First, I have a few questions:
1) How many people will be sleeping in the tent?
2) If this is the first time you've ever been camping, you might want to consider getting an air mattress. Trust me on this one! If you do, don't forget the air pump!
3) Before you go, make a complete list of everything you will need. Nothing sucks more than getting to your camp site and realizing you have forgotten something.
4) Take rain gear. Again trust me. as a seasoned camper, I go prepared for anything and everything. Boyscouts code is Be Prepared!
1) Check to make sure your sleeping bags are warm enough.
Are you in the US? You can buy camping gear at most Walmarts or if you really wanna spend some cash, go to a sporting goods store or Bass Pro Shops. THey have a very good selection.
DO you know if the place you are going is electric or not? This knowledge will help you decide what to pack.
2) Make sure you dispose of garbage in the correct areas. Nothing worse than a racoon or other animal getting into the trash.
3) NEVER store food in your tent! Put it in a cooler and put the cooler in your vehicle. Yeah, it sucks having to get it in and out everyday, but again, trust me! Animals can smell the food and will get into your tent!
4) Have enough wood.
5) Get easy to cook food. Hot dogs, hamburgers, potatoes, corn on the cob...these are all easy to cook over a campfire. Or you can lookup campfire recipes online. Don't forget the marshmellows, graham crackers and plain chocolate bars for S'mores!
6) when in doubt, over pack. I always pack for 5 days, even if it is a four day weekend. That way, if you get really dirty or muddy, you don't have to worry about not haveing a clean shirt.
7) Get some cheap flip-flops for the showers. Don't forget to pack toilet paper. Some places "forget" to stock extra in the stalls.
Get some sturdy shoes. This is for all that walking back and forth to the potty and trails and whatnot.
9) Camp chairs. Those are so comfy! They are not that expensive either...about $5-10 USD.
10) Most important...don't forget to pack a first aid kit! you can buy one already packaged together at most Walmarts and drug stores. Make sure you remember your prescription pills, pain reliever, allergy medicine, poison ivy medicine and bug spray!
Look up Camping Lists online and you should be able to get a list of things you will need!