News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 01, 2015, 09:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 504188 times)

Stormtreader

Mommy Penguin, that's what I want to know, too. Do Giraff's even make a noise?

I was watching a Discovery special on giraffes, and it turns out giraffes do make noises, but they're subsonic, i.e. pitched too low for people to hear.  Very interesting. 

Google says:

" The vocalization of giraffes becomes more prevalent during the mating season. The males will make what appears to be similar to a human coughing in order to attract the attention of females.

I'm now imagining that all male giraffes are very polite and British.

Eddie Izzard did a bit on giraffes politely warning of danger through coughing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DMnthDaVpA

Betelnut

I actually had to tell my daycare provider--the person who spends 7-9 hours a day with my 9 year-old daughter--that it isn't a good idea to tell her that "swimming every day this summer will get you nice and skinny for the beginning of the school year."

She was shocked that body image problems are an issue for kids my daughter's age. "I thought that was for 16 year-olds." 

Please read more about child development and current issues lady!

Native Texan, Marylander currently

nuit93

I actually had to tell my daycare provider--the person who spends 7-9 hours a day with my 9 year-old daughter--that it isn't a good idea to tell her that "swimming every day this summer will get you nice and skinny for the beginning of the school year."

She was shocked that body image problems are an issue for kids my daughter's age. "I thought that was for 16 year-olds." 

Wow...regardless of the child's age, that's never an appropriate thing to say!

Katana_Geldar

This was not test, but the brainlessnes of this quality of question vs. wanted answer irritated me beyond any measure when I was child (maybe in elementary school). I had borrowed several "detective" books from library. Such that have those "here are the facts, now it's for you to deduct what happened, who is telling truth, who is not". And one had pictures, the question was something in the line "did Jack fall from the tree and break his arm or did John hit him". And the explanation was something like "Jack could not have been in the apple tree as he did not have resin in his shirts, as you can see from the picture." Picture in question was drawn, and such that it was mainly outlines, no shading, no coloring, more of a doodle of two guys and a tree. :D

Resin?  In an apple tree?  I climbed apple trees as a child, and I never had a problem with anything except ordinary dirt.  Resin is usually  pine sap.  John's defense attorney would easily get this case thrown out of court.

Yes, this is something I was thinking now as I wrote it too. Didn't catch it as kid. I'm also slightly wondering if I remember that part wront, it's been ~20 years after all, and if it talked only about dirt or something like that. Though I do have quite strong memory about it being resin. I have memory that in addition that I was thinking that such underdetailed picture wouldn't show a random spot on a shirt, I feel like I was thinking that it would also be very possible that he just didn't get any on his shirt, it's not like trees (definitely not apple trees as hindsight, but even those trees that generally might leave resing marks on you) are fully covered in it.

The real question is, if John broke his arm, why is he standing there instead of being rushed off to the hospital in an ambulance?  Of course, I also can't quite imagine a kid of roughly the same size hitting another kid in such as way as to break his arm.  Maybe twisting his arm behind his back, but hitting him?

Actually, it's fairy easy for a child to break a bone just after or during a growth spurt.  I think I broke something shortly after every large growth spurt I had...but I was one of those fearless daredevil children.   :P
I broke my arm when my older, heavier male cousin fell on me when we were playing tip. I was a loud, boisterous child too.
That question reminds me of the Encyclopedia Brown novels. The solution was just so strange that I wonder if they thought kids would get it.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!

This was not test, but the brainlessnes of this quality of question vs. wanted answer irritated me beyond any measure when I was child (maybe in elementary school). I had borrowed several "detective" books from library. Such that have those "here are the facts, now it's for you to deduct what happened, who is telling truth, who is not". And one had pictures, the question was something in the line "did Jack fall from the tree and break his arm or did John hit him". And the explanation was something like "Jack could not have been in the apple tree as he did not have resin in his shirts, as you can see from the picture." Picture in question was drawn, and such that it was mainly outlines, no shading, no coloring, more of a doodle of two guys and a tree. :D

Resin?  In an apple tree?  I climbed apple trees as a child, and I never had a problem with anything except ordinary dirt.  Resin is usually  pine sap.  John's defense attorney would easily get this case thrown out of court.

Yes, this is something I was thinking now as I wrote it too. Didn't catch it as kid. I'm also slightly wondering if I remember that part wront, it's been ~20 years after all, and if it talked only about dirt or something like that. Though I do have quite strong memory about it being resin. I have memory that in addition that I was thinking that such underdetailed picture wouldn't show a random spot on a shirt, I feel like I was thinking that it would also be very possible that he just didn't get any on his shirt, it's not like trees (definitely not apple trees as hindsight, but even those trees that generally might leave resing marks on you) are fully covered in it.

The real question is, if John broke his arm, why is he standing there instead of being rushed off to the hospital in an ambulance?  Of course, I also can't quite imagine a kid of roughly the same size hitting another kid in such as way as to break his arm.  Maybe twisting his arm behind his back, but hitting him?

Actually, it's fairy easy for a child to break a bone just after or during a growth spurt.  I think I broke something shortly after every large growth spurt I had...but I was one of those fearless daredevil children.   :P
I broke my arm when my older, heavier male cousin fell on me when we were playing tip. I was a loud, boisterous child too.
That question reminds me of the Encyclopedia Brown novels. The solution was just so strange that I wonder if they thought kids would get it.

I used to love Encyclopedia Brown. Now I look at them and it's blatantly obvious that for many of the mysteries, the author had a "solution" in mind and kinda-sorta cobbled a "mystery" around the supposed solution. So many of them boil down to "Wow, the thieves only left one clue: this not-all-that-hard word problem!" or "Here's the one and only actual detail given in the story, hint hint hint!"

Carotte

Right, there's a special thing that occurs right when you turn 16, it's not at all from the time people start telling you that you could get "nice and skinny", independently from your age.  ::)
As an underweight teen I never had a problem with my body but for those moments people would remark on my weight, once I filled up it was like they were still free to comment (because I was normal so it wasn't really telling me I was fat..).
Just, don't. Say someone looks great and leave it at that unless the person told you s/he looking for validation in loosing/gaining weight.

Betelnut

Right, there's a special thing that occurs right when you turn 16, it's not at all from the time people start telling you that you could get "nice and skinny", independently from your age.  ::)
As an underweight teen I never had a problem with my body but for those moments people would remark on my weight, once I filled up it was like they were still free to comment (because I was normal so it wasn't really telling me I was fat..).
Just, don't. Say someone looks great and leave it at that unless the person told you s/he looking for validation in loosing/gaining weight.

I know--my mind was boggling that she thought saying that was okay.  She also always says, "She's a good girl" even though I've told her that specific praise is much better than general Pollyanna praise.  Sigh.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Free Range Hippy Chick

This is me telling on me: yesterday I was given a food processor by one of my husband's friends who is changing to something more suitable for his particular kitchen. It's a good brand, and in excellent condition, not the newest or top of the range model, but decidedly better than I've ever bought for myself, so I'm a happy bunny.  ;D

Tried to use it at lunchtime - my plan was to use it on something that didn't matter much (coleslaw just for me) so that when I wanted to use it seriously for Major Cooking, it wouldn't be unfamiliar. And could I make it work? I could not.

When all else fails, ladies and gentlemen, read the instructions. Most processors won't work unless the lid is locked correctly in place, right? This one is no exception. I could not get it to lock. I tried it over and over, with this attachment in place, and that attachment in place. I thought that perhaps it was locked, so I checked the plug and the socket.

I lost my temper and made coleslaw with a knife.  >:(

It took two hours for it to occur to me that just because the lid on my last machine went on right to left didn't mean that this one had to... Tried left to right, lid slipped easily into place, blade went round and round...

Now I feel stupid.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
This is me telling on me: yesterday I was given a food processor by one of my husband's friends who is changing to something more suitable for his particular kitchen. It's a good brand, and in excellent condition, not the newest or top of the range model, but decidedly better than I've ever bought for myself, so I'm a happy bunny.  ;D

Tried to use it at lunchtime - my plan was to use it on something that didn't matter much (coleslaw just for me) so that when I wanted to use it seriously for Major Cooking, it wouldn't be unfamiliar. And could I make it work? I could not.

When all else fails, ladies and gentlemen, read the instructions. Most processors won't work unless the lid is locked correctly in place, right? This one is no exception. I could not get it to lock. I tried it over and over, with this attachment in place, and that attachment in place. I thought that perhaps it was locked, so I checked the plug and the socket.

I lost my temper and made coleslaw with a knife.  >:(

It took two hours for it to occur to me that just because the lid on my last machine went on right to left didn't mean that this one had to... Tried left to right, lid slipped easily into place, blade went round and round...

Now I feel stupid.

If it's any consolation to you, this was me a couple of weeks ago - I have a folding bike which (amongst other clips) has a clip to hold the handlebars upright and in place. It had always been a little prone to unclipping but I didn't think anything of it until I came out of work and found it wouldn't clip at all!

I ended up phoning for a lift to get me from work to Halfords where the fix was simply winding the clip up again. I hadn't realised it was a screw as well as a clip and in using the bike it had gradually been unwinding.

*facepalm*

Jocelyn

I know--my mind was boggling that she thought saying that was okay.  She also always says, "She's a good girl" even though I've told her that specific praise is much better than general Pollyanna praise.  Sigh.
And 'good girl' so often means 'the child intuited MY needs, and complied with them.'