Author Topic: S/O Driving you up the wall - Stubborn Children edition  (Read 1500 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Driving you up the wall - Stubborn Children edition
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
My brother was a stubborn kid.  He went through a phase where he wouldn't answer to his given name or nickname, he was "Brent".  I have to give mom credit for one thing, instead of forcing the issue as he was named after her father whom she adored, she went with it.  Before long he was happy to go by his first name again. Or so she thought.

Years later she learns he told his first grade teacher that his middle name is "Tarantula" (it's Patrick) to take the attention off his unusual first name.  And it wasn't a trendy name, it was an old name that was not terribly common for boys in the early 90's.

He also wouldn't eat much and pediatrician told her "He'll eat when he's hungry". Much of the time dinner was the comedy hour as he entertained us, which meant I was often laughing too hard to eat. Now he's 28 and eats just fine.  The turnaround came when he found out he had diabetes type 1 and I think that kind of forced him to expand his culinary horizons.

Food wise, thankfully my boys aren't terribly stubborn, though DH and I do wonder how chocoholics such as ourselves could have two children who just do not like chocolate that much.  Or rather they will eat it in some forms, such as pretzel M&M's, but prefer other sorts of sweets to chocolate.

The toddler stubbornly insists on the same 3 bedtime stories every night. "The Witch's Ball", "Barnyard Dance" and a book of bedtime poetry.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:01 PM »
Of course, it's unlikely to be an allergy issue in their case because the whole point is that they haven't even *tried* it.  And what do you know, quite frequently after they've tried something a few times they decide they like it and eat it readily.  Not always, of course.  Probably not recommended if you have a family history of allergies.  :)
My "stubborn kid" is 63.  There are a lot of foods that he won't try.  He "just knows" that he doesn't like them. ::)

My son is a sight taster too.  It drives me crazy.

I'm a super taster also.  I also loathe peas and licorice (the other big offenders are anise, fennel, tarragon, coffee, and raisins...bleh).  Always have.  I am allergic to soy and peas and licorice in the same family.   Luckily,  my mother also hates peas, so she never servered them.
Another supertaster here.  Peas are good, raisins are excellent, but I agree with you on the rest.  Liquorice, anise, and fennel all taste alike to me.  Perhaps there is a difference that others can taste, but when they're on my tongue for only microseconds, the full flavor doesn't have a chance to develop. 

But some of the vilest things I ever tried were things that MIL loved.  Fresca diet soda and a cough drop called Sucrets.  Bolting for the bathroom and spitting the latter out did not endear me to MIL.  ::)  She interpreted any difference in taste as criticizing her. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »
I have an uncle who, I'm told, asked if he had to eat his mashed potatoes.  He was told no, but he did have to eat his peas.  Grandma found peas hidden in the potatoes when she was washing up his plate.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mergatroyd

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »
We have a one bite rule at dinner, they have to try one bite and then if they don't like it they don't have to eat the rest.

By the time I get DS7 dressed and out the door in the morning I have no patience left to argue about food. He was really good till he was about 2... Then it was the socks. Oh, he would not wear socks. He would scream and scream and scream. So he wore sandals all summer, and boots with liners all winter (so I could remove the liners and wash them!) and finally, halfway through kindergarten, after giving the school office the shock of their lives (his feet were cold after playing out at lunch, so they made him go into the office and the secretary, VP, and P all tried to force socks on him. His teacher- who was well aware of his sock issue and it's friends the pants issue and the long sleeves issue, heard the screaming and came running out of the break room and told them he was screaming because he didn't want the socks not because his feet hurt) he suddenly decided that the super soft super stretchy bamboo socks that I always had in his backpack just-in-case-he-changed-his-mind (he liked touching them with his hands) were ok, and he started wearing them. But only those socks.

Till one day they got too fuzzy.

I do have to say though, I never got any more dirty looks from the duty teachers when he wasn't dressed 'appropriately'.
Even my MIL never believed he had a real issue till she tried to get him to wear socks.. And then later the same day, snowpants. "Oh do you mind if I try? He'll do it for me!"
HAHAHAHAHA.
Cue one toddler screaming to the point of throwing up, in utter histerics.

"I believe you now. I'll stay out of this from now on."

I'm only his mother, I can't possibly know my own kid. Nope.

He is getting better as he gets older, he will now wear a few types of socks (currently they have to be thin bamboo or thin cotton with argyle pattern) and he will wear snowpants and zip up his coat AND wear a hoody. YES!!! Now we just have to buy new sweatpants and sweathoodies every month so they're soft and not fuzzy... Thank you walmart, for making that a possibility.

knitwicca

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
My daughter was the nekkid child.  We made a deal that she did not have to wear clothing if we were at home without guests.
Ironically, she now has 3 unshared closets that are packed tight with clothes. Which she actually wears.

Younger grandson had a 'thing' about his hands being dirty.
He could be covered head to toe in dirt, mud, food....but if his hands were dirty it was the End. Of. The. World.
For him, wet hands (i.e. moisture from the outside of his cup) meant Dirty. Clean it NOW! 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »

I'm only his mother, I can't possibly know my own kid. Nope.

Oh man do I hear you on this.  Yeah, I spend 24/7 with this kid, know his likes and dislikes, routine his signs of exhaustion, how he gets when he doesn't have his nap. Yes, sure he seems cheery and pleasantly behaved NOW but tomorrow when he's only around immediate? That's when the caca hits the rotating cooling device.

But even more annoying? When the kid shows you up and does something one time for someone he's only seen once and then they act superior because they know how to do it and I just hadn't tried that method before! Ooooh yes I have, ya pompous windbag, multiple times in the exact same way and you're not a bit special, he just doesn't know you.

My little guy doesn't like having his face wiped at all...except by the folks in the church nursery.  One day the nursery teacher, also a friend, took a wet wipe to his mouth and he obediently sat still while she did it. I gave a humph and said jokingly "Stinker! I do that and he acts like I'm torturing him for state secrets." Friend shrugged and said "Of course, they're always more cooperative for other people!"