Author Topic: S/O Childhood books - Childhood films (and t.v.!)  (Read 583 times)

Coley

Re: S/O Childhood books - Childhood films (and t.v.!)
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 12:10:08 PM »
I was born in 1967. As a young child, I loved Captain Kangaroo and Sesame Street. I was a big fan of The Brady Bunch, Bewitched, and My Three Sons. I watched them in syndication every day after school. Saturday morning favorites were Land of the Lost, the Pink Panther, and Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. The Shazam and Isis show was pretty big. And yes, Big John, Little John. I also liked a lot of the game shows -- Match Game, Hollywood Squares, Price is Right.

For evening shows, I loved Carol Burnett and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. We watched a lot of the variety shows -- Mac Davis, Glen Campbell's Goodtime Hour, and Sonny and Cher. I remember my parents watched Laugh In. I loved Little House on the Prairie. We couldn't get the ABC TV network at our house until about 1978, so when we did, I liked Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley. My parents wouldn't let me watch Three's Company. I liked both The Love Boat and Fantasy Island.

Like a lot of '70s-era kids, I enjoyed The Wizard of Oz when it was shown on TV. Also, they should Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder on TV, too.

The first movie I remember seeing in a theater is the Aristocats. I would have been 3 years old. We saw a lot of Disney movies and other films at weekend and summer matinees for kids. Benji, Escape to Witch Mountain, that sort of thing. The biggest movie I remember seeing was Star Wars in 1977 when I was 10. After that, it was probably Grease and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 12:38:30 PM »
I forgot The Wonderful Workd of Disney every week, plus all the Disney movies.  Also love Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlon Perkins

I was just thinking last night about the WWoD and how they showed a movie each Sunday night. Having the one TV with all of 4 channels, we made popcorn and it was a Family Event.  I kind of miss that.  I actually kind of miss having TV programming the whole family could watch in general.  I can think of 4 shows on network TV right now that are appropriate for younger viewers and even they sometimes stray into adult territory without it being A Very Special Episode.

We also enjoyed The Love Boat, Fantasy Island and the network sitcoms of the 80s; Diffren't Strokes, Silver Spoons, Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Facts of Life, etc.

I loved 3-2-1 Contact.  I wish they'd put that on Netflix, I think my kids would really enjoy it.  They have Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal though.  My kids couldn't get into Labyrinth.  They just don't appreciate the legend that is David B I guess.  :P

mime

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 02:13:39 PM »
I remember the Wizard of Oz as an event, too. One year, we watched at my aunt's house because she had a color TV! The next day, all the kids in the neighborhood would "play" the Wizard of Oz.

In grade school, the Dukes of Hazzard was a hit (I was a Luke fan instead of Bo). My whole family watched Tales of the Golden Monkey, but I don't know anyone today who even remembers it. It had an Indiana Jones vibe, if I remember correctly.

When I was about 10, I watched the series finale of MASH with my parents. That was some pretty heavy stuff for me at the time!

southern girl

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:09:05 PM »
Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Captain Kangaroo, Ed Sullivan, Looney Tunes, The 3 Stooges, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Romper Room -- all wonderful shows I remember from my childhood.  Does anyone remember a show called "Circus Boy?"  It featured Mickey Dolenz later of The Monkees.  I also remember one of the Disney films about a bunch of kids in Paris running around in the sewers.  I remember it was one of my favorite Disney showing, but I can't recall the name of it.  In my small town in South Georgia, we only had NBC and CBS and the educational channel.  No ABC because there was no affiliate anywhere near us.

When I was a little older it was Star Trek and Lost in Space along with The Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched, The Addams Family, The Munsters and re-runs of I Love Lucy.  A little later still was Laugh-In.

Syfygeek

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 03:57:08 PM »
Once a year, on a Sunday afternoon, The Wizard of Oz - I didn't know for years that Kansas was black and white and Oz in color because our TV was black and white  ;D  And you knew all of your friends were watching it too, because there was no way to see it except that one Sunday afternoon each year.

The westerns - Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Paladin, The Rifleman.  Rin Tin Tin.  Alfred Hitchcock Presents until one episode scared me so much I didn't watch it the rest of that season. My mom's soaps (or stories as my aunt called them)...15 minutes of Edge of Night, followed by The Secret Storm. 

When I got a bit older, we all rushed home after school to watch Dark Shadows.  And Time Tunnel, with the ever so cute James Darren.

Disney movies, and more westerns like Stagecoach and family movies that were at drive in movies.

I watched Dark Shadows after kindergarten (my older sisters were teenagers then), and fell madly in love with Barnabas/Quentin (I couldn't make up my mind).

As a kid, we had Bob Gordon Theater, on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons, depending on what sport season it was. He showed High Chaparral, Time Tunnel, The Invaders, and other shows. He also could fold a dollar bill into a bow tie, and put a straw through a potato.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 04:23:57 PM »
*snip*
Then there was 'Winky Dink'. This was the first show on which I noticed a tie-in to buy things connected to the show.  Winky Dink was a little kid with a big star smashed on his head.  Each week he went out to solve problems and the viewers had to help him.  To do this, you needed The Winky Dink kit.  This was a plastic screen you put on the front of your TV and a set of four very soft,  oily crayons in the colors red, green, yellow and black.  the adventure would involve something along the lines of 'Winky needs to cross the river but there isn't any bridge.  can you draw one for him?'

There were problems with Winky because children who wanted to play didn't have parents who wanted to buy the kit.  There were children who put up a piece of plastic wrap on the TV screen and tried to follow the story with Venus Paradise colored pencils.  This sort of behavior was not going to end well
*snip*
Wow I find this bit of television history trivia fascinating! I think 'Winky Dink' was ahead of its time, considering the modern day success of interactive shows like Dora the Explorer and Blue's Clues. While it may have seemed weird and gimmicky, Winky was quite the trailblazer.  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:18:58 AM »
I forgot about "Today's special"!
I'll also add "Reading Rainbow", "The Polka Dot Door" and "Mr Dressup".