Author Topic: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"  (Read 14464 times)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2008, 03:43:24 PM »

What exactly does a smoker look like?

???

Yellow, wrinkly, not unlike an egyptian mummy.  Oh wait, maybe that's just my mother.

Seriously though, I'd take it as a compliment.  They're saying you don't stink and you're not prematurely aged plus there's an implication that you're too smart to do a stupid thing like smoke.

No, i still have to disagree, especially if one is a smoker. An implication that one is too smart to engage in whatever activity it is that one is engaging in is not complimentary, except perhaps underhandedly.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
It's more than supposedly. I smoked for the better part of 15 years and have been a non-smoker for just about 10 years. I can smell smokers - they don't need to be actively smoking for me to notice.

POD.  I've never smoked, but I am highly sensitive to it.  When I was pregnant, the slightest whiff of smoke would send tears streaking down my cheeks from the irritation in my eyes.  Now, my eyes water and my nose itches like crazy when I'm around someone who has smoked.

My brother and his wife went with DD and I to the Faire before they were married.  They sneaked off for a bit and were highly embarrassed when we came across them smoking.  I had to laugh and tell them that was something really hard to hide, that we'd already known they smoked.

TaylorMade

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
Some states have actually proposed no smoking in personal cars due to dangers while driving. I see more people talking on cell phones while driving than smoking.

I'll be the first to tell you that I would be racking up the tickets on this one. I would tell any cop who says something to me about it oo, I have been smoking and driving since I got my license and have yet to get into an accident. Until the government starts to pay my car note then they have no right to tell me I can't smoke in my car. They can give me the ticket but it will not be a deterrent.

I don't completely agree with that. While yes, I do believe that you should be able to smoke in your car, I would never get in a car again if the government backed off completely about what one can do while driving. I do believe someone posted once about a woman driving erratically behind her and pulled over to let her pass. The woman was knitting while driving!

While I agree they shouldn't back off entirely, it's different when they try to ban smoking. I think that is more because smokers feel like we have so few places where we can smoke. I'll be the first to admit while I try to be a considerate smoker, I don't always succeed. I will always ask if anyone minds if I smoke, while outdoors and no one else is smoking, but until I joined this forum I thought of the ground as my own personal ashtray. I'll admit that even as late as this morning, while driving to work I flicked my completed cigarette out the window and only after it left my hand did I think oh Crud I shouldn't have done that. I'm trying to get better but I think when it comes to that the gov. should just leave us be in our own cars.

Banning smoking by drivers sounds MUCH more appealing if you have ever had the misfortune to be a passenger of a driver who has just dropped a lit cigarette in his lap. It's a rare driver can who can calmly say, "Now, as my clothes are scorching (and everything underneath), I will carefully pull over to the side, after checking my mirrors, and remove the hot ember...."

I was just talking about this thread to a friend of mine and we agree. It takes a "special" kind of person to drop a lit cigarette into their own lap. Now I have had an ember burn my finger while driving, it is not enough to lose control of the car, you maybe just flinch a bit. I have also had the misfortune of having a cigarette fly back into my open back window, again that sucks but I did not lose control of my car. I can only imagine that if I were ever "special" enough to drop a lit cigarette in my lap while driving I would lift my bottom up off the seat and find a place to pull over. It sucks to have your seat ruined but a ruined seat is a risk you take when smoking in the car. Oh and before any one says that I would not have the presence of mind to lift my bottom, I will say that I once missed the crack of the window completely and actually hit the window causing the "cherry" of my cigarette to fall into my door handle, and again I didn't freak out.

Oh... I am special enough :)

It was about 20 years ago and I was wearing a mini-skirt.  My underwear were orange and silky.  Why do I remember what underwear I had on?  The cigarette somehow ended UP my mini-skirt and burned a hole in my underwear.  Gosh, I can't stop laughing when I think about that!

I did not freak out.  I calmly pulled the cigarette from my crotch, put it out, and went on with my day, with a hole in my underwear.

I completely disagree with banning smoking while driving only because I do not believe the world is better with MORE laws.

California (where I live) instituted a new law in 2008:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo_dl.htm

Add: Health and Safety Code Article 2.5 to chapter 4 of Part 15 of Division 104. Amend: Vehicle Code 12814.6 (SB 7 Chapter 425)

* Makes it an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for a person to smoke a pipe, cigar, or cigarette in a motor vehicle any time a minor is present in the vehicle.

DiamondGirl

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 02:14:41 PM »
Some states have actually proposed no smoking in personal cars due to dangers while driving. I see more people talking on cell phones while driving than smoking.

I'll be the first to tell you that I would be racking up the tickets on this one. I would tell any cop who says something to me about it oo, I have been smoking and driving since I got my license and have yet to get into an accident. Until the government starts to pay my car note then they have no right to tell me I can't smoke in my car. They can give me the ticket but it will not be a deterrent.

I don't completely agree with that. While yes, I do believe that you should be able to smoke in your car, I would never get in a car again if the government backed off completely about what one can do while driving. I do believe someone posted once about a woman driving erratically behind her and pulled over to let her pass. The woman was knitting while driving!

While I agree they shouldn't back off entirely, it's different when they try to ban smoking. I think that is more because smokers feel like we have so few places where we can smoke. I'll be the first to admit while I try to be a considerate smoker, I don't always succeed. I will always ask if anyone minds if I smoke, while outdoors and no one else is smoking, but until I joined this forum I thought of the ground as my own personal ashtray. I'll admit that even as late as this morning, while driving to work I flicked my completed cigarette out the window and only after it left my hand did I think oh Crud I shouldn't have done that. I'm trying to get better but I think when it comes to that the gov. should just leave us be in our own cars.

Banning smoking by drivers sounds MUCH more appealing if you have ever had the misfortune to be a passenger of a driver who has just dropped a lit cigarette in his lap. It's a rare driver can who can calmly say, "Now, as my clothes are scorching (and everything underneath), I will carefully pull over to the side, after checking my mirrors, and remove the hot ember...."

I was just talking about this thread to a friend of mine and we agree. It takes a "special" kind of person to drop a lit cigarette into their own lap. Now I have had an ember burn my finger while driving, it is not enough to lose control of the car, you maybe just flinch a bit. I have also had the misfortune of having a cigarette fly back into my open back window, again that sucks but I did not lose control of my car. I can only imagine that if I were ever "special" enough to drop a lit cigarette in my lap while driving I would lift my bottom up off the seat and find a place to pull over. It sucks to have your seat ruined but a ruined seat is a risk you take when smoking in the car. Oh and before any one says that I would not have the presence of mind to lift my bottom, I will say that I once missed the crack of the window completely and actually hit the window causing the "cherry" of my cigarette to fall into my door handle, and again I didn't freak out.

It was about 20 years ago and I was wearing a mini-skirt.  My underwear were orange and silky.  Why do I remember what underwear I had on?  The cigarette somehow ended UP my mini-skirt and burned a hole in my underwear.  Gosh, I can't stop laughing when I think about that!

I did not freak out.  I calmly pulled the cigarette from my crotch, put it out, and went on with my day, with a hole in my underwear.

I completely disagree with banning smoking while driving only because I do not believe the world is better with MORE laws.

Add: Health and Safety Code Article 2.5 to chapter 4 of Part 15 of Division 104. Amend: Vehicle Code 12814.6 (SB 7 Chapter 425)

* Makes it an infraction punishable by a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for a person to smoke a pipe, cigar, or cigarette in a motor vehicle any time a minor is present in the vehicle.

I sincerely hope I didn't offend you.

I'm glad to hear that you didn't freak out though.

GertrudeMcFuzz

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 03:45:26 PM »
I'll never forget my neighbor pulling up to his house, smoke billowing from his back seat....

I was in 7th or 8th grade, and my closest friend lived across the street. I was sitting on my front steps around dinner time when her dad came screeching up to the curb, the aforementioned smoke pouring out the windows. Mr. J. jumped from the car, yanked open the back door, and pulled out the entire bench seat (it was an old beater car). He threw it on the ground, ran to the house and turned the garden hose on the seat. After the smoke cleared we all rushed over to see a giant hole in the upholstery, springs exposed. By giant hole I mean half the seat was gone. Mr. J. sheepishly explained that he threw his cigarette butt out the window while driving and it must have come back in the rear window. The lit cigarette smoldered for a long time (like it would on an old couch) and finally burst into flame as he turned onto our block.

He was a bit shaken after that. ;)

TaylorMade

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2008, 01:43:56 AM »

I sincerely hope I didn't offend you.

I'm glad to hear that you didn't freak out though.

You didn't :)  I walk into enough walls and trip UP enough stairs to already know I was *special*

note* - recent name change - I am the correct person responding :)

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2008, 09:49:46 PM »
You didn't :)  I walk into enough walls and trip UP enough stairs to already know I was *special*

I thought I was the only one special enough to fall up stairs.  Ever broken a bone doing it? :P

TaylorMade

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »

I thought I was the only one special enough to fall up stairs.  Ever broken a bone doing it? :P

Nope, apparently I'm not that special  >:D Maybe it's the Michigander in us :)  (I'm assuming your from Michigan based on your ID)

bionelly

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »
I've had a man come through my line and ask me if I'm a smoker.*  When I say I'm not, he says he knew I wasn't because of my "rosy cheeks".  Then he goes into a long explanation of how smoking causes circulation problems and bad skin.  This is something he apparently does every time he sees someone with rosy cheeks, because he's done it to me twice.  Even though he's complimenting me, it always seems like a really weird thing for him to say to a stranger, and I really wonder what he says to people who do smoke.

*This is pretty much the first thing he says after "hello", so it's not like we were already on the subject.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
I've had a man come through my line and ask me if I'm a smoker.*  When I say I'm not, he says he knew I wasn't because of my "rosy cheeks".  Then he goes into a long explanation of how smoking causes circulation problems and bad skin.  This is something he apparently does every time he sees someone with rosy cheeks, because he's done it to me twice.  Even though he's complimenting me, it always seems like a really weird thing for him to say to a stranger, and I really wonder what he says to people who do smoke.

*This is pretty much the first thing he says after "hello", so it's not like we were already on the subject.

I think he's got being a heavy smoker mixed up with being a heavy drinker.

behindbj

« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
The closest I've ever come to saying something like that is when someone in my group excused himself to smoke and I said, "I didn't know you smoked."

His reply:  "Sneaky ba___rd, aren't I?" 

General laughter all around.

It was only noticed because in the 5 years I worked with him EVER saw him smoke, leave for a smoke break or request a smoke break when we would spend all day out in the field.  That is all - it wasn't a commentary on how he smelled (which was GREAT - Dude wore Aramis Black and wore it well), how he looked (like a federal employee - we all do after a while) or some vibe he gave off.

In that case, it was more like when he said to me "I didn't know you drank" when I ordered a beer when we were at dinner while on a business trip.  I do, but he's never seen me do it or talk about.  It was just one of those "Huh" moments.

As for the "I've never pegged you as a smoker!" lines, I would probably view them in the same way as "I would never have guessed you could climb all those stairs!" when talking to me.

Since I'm fat.

And we're all out of shape apparently.

Can't say I go around compartmentalizing people in general.  Perhaps it's because I hate it when people do it to me.  Or that I really don't care.

behindbj

TaylorMade

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
The closest I've ever come to saying something like that is when someone in my group excused himself to smoke and I said, "I didn't know you smoked."

Ahh.. But that is just a general comment, not being said in an insulting way, because you didn't know he smoked.   You just said "I didn't know you smoked" instead of "You don't seem like a smoker to me", "I can't believe you smoke", "Wow, you don't look like a smoker"

To me there is a big difference!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
Cathy I can frequently tell smokers too - though I don't smoke and never have.  A teacher at school occasionally smoked privately and never wanted others to realize she sometimes smoked.  Even though it was not a regular thing for her I would catch the smell of cigarettes from time to time.  I never told her I realized.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »
Our pastor today was speaking of rule following versus spirit following.

He told a story of one church where he was invited to speak of about half the congregations' standing outside puffing away, while blasting out curses about the eevils of alcohol and drinking.

He said he just KNEW that there had to be a church out there somewhere with the parishoners exclaiming their distate for smokers as the sipped their wine and spirits.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Bratski

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
My dad is "special" enough to drop his cigarette in his lap. Then while he was hollering and trying to get it off his butt, he proceeded to hit no less than three parked cars on the street. Two were on the right, one on the left. No one was hurt and none (including his) of the cars were very damaged, outside of some scratches and one dent. He wasn't speeding either, just not looking at the darn road! I couldn't wait to tell my mom what he did (I was about 13). The kicker was that he was driving my mom's car and he wasn't supposed to be smoking in it.

My mom (and probably the insurance company) forbid him to ever smoke and drive again.