Author Topic: Breakfast?  (Read 3494 times)

Summrs

Re: Breakfast?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:12:41 PM »
These are tried and true, and even great for kids.  They can be made ahead. 

WAFFLE SANDWICHES

4 toaster waffles, toasted
  4 tb soft cream cheese
  2 tb chopped pecans
  Honey or jam

Mix cream cheese and pecans together.  Spread on 2 warm waffles, drizzle with a little honey or spread with jam, top with other 2 waffles.  Makes 2 sandwiches. The only morning task this would require is toasting the waffles.  Keep extra spread in the refrigerator.
-------------------

BREAKFAST SPREAD

2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
  2 tb mayonnaise
  4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  1/4 ts Worcestershire sauce
  Rye crackers or whole wheat toast

Mix eggs, mayo, bacon and Worcestershire until good spreading consistency.  Serve on crackers or toast.
-------------------------------

BREAKFAST BARS

2 1/2 cups granola cereal or rolled oats
  3/4 cup flour
  1 ts baking powder
  1/4 ts salt
  1/4 cup honey
  1 banana, mashed
  1/2 cup melted butter
  1 egg
  1 ts vanilla

Set 1/2 cup cereal aside.  Combine remaining ingredients. Spread into greased 11x7 baking dish.  Crush reserved cereal and sprinkle over batter.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.  Cool a few minutes and cut into squares. Keep the bars around just to grab in the morning and run.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:19:30 PM by Summrs »

elsie

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
I try to eat something substantial in the morning.  I like a ham and cheese sandwich on whole wheat, or an egg, ham and cheese on either a bagel or english muffin.  You can microwave the egg in a small bowl or dish, or fry a few at a time and refrigerate them.  Then, put the assembled sandwich in the toaster oven while you shower.  I also like oatmeal, with craisins or applesauce stirred in.  For my dd, I make a noodle kugel (eggs, cottage cheese, noodles, sour cream, sugar, etc.), cut it in squares, and freeze it.  Happy to give you a recipe if you're interested.  Also, I drink low-salt v8 (it is still quite salty) or they have a new all fruit/vegetable juice drink that is great, and you get a fruit/vegetable serving out of the way!

Nonsequitur

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 01:16:56 AM »
I love cold pizza for breakfast, and it's substantial enough to tide you over to lunch. And despite the fat content, it has a lot of protein in it, and the overall calories for a slice probably aren't much worse than many cereals, which can be high in sugar and empty calories if you don't pick wisely. I also find that I eat a smaller lunch and munch less if I have heavier food for breakfast.

A hardboiled egg can be cooked ahead of time. Sometimes I eat one with a hunk of a baguette and some cheese.

Some other items, like biscuits, can be cooked the night before and microwaved in the morning at home or the office to heat them up.

Don't feel constrained by an idea of what breakfast food should be.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Peanut butter and honey sandwich. Peanut butter and banana sandwich. Peanut butter spread on apple slices.  ;D

Bagel with ham and cream cheese.

Any kind of sandwich. Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast food."
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
I made the egg, bacon, cheese muffins tonight.  Mmmmmmm!  They may not make it to breakfast! :D

freakyfemme

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »

Pancakes. I like the frozen ones and I'm perfecly happy to eat them plain or with a little butter, I think syrup would get kind of messy, though you could add jelly - that's pretty good.

They make Eggo waffles with syrup (or jam or whatever) *inside* them now, so you can toast or microwave a waffle or two and just eat them on way out the door, without worrying about making a mess.  I've never had them, because my mom thinks they're unhealthy, and I don't tend to buy a lot of "junk" food when I'm away at school, but it seems like a good concept.

lovinAZ

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »
i am the same way in the mornings.  and i'm a teacher with a long commute, so there is no sleeping in  :'(  i'm also on a food plan so that i get enough but not too many calories in a well-balanced way without getting hungry (i.e. need enough protein).

i get all of my breakfasts and lunches together and packed in the fridge on sunday.  i take them to work and eat both breakfast and lunch at work.

for breakfast every weekday morning i have 3/4 cup of dannon lite n fit fat free vanilla yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup HiLo cereal.  it is a high-protein flake cereal that tastes kinda like graham crackers (i have some dry as a snack in the afternoons as well).  i take them in separate containers and mix just before eating so the cereal doesn't get soggy.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 12:03:39 PM by lovinAZ »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »
They make Eggo waffles with syrup (or jam or whatever) *inside* them now, so you can toast or microwave a waffle or two and just eat them on way out the door, without worrying about making a mess.  I've never had them, because my mom thinks they're unhealthy, and I don't tend to buy a lot of "junk" food when I'm away at school, but it seems like a good concept.

The various flavored Eggo waffles are usually pretty good without syrup, but they're pure carbs and don't hold me for very long.  I definitely need some protein, too!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 01:56:11 AM »
This isn't nearly as fabulous as the other suggestions, but I'm really big on the "5 more minutes" too.  If I'm running really late, I'll grab a Zone diet protein bar or a special k meal bar.  Protein bars travel well, and I've found these 2 brands to be the best-tasting.  If I actually make it up on time, I've been making bagels with microwaved egg whites and a slice of cheese since junior high, but sometimes I hit snooze so many times that I can't spend the 2 minutes making that!  ;D

BettyP

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 08:57:12 AM »
Darling Hubby usually has to be out the door quickly and we're trying to cut back on the fast food breakfasts for our budget and his waistline. So, we went out and bought this toaster that cooks eggs and breakfast meat in a couple of minutes! It was about $40 (but we got it on sale for $30) and has saved SO much money. I buy pre-cooked Canadian bacon rounds, English muffins, and eggs, and sliced cheese. Takes him about 7 minutes to prepare and he finishes getting ready while it cooks. (About four minutes there) It also cooks bagels if you fancy bagel breakfast sandwiches...

You can find these toasters at Walmart and such. It's been the best $30 we've spent in a long time.

AnnaB

Sefie

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 10:58:15 PM »
I got this recipe from recipezaar before we went camping, and made them up the night before.  I also skipped the chocolate chips, because we brought chocolate in many other forms ;D  They kept well in a non-refridgerated Tupperware container in the car boot for 3 days before we ate them all!

Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins (makes 12)
3    medium very ripe bananas
1    egg
1/3    cup low-fat milk
1/2    cup granulated sugar
1/2    cup brown sugar
1 1/2    cups flour
1    teaspoon baking soda
1    teaspoon salt
2-3    tablespoons chocolate chips
2    tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)

1.  Preheat oven to 180C.
2.  Lightly coat 12 muffin tin liners with cooking spray and place in muffin tin.
3.  In large bowl, mash bananas with fork.
4.  Whisk in egg, milk, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
5.  In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
6.  Add flour mixture to banana mixture and combine well.
7.  Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
8.  Spoon equal amounts of batter into 12 muffin cups.
9.  Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10.  Allow to cool slightly in pan, then remove to wire rack.

Nutritional Info (per serving)
Calories 167
Total Fat 1.3g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Polyunsat. Fat 0.2g
Monounsat. Fat 0.4g
Trans fat 0.0g

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
This maybe more of a snack than a breakfast, but it's great if you are eating on the go.  Boyfriend and I would make our own trail mix.  We'd buy the Costco size container of mixed nuts and then add ingredients based on the mood we were in.  Suggestions include: assorted dried fruit, chocolate covered raisins (my favorite), granola chunks, pretzels, etc.  The nice part is that you can make it as sweet or as salty as you like depending on the ingredients and the nuts provide a nice protein kick in the morning.