News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 24, 2017, 12:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 3170349 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #21015 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »
Re: Levi

For what it's worth, Mr. Strauss was originally named Löb. He adopted "Levi" after emigrating to the US. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

FauxFoodist

« Reply #21016 on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:30 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with the name Levi.  I've been the obnoxious one making fun of someone's name so I could see me doing something like that.

I met a guy named Fred once.  I was drunk when I met him at a party and thought he was kidding because he was wearing a striped green and red sweater that looked just like the one worn by Freddy Kreuger (it was the 80s shortly after the first movie came out).  My BFF told me that really was his name when he'd gone into the bathroom (we met in the hallway waiting in line for the bathroom).  Oops (I think he was really drunk, too, so he didn't care).

I also once had a CW named Bert (also in the 80s -- significant just because I was a teen and a lot more obnoxious then).  I kept asking where was Ernie, ha ha ha (yes, I would laugh after I said it).

I've learned it's much safer if I keep my mouth shut (especially if I've been drinking).  I tend to say really stupid things otherwise.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #21017 on: April 21, 2017, 06:40:48 AM »
A colleague and I were discussing this week how the proliferation of unusual spellings and unique uses of accents and hyphens in names requires us to ask students to spell their relatively common names, which does not make them happy, but is the only way we can be sure to find them.

Names in question?
Byll
Breeanna
Meshelle
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

vintagegal

« Reply #21018 on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:14 AM »
I find some names are forever associated (for me) with dogs I have known. I can't hear the name Luke without thinking of a basset hound, Bailey, a black lab, and Levi, a golden retriever. Oh, and Riley the cat.

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #21019 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
Re: Levi

For what it's worth, Mr. Strauss was originally named Löb. He adopted "Levi" after emigrating to the US.

That's interesting - I had no idea!

My Mother has a double first cousins called Twink.  ...  87 years old and the only time her real name was used was when she died.

I think that when a person is known to everyone as "Nickname" the obituary should at least use that name once. Like this:

Denise "Twinkle" Jones

or this:

Known by family and friends as "Twinkle" for her sparkling personality, Denise was born in ...

I'm known by almost everyone by my nickname. My family knows they have to use that or no one will know I'm dead! (When they used my real name in our year books, everyone was so upset that they put the wrong name under my picture.)

My grandfather went by a nickname for most of his life, so that's exactly what we did when he died:
Name "Nickname" LastName

And my mother never uses her first name, so I don't know if we would even include it in an obit when she dies. Most of her family (cousins, etc.) doesn't even know her first name; she has always been MiddleName to them. In fact, when we ordered Dad's grave stone, she ordered the double stone to have her name, too, and she just had them do MiddleName LastName for herself.

(Quote snipped for brevity)

rose red

« Reply #21020 on: April 21, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
I worked somewhere where one of the male employees was introduced to me as "Kim."  I was told out of earshot that his first name is "Kimberly."  Poor guy.
Kim used to be a male name, but once it started being used for girls it shifted to being perceived as a girls name. Along with other male names like Ashley, Vivian, Lindsey, Carol, Beverly, Meredith and Sidney.

I've never known of any male Kimberlys (all my life it was just females), but I have come across males with all the other names (I still think of Sidney as a male name, although I notice it being more often used as a female name).  The guy I met was about my age or a little older (so he'd be 40s-50s) and a Caucasian American.  I've heard of guys named "Kim," but they were Asian and not American (and just "Kim," not short for anything).

James Corden's middle name is Kimberly. Seems it's a tradition that goes back generations to gave males that name in his family. Perhaps it was a common male (or both male and female?) name back in the days of the original Kimberly Corden.

Did anyone see Corden and David Schwimmer's rap showdown where David brings it up? ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:56:49 AM by rose red »

HoneyBee42

« Reply #21021 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Now I'm reminded of my grandmother, who had always gone by her middle name.  I knew that people who were adults other than my mom and her siblings called my grandmother this particular name, but when I was in my late teens, my grandmother was in the hospital and my mom told me that if I sent a card to her at the hospital, I would need to address it to [first name] instead of the name that I knew she went by.  I opted to mail to the house for my grandfather to take up if it got there before she was going to be discharged, so addressed it the way I was more familiar.  The obit (many years after that) had first and middle names (and her maiden surname in parentheses, even though she'd been married for 59 years when she died).

These days, I know the hospital has a spot in the chart for "patient's preferred name" which would cover issues like people going by middle names or nicknames.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #21022 on: April 21, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »
The obit (many years after that) had first and middle names (and her maiden surname in parentheses, even though she'd been married for 59 years when she died).

Including her maiden name in the obit would help a descendant researching his/her family tree.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #21023 on: April 22, 2017, 05:33:57 AM »
My great-grandfather's given name was Oswald. However, he was called Joe by those who knew him.

If you saw Mr Joe Phelps in a newspaper in the region he lived in, you would've known it was him-- however, for family historians, it will be incredibly confusing. Cause you'd think Joe was short for Joseph, so you'd look for a Joseph Phelps, not Oswald Harris Phelps, which was his legal name.

Captains Flat, Australia

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #21024 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »
My great-grandfather's given name was Oswald. However, he was called Joe by those who knew him.

If you saw Mr Joe Phelps in a newspaper in the region he lived in, you would've known it was him-- however, for family historians, it will be incredibly confusing. Cause you'd think Joe was short for Joseph, so you'd look for a Joseph Phelps, not Oswald Harris Phelps, which was his legal name.

This reminded me of my fathers name, as well as my brothers name, and a few before them. My brother is James William V, and he goes by Jim, my dad mostly went by Bill, but some times used Jim. My grandfather passed just after my parents met, but I'm guessing he must have gone by Jim or James most of the time.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #21025 on: Yesterday at 07:32:05 AM »
I've started working with a new program at my organization, and I'm coming up with a lot of new, interesting names. 

Terranaye
Dezvious
Dre'Cash
Ja'Mya
Maddiyyson

Cor

« Reply #21026 on: Yesterday at 06:03:50 PM »
ZalyKha Graceful Lorraina Allah, born to Elizabeth Handy and Bilal Walk.  A judge wouldn't let them pick a different last name than the parents at first, but they've sued and now won and got the name they wanted.  Her brothers already have the last name of Allah, so it seems like the horses were already let out of the barn by the time this case came up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-parents-win-battle-over-toddler-last-name-allah/

FauxFoodist

« Reply #21027 on: Yesterday at 06:20:35 PM »
ZalyKha Graceful Lorraina Allah, born to Elizabeth Handy and Bilal Walk.  A judge wouldn't let them pick a different last name than the parents at first, but they've sued and now won and got the name they wanted.  Her brothers already have the last name of Allah, so it seems like the horses were already let out of the barn by the time this case came up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/georgia-parents-win-battle-over-toddler-last-name-allah/

If I were the parents, I certainly would've wondered why I was being given a hard time about the last name of the 3rd kid after the first two kids were given the same last name without trouble.