News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 05, 2016, 12:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repetitive Gifts  (Read 1872 times)

Barney girl

Re: Repetitive Gifts
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
A couple of years ago I had chemo to be followed by an operation from which I would need three months' convalescence. My birthday fell between the two and every single present was DVDs. It was kind of people to think of what I might need, but ironically it was a beautiful summer and I had no inclination to sit indoors watching them.  Some are still on the shelf.

Thipu1

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
When I was in my 20s. I asked my parents for a Christmas gift of a cotton turtleneck sweater in any color except blue.  I did this for several years and, every year, I received a blue polyester turtleneck. 

On the other hand, there's always the joke about receiving several toasters for Wedding gifts.  We didn't receive a single one and neither of us brought one to the marriage.  It was actually about three years later that we got around to buying a toaster. 

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 06:13:06 PM »
I was just talking about this phenomenon to someone the other day!

When I got married, I got cocktail shakers.  So many cocktail shakers.  So many.

When a friend got married, he got cheese boards.  Cheese board after cheese board.

Another friend lived in a tiny apt. with very little wall space.  For her wedding, almost everyone gave her frames.  She did not have any use for all those frames, having so little space to hang anything.

http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Sunbeem

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »
Whisks.  Still have two sitting in the cupboard, waiting for the two or three in-use whisks to break.

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »
Heh, one year my mother gave me 4 whisks.  Two were in a set together in a stocking.  One was with  a waffle iron.  And the other was... I think with a set of mixing bowls.

I guess she had picked them up throughout the year and forgotten about each as she went along.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »
Not at the same time, but I have a relative who either thinks what she gives me is so fabulous I must need another, or simply forgets, or can't be bothered to think of anything new or original.   I tend to lean towards the "simply forgets" Sadly, its never anything I really care for or can use. Two years running for Christmas, i got a pair of those twisty turban towel thingys for your hair. My hair is really thick, so they don't really work all that well, and get sopping in seconds. I think i gave away all but one, and use it when I travel.

Next up, two years running, was a very gaudy, heavy, and rather ugly bracelet from her favorite HSN designer. Giant gold bangle with crystals - each one had different colors.  Not at all my taste, and I sold one, and gave the other away.

Finally, again, two years in a row, eyeshadow palates. Sigh. I know she means well, but she also knows i have bad allergies year round, and hardly wear any eye makeup.

But I politely accept, and then dispose when she's not around,and she doens't live near me, so not an issue.

I get jewelry from my inlaws. I don't wear jewelry, with the exception of my wedding band/engagement ring. I'm almost 100% certain it was given because it was thought that every woman should wear jewelry. I tried to explain that nickel makes me break out and if it is higher quality I still feel it and it it bothers me. Heck, it took me a few months to get used to my engagement ring. :)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
Not at the same time, but I have a relative who either thinks what she gives me is so fabulous I must need another, or simply forgets, or can't be bothered to think of anything new or original.   I tend to lean towards the "simply forgets" Sadly, its never anything I really care for or can use. Two years running for Christmas, i got a pair of those twisty turban towel thingys for your hair. My hair is really thick, so they don't really work all that well, and get sopping in seconds. I think i gave away all but one, and use it when I travel.

Next up, two years running, was a very gaudy, heavy, and rather ugly bracelet from her favorite HSN designer. Giant gold bangle with crystals - each one had different colors.  Not at all my taste, and I sold one, and gave the other away.

Finally, again, two years in a row, eyeshadow palates. Sigh. I know she means well, but she also knows i have bad allergies year round, and hardly wear any eye makeup.

But I politely accept, and then dispose when she's not around,and she doens't live near me, so not an issue.

I get jewelry from my inlaws. I don't wear jewelry, with the exception of my wedding band/engagement ring. I'm almost 100% certain it was given because it was thought that every woman should wear jewelry. I tried to explain that nickel makes me break out and if it is higher quality I still feel it and it it bothers me. Heck, it took me a few months to get used to my engagement ring. :)

I don't have any issues like that but I wear very simple jewelry. and pretty much the same most days. My cousin's taste runs to the gaudier and shinier the better, and she, no like, brought an entire small duffle bag of jewelry on a beach vacation we went on. Some for each and every outfit, every day, sometimes allowing for a change of clothes from day to dinner.