News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 05:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interview question - any ideas?  (Read 590 times)

shadowfox79

Interview question - any ideas?
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:27:55 AM »
Just a quick one. I'm applying for a promotion at work, and one of the job descriptors is "able to deal with complex queries" from clients.

I'm sure I do deal with them, but I want to make sure I'm tackling this correctly, as it's certain to come up in the interview.

What would you consider a complex query? One which required looking into the notes (as opposed to just "What's your phone number?")? One which had more than one part to it? Or something else?

figee

Re: Interview question - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:37 AM »
Surely that depends on the job?  But for me a complex inquiry would involve not just looking at notes, but doing some further research, potentially liaising with other employees, gathering information, providing a series of scenarios or alternatives for the customer, guiding them through and the maybe following up later.

Gladly

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:45:53 AM »
I agree.  I would say a complex query is one that you can't answer yourself, it would involve gathering information from various different departments/other organisations/colleagues, collating all the information you receive and working out if this is what you need to answer the question(s).  If not, follow up with the other areas until you can complete the query. Then following up with the client to make sure that they are satisfied.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:07 AM »
I think this calls for you to think back to a time when you faced a question that took more than one step to answer it, and how thoroughly you did so, and why you're suited to such work in the future.
I can spend days or weeks doing research; filing motions; consulting experts, colleagues and witnesses; reviewing evidence; negotiating or arguing; and writing briefs in response to what sounds like a simple question (e.g., "Did this really happen?"). Your mileage may vary.

jpcher

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
I agree with #borecore and would speak from experience.

Think of the most complex queries that you have had (you said that you've handled them) and explain the steps you took, questions you asked, problems you ran into and how you solved them, etc. and finish off by saying "the customer was very pleased with the results."

If the interviewer gives you a hypothetical query you can still draw from your own experience: "I've dealt with similar situations and this is how I handled it. In this case I would do X instead of Y" or some such thing.

Letting the interviewer know that you have successfully dealt with complex queries in the past shows them that you are capable and meet the requirements.

Good Luck!

shadowfox79

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

The job in question is as a debt advisor on the phone. I currently work as an advisor by email and post. Because we're not allocated specific clients - we take work as it comes in - we would either deal with queries in the moment or refer them to another team, but not do any follow-up ourselves. As a result, a lot of the usual things I might consider part of a complex query don't apply.

However, there have been queries where I've needed to search through old notes or call creditors before I could resolve the issue, and those sound like they fit.

I've also done what I probably should have done in the first place and asked my team leader, who had already told me to ask her if I had any questions about the application. She's going to check and get back to me.