News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 22, 2017, 09:25:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 258114 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1305 on: March 07, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
For that price, you can't save money by trying to sew it yourself!

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1306 on: March 07, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
For that price, you can't save money by trying to sew it yourself!

True! I was only gonna sew stuff on a base dress but then I found this one and it's perfect. A bit big, but perfect since the character is a bit of a ragamuffin.

Emmy

« Reply #1307 on: March 08, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
This game for $4:

The lid was bent and the instructions were missing but only one of the card packs had been opened.

That is a great deal.  I'm always on the lookout for games and Apples to Apples is a very popular and good game.  I did get Apples to Apples Jr. at a thrift store for $2 a while ago.  It says ages 9 and up so I have a few years before DDs 5 and 3 can play with us (but I'm sure it will fly by).

I found 2 pairs of Citizens of Humanity Jeans for $5.50 a piece at Goodwill.  Like Siamesecat, I sell online, although I am not very good at it.  I tend to want to keep most of my treasures.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1308 on: March 09, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
I managed to fix the lid to the degree that enables me to close the box, but it doesn't look perfect.  Not that it matters, as I'm not planning to sell this on eBay.

For a while no games were turning up at my thrift shop but now I will be scouring it for them once again.  I scored an opened copy of this one a few weeks ago:

NFPwife

« Reply #1309 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
I don't thrift often - after this score, I should do it more.

I was getting calls about my flight being delayed and pulled into a parking lot to try to get another way home, there was a Goodwill there and, since the new itinerary was now hours later, I stopped in. I got a pair of jeans (very cute, not sure of the brand) and a pair of velvet Ralph Lauren pants for $1 each! I had them in the cart when there was an announcement over the speaker that everything with a yellow tag was $1, I looked and they were both yellow tags.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1310 on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

I found 2 pairs of Citizens of Humanity Jeans for $5.50 a piece at Goodwill.  Like Siamesecat, I sell online, although I am not very good at it.  I tend to want to keep most of my treasures.

Ooooh, nice! I got a pair of Lucky Brand and J Crew at my Goodwill last time; for the same price, but they were half off.

And at the SA by my mom, got a pair of 7FAM jeans, for $4. They had been altered but professionaly, so while i still sold them, i got less than i could have if they were intact.

My latest online thrift haul was 4 Lilly Pulitzer tops for under $20, all of which retailed for $100 or more...they're washed and ironed and ready for me to list to sell.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1311 on: March 09, 2017, 03:15:47 PM »
Stopped by my favorite resale store at lunchtime. They raise funds for a local hospice. At any rate, I found a white cotton Cremieux sweater for my son. After the sales and discounts, it was $7.50. I think this is a brand that Dillard's sells and is kind of pricey full retail.

snowfire

« Reply #1312 on: March 09, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
Not quite as amazing as some of these bargains, but still a score. I found a replacement screen door for one of the patio doors on my Mom's rental house that we are cleaning up.  Brand new = over $60. Habitat for Humanity thrift store = $20 and it is in really good condition, only one small dent in the face of the frame. (Got one for the other patio door at another Habitat store for $10 a month or so ago!)

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #1313 on: March 10, 2017, 06:07:19 AM »
I've thieved my mum's sewing machine to try and make some things (had some success! A little zip clutch and two nappy+wipes clutches made so far!) so I went to the Red Cross thrift shop and had a paw through their haberdashery section.

a pack of 6 fat quarters still in their paper packaging $1.50

A whole reel of 1/4 inch elastic for $3 (sells for $3 per METRE at Spotlight and this is like 45m left on a 50m reel)

Five spools of cotton thread for 20c each, all barely spun. And 5 more of acrylic thread the same price, still in their plastic shrink wrap.

They also have patterns for 50c each so I got patterns for little dresses for my girls and a skirt for me, total was less than $10 and that also included a really cute little metal thimble.

All the money I'm saving on patterns and thread I can put into my fabric scissors budget.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #1314 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:27 PM »
I've thieved my mum's sewing machine to try and make some things (had some success! A little zip clutch and two nappy+wipes clutches made so far!) so I went to the Red Cross thrift shop and had a paw through their haberdashery section.

a pack of 6 fat quarters still in their paper packaging $1.50

A whole reel of 1/4 inch elastic for $3 (sells for $3 per METRE at Spotlight and this is like 45m left on a 50m reel)

Five spools of cotton thread for 20c each, all barely spun. And 5 more of acrylic thread the same price, still in their plastic shrink wrap.

They also have patterns for 50c each so I got patterns for little dresses for my girls and a skirt for me, total was less than $10 and that also included a really cute little metal thimble.

All the money I'm saving on patterns and thread I can put into my fabric scissors budget.

I do this, but I buy second hand handbags and rip out all the hardware I can get my grubby hands on. It works out a lot cheaper than buying the individual pieces (i.e. magnetic snaps, zips, etc.) and while I'm still learning how to use these things, I feel far less frustrated by what I'm doing.

Captains Flat, Australia

VorFemme

« Reply #1315 on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
Reminds me, I have an octagonal leather purse (thrift shop purchase - but too worn to use) with silvery chrome fittings that I started to take apart to remake in blue & white tapestry....perhaps I will pull it out of the fabric stash closet when I get home and see if it might work for my Renaissance Festival garb...I would think remaking something small & useful from the bits of good fabric from something worn out would be "period correct" when all steps of the fabric production involved hand labor and were thus very "costly" in terms of the hours & hours & hours of work involved.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:32:15 PM by VorFemme »

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1316 on: March 10, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
A brand-new, unopened copy of this for $5:

A second copy of this game for $4.  Opened and barely played, but the previous owner added 4 sheets explaining the scoring system.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1317 on: March 15, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
not thrift, but consignment shop score. while not a true bargain, enough of one for me to make it nice again. A vintage coach bag, in black, in a great style. $29. It needs some TLC but i'm going to be brave, and try something i saw online while searching for instructions to refurbish the vintage Coach bags. You can wash them, as in submerge in water with a little bit of Dawn dish soap, clean it, and then rinse and pat dry, and stuff with towels etc. to hold the shape while it continues to dry (which may take a few days). Once its dry, you use leather conditioner on it, and while it won't look brand new, it will definitely look much better than it did. Mine has some fading on the leather piping so I'm thinking of either getting leather dye, or since its black, just using a black sharpie to fill in the color.

VorFemme

« Reply #1318 on: March 15, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
I bought an older leather Coach bag (two years ago now?) and brought it home.  I used a suede brush on the inside (lipstick or nail polish spill?) and then unbuckled the strap and went to town on on the leather with saddle soap on a damp sponge and a clean white piece of damp terry cloth to wipe it dry.  Did it twice.  It looks pretty good.

A month later, while at DD's, a flat bottomed metal eyelet on the strap made a shallow slice on my thumb - so I took it to the Shoe & Luggage Hospital in Warner Robins, Georgia, USA, to get all of the eyelets on the strap replaced with ones that were rounded (no sharp flat metal edges) on both sides.  Well worth the roughly $5...although I was a little concerned when I got told that it would be two or three weeks before it was ready for pickup, as we were leaving that afternoon after they got off work to go up to Atlanta & spend the weekend at the Georgia Renaissance Festival and I was going to fly back home without getting back to Georgia for some time (possibly not until the next  year...).  I made very sure of picking that purse up "on time"!

Today I got a used hair dryer $4 and a $3 package of foot square cork tiles (put under things like sewing machines & printers to cut vibration) for less than $6 due to it being Senior Discount Day.  I resemble that age bracket...being born in the Baby Boomer era.  There was also an insulated plastic drink carrier for $1 to replace one that got knocked off the table, desk, and kitchen counter a few too many times, cracking the bottom in pieces.  Using glue to fix the first one almost worked...replacing it will work better.