Author Topic: "Do you know how?"  (Read 32413 times)

Quesselin

Re: "Do you know how?"
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2010, 01:38:22 PM »
Babies are pretty resilient...they tend to survive all that, and even the occasional toenail polishing, with their chubby dignity intact.  ;D

"Chubby dignity" is now my new favorite expression.

Quesselin

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:23 PM »
LOL

He was extremely loved, as were all other siblings that came through. Their father bvoasts that "Other than the expected sibling rivalries occasionally, I never got a lick of trouble out of them. Must be that I keep getting lucky 'cuz God Knows, I ain;'t that great a father!" (His kids of course protest this.)

Actually, other than the first two kids, and one girl, I have no clue which kids are adopted and which aren't.  :-[

Good grief, how many kids do they have?!  ;D

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
LOL

He was extremely loved, as were all other siblings that came through. Their father bvoasts that "Other than the expected sibling rivalries occasionally, I never got a lick of trouble out of them. Must be that I keep getting lucky 'cuz God Knows, I ain;'t that great a father!" (His kids of course protest this.)

Actually, other than the first two kids, and one girl, I have no clue which kids are adopted and which aren't.  :-[

Umm... lets see...

NOT counting the three grandkids, because those belong to their mother even though they are living with the grandparents... Thirteen.

And they are in the process of adopting again. Because apprently that "aren't DONE yet!"

Its a four year old boy who seems to be afraid of pretty much everything. Its kinda sad, but I think he'll get used to them soon. (He's currently their foster baby, but by christmas they are hoping the paperwork will be done and he can take their last name.)

I just wanna know if its normal to let a couple keep adopting when they are in their 40-50s. I'm not being mean, I'm just curious, I heard somewhere that only young couples were allowed to adopt for some reason.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Corbin

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »
Babies are pretty resilient...they tend to survive all that, and even the occasional toenail polishing, with their chubby dignity intact.  ;D

"Chubby dignity" is now my new favorite expression.

I am glad you like it!
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

Corbin

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »
LOL

Umm... lets see...

NOT counting the three grandkids, because those belong to their mother even though they are living with the grandparents... Thirteen.

And they are in the process of adopting again. Because apprently that "aren't DONE yet!"

Its a four year old boy who seems to be afraid of pretty much everything. Its kinda sad, but I think he'll get used to them soon. (He's currently their foster baby, but by christmas they are hoping the paperwork will be done and he can take their last name.)

I just wanna know if its normal to let a couple keep adopting when they are in their 40-50s. I'm not being mean, I'm just curious, I heard somewhere that only young couples were allowed to adopt for some reason.

Older kids, and kids with severe traumas in their past are really really hard to place, but it's always in their best intrest to find a "forever family". And 40-50 isn't really over the hill just yet  ;) . My aunt is nearly 60, and adopted a pair of boys (both with Downs Syndrome) from the Ukraine two years ago.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
LOL

Umm... lets see...

Older kids, and kids with severe traumas in their past are really really hard to place, but it's always in their best intrest to find a "forever family". And 40-50 isn't really over the hill just yet  ;) . My aunt is nearly 60, and adopted a pair of boys (both with Downs Syndrome) from the Ukraine two years ago.

Ah.

And no, they are far from over the hill, they are SUPER energetic and are great parents.

I knew it seemed dumb that only young couples could adopt. I guess that's why it stuck with me is because it makes no sense.

Oddly, i don;t think they have ever adopted a baby, I think all their adopted babies have been 3 and older. (The husband made a joke one day that the best part of adoption is they come "pre-housetrained"   But he also makes jokes about getting kids Pre-Owned.... he's strange)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

PS: Speaking of Royal Audience: When Louis and Marie Antoinette tried for Royal Grandkids, at least a dozen servants were present.

I always felt awful for Emperor Joseph for having to explain to his brother in law how to sleep with his sister. Talk about an awkward conversation...

Honestly, if it were me, I don't know if I'd be able to resist seriously messing with somebody. "Well, you see, Louis, the most effective way to make a baby is for you to stick your finger in her ear, while she stands on her head and massages your kneecaps..."

I'm such a horrible person...
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »

It depends on where you are, but here they will allow older people to adopt- but they do have to take health considerations etc into account, and older parents are more likely to be placed with older children. It isn't a question of if the child is suitable for the family, but if the family is suitable for the child.
NE England

eclecticgrrl

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »

I don't know if the adoption rules are the same all over the places and I'm SURE that they vary country by country.  That being said, I know that my BF and I were told that if we tried to adopt now, we would only be allowed to adopt hard-to-place children because we're over 40.  The agencies that place brand-new pink babies (chubby dignity and all) won't work with older couples here.  I don't know if it's a law or not.

Quesselin

« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
LOL

Umm... lets see...

Busy people! Hope the adoption of the four year old goes through.

Here in Denmark the cut-off date for adoption is 45 years.

Corbin

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »
LOL

Umm... lets see...

Busy people! Hope the adoption of the four year old goes through.

Here in Denmark the cut-off date for adoption is 45 years.

Oh, and by the way... I figure that not being able to tell who is adopted and who isn't is probably the sign of very good adoptive parents!  ;)

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »

PS: Speaking of Royal Audience: When Louis and Marie Antoinette tried for Royal Grandkids, at least a dozen servants were present.

I always felt awful for Emperor Joseph for having to explain to his brother in law how to sleep with his sister. Talk about an awkward conversation...

Honestly, if it were me, I don't know if I'd be able to resist seriously messing with somebody. "Well, you see, Louis, the most effective way to make a baby is for you to stick your finger in her ear, while she stands on her head and massages your kneecaps..."

I'm such a horrible person...

*Snickers*  Are you my twin?  I'd do the same thing.  >:D

Jaelle

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »

As the mom of a little boy with Down Syndrome, I bless your aunt.

When DS1 was born, welcomed and loved from day one, my great aunt told me a sad little story no one else in the family had known. She was retired at that point, but had worked as a nurse for years ... including at a women's hospital in the nursery unit. A little girl was born with Down Syndrome and her family had ... refused to take her home.  :'(  This was probably about 40-plus years ago, and I know times are different, but ...

Great aunt wanted to adopt her. The authorities wouldn't let her. A single 30-something-year-old woman as a single mom? The scandal! To this day, she still wonders what happened to that little girl.

Such a pity. That child would have had such a wonderful life.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Corbin

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

When DS1 was born, welcomed and loved from day one, my great aunt told me a sad little story no one else in the family had known. She was retired at that point, but had worked as a nurse for years ... including at a women's hospital in the nursery unit. A little girl was born with Down Syndrome and her family had ... refused to take her home.  :'(  This was probably about 40-plus years ago, and I know times are different, but ...

Great aunt wanted to adopt her. The authorities wouldn't let her. A single 30-something-year-old woman as a single mom? The scandal! To this day, she still wonders what happened to that little girl.

My aunts oldest dd also has Downs (as does her brother, my wonderful uncle), so our family is pretty...outspoken about the issues surrounding people with Downs. The docs always wanted to do an amnio when I was pregnant, but I told them it wasn't a big deal for me, either way. It's a possiblity I have always considered, which is one area in which I am very fortunate!  ;D

Shea

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

Have you read the novel The Memory Keeper's Daughter? The story is very much like that, except it's twins, a boy without Down Syndrome and a girl with it. This being the early 1960's, the mother was put under anesthesia during the birth, and when her husband, a doctor, sees that the baby girl has Down Syndrome, he tells a nurse to take her to a "home" and tells his wife the girl died. The book tells the story of the family and how that choice impacted all their lives. It's a very good book, but so sad, especially when you realize that people really did things like that.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.