Author Topic: SCA and Feasts - Stories Anyone?  (Read 5761 times)

Specky

Re: SCA and Feasts - Stories Anyone?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
I understand that there are probably differences between the groups, but, as a general rule, is this a family friendly group?  We have two sons, 11 & 13 and are a homeschooling family.  I think this could be a great thing.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »
I understand that there are probably differences between the groups, but, as a general rule, is this a family friendly group?  We have two sons, 11 & 13 and are a homeschooling family.  I think this could be a great thing.
I've seen kids of various ages in the group, so yes.  I don't know how many are homeschooled vs. attending schools, though.  You will find a goodly number of teachers among the membership, though, as this tends to attract academics and creative people.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »
We had a 6pm start time for a feast once that His Majesty held up till 9pm because he wanted to play rapier after court (Court then Feast then Dancing)

*That* sounds pretty period - nobody eats until the king wants to.  ;D

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

Yes, very much so.  The SCA is a non-profit *educational* organization, and people of all ages are welcome to participate.  Check out www.sca.org for more information.  :)

- saphie

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 06:21:17 AM »
Yes very family friendly, I guess that is why the can-can girls stood out in memory, it was something very inappropriate and not at all like our "normal" event entertainment.

Last year we had one of the collage groups put on a very period style of entertainment at feast - a story set into a dance.  Of course they used the "Legend of Zelda" as a story.  I later heard some of the "Old Farts" saying that is was the most "period" entertainment that they had seen in a long time.  It was very well done.  Even if it did use a video game as the base story.  And it FIT into the event.

And yes I know that no underpants was the "correct" costume for the can-can. One of the reasons it was a "forbidden" dance to do. (the things you learn at a dollhouse show, really)  I don't think that we will EVER see the like again after the Baroness got through with them.  (she would make a good drill sargent)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 07:59:06 AM »
This is the perfect thread and group of people for me to make my offer.

I have been decluttering my vinyl albums and frankly, most of them ended up in the trash.  However, I have seven vinyl albums I can't bear to throw away because of their archival significance and they are so specialized that finding a buyer just isn't worth my time.

The albums, vinyl remember, are :

1.  History of European Music, Part One: Music of the Early Middle Ages, Volume III.  By The Musical Heritage Society Inc.

2.  History of European Music, Part One:  Music of the Early Middle Ages, Volume II.  By The Musical Heritage Society Inc.

3.  The English Madrigal School - Madrigals of John Wilbye and Thomas Morley

4.  Chants de la Renaissance de Claude Lejeune

5.  The Central Middle Ages, Series A: Troubadours, Trouveres and Minnesingers, Series C: Early Polyphony before 1300 AD.  Produced by Archive Production

6.  The Italian Seicento, Series B: Claudio Monteverdi, Series D: The Cantata.  Produced by Archive Production

7.  Music at Versailles at the time of Louis XIV ( CHarpentier, Couperin, Rameau, Berton)

Someone, somewhere must want these and would be willing to transfer them from vinyl to CD.     I'm willing to give them away in exchange for the cost of shipping.   Someone PM me. 

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
BURP AND MORE BURP

>excuse me<

Just got back from one of our events and feast was AWESOME - and now I can't move

We had:
Fresh Bread and Honey butter
Salad with bacon and an Italian dressing
Chicken pot pie
Beef Fairhaven (chunks of beef and cut up potatos in a rather spicey sauce)
Mushroom and Cheese Pie
and for dessert a Mud Pudding Pie

Ok not everything is a period dish but Oh Man was it good, and plentiful. the pies were served an eight inch pie for four people.  Needless to say that a lot of food went home with people, they even gave everyone a baggie for a "doggie bag"

The kitchen staff got a standing  ovation for this one. Well the ones of us that could stand anyway.

If we could only fight Pensic in the kitchens. I think that we would have a good chance of winning every year. >giggle<  If they can't fit in their armor, they can't fight. Right?

And the group that did the "Legend of Zelda" story dance did another one this year - only they found a script from 1600 something and did it up right this time.  So much that one of the Knights handed them a Knights chain and told them to each take a link from it to wear and to keep the rest as a trophy of a special deed that they had done, (making his Princess smile)

Very cool!  This is the first time I have seen that happen.

PS - Ehelldame, I tried PMing you about the records - If noone has claimed them I would still be intrested in them.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 12:10:52 AM »
I have a box of garb I need to go through. I haven't done anything with the SCA in a few years. The last event I went to was one of the Potrero "wars" in San Diego. It was so much fun though!

I need to contact the guy that runs the SCA group at the school I attend. I wouldn't mind getting more involved with a group. I only attended a few events in San Diego (I think I attended 4 or 5 - yet I have enough garb to last me probably a weeks worth of events). I know there is a local barony, but on their events page, it shows that the next event was last October or November.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07