News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 19, 2017, 03:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 9142361 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #36510 on: January 17, 2017, 11:15:36 PM »
"They play rough out in Chicago. A cousin of mine once lived there and told me a story.

Neighbor had a habit of letting his neighbors dig their cars out, then parking in the dug-out space rather than dig out his own. Technically legal but a poor way to treat your neighbors.

After being asked yet AGAIN to stop doing this he blasted his neighbors and dared them to do something about it. They did, that night they build a cofferdam around the car and dumped in a ton of slush which froze solid overnight.

Car didn't move until Spring, by which point two windows had imploded under the weight of the ice. Neighbor raised holy hell but couldn't prove who did it. With no proof Police declined to get involved..."

Chicagoan here. The rule is called "dibs", as in "I have dibs on this space", and an old chair is usually the signpost that shows whose it is. If you park there, or take or move the chair, your car will be toast. Only your car, if you're lucky.
You know, this doesn't happen in Australia as we domt get anywhere near the snow. But its totally something I could see us doing  >:D

Browyn

« Reply #36511 on: January 18, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »
They play rough out in Chicago. A cousin of mine once lived there and told me a story.

Neighbor had a habit of letting his neighbors dig their cars out, then parking in the dug-out space rather than dig out his own. Technically legal but a poor way to treat your neighbors.

After being asked yet AGAIN to stop doing this he blasted his neighbors and dared them to do something about it. They did, that night they build a cofferdam around the car and dumped in a ton of slush which froze solid overnight.

Car didn't move until Spring, by which point two windows had imploded under the weight of the ice. Neighbor raised holy hell but couldn't prove who did it. With no proof Police declined to get involved...

Not e-hell approved but something to ponder on...

They do the same thing in Boston (I lived in the Hyde Park section for years) dig out a space then put an old piece of furniture in it to mark it as owned.  Every once in a while the police make a thing about it not being allowed and remove the furniture but it doesn't last long.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #36512 on: January 18, 2017, 06:04:15 AM »
They play rough out in Chicago. A cousin of mine once lived there and told me a story.

Car didn't move until Spring, by which point two windows had imploded under the weight of the ice. Neighbor raised holy hell but couldn't prove who did it. With no proof Police declined to get involved...

They do the same thing in Boston (I lived in the Hyde Park section for years) dig out a space then put an old piece of furniture in it to mark it as owned.  Every once in a while the police make a thing about it not being allowed and remove the furniture but it doesn't last long.

Yeah it's pretty common across the northeast.  Same thing happens here in Baltimore and in DC
Maryland

LadyDyani

« Reply #36513 on: January 18, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
I am so glad I have a garage and driveway.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #36514 on: January 18, 2017, 09:05:20 AM »

Yeah it's pretty common across the northeast.  Same thing happens here in Baltimore and in DC

It happens here in Philadelphia too. Made even worse by the fact that we live in rowhomes, so the plot of land for each house is 20 feet wide. So every person has less than two car lengths of parking space. Often, people will have multiple cars. I once got reamed out by a man (for parking in front of my own house!) because we were making his poor mother walk because he couldn't park there. Snarky wanted to ask him "Oh, is her mobility limited since her stroke?" And when the likely "No, she hasn't had a stroke, what are you talking about?", Snarky could come back with "Oh. Ever since mine, walking has been very uncomfortable. Toodles!"

But Snarky has been finding chewing through the ball gag more and more difficult.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #36515 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
I'd let her take the ball gag off, if you've had a stroke.  Just stuff a cookie in her mouth before she asked the man if he had any problems walking with his ego getting in the way.

Sheesh - some people...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #36516 on: January 18, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »

Ah, Chicago parking how I don't miss thee! But that is a brilliant way to get revenge.

We bought a house in Evanston (just north of Chicago) and while our parking restrictions weren't quite as bad they were still pretty tough. I remember after the blizzard in February 2011, the city relaxed the parking restrictions for a few days until people could dig out. Then the tow trucks came out in force. I've got a picture somewhere of at least 5 tow trucks lined up outside our house waiting for the city to tell them where to go.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #36517 on: January 18, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
I would imagine "surprise me!" is OK if you meet two requirements - one, you don't push it onto reluctant servers who are afraid that this will, somehow, lead to them getting a hard time, and two, you really can happily eat any sort of meal. I suspect some people will be like the woman asking for the drink in Winterlight's story, and go "that wasn't the surprise I wanted!" If you're going to ask for something random, you need to be prepared for them to bring the one thing on the menu you hoped it wouldn't be, and eat it with good grace.

Yes, exactly. Doing this and then complaining that the surf and turf they brought you has fish and you hate fish will make you look like a jerk.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jpcher

« Reply #36518 on: January 18, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »
I would imagine "surprise me!" is OK if you meet two requirements - one, you don't push it onto reluctant servers who are afraid that this will, somehow, lead to them getting a hard time, and two, you really can happily eat any sort of meal. I suspect some people will be like the woman asking for the drink in Winterlight's story, and go "that wasn't the surprise I wanted!" If you're going to ask for something random, you need to be prepared for them to bring the one thing on the menu you hoped it wouldn't be, and eat it with good grace.

Yes, exactly. Doing this and then complaining that the surf and turf they brought you has fish and you hate fish will make you look like a jerk.

Completely agree.

Margo

« Reply #36519 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »
This woman sounds like a nightmare - https://uk.news.yahoo.com/residents-reveal-parking-war-with-selfish-mum-who-blocks-roads-with-4x4-134437513.html

Hopefully some authority will stop her - short version: She drops her kids at school and parks wherever she wants, frequently blocking peoples laneways for up to 45 minutes.

..except that the photos show at least 2 differnet vehicles, andthe police and parkin enforcement say tey can't take action, which sugests that the story is not entirely true.
While getting someone towed is not as easy here as it appears to be in the USA, if she is reguarly blocking driveways then the police do have powers they can exercise. My guess would be that it is not aleays the same person and that the majority of the incidents involve someone parking legally but in a way the reseidents don't like, and that's why the police are not interveneing.

Obviously if people are parking inconsiderately then that's a problem, but  suspect that this particualr story is exagarated for efect.

LadyDyani

« Reply #36520 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »
This woman sounds like a nightmare - https://uk.news.yahoo.com/residents-reveal-parking-war-with-selfish-mum-who-blocks-roads-with-4x4-134437513.html

Hopefully some authority will stop her - short version: She drops her kids at school and parks wherever she wants, frequently blocking peoples laneways for up to 45 minutes.

..except that the photos show at least 2 differnet vehicles, andthe police and parkin enforcement say tey can't take action, which sugests that the story is not entirely true.
While getting someone towed is not as easy here as it appears to be in the USA, if she is reguarly blocking driveways then the police do have powers they can exercise. My guess would be that it is not aleays the same person and that the majority of the incidents involve someone parking legally but in a way the reseidents don't like, and that's why the police are not interveneing.

Obviously if people are parking inconsiderately then that's a problem, but  suspect that this particualr story is exagarated for efect.

The photos are of two different cars, but it states that the other car was her old car, and they've been documenting it for 3 years. You can see in the pictures that driveways are blocked, at least partially.

The police won't do anything unless they catch her in the act, and if she's only blocking the lane for 30-45 minutes, she's probably gone by the time the police get there. With non-emergency calls it can take several hours before there's a response.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36521 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Locked for persistent suggestions and approval of property damage.

So, if your goal was to get the thread locked, good job.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36522 on: January 24, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Yeah, so we've gotten multiple complaints / requests that this thread be reopened.

These long, off-topic threads are fine, but need to be self-policing.  The "cutesy" suggestions of property damage are not "cute" in any way - they're illegal and just plain nasty.  Malicious.  The little devil smileys  >:D do not in any way detract from the malice. 

Stuff like this keeps cropping up.  The mods delete the offending posts; it happens again.  And again and again and again.  Warnings don't work.  I therefore elected to close the thread.

Anyone is welcome to start another discussion. 

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.