Author Topic: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."  (Read 24289 times)

sbtier

• Super Hero!
Re: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 10:48:30 AM »
How rude!  Maybe he's AFRAID of cats.  My neighbor's cat ran into another neighbor's house a couple of times and he had to get her to remove the kitty, because he was deathly afraid.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
How rude!  Maybe he's AFRAID of cats.  My neighbor's cat ran into another neighbor's house a couple of times and he had to get her to remove the kitty, because he was deathly afraid.

Then he should have said so. 

His phrasing didn't sound like someone afraid, he said just doesn't like them with the unspoken message of "And the world revolves around me" at the end. 

celine.lechat

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks, everybody!

We had a great time and, as many of you suggested, took a lot of photos with our cat, discussed various pet, planned to introduce our cat (Kali) with Socrates, my cousin's rat (with every possible precaution).

Actually I didn't think of the "deadly afraid" possibility, but he didn't sound like it anyway. (but I'm going to add it to my small checklist)

Small contribution to the "cats-on-the-kitchen-counter" topic - Kali knows precisely where she's allowed to go, and nevers breaks the Rules. I usually warn her by clapping my hands loudly, twice. Then I'll just carry her bodily away from whatever she should not investigate.
As for the cat hair. That's true as well, when you have a cat you have to live with it, but it can be reduced to a level manageable to any but the worst allergics.
Those who just don't want the cat to investigate you too closely, just use a perfume that smells of oranges (I use that smell in any "sensitive" areas).

Finally, we're having another dinner soon. I loudly asked if someone else would host it, and then asked even more loudly wether they have a pet? Tomorrow I'll make sure to tell my "friend" that our next get-together is hosted by someone who doesn't have a CAT!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
We had a great time and, as many of you suggested, took a lot of photos with our cat, discussed various pet, planned to introduce our cat (Kali) with Socrates, my cousin's rat (with every possible precaution).
Here's one scenario you might not think you need to prepare for:  The rat attacking the cat.

I used to have a rabbit that weighed around 15 pounds and a rat that weighed maybe 1 pound.  I thought to myself, "Two rodents, What could they possibly to do each other?"  That's why I was not prepared for the rat attacking the rabbit, jumping on its back, and trying to bite through the rabbit's spinal cord.

My advice is to make sure there is someone assigned to each animal, both to restrain and to protect it.  Don't assume the cat is the one who will attack because, if it's a scaredy cat like my Bootsie, the rat may be the one to take the offensive.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

celine.lechat

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »
Here's one scenario you might not think you need to prepare for:  The rat attacking the cat.

Actually we talked about both possibilities. Big rat + small, belligerent cat = better safe than sorry.
(They may meet this summer when we're having a big party at my parent's summer house.)

I didn't mention the rat to my rude coworker (I didn't want to hear "eww... a rat?").
Should I suggest my cousin bring the rat to our next get-together? She left it at her home only because of my cat, she told me she carries him everywhere she's allowed to. I can't wait to meet him (the rat)!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »

Actually we talked about both possibilities. Big rat + small, belligerent cat = better safe than sorry.
(They may meet this summer when we're having a big party at my parent's summer house.)
Then I can rest assured that y'all are prepared!  ;)

I didn't mention the rat to my rude coworker (I didn't want to hear "eww... a rat?").
Should I suggest my cousin bring the rat to our next get-together? She left it at her home only because of my cat, she told me she carries him everywhere she's allowed to. I can't wait to meet him (the rat)!
I would love to hear coworder's reaction to being invited to a party where a rat will be present.  It'll be funny if s/he is cool with a rat, but a cat must be sent out of the apartment for the evening >:D

BTW - My husband grew up in a big city.  He couldn't understand why anyone would have a rat for a pet.  To him, rats are just another pest, like cockroaches, to be exterminated on sight - NOT fed!  I had Peter Rattit for 5 years.  He was a good rat, just not a good buddy to the rabbit.

Another BTW - the rabbit mixed it up with the beagle next door and it came out a tie.  The beagle had a rabbit bite on his nose and the rabbit was missing the skin on his nose where he went back under the fence at top speed.  Both combatants retired to their respective back yards, never to dig under the fence again.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »
Aww. I always feel sorry for rats. rats and pigeons. Why do people hate them so much? DH hates rats (he's scared of rats and mice, but wont admit it). I just feel sorry for them, we live in an area which is full of them, I couldn't bring myself to hurt one though.

celine.lechat

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
BTW - My husband grew up in a big city.  He couldn't understand why anyone would have a rat for a pet.  To him, rats are just another pest, like cockroaches, to be exterminated on sight - NOT fed!  I had Peter Rattit for 5 years.  He was a good rat, just not a good buddy to the rabbit.

You had a rat? Is there annything I should be prepared for before my cousin introduces me to her rat?
I'm actually a bit afraid of rodents (trying to get over it; plus, if he's my cousin's pet he can't be bad or dangerous).
As I've never met a pet rat before... (I feel silly writing this!)

I think most people don't understand why someone would have a pet that is neither a cat nor a dog. I remember meeting a vet and asking him if he's had to take care of unusual pets (serpents, rats, weasels...).
He haughtily answered "I don't work on unusual pets!" (tried to render the snotty phrasing, and he used a slang word for "unusual pets").

Aww. I always feel sorry for rats. rats and pigeons. Why do people hate them so much? DH hates rats (he's scared of rats and mice, but wont admit it). I just feel sorry for them, we live in an area which is full of them, I couldn't bring myself to hurt one though.

Wild rats? Aren't those dangerous?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
I actually rather like pigeons; they have attitude.  Check out the 3rd video on this list:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Goodfeathers&search_type=

andi

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »
i'm so glad you went ahead with your dinner plans and had a good time with polite guests.  i can't even begin to imagine the nerve of someone demanding you put your cat out for the evening!

hubby is of the "deathly allergic to cats" variety, as i my mother, so all my life the first question asked of someone "new" inviting us over is "do you have a cat"?  My husband is good for about 2-15 minutes depending on the variety of cat before the asthma kicks in and his throat starts to close. 

Bless the hearts of everyone who we've had to decline that tell us "but i plan to vaccuum that day" Unfortunately some people don't understand that the dander is everywhere and other than a professional cleaning of walls, curtains, furniture - there's just no way we could attened and have hubby survive.  We usually invite our "cat friends" over as soon as possible after having to decline an invite. 

Elaan of Troyius

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 10:38:36 PM »

I totally agree that the person who told you to get rid of your cat (even if only for that one evening) was waaaayyyy out of line.

However...please, please, please...don't introduce the rat to the cat...please, please, pretty please? Your cousin isn't moving in to live with you, or you moving in to live with him or her, are you?  That's a rhetorical question BTW (the answer isn't any of my business), I'm just hoping to get you to consider whether there's an actual need for Kali and Socrates to meet. The example of you and your cousin moving in together is the only one I could think of which would actually necessitate this introduction, because if it was applicable, neither of you would or should get rid of your fuzzies! If there isn't a real reason, please don't.  It's not worth the risk. Pleeeeeease?

I admit it: I'm concerned about the rat. I wouldn't want anything to happen to your cat of course, but I totally love rats. Back in the 90s I had dozens of them. I only stopped after my last rat, Pestis, died, because I had become allergic; once that happened, as they passed on, I didn't get any more. Now I collect toy rats....

There are people who have rats and cats, or rats and dogs, and occasions where the cat or dog and some of the rats are "friends" -- they play and sleep cuddled together and so on, but in the overwhelming majority of these cases, they were introduced as baby kittens or baby puppies and baby ratlings who grew up together. That's the only situation I'd even consider trusting, even with tight supervision, letting a rat be uncaged in the presence of any cat or dog.

~Elaan.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 03:18:15 AM »

Wild rats? Aren't those dangerous?
Potentially, I guess. There are lots of them where I live, and I've never been attacked or caught a disease from one, I suppose it depends how close you get. I just think people are unnecessarily cruel to them. I know a guy once who trapped a rat in a cage and poured boiling water over it until it died in pain.   :'( I never spoke to him again.

Elaan of Troyius

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
Yes, there is a big difference between domesticated and wild rats. Wild rats are best left alone. Domesticated rats are the ones from pet shops, hobby irresponsible parents and laboratories, and these are clean and make great pets. When I had pet rats, they all came from pet shops, rat fanciers who deliberately encourage mating/offspring, and even a lab (well, I got mice from the lab but I did get one pregnant Sprague-Dawley lab rat once). So no, I didn't go catch any from out in the streets. :D

The wild ones do carry diseases, but in order for them to bite you or otherwise make you sick, yes, you have to actually have physical contact with them and/or the disease-carrying parasites they harbor. While there are infrequent exceptions, very basically and in general you'll be OK if you follow this rule of thumb: if you stay away from them, they'll stay away from you. The same, with regards to diseases, applies to wild mice and squirrels -- you shouldn't really try to make pets of them either.

Edited to fix censor, I originally ended up with rat "irresponsible parents."
~Elaan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:30:54 PM by Elaan of Troyius »

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:13 PM »
Yes, there is a big difference between domesticated and wild rats. Wild rats are best left alone. Domesticated rats are the ones from pet shops, hobby irresponsible parents and laboratories, and these are clean and make great pets. When I had pet rats, they all came from pet shops, rat fanciers who deliberately encourage mating/offspring, and even a lab (well, I got mice from the lab but I did get one pregnant Sprague-Dawley lab rat once). So no, I didn't go catch any from out in the streets. :D

I admit to taking quite an offense at the way you state that rat fanciers are irresponsible. Not all of them are!  There are some that are very responsible but DO breed their rats for a very specific purpose, to preserve genetic bloodlines/improve the species. Not all irresponsible parents of the human variety are irresponsible and your post is very offensive to state that they are.

My housemates got pet rats from a irresponsible parent of the human variety who breeds for specific personalities. He will only breed rats that are calm and friendly. He looks at it from the point of view of "would this rat be a good pet for my 5 year old child" if the answer is no then he will not breed it. He also only breeds enough rats for the people who are looking for them. Generally there is about a 1-2 year waiting list for his rats. He does NOT overbreed and is a very responsible person.

Elaan of Troyius

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »
I admit to taking quite an offense at the way you state that rat fanciers are irresponsible. Not all of them are!  There are some that are very responsible but DO breed their rats for a very specific purpose, to preserve genetic bloodlines/improve the species. Not all irresponsible parents are irresponsible and your post is very offensive to state that they are.

My housemates got pet rats from a irresponsible parent who breeds for specific personalities. He will only breed rats that are calm and friendly. He looks at it from the point of view of "would this rat be a good pet for my 5 year old child" if the answer is no then he will not breed it. He also only breeds enough rats for the people who are looking for them. Generally there is about a 1-2 year waiting list for his rats. He does NOT overbreed and is a very responsible person.

With all due respect, in this case it's the forum board censor who is being rude -- to both of us! It changed my original word to "irresponsible parent," a comment to which you (understandably) took offense. I absolutely, positively do not think, and most certainly did not say, that fanciers who (hm, let's try this) b-r-e-e-d their rats are irresponsible. Please, let me reiterate this: it was the board censor which changed my original word.  The board censor would not let me use the word hmmm, let's try this: "b-r-e-e-d-er" -- that was the word I originally used, to describe those who put males and females together for the sake of obtaining offspring. When I previewed my post and saw the change, I repeatedly attempted numerous different phrasings which would allow me to describe rat b-r-e-e-d-i-n-g in such a way as to get around the censor.

I have to admit that when CelticGemini told me about the EHell forum, she mentioned to me that the forum board had a censor that didn't limit itself to simply screening out profanity and obscenity, and in fact she did mention that the word I was trying to use had been affected, and how, because apparently there was a problem with militant child-free members using that word disparagingly with regards to human parents, and then she added as an aside, "I bet it makes it hard to talk about dog b-r-e-e-d-e-r-s!"

Well, it was about a month ago when I started lurking here after CelticGemini told me about it, and while I know not to use profanity on forums in general, and talking about rat fanciers isn't profane or obscene in itself, I kind of forgot about it. Until now, when it kicked me in the face. There's a thread in another area about the board censor, I'll go post there and ask what the forum mods and admins can do about it, if anything.

~Elaan.