News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 20, 2017, 11:03:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vacation in New York  (Read 2058 times)

AnnaT

Re: Vacation in New York
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
Long Islander here, I love the city.  You've gotten some very good suggestions so far.

You need to do at least one observation deck, the classic one is the Empire State Building (I've been there many times).  I can't vouch for the view from the new One World Trade Center, as I haven't been there yet, but the view from the Twin Towers was amazing.  There's also an observation deck at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Even if you don't go to the observation deck at 30 Rock, you should walk around Rockefeller Center.  The Art Deco architecture is amazing. 

I love Serendipity 3, on East 60th, for ice cream.  And Dylan's Candy Bar is a few doors down.

Be forewarned, however, if you're walking around 5th Avenue in the 50's.  Security around Trump Tower is ... intense ... if Melania is at home.  And if he joins her, the whole neighborhood shuts down.

I've done the new World Trade Center observation deck - the elevator ride alone is worth the cost of the ticket!  It's actually quite a cool experience as to enter you go down into the bedrock that New York is built on, there is a small media display about the attacks (couldn't watch but OK to walk through) and then you're in line for the elevators and up for another media experience about building the new Tower and then voila! 

One warning is you can't really get good photos because you're just so much higher up that everything else -  you can see three states from the top!

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 02:08:38 AM »
If you're curious about the views from the observation decks, my flickr gallery has views from all three. On my last visit, I went to all three decks in one day, it was awesome!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31217544@N07/albums/72157669125970446

Top of the Rock generally has shorter lines than the Empire State, and you can view the Empire State itself from there. If you really want to do the Empire State, I suggest buying your tickets online before visiting- they're not timed so you can use them whenever you want. It will save you a LOT of time standing in the line for buying tickets, trust me on this. That is, unless you come really early in the morning, right after they open.
Both decks have indoor and outdoor areas, even outdoors you never feel like you could fall off- there are high fences.

One WTC doesn't have an outdoor area, so you will want to put your camera right up against the glass to get photos without the reflection in the window glass. You can get good pics of other buildings and landmarks if you have a decent zoom on your camera, here's a few pics I took:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31217544@N07/albums/72157657538835754/page2

Do feel free to admire the tall buildings- NYC has so many cool ones, I just love to wander the city photographing them.

One day on my last visit I went out to the Staten Island zoo, when I found out that they had my favorite type of exotic cat- servals. They also have Amur leopards, which are gorgeous! If you don't want to go that far out of your way, there's the Central Park zoo, which has snow leopards.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
One of my favorite things to do is spend a weekend in NYC. Here's my quick newbie itinerary:

Friday, get there by mid morning, check into a hotel, grab lunch somewhere quick, and spend the afternoon in a museum (my favorites are the Met, MOMA, Natural History, Guggenheim, in that order, with plenty of others to try if you're interested in something more specific). Walk through Central Park in the late afternoon/early evening to dinner. Late dessert or drinks.
Next day, bagels at Zabar's or one of the other great bagel shops or your nearest diner. Fill up and put on your walking shoes. Walk to Times Square for gawking and/or the WTC site to pay your respects (or the Empire State Building if views are more your thing), then walk around the area to see what catches your eye. After lunch, another museum, then dinner or dinner and a show (I'm not too into Broadway, but if you love theater, you can't pass it up). We have also gone to standup or a club with live music.

The next day, brunch and either walking over the Brooklyn Bridge or shopping or Ellis Island (which I recommend if you're not dead set on the statue herself, as you cruise right by and stop to let people off, so you can still see it without ascending), then exploring whatever neighborhood you find yourself in. I can't tell you whether Chinatown or the Village or whatever else will be best for you. Drive/fly out the next day.

I also love the NY Public Library (like a museum, really) and the Whitney museum and ...

My final tip is to stay somewhere small and inexpensive (comparatively) and use your budget for outings and food. The subway is hot, occasionally unpredictable and often dirty or crowded (compared to other major cities' transit), but it's by far your cheapest transit option and runs regularly and is probably close to everywhere you want to be. Buses are OK, too.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
If you like jazz, I strongly recommend Birdland.
http://www.birdlandjazz.com/ The music is always fabulous.

Rice to Riches in Nolita has all kinds of flavors of rice pudding. So good.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/rice-to-riches-new-york

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

katycoo

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
My biggest recommendation for anyone who loves theatre is to dine at Ellen's Stardust Diner.  Performing staff = a free show (though there is an extra tip hat passed around).  They are amazing and I loved it so much!

Devils Advocate

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Thank you guys!  You are really making me excited to go!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »
If you are in the Times Square area and looking for somewhere to eat, I would recommend walking to 9th Avenue - there are a lot of good restaurants and less touristy than the ones right on Times Square.  Anywhere from 42nd to 59th are good.  There are also quite a few food halls in NYC that are worth visiting, like Chelsea Market, Gotham West, Great Northern Food Hall, Pennsy, the Plaza, and Turnstyle.  If you are around Columbus Circle, the restaurant Landmarc in the Time Warner Center has good, reliable food.  You can also enter Central Park at Columbus Circle.

If you love books, the Strand bookstore in Union Square is worth a visit.  If you love mysteries, the Mystery Bookshop in Tribeca is fun.  The owner, Otto Penzler, is full of stories. 

rigs32

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
There is a lot of NY that's not NYC.  I'm guessing from the replies that you're only visiting NYC?

NFPwife

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
If you are in the Times Square area and looking for somewhere to eat, I would recommend walking to 9th Avenue - there are a lot of good restaurants and less touristy than the ones right on Times Square.  Anywhere from 42nd to 59th are good.  There are also quite a few food halls in NYC that are worth visiting, like Chelsea Market, Gotham West, Great Northern Food Hall, Pennsy, the Plaza, and Turnstyle.  If you are around Columbus Circle, the restaurant Landmarc in the Time Warner Center has good, reliable food.  You can also enter Central Park at Columbus Circle.

If you love books, the Strand bookstore in Union Square is worth a visit.  If you love mysteries, the Mystery Bookshop in Tribeca is fun.  The owner, Otto Penzler, is full of stories.

I'm so glad you mentioned the Strand bookstore. We just got home from NYC and we walked into Strand and I thought, "I need to add this to the thread!" :D

This one's kind of random, but my favorite food in NYC is the passion fruit sorbet at Jacques Torres. There's a location in Grand Central Terminal. (They have other locales, too.) Also, I don't think anyone mentioned Eataly - it's on 23rd near Fifth Avenue. My best way to describe it is as "Foodie Heaven." The Nutella part of the store makes delicious coffees and sweet treats - pastries, crepes, etc. with, obviously, Nutella.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:03 PM »
FauxFoodist - my husband went to a taping of SNL years ago (Chris Farley was still on).  He had an absolute blast.  If you can get tickets it's a fun thing to do, from everything he has told me.

I used to live in NYC and was there most recently with my 12 year old daughter to see Hamilton in March.  Just go and have fun!  I can't wait to go back again soon . . .

cicero

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 03:18:05 AM »

If you love books, the Strand bookstore in Union Square is worth a visit. If you love mysteries, the Mystery Bookshop in Tribeca is fun.  The owner, Otto Penzler, is full of stories.
And if you're a geek, then the forbidden planet is near the strand. https://www.fpnyc.com awesome collection of comics and related items.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Devils Advocate

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, we took many of your suggestions and we went and had a wonderful time.  I sincerely appreciate everyone's input!