Author Topic: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch  (Read 44129 times)

Xandraea

Re: Grammar and spellling that make you twitch
« Reply #675 on: Yesterday at 01:03:47 PM »
Yeah, I can't do "sweet" either. I went to a BBQ place here once and the only kind of tea they offered was "sweet". So, ok, I thought I'd try it. My teeth about fell out, it was so sweet. After about three sips I couldn't drink anymore.

I do put sweet n low in my tea, but you know, just a little bit.

Yep, I lived in the south for a couple years and I'd always have to specify "un-sweetened tea" to avoid the tea-flavoured corn syrup variety. Then I'd add my own sugar (real stuff only; my body doesn't recognize substitutes)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #676 on: Yesterday at 07:32:06 PM »
I always order unsweetened tea, with no lemon (since that is the default at most restaurants). I had to explain to someone at the wedding we attended this weekend that my son, who likes sweet tea, and tried the unlabeled tea in the carafe on the table then determined it was too sweet for him, than any sugar that looked at the tea will make it too sweet for my taste.

I hate 'whip cream' with a passion. We have several local restaurants with misspellings on their menus or menu boards. I always want to point it out.

Specky

« Reply #677 on: Yesterday at 08:00:45 PM »
Used to work with a nurse who would use abbreviations.  One of her favorites was when she would try to describe something as watery.  She tried to use the formula for water, H2O and add a "y" on the end, so she thought she was writing "H2Oy".   Instead, what she was writing was "H2O2y".  I would see this notation and think, hmm...  Hydrogen peroxide, so foamy?

Thru, nite, sox, slax, nocs, tix, and pix are among my twitch triggers.  Also worked with a nurse who argued with me that "thru" was the correct spelling and "through" was incorrect.  She was also the one who would say, "I saul it"  "We had went" or "I had went".  She also called babies "it" when speaking to the baby's parents.  Guess she was a twitch trigger, too.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:07:42 PM by Specky »