News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2016, 02:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions for the Brits on here  (Read 1368 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Questions for the Brits on here
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »

Another thing to note: all our prices include taxes already [although as a non-EU visitor it would be worth seeing if there's a way you can reclaim the VAT (there used to be, but I'm heading to bed now and will forget to look it up in the morning!)], so don't get fooled into thinking you need to add on tax, and then a tip.

Do watch your handbag/valuables: there are gangs that go to London specifically to pickpocket.  :(  I would have a good think about where to carry your money before you leave home, in case one bag is more suitable than another.  Bigger hotels should have safes in the room [worth checking] - I would be tempted to leave your passport locked away: we do not have to carry ID cards, and should you need to produce a document for the police [extraordinarily unlikely, I would think], there is a time in which to do so [used to be something like 7 days?].  If your passport/travellers' cheques are safe, it makes for peace of mind.  Having said that, please don't think (central) London is completely lawless, it's just that often tourists are targeted [I suppose they are more focused on "ooh, London!" than "where is my wallet?"].  :-\

Already on that; i have a nice Vera Bradley crossbody with lots of pockets, and Im pretty street smart and tough :) Will have to see about the hotel; its a small B&B so not sure about safe in the room, but they may have one for guests. Not actually using traveler's checks, just some cash but mostly credit and debit cards. My bank is sending me a new debit card with a chip; we're a bit behind europe in that regard!

Glad to hear the bolded.  I would say if you're around the London Eye [Ferris wheel on the South Bank], beware of small children being 'friendly' - you might be watching out for adult pickpockets/thieves and not realise they start their apprenticeships early these days!

I like the sounds of your Vera Bradley - I'm all for pockets! :)  If it's cool enough to wear a coat when I go up to the West End, I usually wear my bag under the coat; it doesn't make me pickpocket-proof, but it means they would have to "work" harder for "their" money, and probably target someone else...

Good plan about the Chip & PIN card, too.
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Margo

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 01:11:26 PM »
it's unlikely that a B&B will have a safe but equally unlikely that you'll need one. If you are worried, but a small padlock to go on a bag or case you can leave in your room.

It's also worth asking your waiter/waitress whether they receive the tips - in some cases it is better to tip in cash than to add it to the payment if you pay by card, as it can make a difference.

GardenGal

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
in most towns in the UK, at least a fifth of the restaurants will be Indians - I guess I was imagining the same being true everywhere for some reason-maybe looking through my brit-tinted specs?
  I wish we had a lot more Indian restaurants here in Southern California.  We have lots of Thai and Vietnamese and Chinese places, plus Mexican and pizza restaurants, and a growing number of Middle Eastern establishments, but not many other countries/localities to choose from in most areas. 

Another Sarah

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 04:26:14 AM »
I think it could be Brit-tinted specs. ;)  I do miss living near the Balti Triangle, but even in southern England there are still plenty of curry houses. ;D
;D

it's unlikely that a B&B will have a safe but equally unlikely that you'll need one. If you are worried, but a small padlock to go on a bag or case you can leave in your room.
It's also worth asking your waiter/waitress whether they receive the tips - in some cases it is better to tip in cash than to add it to the payment if you pay by card, as it can make a difference.
second this. You can always email ahead to ask about a safe if you've booked already

siamesecat2965

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
I think it could be Brit-tinted specs. ;)  I do miss living near the Balti Triangle, but even in southern England there are still plenty of curry houses. ;D
;D

second this. You can always email ahead to ask about a safe if you've booked already

Haha. I think they're tired of my emails already! Actually, they've been very responsive to the few I've sent. They had said when I booked they could arrange a car from the airport, so I sent one asking them to do it, pus details. they responded back within 20 minutes. And all the reviews online are favorable. The ones that make me laugh are the ones that say the rooms are tiny!

Well, yes, most rooms in the UK, Europe etc are small. And this one is in a Georgian townhouse built in the late 1700's!!!!   I love that you can book a single! But I'm guessing those whining are people who think they should have some spacious suite! Um sure you can get that, but if you're only sleeping, showering etc. why bother? I'd much rather spend my money doing things and seeing things!

I did splurge on a double room in Iceland; i figured it might be nice, and for the 3 nights I'm there it really was only about $30 a night more.