Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 53826 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
We're doing a whole pig for DS's Eagle Scout Court of Honor in the spring. Thanks for reminding me of the two things I had forgotten. (how are we going to move a 100 lb pig and do we need to store it?)

Make sure the tub drain is open. Wedge open if it is a push in type.

Buy a plastic sheet, the kind used as a drop cloth for painting.
Line tub with the sheet, making sure there is enough to overlap the pig after. We tied the ends loosely to the shower head and curtain rod - looked like something from a horror movie.

Put pig in tub. Fill cavity of pig with ice and cover with ice. It takes about 12 bags.
Wrap rest of plastic over pig.

When we did this, there was still plenty of ice in the tub in the morning and the cavity still had ice in it, so no worries at all on temperature.

You may want a second plastic sheet for the wheelbarrow - it's not really feasible to lift the pig using the sheet - very drippy and ice cubes everywhere!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The current plan is to pick it up from the butcher at 9AM, drive it an hour, covered in ice, and then put it right in the roaster for an early afternoon feast. I do think tarps and plastic sheeting will be necessary. Link to the roaster we are using is below.

http://www.lacajachina.com/Pig-Roast-p/lcc-g101.htm

GreenHall

Otterbox looks like it is making my list.  I got an iPhone 5 months ago. Knowing my propensity to dropping things, I immediately bought an Otterbox case.  I knew I wanted more than just decorative, and the personal and web testimonials were good.

For the first few months I obsessively checked the phone when I had an oops moment- case protected it well, and I eventually lessened my concern. Sometime over Labor Day weekend I apparently dropped the phone (in case) and did not obsessively check it over.  Tuesday I noticed the case was cracked across the back.  But the phone is fine, which is the point of the case. 

In looking for another case (a cracked case does not make me less clumsy), I found that Otterbox has a 1 year warranty.  So I submitted pictures and a case (very easy to do from my mobile device), and less than six hours later there is a case notice that they are sending a replacement.  Yay!

The ease of making the claim and it being approved is also even more impressive, since I bought the case from amazon, not Otterbox direct to start with. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I love my Otterbox, and when we replace my husband's phone, he's getting (and USING) one whether he likes it or not!

I just wish I liked the case they make for my model tablet - I really want one that doesn't have the screen protector built in, but it looks like theirs does.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GreenHall

After the stellar service on the replacement for the phone, I went to look at their tablet cases, and yah, that seems more case than I want. 

(I use the commuter case, because the defender, with screen shield just seemed like it would be so bulky).

EveLGenius

Our local JB Robinson jeweler.  I have a watch that I desperately love.  It's not a fancy expensive watch, but it's so amazingly me-oriented that I can't bear the thought of losing it.  However, it eats batteries at the rate of about one a year.  I can buy batteries at the local grocery store, and I can easily pry the back off to replace the battery, but I can't get the back of the watch replaced without breaking the face crystal.  I had a local watchmaker replace the face crystal, and took the watch to him regularly until he went out of business.  Then I tried JB Robinson, because they were in the mall and convenient.

Well, they sold me a watch battery, put it in the watch, and told me that I could pay a little more for a lifetime replacement guarantee on the battery.  I did.  Ever since then (at least 6 years), they have replaced my watch battery whenever it dies, without any kind of complaint, upsell, or statement that this has gone on too long.  Frankly, I'd be willing to pay them for another "lifetime guarantee," because I think they've done more than anyone could have asked.

I wish I liked gemstone jewelry.  If I did, I'd absolutely buy it from them.

magician5

I've been trying for a while to get exactly the right yarn for a cardigan I'm planning to knit for a friend.  I ordered some Malabrigo from tangledyarn.co.uk, only when it arrived I realised my screen had misled me - the colour was too dark.  I contacted the company and they were happy to exchange for a lighter colour.  Well.  The first re-sent package did not arrive... I contacted them again, and they said they would send another package.  Eventually, one of the packages of replacement yarn got to me - and when I emailed to let them know, it turned out that the other package had made its way back home.

The person I dealt with was friendly and helpful throughout, and so when I decided to get myself some tiny-gauge circular needles for socks, I went straight back to Tangled Yarn.  And when I opened the needles, could have kicked myself for failing to order *long* ones... I'd asked for 60cms which aren't adequate for the Magic Loop method.  But they are replacing them with no problems and not a hint of reproach!

Perhaps next time I will manage to order something that doesn't need to be exchanged...

Don't know if I should believe that story of yours ... it's quite some yarn!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
The current plan is to pick it up from the butcher at 9AM, drive it an hour, covered in ice, and then put it right in the roaster for an early afternoon feast. I do think tarps and plastic sheeting will be necessary. Link to the roaster we are using is below.

http://www.lacajachina.com/Pig-Roast-p/lcc-g101.htm

You may want to check with your butcher on the timings.
It will take an hour to heat the coals and get the pig on the spit. That would mean cooking starts at 11 am.
Suggested cooking time on an open rotisserie is 1 hour for every 10 pounds. So you have 8 -10 hours of cook time.
Our pig was 120lb and went on at 7:00 am. It was ready at 6 pm.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
In the box we are using, it takes 4 hours of cooking time for a 100lb pig, so I'll plan more for dinner time. Thanks!

mmswm

Otterbox looks like it is making my list.  I got an iPhone 5 months ago. Knowing my propensity to dropping things, I immediately bought an Otterbox case.  I knew I wanted more than just decorative, and the personal and web testimonials were good.

For the first few months I obsessively checked the phone when I had an oops moment- case protected it well, and I eventually lessened my concern. Sometime over Labor Day weekend I apparently dropped the phone (in case) and did not obsessively check it over.  Tuesday I noticed the case was cracked across the back.  But the phone is fine, which is the point of the case. 

In looking for another case (a cracked case does not make me less clumsy), I found that Otterbox has a 1 year warranty.  So I submitted pictures and a case (very easy to do from my mobile device), and less than six hours later there is a case notice that they are sending a replacement.  Yay!

The ease of making the claim and it being approved is also even more impressive, since I bought the case from amazon, not Otterbox direct to start with.

They're also pretty lenient on that one year warranty.  I had a case break last year, but between all the different phones my family has, I couldn't quite remember when that particular case was purchased.  I had a few that were within the one year time frame and a few that were slightly outside of it.  I called their customer service line and the rep was very understanding and said there's a lot of wiggle room on the "one year" thing.  It's more of "approximately" than anything resembling "exact".  In essence, unless it's a model they haven't even made in over a year, they're going to honor their warranty as long as you can send them those pictures, and they make sending the pictures really, really easy.

I keep Otterbox cases on all of the boys' devices for a reason...
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Rachel

John Lewis for me, I ordered a fridge/freezer from their website and when it arrived (on my birthday) the door reversal wasn't done, which was the whole point of ordering it from them.  Once I got them to agree that was their fault (about two hours) they agreed to send it out again with the reversal done (free) and delivery (free).  *Everything* went wrong, I ended up taking several afternoons off work because they promised it was arriving that afternoon and it didn't, or the reversal hadn't been done, or someone had kicked dents in it.  In the end it arrived and it was completely free.  If one more thing had gone wrong I would have got them to pay me for it.  I know it sounds like a horror story but they gave me a contact there so I only had to speak to him and he was really polite and friendly and it was *free*

For clothes, Long Tall Sally because they make clothes that fit me, although they're expensive they're very good quality and nice people in the shops. I imagine to anyone watching the doors we must all look like peaceful giraffes lolloping around London.

Hotel Chocolat, because they give me free samples (I'm shallow) and they do awesome chilli chocolate truffles.

Snooks

I'm surprised that John Lewis got it that wrong, that's really unlike them in my experience.

They're on my list because they redecorated my hall for free when they scuffed the paint delivering furniture.

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
A bar in my area showed me today why I will patronize them and will continue to do so, as well as recommend to my friends that they do the same.

The bar is very close to where I play volleyball.  After our game last night, my teammates and I decided to go and get a drink and snacks.  It had been raining and miserable throughout most of the day, but had finally cleared up about an hour before.

I only had one beer, so was not anywhere close to being intoxicated.  When we left, we went out and we walked down a wooden ramp that had gotten wet from all the rain.  My foot slipped and I came crashing down.

Now, I was fine - a little sore and my knee was scraped, but nothing that required any sort of attention.  However, there were two tables in the bar that had older patrons, and when I thought about it later, I realized that if one of them fell, they may not have fared as well as I did.

So, I went to the bar's website, and sent them an e-mail reassuring them that while I was NOT going to sue and did not want financial compensation, I wanted them to have the heads-up that the ramp became extremely slippery when wet and probably needed either a mat or non-slip strips attached to it.

I just received an extremely apologetic response, and the owner herself told me that they had called a contractor to not only put down the non-slip strips, but also to lengthen the ramp so it wouldn't be so steep.

They easily could have blown me off, but the fact that they not only responded but are taking action to prevent it from happening again really impresses me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
The second dealership we contacted. Not only did they do the paperwork without us present, it was ready to sign once the test drive was over, they charged minimal fees for their part and renewed the license plate we had for an additional year, when they could have just renewed it for 3 months. Very nice people and we will refer others to them.