News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 08:20:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Redneck" and "Trailer Trash"  (Read 22282 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: "Redneck" and "Trailer Trash"
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 10:56:09 AM »
I'm almost ready to debut a new feature of the web site called "Cast of Characters" comprised mostly of images from my collection of vintage post cards and photos.  The original purpose of the Cast was to help people use fictitious names when writing stories they submit rather using abbreviations or initials.  However, I see it can also help with stereotypes.

Once I figure out how to wrap text around these images, I'll post the URL and open it up for people to name these cast members. 

Twik

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
I'm waiting for the terms "white-collar" and "Blue-Collar"   to be seen as racist.   I know it will happen as some folks can chose to be offended at calling a child a child.

I was at a party one night and one of the  other wives was very offended that I replied "Housewife" when asked what my job was.    She claimed I wasn't married to my house so housewife was sexist.    I am a housewife, whether she likes it or not.

I don't like that "you're not married to your house" comeback. No, you're not. But then again, that's not what "housewife" means. Housewife is no more a sexist term than wife itself is.
Is a fishwife married to a fish?  ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Buffy2424

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »
Housewife is no more a sexist term than wife itself is.

A teenage boy once admonished me, saying that "wife" was a derogatory word.  I was stunned, but I know where it comes from -- his father, who speaks ill of women.

ginlyn32

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »
Okay...I admit, I am clueless.  :-[

WHY is is a faux pas to wear the concert t-shirt at the KISS concert or whatever? I thought that was what one was supposed to wear.

Ofcourse, I don't go to many concerts...although I would love to see KISS sometime! I love Gene Simmons!

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

kathrynne

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »
Okay...I admit, I am clueless.  :-[

WHY is is a faux pas to wear the concert t-shirt at the KISS concert or whatever? I thought that was what one was supposed to wear.

Ofcourse, I don't go to many concerts...although I would love to see KISS sometime! I love Gene Simmons!

Ginger
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in never having heard this "rule."

KISS was my first concert, BTW. Cobo Hall in 1977. Wow, I'm olde.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »
  Like the jeans and t-shirt clad at an afternoon wedding at a formal venue or those in similar attire at a symphony (as opposed to a Guns & Roses concert - where the t-shirts with the band's photo might be de rigor).

Ooooh, actually its a faux pas to wear a t-shirt representing the band you've come to see. *grin*

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

So you buy a tshirt at THIS concert to wear to the next concert by a totally different band?

Or just wear Beatles tshirts the rest of your life no matter which band is playing from now until 2193?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
I'm almost ready to debut a new feature of the web site called "Cast of Characters" comprised mostly of images from my collection of vintage post cards and photos.  The original purpose of the Cast was to help people use fictitious names when writing stories they submit rather using abbreviations or initials.  However, I see it can also help with stereotypes.

Once I figure out how to wrap text around these images, I'll post the URL and open it up for people to name these cast members. 

Please - this sounds like a lovely contest!!!

I can't wait!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Twik

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 06:21:40 PM »
I think the idea that buying a band shirt at a concert and immediately putting it on indicated that you were trying too hard to look cool. You are, in fact, a newbie trying to look like an oldbie.  8)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
  She claimed I wasn't married to my house so housewife was sexist.    I am a housewife, whether she likes it or not.

She seems to have forgotten that the women who burned their bras so that she didn't have to be a housewife, also burned their bras so that you could be one.

Heavenly

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:07 PM »
I am trying to bring back the words "gauche"and "vulgar" into everyday conversation.

Love it!  Reminds me of the exotic actress in Singing in Rain who declares the talking film, "Vulgar".  LOL

I'll do my part.   ;)

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 09:04:01 PM »
Feel free to move this if this isn't where this goes.

Just a small request, and it expands upon previous topics. Can we refrain from automatically calling beer-swilling, underdressed, etc guests trailer trash and rednecks? I am married to a "proud redneck" (and is rapidly converting me) who comes from a family of them and it upsets him when I'm reading a story and a guest like the aboveforementioned is automatically given the "redneck" label. We'd like to point out that most people in trailer parks and most rednecks actually do know how to dress for weddings and adhere to etiquette, and it's a small pet peeve of ours that anyone who can't figure out how to act socially is somewhat automatically referred to as one of these terms. I've literally seen millionares pulling the same stunts.

Ok, I'm going out a limb here and trying to stay on topic.  Keelhaul, please, please, please don't take this personally, it is not intended to offend you or for you to think I am attacking you, it is just my take on the comment.

I grew up in the "backwoods Maine"... I have many friends and family members who are born, and bred lifestyle "rednecks".  Jeff Foxworthy has made millions poking fun at these types of people.  I've never ever heard one of them get offended by being called a redneck.  In fact, they take great pride in their lifestyle choice and live to laugh at Jeff and Bill Engvall's jokes.

I will never ever discontinue my usage of this term, it is almost a place of honor to the people I know.  It refers to people who are "simple" in their lives.  They don't require the standards of of a "city dweller", are happy with what they have, but generally speaking, rednecks have manners, they're just a little rough around the edges when it comes to social graces.  This only being because socail graces aren't part of their culture, they're not important to them, and that's their prerogative.  If they offend someone, I really don't think they care, as long as they're happy with themselves, what other people think doesn't bother them.  I love my redneck friends... it reminds me quite often that the things in life that stress me out, are really not so important.  Again this is a general term... there's always exceptions (I've noticed I have to add this a lot with my posts since I get flammed with the few exceptions to the rule).

Trailer Trash is also a term I'm pretty familiar with.  IMHO, Trailer Trash does not refer to everyone who lives in a trailer home (or a trailer park) just litterally implies that they are the trash of a trailer home.  I view it that a Trailer home is a "disposable home".  They are not built to last, they are generally inexpensive to erect and will one day end up in a dump.  Therefore making Trailer Trash, the dump of a home that inevitably will be in the dump.  I know that's confusing, but it's just how I see things.  Trailer Trash is a pretty serious slur where I come from, right up there with "white trash". 

I can see quite often in these stories where people insert redneck as a slur, and I get a little agitated over it, but since I've moved to live near Boston, find it common and have learned to roll with the punches and generally try to educate people on the true meaning of the word.  I don't find it as hurtful as a lot of other racist and stereotypical slurs out there, it could be a lot worse ya know.

Anyway, just my take on it, I'm sure I'll get flamed, but it was set forth as a question more than a request, so I'm stating my opinion on the matter.  If there weren't stereotypes like these, stories would be a heck of a lot longer while we tried to figure out what kind of person they are talking about by reading long personality descriptions.

madMOH

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 02:01:34 PM »
First off being southern that is the term we use, " Redneck", for uneducated, illiterate, vulgar, ill mannered and pretty much people who should never come out into polite society until they learn to act better than the 1yr. old they are sitting next to.  This term not only applies to the low income families but to the millionares.  As for the trailer trash, if you are a redneck as described above and then you are considered trailer trash, these are southern terms, just like anything else in the English language that does not describe a group of people in the best light, so if you do not like those terms, a make something else up and do not be proud to be a redneck even if Jeff Foxworthy says so, even since southerns made that word up we do not consider it a term of endearment.  And that word covers a multitude of households from the poor to the disgustingly rich.  Live with it and call your in-laws something else.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »
  She claimed I wasn't married to my house so housewife was sexist.    I am a housewife, whether she likes it or not.

She seems to have forgotten that the women who burned their bras so that she didn't have to be a housewife, also burned their bras so that you could be one.

Absolutely. I must admit, if I stayed at home and did not do paid work, I would not refer to myself by the term "housewife". For similar etymological reasons. (Given my general standards of tidiness [or rather lack of same], "house-casual-affair" might be more appropriate in my case anyhow ;) ).

But that's because I have an issue with that word being used to describe me.

Not other people self-identifying as such.

I'm all for (civilly) calling people out on demeaning or insulting language, but this is purely a semantics issue here. Rude woman.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:51 PM »
Feel free to move this if this isn't where this goes.

Just a small request, and it expands upon previous topics. Can we refrain from automatically calling beer-swilling, underdressed, etc guests trailer trash and rednecks? I am married to a "proud redneck" (and is rapidly converting me) who comes from a family of them and it upsets him when I'm reading a story and a guest like the aboveforementioned is automatically given the "redneck" label. We'd like to point out that most people in trailer parks and most rednecks actually do know how to dress for weddings and adhere to etiquette, and it's a small pet peeve of ours that anyone who can't figure out how to act socially is somewhat automatically referred to as one of these terms. I've literally seen millionares pulling the same stunts.

Ok, I'm going out a limb here and trying to stay on topic.  Keelhaul, please, please, please don't take this personally, it is not intended to offend you or for you to think I am attacking you, it is just my take on the comment.

I grew up in the "backwoods Maine"... I have many friends and family members who are born, and bred lifestyle "rednecks".  Jeff Foxworthy has made millions poking fun at these types of people.  I've never ever heard one of them get offended by being called a redneck.  In fact, they take great pride in their lifestyle choice and live to laugh at Jeff and Bill Engvall's jokes.

I will never ever discontinue my usage of this term, it is almost a place of honor to the people I know.  It refers to people who are "simple" in their lives.  They don't require the standards of of a "city dweller", are happy with what they have, but generally speaking, rednecks have manners, they're just a little rough around the edges when it comes to social graces.  This only being because socail graces aren't part of their culture, they're not important to them, and that's their prerogative.  If they offend someone, I really don't think they care, as long as they're happy with themselves, what other people think doesn't bother them.  I love my redneck friends... it reminds me quite often that the things in life that stress me out, are really not so important.  Again this is a general term... there's always exceptions (I've noticed I have to add this a lot with my posts since I get flammed with the few exceptions to the rule).

Trailer Trash is also a term I'm pretty familiar with.  IMHO, Trailer Trash does not refer to everyone who lives in a trailer home (or a trailer park) just litterally implies that they are the trash of a trailer home.  I view it that a Trailer home is a "disposable home".  They are not built to last, they are generally inexpensive to erect and will one day end up in a dump.  Therefore making Trailer Trash, the dump of a home that inevitably will be in the dump.  I know that's confusing, but it's just how I see things.  Trailer Trash is a pretty serious slur where I come from, right up there with "white trash". 

I can see quite often in these stories where people insert redneck as a slur, and I get a little agitated over it, but since I've moved to live near Boston, find it common and have learned to roll with the punches and generally try to educate people on the true meaning of the word.  I don't find it as hurtful as a lot of other racist and stereotypical slurs out there, it could be a lot worse ya know.

Anyway, just my take on it, I'm sure I'll get flamed, but it was set forth as a question more than a request, so I'm stating my opinion on the matter.  If there weren't stereotypes like these, stories would be a heck of a lot longer while we tried to figure out what kind of person they are talking about by reading long personality descriptions.

>applause<

...besides, how can you say one is proud to be X in one breath and then ask that X not be used to describe people in the next? That makes no sense. It's not even as if you are using a different word, i.e. I am proud to be a woman, please don't call women chicks; you are saying my husband is proud to be a redneck and i want to be one, too, please don't call people rednecks.

I'm sorry, but, no, that does not work.

-melanie ... who has bona-fide banjo pluckin' hill-dwellin' toothless rednecks in her family tree.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 07:47:12 PM »

May I still use "tacky" and "Trashy"    I'm sorry, other than rude, mean-spirited, greedy, and self-centered, I really have no other way of describing some (not all) of my relatives.

I'd say that is fine.  "Tacky" or "trashy" don't automatically implicate any particular physical or geographical group as far as I know of, just the behaviorally challenged.

(A few years ago, I was in a dispute with a roommate that was mediated by our RA.  She complained that she thought I considered her to be "trailer trash."  I refrained from replying, "I don't think any such thing--I think you're perfectly ordinary trash!")