News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 28, 2015, 10:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 371925 times)

Elisabunny

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1995 on: May 23, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »
DS told me that his biology teacher related this incident to them, because they are going to do a squid dissection today.

A year or two ago, the teacher had a student who couldn't handle dissections - he would faint when he saw the inside of the creature. He didn't realize that the squid dissection was on that day but he had to go ahead and do it. And when Mr. Squid was opened up, he once again fainted.

And when he fainted, he fell forward and face planted. Into the squid.

That's a good one for "Things You Shouldn't Laugh At"  ;D

Too funny! Not sure if I've posted this in here before, it's not quite Student Darwinism but it could have been. A friend of mine from high school had gotten into dentistry school & during his gross anatomy class, he passed out when they started doing the dissection. Apparently hit is head pretty hard & missed the rest of class that day. He was afraid that it would get him kicked out of the program but it turns out that's a fairly common occurrence & he was able to complete the course ;)

Anybody else now picturing the opening credits to Quincy M.E. ?
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #1996 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »
DS told me that his biology teacher related this incident to them, because they are going to do a squid dissection today.

A year or two ago, the teacher had a student who couldn't handle dissections - he would faint when he saw the inside of the creature. He didn't realize that the squid dissection was on that day but he had to go ahead and do it. And when Mr. Squid was opened up, he once again fainted.

And when he fainted, he fell forward and face planted. Into the squid.

That's a good one for "Things You Shouldn't Laugh At"  ;D

Too funny! Not sure if I've posted this in here before, it's not quite Student Darwinism but it could have been. A friend of mine from high school had gotten into dentistry school & during his gross anatomy class, he passed out when they started doing the dissection. Apparently hit is head pretty hard & missed the rest of class that day. He was afraid that it would get him kicked out of the program but it turns out that's a fairly common occurrence & he was able to complete the course ;)

Anybody else now picturing the opening credits to Quincy M.E. ?

At least that cop fell sideways instead of into Quincy's autopsy field...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1997 on: May 26, 2015, 08:56:41 PM »
Was reminded of this recently - a high school student left his essay in the printer at my library.  Not darwinism, but I suspect he got a low grade.

His essay was on how Martin Luther fought for women's rights during the Civil War.

Based on what other students' papers were on, I suspect his topic was Martin Luther King in the civil rights era.

dawnfire

« Reply #1998 on: May 26, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »
Was reminded of this recently - a high school student left his essay in the printer at my library.  Not darwinism, but I suspect he got a low grade.

His essay was on how Martin Luther fought for women's rights during the Civil War.

Based on what other students' papers were on, I suspect his topic was Martin Luther King in the civil rights era.

well at least he didn't mix up Martin Luther with Martin Luther King   :P

greencat

« Reply #1999 on: May 26, 2015, 11:10:59 PM »

I thought that was exactly what he did?  Martin Luther, original flavor, wrote the 95 Theses, which were a protest of a practice followed by the Catholic Church at the time, a few centuries before the American Civil War.  The only Martin Luther of note in the Civil War was a Martin Luther Smith, who was a general...of the Confederate Army.  Martin Luther King, Jr. was the 1960's era Civil Rights movement leader.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2000 on: May 26, 2015, 11:54:24 PM »

I thought that was exactly what he did?  Martin Luther, original flavor, wrote the 95 Theses, which were a protest of a practice followed by the Catholic Church at the time, a few centuries before the American Civil War.  The only Martin Luther of note in the Civil War was a Martin Luther Smith, who was a general...of the Confederate Army.  Martin Luther King, Jr. was the 1960's era Civil Rights movement leader.
I think dawnfire meant, "at least he didn't write Martin Luther King into the Civil war" (although writing Martin Luther into the civil war is still wrong, just wrong in a different direction in time.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2001 on: Yesterday at 11:42:46 AM »
This reminds me of a classic that a library visitor told me. 

'Hannibal took his elephants over the Alps to bring Islam to Spain'. 

He was seriously trying to 'educate' me. 

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2002 on: Yesterday at 12:25:25 PM »

Where oh where is the head-explode smily when you need it?!

I mean, that one is not just historically wrong, it's geographically wrong as well - I suppose we should be at least grateful the chap didn't inform you it was Mr T and his elephants. Or Howling Mad Murdoch...

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #2003 on: Yesterday at 04:43:54 PM »
don't forget Face
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2004 on: Yesterday at 05:42:58 PM »
I pity the fool who messes with Mr. T's elephants!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2005 on: Yesterday at 05:57:51 PM »

Where oh where is the head-explode smily when you need it?!

I mean, that one is not just historically wrong, it's geographically wrong as well - I suppose we should be at least grateful the chap didn't inform you it was Mr T and his elephants. Or Howling Mad Murdoch...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~