News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 14, 2016, 05:17:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blessings in Disguise  (Read 4135 times)

furrcats

Re: Blessings in Disguise
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
My floor in my new home was installed wrong I ended up with an even better floor :D

Katharos

• I licked a lobster for luck
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
The company I work for used to do travel and entertainment type things. They were selling tickets for Wicked in NYC and I bought 2. Because my department handled check deposits, I thought I'd see my check and be able to transfer the money to cover it. Turns out the travel department had their own people who did it so I bounced the check /:

The blessing? A couple of weeks later, my college had a deal for $150 a person, you'd be bussed up to NYC, stay the night at the Westin at Times Square, and see the matinee of Wicked. It was a little more money but a much better deal!

Because we stayed over night, we got to a Russian movie that probably wouldn't have hit our area and we got to do the Behind the Emerald Curtain tour before our matinee.

heartmug

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
I have a relative, married couple, that I adore.  "A" & "B" are fun to be around but evidently that only goes one way.  I would see on social media that they were in town but they would ignore my texts.  No getting together or even letting me know they were in town.  It depressed me so much!  Last January my hubby had it.  He had me sit down and write a list of all we did and didn't do together.  Then, there in black and white, I realized that the very few times we got together I initiated it, or I drove to where they were, or when we met up at a restaurant they were always late.  Signs of me being their obligation instead of a joy.  So we did a experiment.  I did no contacting whatsoever last year.  Nothing from them but a Christmas card with just their names signed to it.

The blessing?  I had a neighbor down the street asking me to coffee, to go to the movies, etc.   and I was always too busy.  I quit ignoring her and took her up on an invite.  Now I have a great friend close by!  She really is a gem and we have so much fun together.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

gmatoy

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 09:39:03 PM »
I have a relative, married couple, that I adore.  "A" & "B" are fun to be around but evidently that only goes one way.  I would see on social media that they were in town but they would ignore my texts.  No getting together or even letting me know they were in town.  It depressed me so much!  Last January my hubby had it.  He had me sit down and write a list of all we did and didn't do together.  Then, there in black and white, I realized that the very few times we got together I initiated it, or I drove to where they were, or when we met up at a restaurant they were always late.  Signs of me being their obligation instead of a joy.  So we did a experiment.  I did no contacting whatsoever last year.  Nothing from them but a Christmas card with just their names signed to it.

The blessing?  I had a neighbor down the street asking me to coffee, to go to the movies, etc.   and I was always too busy.  I quit ignoring her and took her up on an invite.  Now I have a great friend close by!  She really is a gem and we have so much fun together.

So glad that you found a friend! Friends really are blessings!

bopper

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »
One time we ordered a sofa for our new apt.  After 8 week, if you don't get the item, they give you the choice of cancelling the order or waiting more.  So we went back to the store, look at what we had ordered, said "What were we thinking?" and ordered something different that they had in stock.

rachellenore

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
I had basically been looking for a new job for the previous year with no luck. I had even gone as far to apply to Burger King and still not get a call back. I was pretty devastated. Then on a whim my husband told me to just try applying to the new outdoor sporting goods store that had opened near our house, I didn't think I'd get the job since I didn't really know anything about the stuff they sold.

Turns out they were looking for a new operations person, and I had cash office experience and that's exactly what they wanted. So now I'm not working a fast food job, I actually enjoy my job and am learning new skills both career-wise and hobby-wise, and I'm not surrounded by a bunch of people who hate their jobs anymore so I actually have good coworkers now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:55:12 PM by cass2591 »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
^ That's awesome.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario