Author Topic: You want me to do what now?  (Read 6322 times)

FunkyMunky

You want me to do what now?
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »
I'm in the final year of my Master's degree (by coursework). So there are some in-class aspects.

One girl missed a class, I am one of three doing the same language, so she emailed me to ask for the notes. My hand-written notes. She wanted me to type them up. I figure, hey, they'll be easier for me to read that way. So I type them up and email her the Word document.

But apparently she can only receive files in pdf format. So I have to convert my notes. I talk to DF, we get it organised. Then she asks me (after the briefest of thank-yous) if I could do the same every week because she doesn't want to have to travel to uni every week. It's an hour-and-a-half round trip for me, so I am not sympathetic.

I explain that it won't be possible for me to do that, and besides, she'd need to get the handouts as well (the professor won't let you have two - he's a bit stingy). "Oh, you can just photocopy them at the library (10c per page), and mail them to me".

I don't know this girl outside of this class. Who asks such things of a stranger?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:05:40 AM by FunkyMunky »

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Re: You want me to do what now?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:42:42 AM »
People who are used to others doing things for them.

Just continue to say no and stop answering her messages. I have a feeling she'll keep asking until she realizes you mean it.

MaggieB

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:06:28 AM »
The audacity of some people!  On the rare occasions when I need to miss class and borrow someone else's notes I always make it as easy on him or her as possible. 

How is her choosing a school too far away from her house your problem?  And if she's not going to class, she needs to take care of herself.

"I'm afraid that won't be possible" seems like a perfect response here.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:22:22 AM »
How is her choosing a school too far away from her house your problem?  And if she's not going to class, she needs to take care of herself.

She normally did go to class, but after this one incident, she realised "how much easier" it would be if I did all the note-taking for her, then she didn't even have to GO to class.

I should have offered to do it at standard Personal Assistant rates.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:51:50 AM »
I don't know this girl outside of this class. Who asks such things of a stranger?

A very entitled girl.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:54:01 AM »
Did she at least take it well when you (RIGHTFULLY) put her back in her place?
Wherever you go.... there you are.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:23:54 AM »

She whined. Literally.

"But you'll be doing it anywayyyyyyyyy"

"Actually, no, I hand-write my notes. I work full-time, I don't have time to do anything else. Sorry."
*grab my things and leave as quickly as I can.*

I ignored her emails for a week, then she got the hint. Or found a sucker to do it for her.

MaggieB

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:45:42 PM »

She whined. Literally.

"But you'll be doing it anywayyyyyyyyy"

"Actually, no, I hand-write my notes. I work full-time, I don't have time to do anything else. Sorry."
*grab my things and leave as quickly as I can.*

I ignored her emails for a week, then she got the hint. Or found a sucker to do it for her.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

Mahdoumi

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 12:51:23 PM »
Outrageous, narcissistic-like behavior!!!!  Good for you for sticking up for yourself - and nicely, to boot!  If you were going to be attending class for both you and her, she should be paying for half your credits, too. 

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
"I'd be happy to, but you should know that I charge $15 (or whatever) for each 90 minute class. And I require payment in advance."

I actually did this for someone. She decided that it was cheaper to occasionally use my notes when she couldn't get her regular daycare provider to watch her son for whatever reason. And I got paid for being in class.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Lexophile

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »
"I'd be happy to, but you should know that I charge $15 (or whatever) for each 90 minute class. And I require payment in advance."

I actually did this for someone. She decided that it was cheaper to occasionally use my notes when she couldn't get her regular daycare provider to watch her son for whatever reason. And I got paid for being in class.

Now THAT'S creative problem-solving!
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

LadyofMaine

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »
Give her phoney notes. >:D

Lynda_34

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
The professor may be stingy so that her type of behavior wouldn't be encouraged.
I'm taking classes and have an hour commute some people have longer.
One of the classes this summer met three times a week for two and a half hours.  Lots of gas. Sorry, you did the right thing by cutting her off.
Chances are the professor notes attendance even if it isn't part of the requirements and her tests would reflect that.
Of course if your notes are lousy then it's your fault she's not getting the grades she deserves.