Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 54936 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1140 on: December 14, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
I'm moving well!  1st (of 4) load of laundry is in the dryer, 2nd is in the washer.  5 batches of bread are on the rise.  1 will be made into chelsea buns, 1 will be made into rolls and the other 3 will be 6 loaves of bread - 2 whole wheat, 4 raisin.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1141 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
I managed to get everything done but the pies.  They won't take long, though, so I'll do them - and the kitchen clean-up - tomorrow.

I'll think about doing Christmas cards tomorrow, too.  I've only been given one card so far so I don't know whether or not to bother.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1142 on: December 14, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
This weekend we have: cleaned our house due to having my IL's over for a mini-Christmas tomorrow evening, put up our Christmas tree and decorations, and wrapped/bagged most of our presents.  We also did all of our Christmas cards, so those just need to be stamped and mailed out. We got two of the four boxes that need to be mailed out of state ready to go, decided on little presents for my cousins and had people over to watch football.  I am exhausted, and yet I still need to do laundry!

Snooks

« Reply #1143 on: December 15, 2014, 05:22:39 AM »
More sewing, I now have a very sore finger from pushing needles through material which did not want to be sewn.

catwhiskers

« Reply #1144 on: December 15, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »
Feeling stupidly proud of myself for making the first of the custom storage containers I've designed to help keep the insides of my kitchen cupboards in order. (I was horrified by finding out of date items so I want to make rotation of supplies easier so it doesn't happen again). I haven't done any DIY for ages so it feels like a really big deal.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1145 on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
This was a day - I'm knackered.

I booked the day off so I could do my Christmas shopping and do my volunteering at Christmas Cheer.

Up at 8, out the door by 9.  Off to Bed, Bath and Beyond, followed by Cabelas, Storage Solutions (unplanned), Costco, MEC (like REI), Marks and the grocery store.  Home by 12, quick lunch and back out to volunteer, sorting food.  Grabbed gas on the way home.  Not only am I done my own shopping but I also did some for my Dad and possibly for my brother.

I did realize that I forgot a couple of things at the grocery store that I need for next week's potluck dish so I will have to do another grocery store run before Monday.

Left to do by Christmas:  roll out pies, make bread crumbs, put together the herbs for the dressing, wrap presents and knit, knit, knit.  I have a bunch of hats still to do - 4 that have to be done by the 23rd and another 4 by the end of Boxing Day.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1146 on: December 17, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »
I had an eye appointment today and they put in the drops to enlarge my pupils so knitting was pretty much out.  But I did get all my gifts wrapped!
Ontario

Octavia

« Reply #1147 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Finally got all of the holiday cards written and put into the mail. I was feeling guilty after not sending cards last year, even though I had a good excuse in moving houses and changing jobs. Feels good to get caught up!
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1148 on: December 18, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
I got my Christmas cards done tonight!  I resorted to the dreaded Christmas letter but I hand addressed and signed them all.

And at work today, I dropped an inspection report on my boss' desk for review.  And got organized to work on the next one.  3 more that I'd like to finish before the end of the year.

Hit The Beer Store and the grocery store on the way home.  I shouldn't need to shop again until after Christmas.
Ontario

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #1149 on: Yesterday at 05:56:27 AM »
Tonight I baked 4 dozen fruit mince tarts. Now we're spoiled and I'll never be able to buy them again. The filling is slightly tart but still sweet and the pastry is extremely short. They are absolutely delicious.

Victoria

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1150 on: Yesterday at 08:27:18 AM »
Tonight I baked 4 dozen fruit mince tarts. Now we're spoiled and I'll never be able to buy them again. The filling is slightly tart but still sweet and the pastry is extremely short. They are absolutely delicious.

If you want to try an easier method (I saw your picture in another thread), we do mincemeat 'rolls'.  We cut out a large circle of pastry - the cutter is a lid off an old canister set.  Then we put a good sized dollop of mincemeat in the middle, roll up the pastry around it and pinch off the ends to keep the mincemeat inside.  It's a higher ratio of pastry to mincemeat than traditional tarts but they're much less fiddly.  We freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet, unbaked, and pack them into containers once they're frozen.  They stay frozen until we're ready to bake them.
Ontario