Author Topic: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"  (Read 14987 times)

LAT

Re: " I wouldn't have guessed you are a smoker!"
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
I think that smoking in one's own car while alone is similar to eating or drinking in the car.  You are taking the risk that you'll drop the cigarette.  If you eat, you're taking the risk that you'll choke on something or distract yourself by dropping food in your lap.  Or maybe your greasy fingers will slip on the wheel, who knows.  The point is that we expect adults to be able to gauge risk, and we should leave it to them to do so.  Heck, I bet having screaming children in a car is more distracting than eating, smoking and cell phone usage combined!

I am allergic to smoke.  I watched my father die at age 67 of cancer due to smoking.   I believe that smoking is a dumb thing to do given the known risks.  It's still a choice people should be able to make.

If the driver of a car is smoking and has their window open, trust me, there is still plenty of smoke in the back of the car.  My father smoked for years while driving and I still got headaches from the smoke as I sat in the back.

Smokers can't smell themselves.  I can smell the tang of smoke on almost any smoker if they've just had one.  Some people I can smell all the time, I'm assuming they either smoke more or don't change clothes as often.

If I visit a smoker's home, even if they've fully vented the place for hours prior to my arrival, I need to shower and wash the clothes I wore when I get home due to the reek of stale smoke.   I never mention this to my hosts, so they probably think their place smells fresh as a daisy.  It doesn't.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
Our pastor today was speaking of rule following versus spirit following.

He told a story of one church where he was invited to speak of about half the congregations' standing outside puffing away, while blasting out curses about the eevils of alcohol and drinking.

He said he just KNEW that there had to be a church out there somewhere with the parishoners exclaiming their distate for smokers as the sipped their wine and spirits.

That would have been the Southern Baptist churches I once attended (never did quite fit in). The deacons would be smoking right before the service (always littering the front steps with the butts), then the preacher would attack drinking - even a glass of wine could send you you-know-where.  ::)

Kate

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »

What exactly does a smoker look like?

???

I know what smokers past a certain age tend to look like...if she is young one couldnt nessesarily tell except from the smell..at least I can always tell who is a smoker by that.

Kate

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »

He told a story of one church where he was invited to speak of about half the congregations' standing outside puffing away, while blasting out curses about the eevils of alcohol and drinking.

He said he just KNEW that there had to be a church out there somewhere with the parishoners exclaiming their distate for smokers as the sipped their wine and spirits.

That would have been the Southern Baptist churches I once attended (never did quite fit in). The deacons would be smoking right before the service (always littering the front steps with the butts), then the preacher would attack drinking - even a glass of wine could send you you-know-where.  ::)
Well one could argue that smoking is a health issue not a moral issue, wheras drunkeness is condemned in scripture..but  the one glass of wine thing is extreme, when the issue should be "self control" ..they harp on it because to drink at all may cause a person to fall into alcholism or temp a recovered alcholic to fall off the wagon.

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Well one could argue that smoking is a health issue not a moral issue, wheras drunkeness is condemned in scripture..but  the one glass of wine thing is extreme, when the issue should be "self control" ..they harp on it because to drink at all may cause a person to fall into alcholism or temp a recovered alcholic to fall off the wagon.

Drunkeness, yes.  Drinking, no.  I won't go farther than that, but I have serious issues with anyone using scripture to argue against having a drink or two.