Our favorite gift ever was a year's lease on a chicken that we received as a wedding gift.
We got married at a colonial festival and one of our friends found a place where you could "lease" an animal for a year. You didn't get the animal, of course, but what we got was quite amusing. Over the course of the next year, we received the following:
1. An 8x10 photo of "our" chicken (captioned "this is my chicken") (my DH hung this up at work)
2. A letter introducing our chicken, whose name was Harriet
3. A quarterly newsletter from the farm owner telling us what was going on, what the chickens and other animals were doing, etc.
4. A small bag containing an ounce or so of feed to show us what that our chicken was eating
5. A mug with a photo of our chicken (again, captioned "this is my chicken")
6. The final item -- a bag of egg noodles
We still have the photo and mug and think fondly of Harriet when we see them.