Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186759 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6300 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »
Don't say that, I just subscribed to the digital version!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6301 on: September 30, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »
Is this Aldi's? Not that I've ever been in one, but they're the only store I've heard of where you have to make a quarter deposit to get a cart.  Due to hearing tons about it from someone who drove me crazy in other ways, I have yet to go in the local store even though we've been here 5 years.

This person talked it up as the superior choice for anyone who wanted to be smart with their money.

Sounds like Aldi's to me too. I shop there weekly. Yes, their selection is limited, and you have to bring a quarter and provide your own bags. But on staples such as milk, eggs, butter, bacon, pantry items and basic meats, their prices are anywhere from 20-40% lower than the other grocery stores in my area. I've shopped there long enough to be familiar with which items are a good buy and which are not. I usually shop there first, and then go to another grocery store if there are other items I didn't get at Aldi.  Honestly I'd say Aldi's is an "acquired taste". :) But it saves my family a lot of money.

We just got an Aldi's near my neighborhood, and I already knew to bring a quarter and my own bags. BUT....the produce is always *just barely* this side of overripe, and the fresh selections are extremely limited.  The meat always looks questionable to me. Like the other poster, I'll go there for nonperishables, but since it's out of my way and I simply don't have the time to go to multiple grocery stores, it's a rare trip.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:16:56 AM by LadyJaneinMD »

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6302 on: September 30, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
There's an Aldi's in our neighborhood, which (as I mentioned in the bad-eating thread) is a food desert. The selection is terrible. It's mostly junk food and ramen. Meat and veggies look terrible. Not returning.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

LeeLee88

« Reply #6303 on: September 30, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
The Aldi near my parents' place is very nice with great meat and produce.  The two near me are awful, and I've given up.  My dad was concerned about the really poor quality he saw at the one closest to me (in a nice area, btw), and questioned a manager he knew about why my Aldi was so different from their Aldi.  The manager said that each store manager is responsible for the ordering and quality, and that if the quality was that bad, and it's a "food desert" of just junk, then to take it up with the manager, as that is what he/she is ordering.  I thought that was very interesting, but I haven't done it, as I figure if the local managers can't figure out they need to fix what they're doing, they aren't going to listen to one person who isn't even a regular.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6304 on: September 30, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
Having never been to an Aldi's, I need to know... for those who have been to a Save-A-Lot, are the two stores roughly equivalent?

Because all of these descriptions could easily be applied to Save-A-Lot.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6305 on: September 30, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
I don't know, honestly. I do know that Aldi's is the parent company of Trader Joe's, however.

Someone once told me they go to S-A-L for meat but when I went to look I saw enough brown meat in that section to be turned off from ever buying meat there.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6306 on: Yesterday at 04:37:49 AM »
Having never been to an Aldi's, I need to know... for those who have been to a Save-A-Lot, are the two stores roughly equivalent?

Ha! That's funny you say that Diane! I have a save a lot near my place. Its the only place I shop because its affordable and close by. Yes sometimes we get spoiled food. The last two times I went to buy steakmms for my dog they were spoiled. Yes we still shop there, and no we really shouldn't. But unfortunately we don't have a choice, and the stores that stock such poor quality things know this, and take advantage of it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6307 on: Yesterday at 12:54:29 PM »

Ha! That's funny you say that Diane! I have a save a lot near my place. Its the only place I shop because its affordable and close by. Yes sometimes we get spoiled food. The last two times I went to buy steakmms for my dog they were spoiled. Yes we still shop there, and no we really shouldn't. But unfortunately we don't have a choice, and the stores that stock such poor quality things know this, and take advantage of it.

In general, if it comes in a can or a box, I'll got o Save-A-Lot... but the dairy, meat, and produce areas? Those don't exist anymore.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6308 on: Yesterday at 01:52:33 PM »
I'm not in a food desert, but the local Safeway has a small meat department, and most of what's there isn't that impressive.  I buy most of our meat at Winco, which has a great meat department.  On the other hand, Safeway's produce is as good or better than Winco's, so if all I need is a couple of carrots I just go to Safeway, which is a lot closer. 

I use cloth bags I made myself, because those plastic bags are so flimsy they've broken on me, and I've had to fish cans of soup from under an SUV. 

Betelnut

« Reply #6309 on: Yesterday at 04:40:51 PM »
Golden Corral which, for those of you who aren't familiar with it, is a restaurant that has a huge variety of food served buffet style.  My daughter wanted to go and I, very reluctantly, took her.

Ugh!  It is expensive!  It is dirty (food spilled on the floor, not being cleaned up)!  Crowded beyond belief with people milling around at various stations getting overcooked beef, etc.!  NO atmosphere--just rows and rows of booths and tables, crammed in, bright lights and lots and lots of people walking by with piled high plates of food!

Plus, I have a lapband and can't really eat much at one time.  Normally, I take home 1/2 to 2/3 of the food I order at a restaurant for later.

Never again daughter, no matter how much you beg!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6310 on: Yesterday at 05:19:45 PM »
My husband & I went to one once, with some relatives who had children of the eat-everything-in-sight ages. Even those kids didn't like it, and my husband saw enough probable health code violations he ate almost nothing and we ended up getting fast food on the way home.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6311 on: Yesterday at 05:25:24 PM »
As in many businesses, owners and managers of the location make the difference. There are at least 5 Golden Corral locations in my area. Only one is good, with good staff and constant food refreshing.

The Tropical Smoothie Café in my building. I have given them too many second chances and I am now officially done.
*They constantly run out of food/smoothies they advertise heavily. They do not tell the person taking the orders that they are out of item(s), until after the order has been placed and paid for.
*They have employees with visible underwear. As in t-shirt, underwear, pants. I do not need to know the color or print of your boxers while you are working on people's food orders.
*They were unable to fulfill part of my order at the time, and told me to come back later to get that part. I was questioned extensively whether or not I had paid for item (I had), and ignored for fifteen minutes.

I'm done.