Author Topic: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."  (Read 24514 times)

FunkyMunky

Re: "Just get your cat out of your apartment."
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2008, 07:49:51 AM »

Our rabbit was an awesome guard dog. As soon as the gate swung shut, it would chase whoever banged the gate. Best.prank.ever.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
I have a question for the severely-cat-allergic: are you ok with a cat owner away from the home where the pet is?

I suspect (no, I know) that even my fresh-out-of-the machine clean clothes probably have some cat hair on them by the time I put them on. If I went out to lunch with you, sat next to you in a crowded movie theater, or hugged you, would I have enough "cat' on me to give you a problem?

I'm not allowed to snuggle kitties when DH might be around, because I might give him hives :(  However, just being around someone who has cats is usually OK, mostly because DH is non-physical with those he isn't very close to.

You can be that when I visit my parents alone, the family cat gets snuggled whether she likes it or not!  Every so often I'll see a cute picture or read a cute story and say, "I wish I could have a kitty!"  I'm trying not to because it upsets DH, but I told him he should be reassured--I lurve kitties but I still picked him!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »
Several years ago, I made my baby brother (he was almost thirty but I was thirty-four) a stuffed dog and hand printed a label for it as an "Apartment Pet" listing all the ways it could handle apartment living when a REAL dog couldn't.  It sounds like you need a nice stuffed cat - a label saying "Hypo-Allergic Cat" would be optional.........I've even seen a toy cat that comes with kittens and meows & purrs.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »
a label saying "Hypo-Allergic Cat" would be optional.........I've even seen a toy cat that comes with kittens and meows & purrs.

A bit O/T, I know, but LOOK! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5375900.stm A REAL LIVE HYPOALLERGENIC CAT!!!

LB

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:37 PM »

Our rabbit was an awesome guard dog. As soon as the gate swung shut, it would chase whoever banged the gate. Best.prank.ever.

"Run away!"   :D

What, overdone? Sorry...

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
a label saying "Hypo-Allergic Cat" would be optional.........I've even seen a toy cat that comes with kittens and meows & purrs.

A bit O/T, I know, but LOOK! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5375900.stm A REAL LIVE HYPOALLERGENIC CAT!!!

Believe me, if I could afford a $3000 cat and they really are hypoallergenic...

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2008, 03:11:23 PM »
I lurve kitties but I still picked him!
You are sweet, Xallanthia.  Your DH is a lucky guy :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Sneezy

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:50 AM »

"Run away!"   :D

What, overdone? Sorry...

: falls over, laughing :

MissRose

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2008, 09:02:58 AM »
If a guest has a problem with pet allergies, either they make the choice to protect themselves with their medication ahead of time, or choose to meet in a place that is pet free. 

I say it is rude that pets would have to banished from a home due to people being allergic, etc. 

Most animals can be confined to a room wit the door closed or a cage of some kind if they are less than polite towards guests.

My brother in law is allergic to cat and dog fur.  He uses medication, and knows better not to put himself in a situation where his allergies cause him issues.  I love cats and dogs but I will not get either type of animal as he would never be able to visit without medicating himself & having his inhaler nearby.

Minervah

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
OMIGOSH! When I read the title of your post I thought someone was forcing you to get rid of your kitty! :'(
I'm glad that is not the case.

I think that person who made the request was way out of line. Your cat lives there he doesn't. How rude of him. You did the absolute correct thing by uninviting. It is your home and you make the calls as to who goes and who stays. 

bms2000

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
The phrase "Don't let the door hit you on the way out" comes to mind.
What a (filtered word).

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
I had a Golden Retriever/White Shepard mix dog before I moved to Hawaii.  She had her own cat.  The dog had been around our older cats since she was a puppy, so she was socialized to cats.  Then we took her to my ex-BIL's where his cat had a litter of kittens.  GingerBear played with the litter and picked one of the kittens, so we let her keep it.  She cared for that kitten like it was her own.  She even tried to nurse the kitten! The kitten grew up to be a 20 pound "Great White" cat.  She would hold the dog's face between her paws & lick her face clean.  They would sleep cuddled up together. So cute!

My sister's cat Spike had a pet cat. She was a neighborhood stray and was terrified of people. I pet her once, after spending a good half hour talking to her and coaxing her up the steps to our deck where they would get fed. My dad used to feed them and the dog (who liked cats) and he said every once in a while if he had one hand on Pupdog and one hand on Spike, Squadcar (the kitten - she was black & white like a squad car) would come up and rub next to Spike and then get freaked out and run away again. She followed Spike wherever he went, they groomed each other and everything. It was so cute. We could actually sit out on our deck and watch him teach her out in the back yard. He would do something, look at her, and she would mimic him. I've never seen anything like those two. I've had a few cats myself; but Spike was hands down the coolest cat ever.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

LadyofMaine

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »
You should have said it's the cat's apartment and you are subletting.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
You should have said it's the cat's apartment and you are subletting.

Or that you are the cat's employees.  Heaven knows, that's how I sometimes feel when....What, sir?  You need something?  Oops, gotta run.  My master's voice.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

thebeckster

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
The bad part are the various twitches my sister and I have developed. We speak about "him" in hushed tones, darting glances towards the door, to make sure "he isn't coming in and will overhear us.

Yes, the cat is the King chez nous.