Author Topic: I used it and failed.  (Read 4223 times)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
I used it and failed.
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:17:21 PM by Trishlovesdolphins »

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
Re: I used it and failed.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:43:36 PM »
Heck, you get points for not macing her.   ;)

Florida

MyFamily

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
you get more points for using the word in the filter that creates that message that always makes me giggle!

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

thebeckster

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »
You get extra points for recognizing you've got a great husband, and for being supportive to him when he hurts. I say a big BOOOOOOO on the rude woman.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
This story isn't really related to the nasty interchange at the buffet, but more related to you being a good wife to a wonderful husband.  My husband is disabled and uses a cane to get around, so I frequently fetch for him.  Fortunately, most people recognize that he is handicapped, not lazy.

My brother brought his lovely new bride to Hawaii, where we live, for their honeymoon.  We have been married over 17 years.  Our first dinner together was an all-you-can-eat Brazilian barbecue.  It's a carnivores delight!  They bring around meat on a spit and carve off whatever you want.  There's 2 small tongs on the table for 4 people.  DH always drops food from the tongs, so I wield the tongs for our team.  I place the pieces for him on his plate first, then take the next piece for myself.  New SIL is ready with "their" tongs and does exactly what I did.  She looked up at me, smiled, and said, "I'm following Midnight's lead.  She has years of experience being a good wife." ;D

What a sweetie!  I think I'm in love :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Shortcake

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
You get points for using the line. You get extra points for not going off calling her names and telling her to mind her own business!

You get bonus points for being supportive to your husband!!!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »
I wouldn't say you failed.

You just had to move to Def-Con 2 ...  >:D

Tia2

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 01:23:58 AM »
Unfortunately, I think this line depends on the person it is used on having some social graces and recognising that the subject is being closed down.

In this case, she obviously has none.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:57:33 AM »
You didn't fail, but you did meet a real boor!

celine.lechat

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »
Anyway, I make his plate, take it to him and then go to make mine. As I'm going back to get my plate a woman stopped me and said, "You need to make that lazy Ooo, I tried to get around the word filter with a nasty word. get up and get his own food." I didn't know what to say that wasn't nasty, so I just said, "That's an interesting assumption." and TRIED to keep walking. She stepped in front of me! "I'm not assuming you brought his plate."

I wouldn't say you failed. Maybe this called for a "why would I want to do that?"
Anyway, this woman you don't even know brought up a subject I wouldn't broach with any but my closest friends (maybe...). She couldn't let it be closed that easily.

Ok, I got mean. "No, but you assumed he's lazy. NOT that it is ANY of your business, my husband was up till 1am working on MY mother's car and he has hurt himself, I think that bringing him a plate of food is the LEAST a GOOD wife can do. Now, PLEASE move out of my way."

Actually you did great, shutting her up with only two replies, while remaining polite.
My answer would have been a none-too-classy "None of your businnes. Now f*** off, you would-be feminist."

TaylorMade

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »
This story isn't really related to the nasty interchange at the buffet, but more related to you being a good wife to a wonderful husband.  My husband is disabled and uses a cane to get around, so I frequently fetch for him.  Fortunately, most people recognize that he is handicapped, not lazy.

My brother brought his lovely new bride to Hawaii, where we live, for their honeymoon.  We have been married over 17 years.  Our first dinner together was an all-you-can-eat Brazilian barbecue.  It's a carnivores delight!  They bring around meat on a spit and carve off whatever you want.  There's 2 small tongs on the table for 4 people.  DH always drops food from the tongs, so I wield the tongs for our team.  I place the pieces for him on his plate first, then take the next piece for myself.  New SIL is ready with "their" tongs and does exactly what I did.  She looked up at me, smiled, and said, "I'm following Midnight's lead.  She has years of experience being a good wife." ;D

What a sweetie!  I think I'm in love :-*

That is a sweet story :)

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
Failure?  No indeed.  While some people might have given her a blunt "I don't see how this is your business," your use of "interesting assumption" opened the door to her seeing just how unjust she was being.

May I co-opt some of your explanation for future use?  I grow weary of people telling me to make my lazy some-such-or-other husband do his own laundry... ;D
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:38:18 PM »
Failure?  No indeed.  While some people might have given her a blunt "I don't see how this is your business," your use of "interesting assumption" opened the door to her seeing just how unjust she was being.

May I co-opt some of your explanation for future use?  I grow weary of people telling me to make my lazy some-such-or-other husband do his own laundry... ;D

Haha, go for it. :D

KCee

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
Your 2nd reply to her was perfect. My blood boiled for you just reading what that woman said to you!

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »
And why does anyone, much less that nosy busybody, have any right to tell you that you can't do something nice for your hubby?  I'll send myself into eHell before I let some stranger tell me how to treat my DF.  You did much better than I think I ever could have.  I have a fiery temper. ;)  Bravo Trish!