Author Topic: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?  (Read 87058 times)

Auryn Grigori

Re: From E-Hell Blog: Do People Listen To The Lyrics?
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2013, 03:47:15 AM »
One of the weirdest songs I have ever hear for a wedding (this one in Glee, and the show has a habit of inappropriate songs) was Bruno Mars' "I Think I Wanna Marry You." To me, a song about getting married because you have nothing better to do is a bit odd. "It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I want to marry you." What every woman wants to hear as a proposal. >:D

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »
My cousin and his wife chose 'Baby Got Back' for their first dance because, to use their words, it was a song that followed them throughout their relationship - it was playing the first time they met, when my cousin asked her out, in the car on their first date. It was fun watching them try to slow dance to it!
There is a mellow, slow version of it - can't remember who sings it. I heard it one night as background music at a bar/restaurant. I kind of like it.  ;D
Jonathon Coulton. He is awesome. He also did a song called "I'm Your Moon." It was based on the whole Pluto not being a planet thing, with Charon consoling the no longer planet
That sounds really great! I'll have to look that one up, thanks.
If you like unusual cover versions of songs, John Cheese does lounge singer covers of alternative/rock/rap/metal songs. They are... odd.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

lollylegs

« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
One of the weirdest songs I have ever hear for a wedding (this one in Glee, and the show has a habit of inappropriate songs) was Bruno Mars' "I Think I Wanna Marry You." To me, a song about getting married because you have nothing better to do is a bit odd. "It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I want to marry you." What every woman wants to hear as a proposal. >:D

There was an 90s R&B song called Let's Get Married that was similar. I remember dancing to it at school discos and not really paying attention to the lyrics, then I heard the chorus properly on the radio one day - 'Meet me at the altar in your white dress/We aint getting no younger girl so we might as well do it' - and was shocked!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
When a cousin of DH's got married, his bride chose the song "Phantom of the Opera" to walk down the aisle!  It was played by a string trio, so at least it wasn't immediately identifiable, but it felt a little weird.  I mean, it's Phantom of the Opera!  The songs are beautiful and awesome and I love them, but not as wedding music. 

Of course, some people thought I had weird songs playing before the wedding actually started, as people were being seated.  My grandmother had made a joking comment a few months prior to my wedding that she was surprised I wasn't trying to incorporate Singin' in the Rain or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers in my wedding (those being two of my favorite movies of all time, and being love stories).  I found copies of piano sheet music for some of the songs from those movies and asked our pianist to play them as people were being seated.  My grandmother tells me she almost fell off her pew from laughing upon hearing "Singin' in the Rain" and "Bless Yore Beautiful Hide" as people were coming in!

Ki

« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:29 PM »
We had karaoke at our reception, and I heard comments about the appropriateness of a couple songs DH and I chose to sing:
DH: Sit On My Face (Monty Python)
Me: Underneath Your Clothes (Shakira)

FWIW, DH was singing "Sit On My Face" with several of his buddies the night we met, and I think "Underneath Your Clothes" is very sweet, if a few of the lyrics are suggestive.

Melle

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2013, 07:43:54 AM »
When my best friend decided on the music for her wedding ceremony, at first she was adamant she wanted Lionel Richie's "Easy".
English isn't our first language, but both she and I speak it fluently, and still it took me pointing out that the lyrics weren't exactly appropriate for a wedding (you know... "I just can't stand the pain", "I'm leaving you tomorrow" and so on) to change her mind...

Then again, I may have committed a similar blunder when I sang the Good Charlotte song "Dancefloor Anthem", which is basically about breaking up, to a karaoke bar full of hen night participants ;)

Fi

« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
A friend of mine threatened to walk down the aisle to The Rains of Castermere. She didn't, but all the couple's sf friends (ie, pretty much everyone) appreciated the joke.

katycoo

« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
Our friend who is an operatic baritone sang at our wedding, and he sang "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, "Ave Maria" (probably the first time "Ave Maria" has been sung in a Baptist church) and a song our worship band had performed, "Family Worship Song."  By the time he and I talked music I was so stressed I didn't care if he got up there and sang the ABC Song, but I knew I wanted "Family Worship Song."  In fact, I knew it from the first time we'd sung it, even before Mr. Sirius joined our band.

Really?  Why would you say that?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #248 on: November 27, 2013, 06:26:49 AM »
Our friend who is an operatic baritone sang at our wedding, and he sang "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, "Ave Maria" (probably the first time "Ave Maria" has been sung in a Baptist church) and a song our worship band had performed, "Family Worship Song."  By the time he and I talked music I was so stressed I didn't care if he got up there and sang the ABC Song, but I knew I wanted "Family Worship Song."  In fact, I knew it from the first time we'd sung it, even before Mr. Sirius joined our band.

Really?  Why would you say that?

I would guess because it is the Catholic prayer "Hail Mary" which is a prayer that has not been embraced by Protestants. Baptists are not commonly big Maryists.