News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2017, 04:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 3816861 times)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25410 on: Yesterday at 09:34:14 AM »
People in neighboring houses setting off very noisy fireworks.

We have six very terrified animals. Even the sixty pound poodle, who's too dumb to be scared of anything, is Very Not Happy because the fireworks are so close.

The "Fourth of July" started around June 20 this year; if past years are any indicator, the celebration should end around July 15. The local fire department has been very active in the last week, especially on the weekend. I'm sure that the local hospital emergency departments are thrilled at this time of year, too.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Shalamar

« Reply #25411 on: Yesterday at 10:19:08 AM »
When a restaurant menu doesn't describe a dish when the recipe is not the "norm"

When my husband and I were visiting his parents for lunch one day, MIL announced "We're having tuna melts on bagels."   I love those, so I was happily looking forward to lunch.  I took a bite and said in dismay "Is there hardboiled egg in the tuna?"  "Of COURSE," said my MIL, as though it was the dumbest question ever.   

Maybe putting hardboiled egg in tuna salad is the norm, and I just don't know it.  The thing of it is - I hate eggs, and she knows that.  Regardless, if I had a dollar for every time she's tried to serve me eggs anyway, I could retire early!

Cleargleam

« Reply #25412 on: Yesterday at 11:43:31 AM »
When your boss articulates a dress code but doesn't respect the staff enough to call out an employee who consistently refuses to meet it.

:/

turtleIScream

« Reply #25413 on: Yesterday at 01:51:41 PM »
Online job assessments.

I am helping my daughter navigate the process of applying for a part-time job. Several times, she's had to answer multiple choice questions about how she would handle a specific scenario. Not once is there an option to say, "How my manager trained me to respond." How is she supposed to guess a specific store's policy regarding returns/suspected shoplifting/mislabeled merchandise? Are these stupid questions supposed to indicate that if she got hired, there would be NO training at all?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Hillia

« Reply #25414 on: Yesterday at 03:03:38 PM »
Online job assessments.

I am helping my daughter navigate the process of applying for a part-time job. Several times, she's had to answer multiple choice questions about how she would handle a specific scenario. Not once is there an option to say, "How my manager trained me to respond." How is she supposed to guess a specific store's policy regarding returns/suspected shoplifting/mislabeled merchandise? Are these stupid questions supposed to indicate that if she got hired, there would be NO training at all?

No, they're trying to gauge her common sense.  If her response to "I see someone shoplifting" is "run scanning through the store and hide in the bathroom", that's not so great.  She might not answer in accordance with store policy, but is  the answer something that a person with common sense would do?  How will she handle a situation that she hasn't been specifically trained on?  Will she need her hand held constantly, or can she think for herself?

AustenFan

« Reply #25415 on: Yesterday at 05:35:15 PM »
Online job assessments.

No, they're trying to gauge her common sense.  If her response to "I see someone shoplifting" is "run scanning through the store and hide in the bathroom", that's not so great.  She might not answer in accordance with store policy, but is  the answer something that a person with common sense would do?  How will she handle a situation that she hasn't been specifically trained on?  Will she need her hand held constantly, or can she think for herself?

Yes, those are usually more about your thought process and problem solving ability than having the "right" answer. It's easy to train someone on procedures, much harder to instill initiative and critical thinking skills.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25416 on: Yesterday at 07:37:29 PM »
Online job assessments.

Yes, those are usually more about your thought process and problem solving ability than having the "right" answer. It's easy to train someone on procedures, much harder to instill initiative and critical thinking skills.

At the Ask a Manager site, I've read about some of these systems where there *is* a wrong answer (not necessarily obviously wrong) and it will blackball you in the application process.