Author Topic: Breakfast?  (Read 3634 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Breakfast?
« on: February 26, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
This is very important to my question.....I'M NOT A MORNING PERSON! :D  I don't want to be a morning person.  I will never be a morning person.  Given the choice between sleeping 5 more minutes and getting up to do something, I'm going to choose the sleep.  It's a part of me.  Now, nighttime?  I'm awake.  Two in the morning?  I'm finally getting down to bed.

Ok, now my question....I need breakfast.  I'm not going to cook it in the mornings.  And, I wouldn't want to anyway - I'd worry all day if I'd turned the stove off or the oven off or whatever.

But, I'm beginning to find that I need something in the morning that's healthy and nutritious.  AND EASY!

What are some good ideas for breakfasts that I can grab on the run, take to work and eat at my desk?  I've done the oatmeal - I'm getting tired of it.  Breakfast bars don't fill me up.  Cereal would be good, except I'd have to carry milk, and that'd be messy.

What are some ideas from the group?

Edited to add another VERY IMPORTANT fact.....I cannot eat bananas.  I used to be able to, but now I can't.  I get excruciating pain if I eat one.  So, recipes absolutely cannot contain bananas or traces of bananas.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:45:06 PM by Dottyg »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »
Ok, NO ONE has any good ideas?! :D

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:15 PM »
Do you mind cooking the night before?

There are some fun breakfast muffins - with meats and cheeses that would work.

Or just roll leftover protein and veggies into a tortilla or tuck into a pita pocket to go.

We're very non-traditional here for breakfast.  Refried beans are a popular breakast food.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:24:23 PM »
Jimmy Dean has some frozen breakfast sandwiches that you could get, or make something similar at home.  They're breakfast bread (biscuit/croissant/bagel) + breakfast meat (bacon/sausage/ham) + egg + cheese.  Heat in the microwave

Do you have a good bagel place nearby?  Bagels keep well in the freezer, just pull one out the night before to thaw.  Put some cream cheese on it before you head out.  I love Panera's asiago cheese bagels.

MrsP81

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
Toast with peanut butter.
Cottage cheese with berries (I like blueberries or strawberries best)
Some stores have Breakfast Wraps or Breakfast Burritos that you just have to microwave

Do you have a fridge at work? Maybe you could keep a small carton of milk there for your breakfast.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »
All good ideas.  Thanks, y'all!  Keep 'em coming, because I know I'm going to need some variety!

The frozen breakfast sandwich things are so expensive and fattening.  Plus, I remember that I used to eat at least 2 before I felt even a little bit full.  So, I made my own this morning.  I got some English Muffins (got some that are only 100 calories, have 8 grams of fiber, are whole wheat, and actually taste good, surprisingly!), put on a soy "grilled meat" patty (I'm not allergic to soy - everyone can calm down! :D) and a piece of sliced cheese.  Heated it in the microwave and took it with me to eat on the way.  Much bigger than the frozen sandwiches and actually tasted good.  And, all that protein and fiber has to be good for breakfast.

I've figured out that those are the kinds of things I need - super duper quick and easy.  Things that I can grab and run out the door with.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 11:46:33 AM »
Odswalla is an organic health-food brand that makes drinks.  DH likes the SuperFood, which is wheatgrass and fruit blended into a disgusting-looking yet surprisingly tasty beverage.

I, on the other hand, like their protein shakes.  The chocolate one tastes like chocolate with a bit of banana, and it has 18g of soy protien.  I feel good all morning!

fklwmn

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 11:57:26 AM »
I eat breakfast at my desk allt he time. my favorites:

Fruit. apples, oranges, or strawberries and whipped cream (prepared the night before - my favorite)

Grits. An acquired taste, but I'd take them over oatmeal ANY day.

Bagels. I keep mini packs of jelly in my desk and spray some butter on them before I leave the house.

Cereal. I keep a box on my desk and carry in a bowl of milk. Ziploc makes some spill proof bowls with screw-on tops that work great for this.

Biscuits. With butter and jelly.

Pancakes. I like the frozen ones and I'm perfecly happy to eat them plain or with a little butter, I think syrup would get kind of messy, though you could add jelly - that's pretty good.

Hard boiled eggs. not a favorite of mine, but a favorite of the people who sit around me I am a firm believer in carbs for breakfast though I read protein is more filling and lasts longer.

Microwaveable sausage/steak/chicken biscuits. Like the kind Jimmy Dean Makes (as much as I hate to give that man any of my $$, thos biscuits are GOOD!). If you don't have a microwave at work, they only take 30 - 60 seconds in the morning before you leave the house.

That's all I can think of since I have been lazy lazy lazy and been getting breakfast from teh cafe downstairs recently, but I hope it helped!

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »
This is maybe not as traditional, but I enjoy Amy's Kitchen's breakfast burrito. I think most if not all of their stuff is vegetarian, and the breakfast burrito has 250 calories and is 95% organic (can you tell I have a couple in my freezer?). It has potatoes, tofu, black beans, tomatoes, and some other assorted veggies. I also like to have a little granola nearby to snack on here and there during the day.

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:18:15 PM »
Here's what I do for our son because he needs breakfast and I'm not a morning short-order cook:

Toss a few croutons or toasted breadcrumbs in the bottom of a greased (Pam spray) 12-cup muffin pan.  Mix a dozen eggs and about two cups of milk and pour into the muffin cups.  Drop in a small amount of chopped bacon or crumbled sausage and a little handful of grated cheese.  Bake them up at about 325 for 20-25 minutes.  Let them cool completely, then flash-freeze them and put them into individual zip-lock bags.  Grab a bag and zap them at the office, along with a juice box and a piece of fresh fruit. There are four protein sources in each of these babies!

I often use egg substitute, and I always use veggie cheese and soy milk. (He's --- dare I say it??? -- allergic to milk!!!!)  You can also substitute frozen shredded potatoes (ie: hash browns) for the bread crumbs, too.

fklwmn

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »
Here's what I do for our son because he needs breakfast and I'm not a morning short-order cook:

Toss a few croutons or toasted breadcrumbs in the bottom of a greased (Pam spray) 12-cup muffin pan.  Mix a dozen eggs and about two cups of milk and pour into the muffin cups.  Drop in a small amount of chopped bacon or crumbled sausage and a little handful of grated cheese.  Bake them up at about 325 for 20-25 minutes.  Let them cool completely, then flash-freeze them and put them into individual zip-lock bags.  Grab a bag and zap them at the office, along with a juice box and a piece of fresh fruit. There are four protein sources in each of these babies!

I often use egg substitute, and I always use veggie cheese and soy milk. (He's --- dare I say it??? -- allergic to milk!!!!)  You can also substitute frozen shredded potatoes (ie: hash browns) for the bread crumbs, too.

Ok, these sound great (well, minus the cheese b/c I'm weird :p ). How long do you nuke them @ the office? I just might cook up a batch or 2 this weekend!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »
Take yogurt for your cereal instead of milk - easier to carry without spilling.  Or carry milk in a little thermos bottle to keep it cool.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Oh, yum!  I'm going to have to whip up a batch of these, too!

beakiebean

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »
I always ate at my desk so I'd keep a bag of granola in my desk and grab a yogurt on the way out of the house and sprinkle some granola on it when I got to work.

For Dh I buy croissants and english muffins, top them with cheese, scrambled egg , and ham/bacon/ or sausage and freeze them. You can take them out overnight or if you forget you can just nuke it longer.

We have strata a lot for breakfast-you make it all up the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. It makes good leftover during the week if you make it on Sunday morning.

You can make waffles and pancakes and freeze them and toss them in the toaster in the morning just like you would an Eggo waffle. French toast sticks are yummy too-you can buy them frozen or make your own.

I try to keep cut up fruit in the fridge that I can grab for breakfast. Sometimes I like vanilla or lemon yogurt with fruit and granola topping

Becca

AbbyW

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »
This only has three ingredients!

10 oz frozen chopped spinach
3 eggs
16 oz. shredded monteray jack cheese (set a 1/4 cup aside to top the dish off)

Follow label on the box to prepare spinach (You could use fresh, I just find frozen to be easier).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray 9x9 glass pan with cooking spray.

When spinach is ready, drain it and mix with eggs and cheese. 
Pour into pan and sprinkle a little extra cheese on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes. 
Let it sit until its cool and then eat it or refrigerate it.

Keep it in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave in 30 seconds.

*This is actual better when it's re-heated.  It's also good if you have sore jaw or tooth and need to eat soft food.