Author Topic: "You must have had a c-section because your husband's white"???  (Read 13603 times)

Tai

Re: "You must have had a c-section because your husband's white"???
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
UGH!  Ok, first of all, I'm Asian mixed with Euro-mutt... and I wasn't a C-section baby!  Heck, Auntie is 4'9", 75lbs (technically speaking, she should be in a booster seat!), with a 6foot tall husband, and SHE didn't have a C-section with any of her 3 kids. 

I'm short and small boned, too- if you can get past my blubber layer!  2 kids, no section. 

Ignorance just ticks me off!

Musicwoman

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 02:28:49 AM »
The C-section assumption was the SECOND piece of weirdness.  The first was her assumption that the friend's husband was white.  What a weirdo!
Changing the world...one Thank You note at a time.

MrsMicah

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 06:36:34 PM »
It would have made so much more sense if she'd been talking about twins...not race.

I screen newborns' hearing in a hospital in an extremely diverse city. Part of the information I gather is the method of delivery (various reasons it's important). Anyway, I've never seen a correspondence between delivery method and race...whether it's interracial or any particular race. However, most of the twins I see were delivered by C-section (some doctors even insist on it, which confuses me since not all do).

Anyway, I probably would have used my "are you crazy lady?" look.

xena2560

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »
I can see how the birth sizes in populations can be different, but making that assumption- jeez....

Blurgle

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
When I was in nursing school, it was mentioned that sometimes a size difference can cause a higher percentage of complications in birth leading to a C-section.  The example she used was during the Korean war, many of our GI's impregnated the local girls.  According to this instructor, this led to an increase in birth complications/C-sections in the area because our GI's are 6ft 200 pound boys and the girls were 5ft nothing and maybe weighed 90 pounds soaking wet.  While that's not always true, there is a difference in the average weight and height for the two countries and their are different average birth wieghts...

Not sure if there was any truth to her comments...

There sure was, but it wasn't based as much on race as on circumstances.

Those girls who got pregnant in 1950-1953 would have grown up during the Second World War, when the Koreans living under Japanese occupation were generally half-starved. Many of the girls would have had their growth stunted by the lack of protein, calcium, Vitamin C, and folic acid. On the other hand, the American soldiers sent to Korea were actually larger and more heavily built than the average, since by that time 98-pound weaklings weren't passing the draft physicals.

In past centuries, deaths in childbirth (since there were no C-sections) spiked between ten and twenty years after famines, because girls under 12 were historically (and this is in Europe and America as well) the most poorly nourished members of the family, and poor nourishment can cause stunted skeletal growth.

holly firestorm

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »
Well, again, I'm not an expert.  But, I've read some stuff and watch the History and Discovery channels religiously (And they're always right. ::Sure).  So, what I've heard/read is that there is a THEORY that one reason humans go to war is biological imperative.  It used to be one of the few ways to increase the size of the gene pool.  Now, of course, there's more moving to different countries and social mixing of different ethnicities and we don't need war to widen the gene pool, just some airplane tickets.  So, biologically, interbreeding is a good thing and will lead to humans not going  extinct as soon as we might if we just bred with 'our own kind.'*

*Ethnically, that is.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 04:20:19 PM »
I don't think there is anything your friend could have said to counter such rudeness.  It would have been a good time for "What an interesting assumption" or "How kind of you to take an interest," but really I would have just been gaping...

I'm with ya.  I've found that people with no common courtesy also have NO common sense.  So trying to explain rational thought to them is futile.  What is the phrase, "Don't argue with a pig, it doesn't accomplish anything, it just annoys the pig."????  I'm still agog over the question.  It's like "It's winter because the file drawer was painted blue" - it makes no sense.  Sigh!   

"Don't get into the mud with a pig. The pig will love it, and you'll just get dirty."

Funny how these maxims morph :D
I have heard these versions:
Don't argue with a pig; It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Don't mudwrestle with a pig; The pig enjoys it and you just get dirty.
Don't throw pearls before swine.

Interestingly enough, I never heard of putting lipstick on a pig until this campaign season :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

dragonflies

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
There might be a little truth in this.  I am Korean (small hips) and my husband is hispanic.  I am 5'0 and he is 5'11.  My baby's head was too big to drop into my pelvis/birth canal and I had to have C-section because the baby wouldn't drop.  The doctor said afterwards, it was good thing I had a c-section because he could see a little bit of coning on her head.  He said to me - he sees this often with asian women having interracial babies. 

I don't think I would have worded the way she did.

holly firestorm

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 04:43:48 PM »
I don't think there is anything your friend could have said to counter such rudeness.  It would have been a good time for "What an interesting assumption" or "How kind of you to take an interest," but really I would have just been gaping...

I'm with ya.  I've found that people with no common courtesy also have NO common sense.  So trying to explain rational thought to them is futile.  What is the phrase, "Don't argue with a pig, it doesn't accomplish anything, it just annoys the pig."????  I'm still agog over the question.  It's like "It's winter because the file drawer was painted blue" - it makes no sense.  Sigh!   

"Don't get into the mud with a pig. The pig will love it, and you'll just get dirty."

Funny how these maxims morph :D
I have heard these versions:
Don't argue with a pig; It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Don't mudwrestle with a pig; The pig enjoys it and you just get dirty.
Don't throw pearls before swine.

Interestingly enough, I never heard of putting lipstick on a pig until this campaign season :-\

I know we should get back on topic, but the two I heard were, "Lie down with pigs & you will get dirty.  Lie down with dogs & you'll get fleas."  And on a related note, "Never argue with an idiot, people looking on won't be able to tell the difference."

42_42_42

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
When I was in nursing school, it was mentioned that sometimes a size difference can cause a higher percentage of complications in birth leading to a C-section. 

This makes sense to me, but it can occur within a race as well. For example, my sister is about 5'2" and the father of her 3rd and 4th sons is well over 6' and of a very large body frame. Both babies were very large at birth and she had to have C-sections with both. Whereas her 1st and 2nd sons' father is also tall, but of smaller body build and as a result, those babies were of a smaller birth weight and she was able to deliver them "normally" with no problems.

(warning: rudeness alert)

Possible reply:
"You must have had a lobotomy?"

Teee heee!

ralhc

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »
That is right up there with asking whether they used fertility treatments because they had multiples.  People like that have no concept that it isn't any of their business.  Also, she clearly has no idea how offensive those comments are to say them to your friend's face.  Yikes.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
This makes sense to me, but it can occur within a race as well. For example, my sister is about 5'2" and the father of her 3rd and 4th sons is well over 6' and of a very large body frame. Both babies were very large at birth and she had to have C-sections with both. Whereas her 1st and 2nd sons' father is also tall, but of smaller body build and as a result, those babies were of a smaller birth weight and she was able to deliver them "normally" with no problems.

I was told the opposite.  When I went for birthing classes, the nurse said that the birthsize of the baby was dependent on the size of the mother, for delivery purposes.  I said to her "Great, I am taller than DH". 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 07:27:43 PM »
I was told the opposite.  When I went for birthing classes, the nurse said that the birthsize of the baby was dependent on the size of the mother, for delivery purposes. 

If this were true, there would never need to be a c-section because the baby's too big for mama.

Misinformation surrounds us, even coming from people who we think ought to know.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »
I was told the opposite.  When I went for birthing classes, the nurse said that the birthsize of the baby was dependent on the size of the mother, for delivery purposes. 

If this were true, there would never need to be a c-section because the baby's too big for mama.

Misinformation surrounds us, even coming from people who we think ought to know.

I know, I was adding to the list of things that they have been told.

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 07:30:01 PM »
In a situation like this I think it's time to bring out the old ehell favourites: "What an interesting assumption" and "Have you tried the bean dip?"