News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 10:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6648271 times)

poundcake

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #32835 on: August 01, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »

An ex used to mock me for using "all those big words." Like "crass."

::)

I'm guessing the people mocking us for our "big words" have no problem with "internet," "Schwarzenegger," "linebacker," and "fermentation."

You mean that thing you, personally, are accessing now, the past governor of California, that guy making 12 million a year, and how you get a lovely pinot noir?

Stereotyping is not cool, dude.

I'm not sure where you got stereotyping out of poundcake's comment. It was that people mocking them for "big words" use equally big words every day but don't think they're a problem because it's words they're familiar with. The point wasn't that they don't know those words but that they do.

Exactly my point. The same people who have disparaged my vocabulary and claim "big words" are "snobby" can certainly manage polysyllabic words under a number of circumstances.

And I can't recall the last time I ever heard anyone make fun of anyone else for using "such short words" out of some misguided value system, either. 

wheeitsme

« Reply #32836 on: August 01, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »

An ex used to mock me for using "all those big words." Like "crass."

::)

I'm guessing the people mocking us for our "big words" have no problem with "internet," "Schwarzenegger," "linebacker," and "fermentation."

You mean that thing you, personally, are accessing now, the past governor of California, that guy making 12 million a year, and how you get a lovely pinot noir?

Stereotyping is not cool, dude.

I'm not sure where you got stereotyping out of poundcake's comment. It was that people mocking them for "big words" use equally big words every day but don't think they're a problem because it's words they're familiar with. The point wasn't that they don't know those words but that they do.

Exactly my point. The same people who have disparaged my vocabulary and claim "big words" are "snobby" can certainly manage polysyllabic words under a number of circumstances.

And I can't recall the last time I ever heard anyone make fun of anyone else for using "such short words" out of some misguided value system, either.

I'm sorry.  It just seemed that you chose polysyllabic words (love the word!) that disparaged a certain "type" of person.  The Internets, Action flicks, (American)Football, and beer. It tends to fit a certain American stereotype.  Again, if that wasn't what you were going for, I am very sorry. I know several erudite and interesting people that have been on the fuzzy end of that stereotype lollipop, and it seems I might be a little over sensitive.

Hillia

« Reply #32837 on: August 01, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I nominate the couple at the concert last night.  Popular singer, his shows are known for being high energy.  So in the small, crowded venue, most of the crowd was bopping along to the music - all within their own little 'bubbles' of space, everyone having a good time.  Except Mr. and Ms. Lookatme, who managed to push the crowd away from them for several feet in each direction as they carried on as though they were in their own private dancehall - jumping around, lots of twirling and jumping and big 'moves'.  I've had this happen before and it makes me crazy.  If we were outside on the beach, or in a field, where people could move away but still be fairly close to the stage, I might be less irritated.  But these two took up as much space as 4 people because they just had to perform.  Not to mention that it was distracting as all getout, when I'm trying to watch some really talented instrumental work and these knuckleheads are bobbing and weaving all over the place.

Runner up to the two women who decided that a live concert was the best place to have a long complicated conversation about the TPS reports that Bob produced at Jim's meeting, or something, and gave everyone around them the stinkeye when we yelled back at the performers or sang along.

This is why I never go to live concerts, except for this one performer.  It's a tribute to how much I like him that I put up with being smashed in crowds and subjected to boneheadedness like this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Diane AKA Traska

• Super Hero!
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #32838 on: August 01, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »
I nominate the couple at the concert last night.  Popular singer, his shows are known for being high energy.  So in the small, crowded venue, most of the crowd was bopping along to the music - all within their own little 'bubbles' of space, everyone having a good time.  Except Mr. and Ms. Lookatme, who managed to push the crowd away from them for several feet in each direction as they carried on as though they were in their own private dancehall - jumping around, lots of twirling and jumping and big 'moves'.  I've had this happen before and it makes me crazy.  If we were outside on the beach, or in a field, where people could move away but still be fairly close to the stage, I might be less irritated.  But these two took up as much space as 4 people because they just had to perform.  Not to mention that it was distracting as all getout, when I'm trying to watch some really talented instrumental work and these knuckleheads are bobbing and weaving all over the place.

Runner up to the two women who decided that a live concert was the best place to have a long complicated conversation about the TPS reports that Bob produced at Jim's meeting, or something, and gave everyone around them the stinkeye when we yelled back at the performers or sang along.

This is why I never go to live concerts, except for this one performer.  It's a tribute to how much I like him that I put up with being smashed in crowds and subjected to boneheadedness like this.

Your description sounds like a Weird Al concert...I'd make an exception for him, too!

poundcake

« Reply #32839 on: Yesterday at 05:15:28 AM »
I'm sorry.  It just seemed that you chose polysyllabic words (love the word!) that disparaged a certain "type" of person.  The Internets, Action flicks, (American)Football, and beer. It tends to fit a certain American stereotype.  Again, if that wasn't what you were going for, I am very sorry. I know several erudite and interesting people that have been on the fuzzy end of that stereotype lollipop, and it seems I might be a little over sensitive.

Well, I DID pick "big words" related to the non-"snobby" "real American" stuff that my family promotes while making fun of "all [my] books" on purpose, but the purpose wasn't to disparage any "type" of person... except for the ones who think that anything outside of their experience is snobby or stupid. Because yeah, no academic has ever knocked back a beer or two, either, right?!