News:

• April 25, 2018, 01:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 724874 times)

kudeebee

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1815 on: January 31, 2018, 01:50:24 AM »
Not even close.  I can get Betty Crocker cake mixes on sale for $1.  Each mix provides maybe 15 servings.  So that's 20 cake mixes right there.  Each mix takes 3 eggs so that's 5 dozen eggs, on sale at $2/dozen.  So just the cake would cost $30 before considering electricity to bake it.

Actually more.  You forgot the oil, spray and flour for the pans and tax.  Plus, that would just get you a cake.  Add on basic frosting and it is easily another 15-20 dollars and that is without any kind of decorations, something to set the cake on, covering for what the cake is set on, etc.

Sirius

« Reply #1816 on: January 31, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
My wedding cake was three very plain round layers, with raspberry filling and vanilla icing and edible beads around the edge.  It cost $110 in 1998 money.  It was supposed to be a 25th anniversary cake, but I told the bakery just to leave the silver "25" candle off the top, so I wasn't charged for that, and it was exactly what I wanted.  Hey, by the time our wedding happened I didn't care what the cake looked like nor what my bridesmatrons were wearing, or even what the groom was wearing as long as he was there - I just wanted it over with. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #1817 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »
Not even close.  I can get Betty Crocker cake mixes on sale for $1.  Each mix provides maybe 15 servings.  So that's 20 cake mixes right there.  Each mix takes 3 eggs so that's 5 dozen eggs, on sale at $2/dozen.  So just the cake would cost $30 before considering electricity to bake it.

Actually more.  You forgot the oil, spray and flour for the pans and tax.  Plus, that would just get you a cake.  Add on basic frosting and it is easily another 15-20 dollars and that is without any kind of decorations, something to set the cake on, covering for what the cake is set on, etc.

Not to mention the time it would take to bake a cake for 300 people. It's not going to fit into your oven in one go, so you're likely to be spending a lot of time making it section by section.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1818 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
I posted this a while back in the Snowflake thread. A culinary student was expected to cater a wedding reception for 200, and pay for half of it

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=142141.msg3487136#msg3487136

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1819 on: February 02, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »
I can remember helping my mum make a friend's wedding cake, and decades ago it cost more than £40 in ingredients for the cakes alone, and that's before the hours spent making sugarcraft flowers, icing it, and assembling it.  OK, Engligh wedding cakes tend to be rich fruit cakes*, so that's probably more expensive, but I know relative to the cost of a more-than-decent present she had spend more money on it that she intended, and that's not including the hours and hours of time.

It was truly beautiful, but she vowed never again!

* I suspect more fruit went into a home-made one than would be in a commercial one?
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

TootsNYC

« Reply #1820 on: February 03, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »
. . .Even so, the time needed to create any textile was certainly immense - which is why it annoys me so much when  costume designers signal a character's poverty in a historical movie by dressing them in unhemmed garments with ragged edges. When textiles cost so much labour to create, you sure as h*ll take care to finish the edges and prevent fraying as much as humanly possible: poverty doesn't come into it.

Yes! They'd be faded and patched--and maybe have marks from where they had been let out at the seams, or pieced to be longer, etc. (even rich people's clothes would be repaired rather than replaced; they might embroider over a stain or over a patch).
     Or they might be made of mismatched fabric pieces from clothing that had worn out.

But they'd be hemmed, because if you don't hem or patch, etc., the damage just gets huge!

I recently learned about a Japanese quilting technique, sashiko, which developed in order to patch or reinforce garments in a decorative way. That made a LOT of sense.

GardenGal

« Reply #1821 on: February 05, 2018, 08:20:04 PM »
There is a beautiful exhibit going on now in San Diego at the Mingei museum, showcasing Indian embroideries made using old clothes.  The needlework and patience and creativity shown is really breathtaking.  https://mingei.org/exhibitions/kantha/
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

RevMaxx

« Reply #1822 on: February 05, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »
Cake that serves 300  for only$ 450??? plus groom cake? what a steal.
I would not do it for under $1400. (but i maintain a commercial kitchen0
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

MyFamily

« Reply #1823 on: March 29, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
http://www.scarymommy.com/crochet-customer-abusive-exchange-viral/?utm_source=FB

Guy tries to commission a queen size crocheted blanket with wool using a specific type of stitch and gets angry that the woman actually wants to make money on the commission, as opposed to losing money on the yarn alone.  He gets real mean, but I thought of all of you here who have been told that someone could buy it at Walmart for less (which he actually does say).
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

rose red

« Reply #1824 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
http://www.scarymommy.com/crochet-customer-abusive-exchange-viral/?utm_source=FB

Guy tries to commission a queen size crocheted blanket with wool using a specific type of stitch and gets angry that the woman actually wants to make money on the commission, as opposed to losing money on the yarn alone.  He gets real mean, but I thought of all of you here who have been told that someone could buy it at Walmart for less (which he actually does say).

Insane. If he can get the same thing at Walmart or "knows people" who do it for cheaper, then why is he bugging her? ::)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1825 on: March 29, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
Bravo, Krafty Katt!

If I'm asked to make something, I charge at least twice the cost of the materials, whether they are in my stash or they need to be purchased.  But like Katt, if they don't like that price, oh, well.  Not like I do it to make a living!  Most of the stuff I make, I give as gifts or donate.  Including queen sized afghans!  Because then I'm making it on my own terms and not trying to get it done within a certain time frame.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1826 on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »

I saw this on FB and immediately thought of this thread!

malfoyfan13

« Reply #1827 on: March 29, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
I can't imagine demanding someone to make something like that and using that kind of abusive language.  I would have cut off the discussion as soon as he started dropping f-bombs.  What a jerk!  I also would have quoted him an outrageous price just to get rid of him.  Ridiculous behavior.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1828 on: March 29, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »
When I saw that crochet thing on FB, I was going to post it, but then decided to track down the source. It was originally posted on Reddit, but was picked up by a twitter account called forexposure.txt.  That account is set up for submitting "real quotes from real people who want [artists] to work for exposure."

It is an amazing collection of requests for freebies or low cost work from artists, designers, writers, etc. It includes not just incredible requests (we will offer you a one-time payment of $25 dollars to work for us for life), but also incredible responses to "no." People who refuse to stop using copyrighted work because "if it's on the internet, it's public domain." People who are stunned that artists don't just do stuff for the pleasure of being artistic. People who play a sympathy card (I have cancer). People (mostly teenage gamers looking for avatars) who turn really whiny. Then there are people who turn abusive, some of which s scary. A couple of mild examples:
"I don't know where else you're going to find anyone who will pay you for your work. My offer is $10 to illustrate my book PLUS exposure to some important people I know.
You'd better think about this opportunity. You're a no name artist who does good work. Don't be a fool."
"You don't care about anyone who likes your work if they can't pay for it. You don't care if they have a family to feed, rent to pay or loans to pay. You're just exploiting their interests to leech their money. You're not Picasso, you're just a digital [lady of the evening]."

It will suck you in and drop your jaw for hours. However, a major language warning. There is a lot of very strong language. Not just profanity & obscenity, but very serious name calling, threats, and much more.

So, if you are ready for that, here goes. https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt You don't need a Twitter account to read it, but Twiiter will bug you about registering.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

vintagegal

« Reply #1829 on: March 30, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »

That was hilarious!