Author Topic: I got to use it!  (Read 2981 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
I got to use it!
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:36:58 AM »
I was strong-armed 6 months ago into serving on the executive committee of a club I am a member of. I've hated every moment of it. From the ridiculously drawn-out meetings debating every stupid detail of everything, to the email bombardment of more debate, to the regular duties of emailing members and answering questions....all of this makes me hate the club and want to quit altogether (except that I liked it before I became an exec). I don't enjoy it and it drains my energy from more important things in my life that I need to get done.

So the six month term is almost up, I've been waiting eagerly for the day when I no longer have to do this.  Today I get this email saying "I hope you will stay on for another term, as you're doing such a great job" (I suspect it's because they know there isn't a mass of people chomping at the bit to take the position).

So I just emailed back, "I'm afraid that won't be possible. I'm sure you can find someone else to fill the position now that my term is up."

No excuses for them to rebut with, "Oh, but...."

I'll be interested to see if they try to exert more pressure.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: I got to use it!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
Good luck, raintree.  I hope it works!

My husband is serving time on our condo owners association "Bored of Directors."  He didn't ask to be on the board.  He was nominated and elected without campaigning, receiving more votes than other candidates that were campaigning.  (Everyone likes my DH ;-)

He's served 8 years now.  He wants a break.  He begged to be taken off the ballot, but this year we just had enough candidates to fill vacancies from directors who moved.  He was promised that someone else would serve the remainder of his sentence term when they returned to Hawaii full time.  I guess they were working on a project overseas.  It didn't happen.  He's still serving time.  :-[

They tried to get me to serve in his place.  I don't have the time or patience.  I've met the other directors and do not want to work with them.  They are petty and argumentative.  "Debating every stupid detail of everything" sounds familiar.  Plus they talk stink about other residents behind their backs.  I said "No.  I am busy working full time, caring for my disabled husband, and trying to train our 3 year old filly on the weekends.  Besides, I'm not as nice as DH."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
LOL Midnight. Yep, that is exactly the kind of thing I can't stand to be involved in. Some people enjoy this kind of thing as they like to feel involved in their communities. I am not one of those people. I am plenty happy to fill my time with activities, but not in any kind of "organizing committee" capacity.

These are nice people. I guess my update is that at the last meeting (after I posted about saying "That won't be possible") they asked me, "So how come you don't want to run again? Are we that bad?"

I made a joke about how they are all horrible people (said laughing...they knew I wasn't serious and in actual fact they are all such nice people that I don't want to offend any of them).  Then I said, "Well, I'm just too busy with work and other things, and I just don't want to do it anymore."  They seemed to accept that.

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »

He's served 8 years now.  He wants a break.  He begged to be taken off the ballot, but this year we just had enough candidates to fill vacancies from directors who moved.  He was promised that someone else would serve the remainder of his sentence term when they returned to Hawaii full time.  I guess they were working on a project overseas.  It didn't happen.  He's still serving time.  :-[

Here's what you need to do, send DH out into the street and have him follow an older member of the board.  Wait until she buys a loaf of marble ryebread and have him steal it! she'll remember the traumatic ordeal in flashback and then he'll be impeached!

(See, Seinfeld applies again!)
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

Calypso

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
LOL Midnight. Yep, that is exactly the kind of thing I can't stand to be involved in. Some people enjoy this kind of thing as they like to feel involved in their communities. I am not one of those people. I am plenty happy to fill my time with activities, but not in any kind of "organizing committee" capacity.

It was a standing joke (but also somewhat true) in a club I belonged to that you'd better not get up to go to the bathroom during a meeting, 'coz you'd come back and find yourself elected to an office!  8)