Author Topic: Baby Clothes Sizing  (Read 635 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Baby Clothes Sizing
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Since I know that there are a few moms with toddlers on here, I figured this is a good place to ask.

I am about to move DD into 18 month clothes, so I'm gearing up to hit the sales for her next batch (are mom 2 mom sales common elsewhere?  I love them).  However, in going through the hand me downs that I have, I've noticed that I have about half and half 24 month and 2T clothes, and I can't figure out the difference between the two.  Is there a functional difference between those sizes?  Should I separate my bins and buy in both sizes, or buy what I like in either size and mix them together?

Thanks!!

dawbs

Re: Baby Clothes Sizing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
I've been told that the 24 month = room for diapers underneath, 2T = smaller butt.
(I'm being told the same thing about the difference between 4T and 4).

I always used them interchangeably, but everything was (is) to big for my kid's butt :-P

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:47:37 PM »
T for Toddler usually still has room for a diaper where a size without the T won't.

The 24 months compared to the 2T is more likely to be a difference between a baby who isn't always walking (24 mos. may still crawl some if the baby is large for their age and still cruising from one piece of furniture to the other and doing some crawling).  The 2T is more likely to be a child who isn't crawling any more (unless it's under the table or bed to play hide & seek).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
I didn't see any difference.  Maybe they matter in pants, but DD rarely wore them.  We used a LOT of dresses.  They are extremely forgiving in size.  This weekend 4-year-old DD pulled down a dress from her closet and was wearing.  I thought it might be getting a tad short.  The tag said 18M.  She is a small 4-year-old, but she is on the growth chart now.

I love those Mom-To-Mom sales!  I would buy some of each size and mix them.  And, look in the 3's and 4's too.  My favorite clothes were ones that I bought way ahead of time because they were just so darn cute.  Plus, it is always good to have some too big clothes.  Because one day everything fits, and then the very next day the footed PJ's are 2 inches too short. 

One other hint, weed out the too small clothes before bringing in the bigger clothes rather the other way around.  I got a little depressed one day because I ended with putting away the clothes my sweet baby would never wear again. 

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
I didn't see any difference.  Maybe they matter in pants, but DD rarely wore them.  We used a LOT of dresses.  They are extremely forgiving in size.  This weekend 4-year-old DD pulled down a dress from her closet and was wearing.  I thought it might be getting a tad short.  The tag said 18M.  She is a small 4-year-old, but she is on the growth chart now.

I love those Mom-To-Mom sales!  I would buy some of each size and mix them.  And, look in the 3's and 4's too.  My favorite clothes were ones that I bought way ahead of time because they were just so darn cute.  Plus, it is always good to have some too big clothes.  Because one day everything fits, and then the very next day the footed PJ's are 2 inches too short. 

One other hint, weed out the too small clothes before bringing in the bigger clothes rather the other way around.  I got a little depressed one day because I ended with putting away the clothes my sweet baby would never wear again.

I'll probably pick up some 3T basics like jeans and t-shirts, but at this point she's growing so slowly that I don't want to pick out a whole wardrobe only to find out it's the wrong season.  Then again, she'll probably be in 3T for both summer and winter the way we're going, so maybe it won't matter...

So far I've been doing a full switch at once, even if some of the current stuff still fits and some of the new stuff will be too big.  I've got a bin for each size in the garage, and it's just too much stress for me to be putting stuff piecemeal out there.  That will probably change as she gets bigger and the size disparity between brands gets bigger.

Thanks for all the help!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:02 PM »
Absolutely no difference between 2T and 24m - or rather, any potential "room for diaper versus not" difference is more than eclipsed by the normal amount of variation you find between cuts/brands of clothing anyway.  (Bittybartfast is in 2T/24m right now.)  I suspect the difference in sizing is more based on what other sizes that style comes in - if the other options are newborn on up, it's probably sized 24m.  If 2T is the smallest and it goes up to 6X, then they'll call it 2T.

You don't have to worry about seasons as much now, either - unless something is particularly large/small and is misleadingly labeled, you'll get at least one season's wear out of it.  You can safely buy winter 2T stuff now and assume your 2-year-old will still need it by then, for example, unless their third birthday is coming up soon.  You can also assume that, if your kid just hit 2T now, he/she can probably wear summer clothes and then wear the same clothes when you pull them out next year, at least for part of the summer.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:02 PM »
I never noticed any difference, personally.  However, it did seem to me like 2T clothes were less "babyish" than 24 months, in general. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

lilfox

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
I suspect the difference in sizing is more based on what other sizes that style comes in - if the other options are newborn on up, it's probably sized 24m.  If 2T is the smallest and it goes up to 6X, then they'll call it 2T.

This is my experience as well, and it also explains the less baby-ish look of 2T clothes since they're designed more for preschoolers than babies.  In the toddler sizes (2-6) the T designation seemed to mean extra room for a diaper/pull-ups in the seat.

DD is big for her age (4.5 yrs) so has always been 6 months to a year or two head on sizing.  She also runs warm, so we have gotten a lot of use out of summer clothes and almost none out of warm winter clothes. Because of how much brands vary, at any given time she can currently wear 4, 4T, 5, 6/6X and I just found some 3T pants that still fit in the waist but are too short.   Dresses, especially loose fitting casual styles, are probably the best because you can buy them big to start, then as the kid grows the dress could become a tunic. Same concept with buying tunics a size too big - they can be worn like dresses until they fit more correctly, then as tunics. We've gotten close to two years' of use out of some dresses/tunics this way.

Because of all the variation, the logical thing to do is have the kid try everything on, but that is laughably impractical. A better way is to find one item of each type that fits well or is roomy enough to grow into, then hold up others and compare the various seams (neck to shoulder, arm lengths, armpit to bottom hem, inseams in pants, etc).

bonyk

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:33:06 AM »
Interesting! I've been trying to figure out the difference between 6 and 6x.  Anyone?

dawbs

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:15:03 AM »
Interesting! I've been trying to figure out the difference between 6 and 6x.  Anyone?
As a kid, I know 6x was bigger--it was basically because after size 6 were 'big girl' clothes, before size 6 were little girl clothes.
so 6x were 'little girl' clothes a bit bigger than a 6.

I was looking for a friend at one point and actually found an article on it :)
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/174786/size_6_vs_6x_whats

bonyk

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:52:03 AM »
Thanks, dawbs!

Olena

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:10:37 AM »
I just asked this same question of my co-worker this week.  :) My daughter is 18 months but tall. I was looking online at some sales for for 24 months/2T size and was wondering about this. My co-worker said that the 2T size tended to be longer.

texgalatheart

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 11:35:25 AM »
I found the starting with 4T vs 4, that the 4's were longer.

Frog24

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 07:08:26 PM »
It's harder with second-hand sales, but there are some brands whose sizing is more consistent than others.  For example, DD1 is a string bean (always was).  Carters onesies were thin and long, so they fit her better than, say, Cherokee which were wider and shorter.  Once we found a brand whose shape fit the kid well, we tried to stick with it.

Now that there are two girls running around the house, the clothes sometimes get mixed up.  I've looked at the 18 mo old's pants and thought "huh, those are cut a little weird", only to find they were her sister's size 5 shorts (with the waist waaaaaaay cinched in).  I think she was wearing her sister's size 3T leggings the other day, and they fit her just fine.

You've probably already thought of this, but bring an existing shirt/pants/shoe with you to the sale so you can measure the new things you'd like to buy against clothing you already know fits, or is going to be small.