Author Topic: "Redneck" and "Trailer Trash"  (Read 14034 times)

keelhaulrose

"Redneck" and "Trailer Trash"
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:12:41 AM »
Feel free to move this if this isn't where this goes.

Just a small request, and it expands upon previous topics. Can we refrain from automatically calling beer-swilling, underdressed, etc guests trailer trash and rednecks? I am married to a "proud redneck" (and is rapidly converting me) who comes from a family of them and it upsets him when I'm reading a story and a guest like the aboveforementioned is automatically given the "redneck" label. We'd like to point out that most people in trailer parks and most rednecks actually do know how to dress for weddings and adhere to etiquette, and it's a small pet peeve of ours that anyone who can't figure out how to act socially is somewhat automatically referred to as one of these terms. I've literally seen millionares pulling the same stunts.

Pixie

Re: "Redneck" and "Trailer Trash"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »

Just a small request, and it expands upon previous topics. Can we refrain from automatically calling beer-swilling, underdressed, etc guests trailer trash and rednecks? I am married to a "proud redneck" (and is rapidly converting me) who comes from a family of them and it upsets him when I'm reading a story and a guest like the aboveforementioned is automatically given the "redneck" label. We'd like to point out that most people in trailer parks and most rednecks actually do know how to dress for weddings and adhere to etiquette, and it's a small pet peeve of ours that anyone who can't figure out how to act socially is somewhat automatically referred to as one of these terms. I've literally seen millionares pulling the same stunts.

May I still use "tacky" and "Trashy"    I'm sorry, other than rude, mean-spirited, greedy, and self-centered, I really have no other way of describing some (not all) of my relatives.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
Now, keelhaulrose, you're removing one of the last regional stereotypes that it's still culturally permissible (in the U.S.) to drag out when necessary to treat an individual with disrespect. 

Not very sporting of you.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
Gee - all the good one or two word descriptive phrases that most people recognize the stereotype that they derive from are being taken away. 

Guess this means that we have to find or invent our own two or three word phrases to use in the future - but make sure that they are politically correct.

May I submit the following?

The "hygienically challenged" would refer to those who don't shower, shave, shampoo, or brush their teeth and are so odoriferous that you wouldn't need a dog to track them - most people could do it as long as the tracker had a working sense of smell. 

"Chronically underclad" would refer to those who have insufficient fabric to protect their modesty and/or health (skimpy attire or not bothered to wear a coat in freezing temperatures).

"Chronically casually clad" would be for those who under-dress for the occasion - but generally do have "enough fabric" to cover the essentials.  Like the jeans and t-shirt clad at an afternoon wedding at a formal venue or those in similar attire at a symphony (as opposed to a Guns & Roses concert - where the t-shirts with the band's photo might be de rigor).

"Behaviourally challenged" would be too short a phrase for many situations - so three to five words might be needed...........if only to explain WHERE the short-comings are being displayed.  The church whisperer, the theater talker, the lipsmacking snacker, the gum cracker, and such are only the barest beginnings........

HOA Nayboors is a well documented phenomenon - with Nayboors being a short form to use for anyone living next to someone who would much rather they had someone else, anyone else living there.........

I'm still trying to come up with something printable for those who park in a handicapped slot with the only handicap seems to be an inability to SEE the handicap symbol.  Or understand that THEY are not members of the class of people who are legally entitled to park there (possessing both a bona fide handicap AND a valid parking sticker or hang tag).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kathrynne

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I'm still trying to come up with something printable for those who park in a handicapped slot with the only handicap seems to be an inability to SEE the handicap symbol.  Or understand that THEY are not members of the class of people who are legally entitled to park there (possessing both a bona fide handicap AND a valid parking sticker or hang tag).
It may not be PC, but I'm sticking with that other word for rectum for these folks.  >:D

smarterthanu213

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 12:51:54 AM »

This describes my mother perfectly and I wish it were not so. May I submit "Ethically, morally, and exceedingly scrupulously challenged" for the categorization of such individuals?

The term 'trailer trash' really bothers me. One of my best friends lives in a very dirty, trashy, disgusting trailer park. However, she is one of the sweetest, kindest, and most selfless people I know; and she is not trashy at all.

LuckyDucky

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 04:20:17 AM »
You could always use my favourite word to describe people who seserve eHell - BOGAN.

It is, as far as I know, an Australian term and NO-ONE is ever proud to be a bogan.  Bogans are the trashy, uneducated, rude, severely misguided people who inhabit our world.  Unfortunately, my town is FULL of them and my family in law is as well.

It is a blanket stereotype for spoilt brats, terrible teens and horrific adults.  Anyone found exhibiting behaviour worthy of eHell (or Jerry Springer) is a Bogan.  Anyone wearing something terrible (be it lycra hotpants on a larger lady, sexy clothing on a child, or remnants from the 80's - let it die people!) is a Bogan.  Not sure about people like Crazy HOA Lady - I think she is just a fruit loop

Feel free to use it - they won't find out.  According to them, computers are for geeks and losers.  ;D

Lunadiana75

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:27 AM »
I am trying to bring back the words "gauche"and "vulgar" into everyday conversation.

fklwmn

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »

Of course there is no rule that millionaires cannot be rednecks or white trash - in fact, I'm sure that some of them are!

FWIW, I am the daughter of a redneck who knows how to dress appropriately and can (for the most part) behave appropriately in public. And I live in an area that is probably 70% rednecks... I still use these as descriptive terms... sometimes in a negative way and sometimes in a positive way. There is, after all, an appropriate way to use redneck as a descriptive term, otherwise your husband would not classify himself as one. The mistake is when people assume that being a redneck is automatically a negative thing. I'm personally not offended by somoene using the redneck description in a negative way as long as they understand that it is not an inherently negative description.

Of course, my mother was once accused of racial discrimination at work for referring to my father as a redneck (in the positive way, btw...) at work in front of an african american subordinate who said that it was racism because ALL rednecks are racist. HA! I'm not sure you could GET less racist than my dad. Of course, this woman would not understand that b/c she has never met him and does not understand the positive connotations of the term redneck.

Trash is Trash... white or otherwise.  I'm not sure how you put a positive spin on that. but I'm also not sure how that relates to the term redneck, b/c while they are often confused by people who don't know any better - rednecks and white trash are completely separate sects :)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »
...does not understand the positive connotations of the term redneck.

Shall I get out my Billy Ray Cyrus CDs?

"Take me to redneck Heaven when I'm dead and gone...
Where my Southern roots are buried, VanZandt still lives on..."

Sorry. 8)

FYI - in South Africa we also have the term, but in Afrikaans: "rooinek" which literally means red neck - except a "rooinek" is slang for a British person or person of British extraction, due to the fact that British people's necks turn red in the African sun! I don't mind being called a rooinek - I AM of British extraction and I do turn red in the sun!!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Pixie

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 09:35:47 AM »
I'm waiting for the terms "white-collar" and "Blue-Collar"   to be seen as racist.   I know it will happen as some folks can chose to be offended at calling a child a child.

I was at a party one night and one of the  other wives was very offended that I replied "Housewife" when asked what my job was.    She claimed I wasn't married to my house so housewife was sexist.    I am a housewife, whether she likes it or not.

fklwmn

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »
I'm waiting for the terms "white-collar" and "Blue-Collar"   to be seen as racist.   I know it will happen as some folks can chose to be offended at calling a child a child.

I was at a party one night and one of the  other wives was very offended that I replied "Housewife" when asked what my job was.    She claimed I wasn't married to my house so housewife was sexist.    I am a housewife, whether she likes it or not.

ummm.. you are a married woman, therefore a wife. I could MAYBE understand an argument that the term housewife is improper... but SEXIST? lol!!!

kathrynne

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »
I'm waiting for the terms "white-collar" and "Blue-Collar"   to be seen as racist.   I know it will happen as some folks can chose to be offended at calling a child a child.

I'm a geek. The house can fend for itself, and it's not doing well.

fklwmn

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »
  Like the jeans and t-shirt clad at an afternoon wedding at a formal venue or those in similar attire at a symphony (as opposed to a Guns & Roses concert - where the t-shirts with the band's photo might be de rigor).

Ooooh, actually its a faux pas to wear a t-shirt representing the band you've come to see. *grin*

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

O.M.G. I thought I was the only one who knew that rule!! people think I am crazy when I say that at concerts!! And you know, I am lenient... I won't say anything if it's a t-shirt from last year's tour, but when I see you with the one you just bought 5 minutes ago over top of an outfit it CLEARLY does not suit... THAT is when I get snarky! .

ETA: I get snarky in commentary to my friends - NEVER would I say something to the person wearing the tshirt!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 10:50:07 AM »

I don't like that "you're not married to your house" comeback. No, you're not. But then again, that's not what "housewife" means. Housewife is no more a sexist term than wife itself is.