News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 31, 2015, 05:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 976796 times)

desireesgranny

• www.TickerFactory.com
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4575 on: Yesterday at 11:01:40 AM »
Re:  Check Engine light

Often, it is something with the emissions system if it comes on and stays steady.  The battery disconnect will clear it if it is a false alarm.  It can be that you just didn't get the gas cap on properly.

But if the Check Engine light comes on and is flashing?  Get thee to a garage post haste.  And depending on how the vehicle sounds, pull over and have it towed to the garage.

My check engine light came on and stays on. Sometimes it flashes for about a minute, then stops.

I took it to a shop, they said they couldn't find anything. The light was off but after about 1 hour of driving, it came back on.

I don't know what to do. Can you give me a reason for saying get to a shop?

My last two cars both had this problem - and in both cases, it was the sensor that was bad.  If you ran a diagnostic on my last car (the little computer thingy repair shops have) it would say I had a "major evap leak" - which usually means the gas cap is off.  My current car gives a similar nonsense message.  The sensor costs a couple hundred dollars to replace, though, so I'm content to just let my wonderful mechanic take a peek whenever I take the car in for an oil change.

Thanks for your help.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #4576 on: Yesterday at 11:45:26 AM »
I had the ABS lights (anti-lock brake system) going off and the light for the airbags on the passenger seat going off for several months.

Took the vehicle on a road trip to visit DD where we used to live and had a mechanic that VorGuy trusted to only charge for needed repairs & not to make up stuff to increase his business (his parking lot was usually full of vehicles waiting to be seen because he was known to be honest and good at repairing vehicles).  Turned out that *someone* had disconnected a couple of plugs in the wiring harness *under the batter* (replaced battery at auto parts store, so it could have been their employee or it could have been a body shop that fixed it about the same time after an accident, where the air bags unexpectedly failed to deploy with the impact on my vehicle having been the front end - they were the only body shop to ever work on the vehicle).

No way of knowing which one - but I strongly suspected the auto parts shop more so than the body shop...the guy had admitted to having trouble getting the battery into place and it took him a lot longer than expected to do it. 

Not so much a scam as doing a job half way wrong and leaving a mess for someone else to "clean up"...at a price. 

Come to think of it, if the ABS light is turning on a lot, check your tires for a slow leak.  I've found more nails in my tires that way than I care to think about.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Otterpop

« Reply #4577 on: Yesterday at 07:45:49 PM »
Speaking of loose gas caps, the last TWO times I had a smog check the repair/test shops said they needed to make adjustments costing $$$.  The first time was 5 pm and they were ready to close.  The technician said he'd run the test "one more time just to make sure."  I saw him screw my gas cap on more tightly and "miraculously" I passed.

The next time at a different shop I stood right there and told them to run it one more time.  I tightened the gas cap myself and "miraculously" I passed the 2nd time.

Be careful if you live in California.  With strict emissions laws we get screwed over by unscrupulous smog check shops.  They seem to ALL be in on it.

(And VorFemme, I stopped going to my old mechanic because every time I'd get something fixed another thing broke down in the next two months.  It was always something weird like getting my fuel pump replaced, then after my gas flapper fell off into the tank and blocked it.  My hoses replaced then my fan belt broke.  It wasn't even and old car.  You'd think they make enough money with regular repairs without having to create business.) 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:56:30 PM by Otterpop »

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4578 on: Yesterday at 08:37:50 PM »
Speaking of loose gas caps, the last TWO times I had a smog check the repair/test shops said they needed to make adjustments costing $$$.  The first time was 5 pm and they were ready to close.  The technician said he'd run the test "one more time just to make sure."  I saw him screw my gas cap on more tightly and "miraculously" I passed.

The next time at a different shop I stood right there and told them to run it one more time.  I tightened the gas cap myself and "miraculously" I passed the 2nd time.

Be careful if you live in California.  With strict emissions laws we get screwed over by unscrupulous smog check shops.  They seem to ALL be in on it.

(And VorFemme, I stopped going to my old mechanic because every time I'd get something fixed another thing broke down in the next two months.  It was always something weird like getting my fuel pump replaced, then after my gas flapper fell off into the tank and blocked it.  My hoses replaced then my fan belt broke.  It wasn't even and old car.  You'd think they make enough money with regular repairs without having to create business.)
The state doesn't run its own emissions testing?  They leave it up to the place that will do the repairs to run the tests?   :o ::)   At the very least, the test facilities should have no financial interest in whether or not you pass. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #4579 on: Yesterday at 09:14:06 PM »

The guy never steered us wrong - he was too busy to want or need to drum up more business!

Sadly, he passed away Christmas Day 2014.  So I won't be going back to his shop for a second opinion.

I got told by a brake shop that my master cylinder was leaking and it was going to fail (run around in Chicken Little "the sky is falling" mode trying to get me to spend big money on my brakes).

What they didn't know is that we had a master cylinder fail a few years ago and NONE of the symptoms matched.  In fact, it had had a brake inspection by someone else, which is why I went back to the shop that I had a guarantee with to get the linings redone and the rotors turned.

I drove it to his shop (took two days to get there, but...I didn't trust that brake shop not to want to charge me because they weren't busy - too little business to pay the overhead that day, I think is the way to put it).

The "leak in my master cylinder" turned out to be an oil spill and I think that it was in need of an oil change, so the seal was replaced while they were under there for a lot less than the "master cylinder" was going to cost me at the first place.

I now go to a different shop in that chain, one that is a little busier & not in need of drumming up business to pay the rent & such.  So - no running around like Chicken Little trying to get people to pay for repairs that aren't due or needed yet.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4580 on: Yesterday at 09:15:49 PM »
The state doesn't run its own emissions testing?  They leave it up to the place that will do the repairs to run the tests?   :o ::)   At the very least, the test facilities should have no financial interest in whether or not you pass.

No, and no. The state does not run its own emissions testing, but you go to a test-only place. I don't believe that it's legal for a place to do both testing and repair.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4581 on: Yesterday at 10:05:23 PM »
I've had problems with the engine warning light on my car.  Went to the dealer three or four times before it actually got diagnosed.  It turned out that while it was being made a couple of bees had found their way into some area involved with air flow, and they had eventually died and burned, and as little bits of burned bees flew off into the engine it triggered the warning light.  The computer gave them a very generic 'air fuel error', but it wasn't until they got it with the light still on that they had a chance.

I've also had the ABS and Traction Control lights come on, only in wet weather.  For that one it was a worn and shorting wire under the chassis that was the problem.

Desireesgranny, I'd suggest if it keeps happening, go to the shop.  It could be a faulty sensor, it could be a dead bug, it could be something major.  Me, I hate driving with warning lights.  I have a long rural commute and I really don't want to be stuck on the side of the road somewhere waiting for a tow.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4582 on: Yesterday at 10:15:53 PM »
I've been getting some scammers who call with misspelled Caller ID info.  I posted before I've been getting calls from "Phone Compaany" and now a particularly persistent caller has "Breas Cancer" as their id info.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4583 on: Today at 12:09:23 AM »

No, and no. The state does not run its own emissions testing, but you go to a test-only place. I don't believe that it's legal for a place to do both testing and repair.

I was wondering the same thing and I'm pretty sure Elfmama and I live in the same state.   

Here our emissions tests are run by the state and you can get issues fixed at any repair shop. 
Maryland