News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 17, 2015, 11:46:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2118134 times)

Frog24

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #19275 on: April 08, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
Saw these today:

Baby boy: Leeim

Kids: Asiah (g) (I assume pronounced "Asia"), Azariah (g) , Alijah (b), Aniyah (g), Ariyanah (g), Anthony (b), Ava (g) and Alexia (g)

(I was worried the -ah ending would be on all the names, but I guess the last three didn't need it?)

Betelnut

« Reply #19276 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
Saw these today:

Kids: Asiah (g) (I assume pronounced "Asia"), Azariah (g) , Alijah (b), Aniyah (g), Ariyanah (g), Anthony (b), Ava (g) and Alexia (g)

(I was worried the -ah ending would be on all the names, but I guess the last three didn't need it?)

Siblings?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mergatroyd

« Reply #19277 on: April 08, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Anthony is a nice name, as is Ava.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19278 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:14 PM »
...  Baby boy: Leeim ...

Like Liam?  ???

Catananche

« Reply #19279 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:27 AM »
Saw these today:

What's wrong with spelling them Azaria, Alia, Anja/Anya, Ariana?
While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

scotcat60

« Reply #19280 on: April 09, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
I would never in a million years know how to pronounce Aislin or Aisling.

I always though they were pronounced Ash-leen.

What puzzles me is Mick Jaggers grandaughter is called Ezra. I always thought that ws a male name lkie the prophet Ezra in the Bible.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19281 on: April 09, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »
Even innocent, ordinary names can turn on you.  This is one with which Harry Potter fans can sympathize.

The man's name was perfectly good but he was born 'Thomas Riddle'.  You can just imagine the problems he faces these days when he needs to produce ID.

There was also a boy with whom I went to grade school. The family's last name was 'Capone' and young John was having a few problems because 'The Untouchables' was a popular TV show at the time.  The family changed their last name to 'Dean'.  we never kept in touch but I always wondered what John Capone/Dean had to go through during the Watergate scandal. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #19282 on: April 09, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
Thipu1, that's nuts!

Luckily for John Dean, I bet these days it's not too often a problem, but in the '70s, who knows! His brother James/Jimmy (hypothetically speaking) would have it worse.

I knew a guy whose name was B___ James Bond. His brother went by his middle name, as was tradition (pretty common in our Southern community) but he didn't bother.  ;) He had enough trouble when people found out first & middle initials, at least in middle school. It's not like his parents had never heard of the books/movies -- A View to a Kill came out right around when were born.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19283 on: April 14, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
I think I've mentioned this before, but someone I know named their child Michael Scott LastName. I mentioned this to a friend and she started to snicker and said, "Oh, poor kid!" I didn't get it--I found the name a bit dull, but hardly snicker-worthy. Finally she said, "Like Michael Scott on The Office!" At that point I just rolled my eyes and was like, "I doubt any of his elementary school classmates, 8 to 10 years from now, are going to be watching The Office and thus associate it with him."

If it's a common name combination, odds are you will find some famous-ish character with it. If we made all of those taboo there would be very few left, and we'd all be inflicting Azariah and Leeim on our children...
~Lynn2000

Frog24

« Reply #19284 on: April 14, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
I know a couple (very distant relatives) who named their sons Halen (because they liked Van Halen), and Beckett Thomas.  When I heard of the younger boy's name, I said: "Oh, like Thomas a Beckett, Archbishop of Canterbury?!"  I received a great many blank stares.  I guess I was the only history buff in the room.   :-[

Frog24

« Reply #19285 on: April 14, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »
Saw these today:

Siblings?

I assume so... It was a picture of great grandparents and their g.grandkids.  Some of the kids were dressed similarly, so I don't know if they were all siblings, or some were cousins.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #19286 on: April 14, 2015, 07:31:04 PM »
I know a couple (very distant relatives) who named their sons Halen (because they liked Van Halen), and Beckett Thomas.  When I heard of the younger boy's name, I said: "Oh, like Thomas a Beckett, Archbishop of Canterbury?!"  I received a great many blank stares.  I guess I was the only history buff in the room.   :-[

I would have made the reference too, so don't feel bad.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #19287 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »

Don't know if they were trying for it but Aniyah is a legit Arabic/Muslim name.

Catananche

« Reply #19288 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:12 PM »

Don't know if they were trying for it but Aniyah is a legit Arabic/Muslim name.

I didn't know that. Is it pronounced ah-KNEE-yah or some other way?
While no trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, thousands of pixels were inconvenienced

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #19289 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:07 PM »

I would have made the reference too, so don't feel bad.

Me too.  That's immediately who I thought of.
"After all this time?"
"Always."