now on, and to lodge a complaint about OB- he managed to infer I had an eating disorder three times last week.  >:(   I was hoping to politely ignore him, but I've really had enough.

Good for you for reporting him!  And although I know it's none of his business, this is a situation where I would probably give him more information than he gambled for just to get him to shut up.  "I don't eat sweets" sounds like you're dieting.  Something like, "I can't eat sweets, I have a blood sugar problem," would probably shut him up and embarrass him, which he deserves at this point.

bms2000

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
Glad your HR seems to be coming through for you.

I would be tempted to mumble something about cannibalism being recommended by your doctor... >:D

I get similar interesting assumptions due to the fact that I am a vegetarian. Apparently this means I am either (pick one)

a) A member of PETA
b) A vegan
c) Trying to lose weight
d) Fighting high cholesterol
e) etc. etc. etc.

Let's all say the line together friends!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 08:34:44 PM »
a) A member of PETA
DH, who is an animal lover, but not a vegetarian, says PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »
Glad your HR seems to be coming through for you.

I would be tempted to mumble something about cannibalism being recommended by your doctor... >:D

I get similar interesting assumptions due to the fact that I am a vegetarian. Apparently this means I am either (pick one)

a) A member of PETA
b) A vegan
c) Trying to lose weight
d) Fighting high cholesterol
e) etc. etc. etc.

Let's all say the line together friends!

I am a vegetarian, which apparently means I am a miltant, violent protestor who "likes their own kind", and hates all men. Hmm, that surely is a leap?

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Shea

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »
a) A member of PETA
DH, who is an animal lover, but not a vegetarian, says PETA stands for People Eating Tasty Animals. >:D

You mean it doesn't?  >:D

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
a) A member of PETA

You mean it doesn't?  >:D

Hmmm....that's what my membership card says....

OP, I totally get where you are coming from.  Up until I had my DD, I weighed around 100 lbs. soaking wet.  I was CONSTANTLY getting people commenting on how "skinny" and "underfed" I looked.  I just had a great metabolism and am a high energy person...it's also genetic for me.  Since I've had DD and become more of a desk jockey, I've gained a few pounds and look a little more average...but that doesn't stop the comments.

On the topic of food...I get people pushing sweets at me ALL.THE.TIME.  Honestly, I don't care for those types of sweets.  I've had coworkers get offended when I refuse to even taste something they made that everyone is "raving" about.  I'm sorry, but I don't see WHY I should have to "take a bite" of something that I don't want.  Why should I?  I won't appreciate it and I can already tell you that I won't be raving and demanding more.
“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” — Catherine Aird

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 02:15:54 AM »
I honestly think it might be smart for the OP to say to her office mates, "I can't eat sugar. I'd love to, and thanks for offering, but I can't eat it."

Or even, "I'm really not a big fan of sweets."

It will shut them up.

I know; I have a colleague who can't eat sugar. I used to offer her homemade cookies, etc. I didn't pressure her, but I was careful to always directly offer.

Once she explained to me that she can't eat sugar, I make a point of NOT offering them to her. (Instead, if I'm bringing cookies around, I stop and chat for three sentences or something, so we get a little social interaction to keep the 'warmth' going.)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
I honestly think it might be smart for the OP to say to her office mates, "I can't eat sugar. I'd love to, and thanks for offering, but I can't eat it."

Or even, "I'm really not a big fan of sweets."

It will shut them up.

I use the "I'm not a big fan of sweets" line because it's true.  Sometimes I'll get the craving for something sweet, usually chocolate, but I don't need dessert every day (unlike DH ;-).  For some reason, it seems to go right over their heads and they will push "just a bite" on me.   If it's so good, why are you trying to give it away?  If I don't eat any, there's more good stuff for those who appreciate it.

Once she explained to me that she can't eat sugar, I make a point of NOT offering them to her. (Instead, if I'm bringing cookies around, I stop and chat for three sentences or something, so we get a little social interaction to keep the 'warmth' going.)

That's very sweet of you to keep the "warmth" going, TootsNYC.  You recognize that food is just a way to share with your colleagues and there are other ways to bond.

Marcus Aurelius

crazedartist

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 06:24:06 PM »
The men are never questioned.

Ah, if only this were true everywhere. My husband weighs about 125 and he's 5 foot 5, and what weight he does have is muscle (making him look even thinner).

He handles it well if people are only joking (Including me!) but sometimes people can be SO rude.
"Here, I'll plop this extra unasked-for giant helping of X on your plate."
"Doesn't your wife feed you?!" (SO many things wrong with this one.)
"I thought only women and gay guys were anorexic."
etc...

I do sometimes wonder if his constant quaffing of sugary drinks will result in diabetes later, but he also seems to have that hummingbird metabolism and constant-fidget.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
*winces, realizes that she's been doing "you need to eat more, you're too thin!" to a friend for a while now* I haven't done it in a bit and will permanently knock it off. Sorry, folks.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls