News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 28, 2016, 09:05:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Calling all "outdoorsy" people - UPDATE in OP, 2nd UPDATE in OP  (Read 1037 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Calling all "outdoorsy" people
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 02:26:20 PM »
Try uniqlo. They were selling really nice compact jackets (long,  short and sleeveless) this winter and may have them on sale now. 

If you have a Burlington Coat factory near you,  I would try them. They're my go-to place for clothing. You need patience and time, and know that the "experience" isn't as nice as a nicer department store,  but I always find things there.

As for the coat that smells,  if you can machine wash it,  I would some vinegar to the rinse cycle.  Or ask at a dry cleaning place.

I do have one kind of nearby, and yeah, not the, shall we say, nicest, but i did see some good bargains. Thanks for the tip!

I have plenty of time. I can wash the coat, but after thinking on it, it may not be the exact right one for me. But i can return it to Eddie Bauer in the mall, so no biggie. its like 4 miles from me.

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
Have you thought of checking thrift shops for something that would work well for the traveling? Then you aren't shelling out $100 for a coat to wear while out on vacation? An outlet store or one of the stores that buys all last years inventory to sell at a discount? Instead of looking for a specific brand, I'm more worried about thinking about your pocketbook, haha, that's just how I am.

I love my Northface but I'm PNW and we lie or die by it here, with our climate there's not much choice!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »
Have you thought of checking thrift shops for something that would work well for the traveling? Then you aren't shelling out $100 for a coat to wear while out on vacation? An outlet store or one of the stores that buys all last years inventory to sell at a discount? Instead of looking for a specific brand, I'm more worried about thinking about your pocketbook, haha, that's just how I am.

I love my Northface but I'm PNW and we lie or die by it here, with our climate there's not much choice!

Hmm. Good idea. Yeah, I have time so will hunt down the best deal. And whatever I get, I will wear again...its just that I generally don't wear raincoats. Haha. And my dad, who was from Oregon, is laughing at me from above for that statement.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
Try stalking Steep and Cheap, backcountry.com, and moosejaw.

I have an Arcteryx waterproof and windproof shell that I got on backcountry.com for $150.  Their gear typically retails for $350 - $700 per jacket .  One thing you should remember is that you get what you pay for in high quality gear.  Arcteryx has been around for ~30 years or so..maybe longer. I know people who have had their jackets for 25 years and still use it on a regular basis because the seams have stayed sealed and they take good care of it. 

So yes you could spend $100 and it might last for 5 years or so before you need to replace it.  Or you could spend a bit more and have an investment piece that will last a great deal longer. 
Maryland

siamesecat2965

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 07:11:09 AM »

I have an Arcteryx waterproof and windproof shell that I got on backcountry.com for $150.  Their gear typically retails for $350 - $700 per jacket .  One thing you should remember is that you get what you pay for in high quality gear.  Arcteryx has been around for ~30 years or so..maybe longer. I know people who have had their jackets for 25 years and still use it on a regular basis because the seams have stayed sealed and they take good care of it. 

So yes you could spend $100 and it might last for 5 years or so before you need to replace it.  Or you could spend a bit more and have an investment piece that will last a great deal longer.

Thank you! in my searching i DID see some Arcteryx and while the price was steep, I know you get what you pay for! But as I don't really do the outdoors much, if at all, I figured their stuff was a bit pricy for me.  I think really what I'm looking for is something to keep me dry, that I can continue to wear when it rains :) I think its also that I have a number of coats and jackets already, mainly for winter, as in the spring and summer, i barely wear one, and just need something waterproof.

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »

Hmm. Good idea. Yeah, I have time so will hunt down the best deal. And whatever I get, I will wear again...its just that I generally don't wear raincoats. Haha. And my dad, who was from Oregon, is laughing at me from above for that statement.

Fellow Oregonian :D

We've been ping ponging from 80 degrees (I got heat sickness from it!) to 60s and raining since March  :'(

siamesecat2965

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 12:48:03 PM »

Fellow Oregonian :D

We've been ping ponging from 80 degrees (I got heat sickness from it!) to 60s and raining since March  :'(

Hehe. I actually never lived there; my dad left after college and never went back. But i can still remember visiting at Christmas one year, and we went out. And it was sunny. Dad said bring a coat or umbrella. Nope, its sunny out! he then laughed at me when we came outside, and it was pouring.

I sitll have family and hope to get back sometime! I love it out there. so pretty.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »

Thank you! in my searching i DID see some Arcteryx and while the price was steep, I know you get what you pay for! But as I don't really do the outdoors much, if at all, I figured their stuff was a bit pricy for me.  I think really what I'm looking for is something to keep me dry, that I can continue to wear when it rains :) I think its also that I have a number of coats and jackets already, mainly for winter, as in the spring and summer, i barely wear one, and just need something waterproof.

I don't just wear it for hiking...it's my go to rain jacket for most occasions. 
Maryland

siamesecat2965

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »

I don't just wear it for hiking...it's my go to rain jacket for most occasions.

hehe. And I don't really ever wear a rain jacket; i just don't like them. I usually use an umbrella, and wear whatever coat i have. if i get wet, so be it. Doens't really bother me at all.