News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 25, 2016, 08:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will you be watching the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics?  (Read 8074 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Will you be watching the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics?
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
And they were both advanced to the final, on appeal.  Though D'Agostino won't be able to run.  She tore one ligament and strained the other in her knee.  :(

That's great! Not that she got hurt, but that they advanced. And yes, a great show of sportsmanship.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
And I just have to give a shout out to the youngest member of the US Team, Sydney McLaughlin, who goes to a HS in the next town over from where I grew up, and one I had friends go to (Catholic HS). We are all very proud of her!

She's a 400M hurdler, and while she didn't advance past the semis, its a pretty great accomplishment just to make the Olympic team, competing with many older, and a lot more experienced people. She'll be heading back to NJ for her sr. year of HS. I forsee great things for her in the future!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll admit, I don't watch the quarters or semi's for the most part I simply watch the finals.  I do watch the semi's for volleyball, soccer, and a few other sports
Maryland

AngelicGamer

« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2016, 03:34:31 PM »
Last night, while watching beach volleyball, I thought the crowd was a bit over the top cheering for the Brazil team / being against the US team.  But, you know, I'm American and I wanted US to win (Kerri Walsh Jennings is still and will always be an awesome player in my book no matter if she wins or loses) so I thought my thinking was bias on the crowd.

And then I read this: https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/pole-vault-tears

Maybe I was a bit wrong about the crowd last night.  Maybe not.  Also, I don't like the tweet that he made but I'm glad that he apologized for it right away.

Mustard

« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »
Slight threadjack but I was thinking about those athletes under suspicion of cheating when I remembered a school sports day several years ago.  One little boy in the infant class I was teaching (aged 6 and 7) had Fanconi's anaemia.  He had missed a lot of school and was a little behind his peers.  Come sports day I said that if he didn't feel well enough to compete, or didn't want to, that was fine.  He wanted to try.  This short, stocky little chap ran like the wind!  I was thrilled for him as he didn't often taste success.  Until a couple of parents wanted him to be disqualified (aged 6!) because he was 'on steroids'.  Words almost failed me... He got his medal, and wore it proudly for days.

Twik

« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:00 AM »
Last night, while watching beach volleyball, I thought the crowd was a bit over the top cheering for the Brazil team / being against the US team.  But, you know, I'm American and I wanted US to win (Kerri Walsh Jennings is still and will always be an awesome player in my book no matter if she wins or loses) so I thought my thinking was bias on the crowd.

Maybe I was a bit wrong about the crowd last night.  Maybe not.  Also, I don't like the tweet that he made but I'm glad that he apologized for it right away.

It's unreasonable to ask a hometown crowd not to be enthusiastically behind their own athletes. It's not unreasonable to expect them to treat other competitors with politeness.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

shortstuff

« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

It's unreasonable to ask a hometown crowd not to be enthusiastically behind their own athletes. It's not unreasonable to expect them to treat other competitors with politeness.

This came up during the men's gymnastics floor finals.  With 1 competitor - an American - left, Brazil was in Silver and Bronze place.  At the end of every tumbling run by the American, the crowd noise got really intense.  He was making mistakes, taking small hops and steps, and it was hard to tell if the crowd was cheering the tumbling pass, or cheering the mistakes.  The NBC announcer commented on it, saying even though every mistake means a better chance of Brazil medaling, he thinks the crowd is cheering for their athletes, rather than for the American's mistakes. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2016, 01:25:33 PM »
Slight threadjack but I was thinking about those athletes under suspicion of cheating when I remembered a school sports day several years ago.  One little boy in the infant class I was teaching (aged 6 and 7) had Fanconi's anaemia.  He had missed a lot of school and was a little behind his peers.  Come sports day I said that if he didn't feel well enough to compete, or didn't want to, that was fine.  He wanted to try.  This short, stocky little chap ran like the wind!  I was thrilled for him as he didn't often taste success.  Until a couple of parents wanted him to be disqualified (aged 6!) because he was 'on steroids'.  Words almost failed me... He got his medal, and wore it proudly for days.

:o :o :o

FA is what my kids have.  I probably should be angry at those parents, but I'm just too stunned by their idiocy.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Dr. F.

« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:34 PM »
I'm so irritated by the US Men's swimming team (the 4 of them that reported being robbed), that I don't have eHell-safe words. I seriously hope that it was some sort of massive misunderstanding from a lack of a common language. Otherwise, you have 4 people who threw away their reputations and, probably, millions in sponsorships for nothing.

Grrrrrr.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »
I'm so irritated by the US Men's swimming team (the 4 of them that reported being robbed), that I don't have eHell-safe words. I seriously hope that it was some sort of massive misunderstanding from a lack of a common language. Otherwise, you have 4 people who threw away their reputations and, probably, millions in sponsorships for nothing.

Grrrrrr.

I don't think they're going to lose a dime of sponsorship money at all.  And that's what's infuriating to me.  Other than the court of public opinion, I doubt they will face any consequences for their behavior. 
Maryland

Dr. F.

« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »

Grrrrrr.

I don't think they're going to lose a dime of sponsorship money at all.  And that's what's infuriating to me.  Other than the court of public opinion, I doubt they will face any consequences for their behavior.

You're right. That would be even more infuriating.

I'm also massively annoyed by the commentators using the old "boys will be boys" line. Lochte is 32. When is he supposed to start taking responsibility for his actions?

Mustard

« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2016, 06:19:07 AM »
After the 2012 London Olympics Royal Mail painted a post box gold for every gold medal winner, usually where they lived, to celebrate and commemorate their achievements.  They have asked people not to do it again, as it was a one-off thing.  A bit sad about that..

http://www.goldpostboxes.com

PastryGoddess

« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »

Grrrrrr.

I'm also massively annoyed by the commentators using the old "boys will be boys" line. Lochte is 32. When is he supposed to start taking responsibility for his actions?

Well shut my mouth...2 of the swimmers are being indicted.  Lochte will probably get away with it since he's here in the states

ETA: 2 swimmers have been allowed to go home.  The third has to pay a 10,800 fine and he'll go home too.  http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-oly-swimmer-20160819-snap-story.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:52:53 AM by PastryGoddess »
Maryland

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2016, 06:49:14 AM »

Grrrrrr.

Well shut my mouth...2 of the swimmers are being indicted.  Lochte will probably get away with it since he's here in the states

Well, he might - then again, not being in-country won't prevent the Brazillians from raising charges against him* and it certainly won't prevent his own mother from tearing a good sized strip off him**. I also rather suspect Team US officials will have some very pointed remarks for him because he's made *them* look bad. That might just mean he has, in fact, committed professional darwinism.

*Further discussion of this is probably enough to get the thread locked as you're way into legal territory
**I can't imagine she's terribly thrilled by his behaviour