Author Topic: Garter creepiness (PlainTacky0415-04)  (Read 26617 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Garter creepiness (PlainTacky0415-04)
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
"big foofy underskirt"...otherwise known as a "crinoline".  My DDs have passed around the same one for years (the first use was a prom, I think)...and have loaned it to friends.  The blasted thing just won't die.

I knew it had a name.

It was awful. Convinced me i want my wedding dress to be simple and easy drape.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »
I already told my mother there will be no garter toss or bouquet toss at my wedding.

I have caught more than one bouquet at more than one wedding- yet still want to keep mine. That, and my wedding will be small and I do not foresee many unmarried female guests.

And given the personalities and backgrounds of my boyfriend and I- garter toss would make us freeze and panic!  :-\
I have pet mice!

Minmom3

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
I already told my mother there will be no garter toss or bouquet toss at my wedding.

I have caught more than one bouquet at more than one wedding- yet still want to keep mine. That, and my wedding will be small and I do not foresee many unmarried female guests.

And given the personalities and backgrounds of my boyfriend and I- garter toss would make us freeze and panic!  :-\

My FIL was the head of the theater dept at San Jose State when DH and I got married.  Our chairs and my petticoats came from the theater department.  I had 3 layers of silk petticoats, it was wonderful.  I tossed my bouquet,and we have a very funny picture of his sister catching it - the woman was horizontal in the air!  I kept my hair decorations though, and they're tucked away in a big photo box.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

YummyMummy66

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »
At the weddings I have been to over the years,

the bride did not toss her own personal bouquet, but there was always a smaller, separate bouguet that was tossed.

This way, the bride had her own bouquet to keep.

mspallaton

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
A lot of folks have mentioned not liking the garter toss so I just wanted to mention what DH and I did for ours because we found it worked quite well.

I wore two garters (that I put on myself) - one to throw and one to keep as a keepsake.  When it came close to the time for the garter toss, I stepped to the side of the room out of sight and took the garters off myself so I could hand the one for throwing to my newly-minted DH.  We just treated it the same as the bouquet -- it magically appeared in his hand and then it was thrown and that was it.

After each was caught, I took a picture with the lady who caught the bouquet and my DH took a picture with his cousin who had caught the garter.  His cousin wore it on his arm the rest of the night - not out of tradition, but because he was 22 and highly intoxicated, thus making everything in the world hilarious to him.  (Just to clarify - he was a perfect guest and gentleman... just without proper diction or balance for most of the evening).

The one somewhat non-traditional aspect of the whole thing was that my father was the one who bought the garters from the store.  There was no sentimentality to that or anything -- actually, my father would be weirded out if he thought there was.  It was just that everything was hectic in the days before the wedding and he overheard me telling my mother that I'd forgotten to get a garter and something blue.  So... since my university has blue as one of its colors, he went to the local school branded store and got two that had my school color and logo on them (I didn't even know they made such a thing).  I LOVE that my garter had my school logo on it, but at the time, I was honestly just happy I had one fewer errand to run in those last 72 hours.

barkingmad

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2013, 12:46:53 AM »
Oh heck-I made my wedding dress with help from  my mom.. made the garter and just for fun sewed a few washers in it so it was heavy enough to fly!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
I just went to a wedding where if the bride was wearing a garter, it was removed out of sight from the guests. When it came time for the garter toss, the groom picks up a football with the garter wrapped around it and a few lottery tickets stuck between the two. I've never seen men so enthusiastic to go after a garter?

Tashigi

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2013, 01:41:32 AM »
I just went to a wedding where if the bride was wearing a garter, it was removed out of sight from the guests. When it came time for the garter toss, the groom picks up a football with the garter wrapped around it and a few lottery tickets stuck between the two. I've never seen men so enthusiastic to go after a garter?

If there were lotto tickets (or a gift card, perhaps?) slipped in the bride's bouquet, I would have been far more enthusiastic about being called up with all of the "single ladies" at my friend's wedding.

Slight tangent - does it strike anyone as ever so slightly... distasteful for the DJ to play the "Jaws" theme while the groom is retrieving the garter?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:22 AM »
I've never heard of that one before, but yes; it's distasteful.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
Never heard of that with the garter. We had a garter toss and bouquet toss, which did involve DH removing it from me. I had a throw posy that I tossed, and we both ended up hitting a light fitting and not making it.

Funny thing is, the couple who caught the garter and the bouquet are engaged and we're going to their wedding next month.so, yes, they WERE next!

MrTango

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »

If there were lotto tickets (or a gift card, perhaps?) slipped in the bride's bouquet, I would have been far more enthusiastic about being called up with all of the "single ladies" at my friend's wedding.

Slight tangent - does it strike anyone as ever so slightly... distasteful for the DJ to play the "Jaws" theme while the groom is retrieving the garter?

If I had to pick a John Williams theme for that moment, I'd probably go for either The Raiders' March.  It's just as wrong, but more upbeat.

Tashigi

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2013, 05:16:16 PM »

If I had to pick a John Williams theme for that moment, I'd probably go for either The Raiders' March.  It's just as wrong, but more upbeat.

And that was the recessional at the ceremony.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »

We're actually planning on doing scratchers in a toss bouquet...which we'll toss together and everyone is invited to participate in catching it. I've always hated the idea that the single women in the room are just beside themselves to get married next and willing to go to war with each other to get the flowers that signify they'll be hitched next. Cause ya know, all every woman wants is a husband. I always jumped out of the way of the darn thing. I was only up there because the "Come on Glitter, it's all the single girls, come on!" would get annoying and just standing there not trying to catch it was much easier. Actually at my best friend's wedding one of the kids caught it (she was maybe 10) and she asked me what it meant and I told her she was the next to be married, she dropped it like it bit her! I then rephrased, if that's what she wanted it to mean. Otherwise it was just a cool present she got to take home.

As for the father placing the garter on the bride...yeah...never heard of that one...ew. Especially doing in public? I could see a parent helping daughter get ready and oh whoops we forgot, and dad slipping it on quickly cause it was easiest for him to do it or what have you. But I've never seen it put on as a public display. The worst, get the garter, I've seen was when they tied the grooms hands behind his back and blindfolded him. So he had to go under with his teeth. I saw the bride shift around, whisper something to him then slightly lift her dress. I asked her later what she said and she told me she told him "I moved it, it's on my knee, be quick", I think the groomsmen/DJ came up with the bright plan. He was quick by the way.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
I tried to picture my dad putting a garter on me. Unless I was costumed as Edward III, there's not a chance in hell he'd do it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Nikko-chan

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
Never heard of that with the garter. We had a garter toss and bouquet toss, which did involve DH removing it from me. I had a throw posy that I tossed, and we both ended up hitting a light fitting and not making it.

Funny thing is, the couple who caught the garter and the bouquet are engaged and we're going to their wedding next month.so, yes, they WERE next!

Best bouquet and garter toss story ever!