Author Topic: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"  (Read 15209 times)

bionelly

Re: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2008, 05:50:04 AM »
I've had a man come through my line and ask me if I'm a smoker.*  When I say I'm not, he says he knew I wasn't because of my "rosy cheeks".  Then he goes into a long explanation of how smoking causes circulation problems and bad skin.  This is something he apparently does every time he sees someone with rosy cheeks, because he's done it to me twice.  Even though he's complimenting me, it always seems like a really weird thing for him to say to a stranger, and I really wonder what he says to people who do smoke.

*This is pretty much the first thing he says after "hello", so it's not like we were already on the subject.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »
I've had a man come through my line and ask me if I'm a smoker.*  When I say I'm not, he says he knew I wasn't because of my "rosy cheeks".  Then he goes into a long explanation of how smoking causes circulation problems and bad skin.  This is something he apparently does every time he sees someone with rosy cheeks, because he's done it to me twice.  Even though he's complimenting me, it always seems like a really weird thing for him to say to a stranger, and I really wonder what he says to people who do smoke.

*This is pretty much the first thing he says after "hello", so it's not like we were already on the subject.

I think he's got being a heavy smoker mixed up with being a heavy drinker.

behindbj

« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
The closest I've ever come to saying something like that is when someone in my group excused himself to smoke and I said, "I didn't know you smoked."

His reply:  "Sneaky ba___rd, aren't I?" 

General laughter all around.

It was only noticed because in the 5 years I worked with him EVER saw him smoke, leave for a smoke break or request a smoke break when we would spend all day out in the field.  That is all - it wasn't a commentary on how he smelled (which was GREAT - Dude wore Aramis Black and wore it well), how he looked (like a federal employee - we all do after a while) or some vibe he gave off.

In that case, it was more like when he said to me "I didn't know you drank" when I ordered a beer when we were at dinner while on a business trip.  I do, but he's never seen me do it or talk about.  It was just one of those "Huh" moments.

As for the "I've never pegged you as a smoker!" lines, I would probably view them in the same way as "I would never have guessed you could climb all those stairs!" when talking to me.

Since I'm fat.

And we're all out of shape apparently.

Can't say I go around compartmentalizing people in general.  Perhaps it's because I hate it when people do it to me.  Or that I really don't care.

behindbj

TaylorMade

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »
The closest I've ever come to saying something like that is when someone in my group excused himself to smoke and I said, "I didn't know you smoked."

Ahh.. But that is just a general comment, not being said in an insulting way, because you didn't know he smoked.   You just said "I didn't know you smoked" instead of "You don't seem like a smoker to me", "I can't believe you smoke", "Wow, you don't look like a smoker"

To me there is a big difference!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
Cathy I can frequently tell smokers too - though I don't smoke and never have.  A teacher at school occasionally smoked privately and never wanted others to realize she sometimes smoked.  Even though it was not a regular thing for her I would catch the smell of cigarettes from time to time.  I never told her I realized.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »
Our pastor today was speaking of rule following versus spirit following.

He told a story of one church where he was invited to speak of about half the congregations' standing outside puffing away, while blasting out curses about the eevils of alcohol and drinking.

He said he just KNEW that there had to be a church out there somewhere with the parishoners exclaiming their distate for smokers as the sipped their wine and spirits.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Bratski

« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
My dad is "special" enough to drop his cigarette in his lap. Then while he was hollering and trying to get it off his butt, he proceeded to hit no less than three parked cars on the street. Two were on the right, one on the left. No one was hurt and none (including his) of the cars were very damaged, outside of some scratches and one dent. He wasn't speeding either, just not looking at the darn road! I couldn't wait to tell my mom what he did (I was about 13). The kicker was that he was driving my mom's car and he wasn't supposed to be smoking in it.

My mom (and probably the insurance company) forbid him to ever smoke and drive again.

LAT

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
I think that smoking in one's own car while alone is similar to eating or drinking in the car.  You are taking the risk that you'll drop the cigarette.  If you eat, you're taking the risk that you'll choke on something or distract yourself by dropping food in your lap.  Or maybe your greasy fingers will slip on the wheel, who knows.  The point is that we expect adults to be able to gauge risk, and we should leave it to them to do so.  Heck, I bet having screaming children in a car is more distracting than eating, smoking and cell phone usage combined!

I am allergic to smoke.  I watched my father die at age 67 of cancer due to smoking.   I believe that smoking is a dumb thing to do given the known risks.  It's still a choice people should be able to make.

If the driver of a car is smoking and has their window open, trust me, there is still plenty of smoke in the back of the car.  My father smoked for years while driving and I still got headaches from the smoke as I sat in the back.

Smokers can't smell themselves.  I can smell the tang of smoke on almost any smoker if they've just had one.  Some people I can smell all the time, I'm assuming they either smoke more or don't change clothes as often.

If I visit a smoker's home, even if they've fully vented the place for hours prior to my arrival, I need to shower and wash the clothes I wore when I get home due to the reek of stale smoke.   I never mention this to my hosts, so they probably think their place smells fresh as a daisy.  It doesn't.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »

He told a story of one church where he was invited to speak of about half the congregations' standing outside puffing away, while blasting out curses about the eevils of alcohol and drinking.

He said he just KNEW that there had to be a church out there somewhere with the parishoners exclaiming their distate for smokers as the sipped their wine and spirits.

That would have been the Southern Baptist churches I once attended (never did quite fit in). The deacons would be smoking right before the service (always littering the front steps with the butts), then the preacher would attack drinking - even a glass of wine could send you you-know-where.  ::)

Kate

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

What exactly does a smoker look like?

???

I know what smokers past a certain age tend to look like...if she is young one couldnt nessesarily tell except from the smell..at least I can always tell who is a smoker by that.

Kate

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

That would have been the Southern Baptist churches I once attended (never did quite fit in). The deacons would be smoking right before the service (always littering the front steps with the butts), then the preacher would attack drinking - even a glass of wine could send you you-know-where.  ::)
Well one could argue that smoking is a health issue not a moral issue, wheras drunkeness is condemned in scripture..but  the one glass of wine thing is extreme, when the issue should be "self control" ..they harp on it because to drink at all may cause a person to fall into alcholism or temp a recovered alcholic to fall off the wagon.

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Well one could argue that smoking is a health issue not a moral issue, wheras drunkeness is condemned in scripture..but  the one glass of wine thing is extreme, when the issue should be "self control" ..they harp on it because to drink at all may cause a person to fall into alcholism or temp a recovered alcholic to fall off the wagon.

Drunkeness, yes.  Drinking, no.  I won't go farther than that, but I have serious issues with anyone using scripture to argue against having a drink or two.