Author Topic: I find it ironic...  (Read 3531 times)

Ectoplasm

I find it ironic...
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »
...that the only place I have found the need to use "the line" is right here on our own E-Hell. I think I have made use of the famed line here about three or four time in the last week. Interesting thing to ponder.

I know other people have found use for the line on this board too. Would it be an interesting assumption to assume that many members here make lots of interesting assumptions? :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: I find it ironic...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:44:22 AM »
Actually, I'm finding that it's being OVERused here - mainly by people who are upset that someone has called them on bad behavior or because the poster finds the phrase to be an easy "wiggle out of something they got themselves into" tactic. Frankly, the phrase is getting on my nerves here, because it is, more often than not, being used incorrectly.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:09:01 AM »
Actually, I'm finding that it's being OVERused here - mainly by people who are upset that someone has called them on bad behavior or because the poster finds the phrase to be an easy "wiggle out of something they got themselves into" tactic. Frankly, the phrase is getting on my nerves here, because it is, more often than not, being used incorrectly.
ITA
Wherever you go.... there you are.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:51:46 AM »
I also think it is a lot easier to use when you have time to think about your response so it is more common to use when posting.  IRL when someone makes "an interesting assumption", you have to respond immediately so sometimes don't think of "the line" in time.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:24:33 AM »
ITA
Me too.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
ITA
Me too.
Me three!  usually when it's used here someones snarky side is lurking out.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
ITA
Me too.
Me three!  usually when it's used here someones snarky side is lurking out.

It pains me to admit it, but I don't think someone using it here  is always being snarky.  Some ehellers have very unique views and opinions.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »
I'm inclined to believe it's overused here too, though I can think of at least a couple of occasions IRL when it would have been more than appropriate for me to use.

I'm wondering if there aren't some alternative ways to let a person know they've leaped to an incorrect conclusion about something or someone.

ETA: In this interest of full disclosure, I did use a version of the line recently, and it was one of those cases in which I felt perfectly justified in doing so.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:29:32 PM by CathyF »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
I have actually felt the urge to use this line in a thread where I feel people are making interesting assumptions about people they feel are making interesting assumptions  :-\

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I have actually felt the urge to use this line in a thread where I feel people are making interesting assumptions about people they feel are making interesting assumptions  :-\

I know just what you mean.