Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1171515 times)

Eeep!

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6225 on: Yesterday at 12:55:22 PM »
Husband went to a newly opened burrito 'bar' near his work, thinking it might be nice to be able to get something spicy for his lunch every now and then.
Nope.
He gets a full hour for lunch, and went a little later, thinking he might miss the rush. So around 2PM he walked in, and asked for a beef burrito with his preferred toppings and waited.
Waited.
Waited some more.
Went up to the counter after 20 minutes with his ticket and asked how long until his burrito would be ready - and the cashier told him that the chef had cleaned the grill and sorry, he couldn't have one now - come back after 5PM when they start serving dinner.
He got his money back and told his story to his entire department - and doesn't expect the place to last long if they clean their grill at 2PM, considering that they're adjacent to a university campus!

What!!  I usually don't even take lunch until about 130 or 2pm.  what shortsightedness

What I like is how they took his order (and presumably his money) and then never bothered to tell him they weren't going to make his food.

That was my thought, too!

Seriously.  That is just so bizarre.  Like he could have been waiting there until 5:00?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6226 on: Yesterday at 04:12:11 PM »
Wow - near a campus and they close for three hours? 

Seriously, huge misstep because there is so much potential for sales of a quick snacks being sold to students on their way from one place to another on campus who don't have much time to get to work, get to the library, get to the cafeteria for a couple of hours, just left a gym class & are starving, or are just at an age where they get hungry often.

Not to mention teachers with a short break for a meal & are running a bit later than the traditional 11 am to 1:00 or so "lunch break" time frame...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lindee

« Reply #6227 on: Yesterday at 05:11:40 PM »
I went to the optician's and they prescribed reading glasses for my newly acquired inability to see the computer screen clearly. Since I didn't care how fashionable they were I tried to choose the cheapest frames but although I have extra's insurance cover it was still quite expensive. After about three weeks I went in to find out how much longer they would be but they were in and they hadn't rung me. Okaaay.  Maybe it was the same person who wrote a different appointment date on my card to the one she entered into their calendar so it looked like I was a no show?  I caught her almost doing it again and she giggled and said she got confused about which week she had open.   I was asked to go back a month later and was only then told I needed to go and get urgent cataract surgery on my right eye, so then once that was done of course my new glasses were no good and I had to return and pay extra to get a new right lens made. Can't help feeling this was a bit of a cash grab to make the glasses first and then tell me I needed surgery but moving on....

I asked how long it would take just in case they forgot to ring me again and was told that would of course never happen but they would rush the order through in a couple of days for me.  A week later I called in but no sign of my order or glasses, she would find out and ring me.  I rang the next afternoon since I hadn't heard back and once again was told she would find out. This time she actually rang me. Apparently "somebody" didn't know how to put a rush order through so they didn't do anything.  This would now be done and it would be back by Thursday and they would ring me.  Friday I went by and the lens had arrived (but no call) unfortunately it didn't fit the glasses! No problem, she would send it off to nearby shop and it would be trimmed and back on Monday. Today (Wednesday) I was doing my food shopping so I called in as they hadn't phoned.  Yes, it is now back but they had put the wrong lens in !!!  They will now courier it over to the technician and it will be back tomorrow evening. I'm not holding my breath.

There are many other opticians in the area so once I ever get my glasses I will not be back.

I picked up my glasses on Friday, but they don't appear to be right, the new lens doesn't aid my eye at all. I have an appointment on Tuesday to see what is going on as the optician isn't there till then.

Rockie

« Reply #6228 on: Yesterday at 08:49:10 PM »
Couple of cousins came to visit, so we were taking them out for dinner at a place known for its soup dumplings. My cousins stopped in a store to look at SIM cards (my dad stayed with them since they couldn't call anyone), so my mom and I went in first, and she asked the hostess if we could sit and order first. Hostess kept asking where the rest of our party was (she even looked outside when my mom said they were coming) and saying we could not sit down and order unless at least 3/5 people in our party was present. Mom told her we just wanted to order and they'd be there soon, but she insisted it was restaurant policy, so we just left and ate elsewhere. Fortunately at the restaurant we ended up at, the staff was friendly, we were seated right away, food came out fast, and it was good (even if it didn't have the soup dumplings I was hoping for).

I don't know if such a policy is common somewhere (first time I've encountered it), but it left enough of a bad taste in my mouth that I don't think I'd go back there. Luckily there's other restaurants in the area with similar menus.

Hillia

« Reply #6229 on: Yesterday at 11:49:30 PM »
Couple of cousins came to visit, so we were taking them out for dinner at a place known for its soup dumplings. My cousins stopped in a store to look at SIM cards (my dad stayed with them since they couldn't call anyone), so my mom and I went in first, and she asked the hostess if we could sit and order first. Hostess kept asking where the rest of our party was (she even looked outside when my mom said they were coming) and saying we could not sit down and order unless at least 3/5 people in our party was present. Mom told her we just wanted to order and they'd be there soon, but she insisted it was restaurant policy, so we just left and ate elsewhere. Fortunately at the restaurant we ended up at, the staff was friendly, we were seated right away, food came out fast, and it was good (even if it didn't have the soup dumplings I was hoping for).

I don't know if such a policy is common somewhere (first time I've encountered it), but it left enough of a bad taste in my mouth that I don't think I'd go back there. Luckily there's other restaurants in the area with similar menus.

Actually this is pretty common at popular restaurants; I'm surprised that they'd seat you with 3/5 of your party there.  Most places I've seen with this policy require the entire party to be present.  They don't want 1 or 2 people sitting at a table for six, sipping soda and repeating 'Oh, they'll be here in a minute...I swear...i don't know what's keeping them...they just texted me...' and in the mean time, the table isn't earning any money while paying customers are waiting at the door, and perhaps leaving because there's no where to sit.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jocelyn

« Reply #6230 on: Today at 10:56:27 AM »

Seriously, huge misstep because there is so much potential for sales of a quick snacks being sold to students on their way from one place to another on campus who don't have much time to get to work, get to the library, get to the cafeteria for a couple of hours, just left a gym class & are starving, or are just at an age where they get hungry often.

Not to mention teachers with a short break for a meal & are running a bit later than the traditional 11 am to 1:00 or so "lunch break" time frame...
POD that. I teach from 8-11 and 12:30 to 2:00 on T-R. Usually, I'm hungry enough to want an early lunch, but if I don't get it, it'd be 2 by the time I'd get a chance to have some. This happens often enough in our department, that someone doesn't get lunch until after 2. If this happens to the faculty, I'm sure it happens to many more students. At least my chair doesn't schedule people for back-to-back classes between 11 and 1, but I know there are students who have to take back to back classes during those times.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6231 on: Today at 03:14:47 PM »

POD that. I teach from 8-11 and 12:30 to 2:00 on T-R. Usually, I'm hungry enough to want an early lunch, but if I don't get it, it'd be 2 by the time I'd get a chance to have some. This happens often enough in our department, that someone doesn't get lunch until after 2. If this happens to the faculty, I'm sure it happens to many more students. At least my chair doesn't schedule people for back-to-back classes between 11 and 1, but I know there are students who have to take back to back classes during those times.

Reminds me of the Pretty Woman scene where Julia Roberts comes back to tell the salesperson, "Big mistake, really big mistake, huge..."

But my own bet is that the place either shuts down because they aren't making money or the owner/manager gets told that the place is loosing business big time by shutting down between 2 & 5 pm.

The Chinese restaurant that I worked in my senior year shut down to one waitress (who knew how to mix the drinks), one or two cooks, and really minimal staff after the lunch rush ended about 1:30 (it took a few minutes for us to clean up and set the tables up for the dinner rush starting after 5 - but the majority of us were "off" for about three hours every day, depending on how long it took us to drive between work & home & back for the evening shift. 

There weren't enough people using tables for a full shift of workers, but there would be people in the bar for a late "business lunch" or an early "business dinner" who didn't want to be there when it was crowded.  It would have some business every day when the rest of us came back to clock in & open the main dining room.  I wasn't a bartender - so I have no idea how busy that three hour shift was...but the place was rarely completely empty if it was open.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6232 on: Today at 03:25:34 PM »
I just had an experience that I realize made me unreasonably angry, but it's enough to make me not ever want to go back to this place.

There's a bagel place that I went to once years ago with my husband, because he liked it, but I've never been back because I didn't think their bagels were very good. This morning, I was really itching for a bagel, so I decided to try it one more time. Because it's not the nicest place to hang out and I also wanted coffee, my plan was to eat my bagel and then go to a coffee shop I really like across the street.

First, they had a $4 credit card minimum and I didn't have any cash (that one is on me, especially since it's not uncommon for places like this to have a card minimum). I bought just a regular coffee to go with my bagel.

Then I found a place to sit, because it was really busy and it looked like I'd have to wait awhile. The coffee was pretty awful and they only had non-dairy half-and-half (no actual milk) to put in it, but it wasn't that expensive so I just drank it anyway.

Then I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Just about everyone who was in the restaurant when I came in had left by the time they called out the bagel I had ordered. And then someone else (who I'm sure had ordered the same thing) got to the counter before I did and took it. I wasn't paying close enough attention to know if he came in before or after me, but I'm guessing after (since the person who was sitting with him didn't get any food for the rest of the time I was there).

I went up to the counter and said that I'd ordered what the person just took (and commented that I didn't know if that was it), and asked how much longer it was going to be. I said I'd been waiting 10 or 15 minutes already (although after thinking about it more after the interaction, it was probably more like 30 minutes), and the person's response was that there were 11 orders in front of mine. I said I'd been there long enough for the entire place to turn over, and she still just insisted that they were really busy. No, "sorry about the wait," no, "let me push your really easy toasted-bagel-with-cream-cheese up in the list a bit because you likely should have gotten your order already." Just an implied "go away, I'm busy".

By the time I actually got my order, I was so frustrated at the whole thing that I was about to ask for a refund. Instead, I took the bagel and left, and didn't get to go to the coffee shop I like, and just ended up going straight home.

The bagel itself is okay, but not worth the 45 minute wait in an uncomfortable restaurant. So I won't be going back there any time soon. I can get bagels just as good at the grocery store.

HorseFreak

« Reply #6233 on: Today at 03:42:18 PM »
I had a wing place do something similar to the bagel shop when I went to lunch with some coworkers. This place had a weekly wing special that was extremely popular, so we were sure to get there and order 15 minutes before the rush. All my coworkers had their burgers for 10 minutes and I hadn't gotten my catfish sandwich. I went to the counter and asked about it only to overhear the cook snarl that I would have to wait for the wings to finish before she would get around to my sandwich that I had ordered 30 minutes before. The counter person was polite, but I didn't have time to get more food if I got a refund so I waited some more. The first large group that came for the wings finished their food and left by the time I got my sandwich as dropping a piece of fish in the fryer and placing lettuce and tomato on a roll is so taxing.

In all it was 45 minutes. I wrote a Yelp review and it was hidden for not being factual enough (the other reviews were all raves about the wings). I never went back and I moved within a year.

ETA: Apparently the restaurant closed not long after! Shocking...
« Last Edit: Today at 03:45:55 PM by HorseFreak »