Author Topic: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."  (Read 24416 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
Where did they think the cat was going to hang out while s/he came to your apartment?  Go for a walk around the block?  Have a drink at the corner pub?

I have a vision of the cat in a movie theatre, explaining to other patrons, "Yeah, it's Tom's night out, the staff is entertaining...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »
...Any animal whose feet are touching floor surfaces or coming into contact with urine/feces have no business on eating surfaces.  And I have yet to find a cat that can be kept off them.  ...

I thought everyone had that rule?  I have never had a problem training cats to stay off eating surfaces.  I just somewhat rudely remove them from any eating surface.  They get it really quickly.  I even had an ex-bf, aka Mistake, try to train one of my cats to sit on the kitchen counter, and she refused.  I will admit the years ago I saw one of my cats sitting in the middle of the dining room table like a centerpiece.  I was about to swat her off, then I realized that I didn't remember when the last time I ate there, so I didn't expect her to.  I also train them to not walk on keyboards. 

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 11:17:01 AM »
...Any animal whose feet are touching floor surfaces or coming into contact with urine/feces have no business on eating surfaces.  And I have yet to find a cat that can be kept off them.  ...

I thought everyone had that rule?  I have never had a problem training cats to stay off eating surfaces.  I just somewhat rudely remove them from any eating surface.  They get it really quickly.  I even had an ex-bf, aka Mistake, try to train one of my cats to sit on the kitchen counter, and she refused.  I will admit the years ago I saw one of my cats sitting in the middle of the dining room table like a centerpiece.  I was about to swat her off, then I realized that I didn't remember when the last time I ate there, so I didn't expect her to.  I also train them to not walk on keyboards. 

Please please please I am begging you, come to my house and help me with my pets.
Pets in/on the bed, cat in the fridge, on the bench, I'm over run [perhaps I just have too many............. Nah, I need a goat  ;D]

I swear I've got the kids trained......They do housework and yard work............................ OK now I'm rambling and delirious, time for bedie boys night all

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 11:55:54 AM »

Mine is either really smart or phenominally stupid because I can not for the life of me get him to stay off counters and tables.

But my guests also see that I remove him quickly (I'm a mean shot with a water gun) and that all food is protected and out of reach and all surfaces are wiped down and then guarded before serving.

thebeckster

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
My cat (okay, my baby) is usually pretty well behave, as far as staying off of surfaces, counters, etc.

HOWEVER, leave a glass of water where he can see it, and he has been know to get on a chair, lean across, and head butt or swat it over, then quickly try to drink it. It's really a pain.

Peppy

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
Yes, you were right - that was beyond rude and not to be crude by "ballsy" comes to mind...

Ida

• L' Esprit d' Escalier
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »
Don't worry; the guy couldn't get his ego in through your front door anyway. Who else wants to bet he's on his way to being a surgeon? Auntie Venom? Anybody?
Where's my Barbie Action Figure??

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
Since we've lived in this apartment with these cats, there's been one guest who was cat-allergic, so Daisy and Minnie were relegated to our bedroom for the evening.  We would do the same if there were children around, as Daisy plays rough, but if someone came to our apartment and told us that they wouldn't enter unless the cats left they premises it would be them leaving the premises, not our cats. 

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »
I'm confused about the "cats on eating surfaces" issue. Yes, I wipe down my counters. But I don't put food directly on the counter anyway - it's always on a cutting board, or a plate, or in a pan. So even if I didn't wipe down the counters, the food would never come into direct contact with anything the cat walked on.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 04:29:23 PM »

Ours don't get on counters, tables or work surfaces. It doesn't happen overnight but they CAN be taught not to get up on things. (make sure they have places that they CAN go. We have built window seats in the "Good birdwatching" windows) We have trained ours with a few reminders "COUNTER!" (said in a very firm warn off tone) is a good reminder to them that the area they are staring at and checking out is not a place they are allowed. "Not Kitty Place" is another one that they know means that place is off limits to them (sewing room for example).  Sometimes simply saying their name works. Peer Pressure works great also. Downstairs we have one cat that liked to knock over the garbage when he was younger, so now when it is knocked over he gets blamed. He then goes and beats up whoever it was that really did it. If he takes the scolding and doesn't go after someone else then we know that he (as usual) did it.

The only one we have any real problems with is Morgan (the one in my picture) as she is developmentally delayed and has very little short term/long term memory. (One of these days I will tell the story of her and the Jalapeno) Even she very rarely jumps up to where she is not supposed to be and even then she usually remembers before we can say anything and jumps right back down again (sometimes she remembers midair which is REALLY funny to see)

alegria

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »
The only one we have any real problems with is Morgan (the one in my picture) as she is developmentally delayed and has very little short term/long term memory. (One of these days I will tell the story of her and the Jalapeno)

How about today?  :D

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
The only one we have any real problems with is Morgan (the one in my picture) as she is developmentally delayed and has very little short term/long term memory. (One of these days I will tell the story of her and the Jalapeno)

SRSLY. do not leave us hanging like that!!!

Oh, and as to the OP?  yeah, that jerk can take a hike.  I don't have kitties (DH is allergic) but any normal inhabitant of my house wins over any guest.  Hide pet in bedroom following polite request?  fine.  Kick pet out?  Rude request?  sorry buddy, no go.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
Mine is either really smart or phenominally stupid because I can not for the life of me get him to stay off counters and tables.

But my guests also see that I remove him quickly (I'm a mean shot with a water gun) and that all food is protected and out of reach and all surfaces are wiped down and then guarded before serving.

I practice the swipe, pause and dump method.  Imagine cat on counter, my arm swipes the cat the edge, then I pause to let him gain her feet and realize what is happening, then I push a little more and cat is on the floor, leaving cat dignity on the counter. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »
One of our kitties, Bootsie, is portly and has arthritis, so she's a 2-dimensional cat.  She can't jump up on anything except the hamper placed next to the bed so she can get up on it.  The hamper is placed there for that purpose, although I'll come & pick her up/put her down if she asks.  The impact from jumping down leaves her limping for the next couple steps.  I hope she starts responding soon to the NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) we started her on recently.  Bootsie only gets up on the bed - no other elevated surface.

Midnight is another story.  See, we think we're teaching her not to jump onto any surface where food is prepared or served.  She thinks we're teaching her not to get caught on any surface where food is prepared or served  >:D She very, very rarely lets herself get caught, but we have found an occasional pawprint in the dust on the entertainment center.  That's a grey area.  No food is served there, but jumping on the turntable while we're playing a record would be a spanking offense.

I've only caught Midnight on the kitchen counter once.  Actually, I caught her on top of the refrigerator and she had to jump on the counter to get there.  As I've said before, she's very vocal.  When I told her to "get down NOW," she replied (in cat), "Guilty with an explanation."  She actually pointed with her paw at the giant cockroach she was stalking and meowed, "A BUG, a BUG! It's a BUG!!"  (I've learned her sound for bug)  I finished off the roach & lifted her down to the floor.  I didn't punish her for that one.  She had a good explanation ;D

So, yes, cats can be trained not to jump on surfaces.  Ours are 14 years old.  I think it only took the first year to teach them the basic house rules.  They are very shy, though, and hide under the bed when we have visitors.  If someone were allergic, I would meet them somewhere else.  I've found cat hair in my desk at work, so I know everything I own has cat hair and dander on it.  Some cat allergies are so serious that the person's life is in jeopardy.  I don't want to take the chance.  If someone doesn't like cats or they are afraid, not to worry, the cats won't come out anyway.

If someone said my cats had to leave my condo for the night, I wouldn't go out of my way to meet them somewhere else.  I would never invite that person to anything ever again because I wouldn't consider them a friend. >:(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

I started a new thread : http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=32136.0

SRSLY. do not leave us hanging like that!!!

Oh, and as to the OP?  yeah, that jerk can take a hike.  I don't have kitties (DH is allergic) but any normal inhabitant of my house wins over any guest.  Hide pet in bedroom following polite request?  fine.  Kick pet out?  Rude request?  sorry buddy, no go.