News:

• February 21, 2018, 07:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Clean a Burnt Pot??  (Read 1211 times)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
Re: How to Clean a Burnt Pot??
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
Washing soda is sodium carbonate. You've probably seen it sold under the name Borax.

Borax is similar to Washing Soda, but they are not the same. One is sodium borate, the other is sodium carbonate. You can make Washing soda from sodium bicarbonate, but it takes a long time in a hot oven.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
Calgon used to make a washing soda.  Not sure if it is still around.

I'm not going to be trying the fabric softener one; I gave it all to my fMIL last night.  Didn't get a chance to get back to it - going to the church pancake supper and getting our seeds picked out to order took priority.  :)

I'll be trying Comet and if that doesn't work, oven cleaner.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

JoW

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
Dishwasher detergent.  Pour dry powdered dish washer detergent about 1/2 to 1 inch deep in the pan.  Add the hottest water you can get until all of the mess is covered.  Leave it untouched for at least overnight.  When you pour it out much of the crud will float out.  The rest will be soft enough to be removed with one of the failed methods you have already tried.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »
Washing soda is sodium carbonate. You've probably seen it sold under the name Borax.

Borax is similar to Washing Soda, but they are not the same. One is sodium borate, the other is sodium carbonate. You can make Washing soda from sodium bicarbonate, but it takes a long time in a hot oven.
Ha! I'm losing my mind apparently. I meant to type Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. I have no freaking clue where Borax came from in my mind.  :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Frog24

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Nth to recommend Bar Keeper's friend.  Wet the bottom of the pot, sprinkle on Bar Keeper's friend and just let it sit for a few hours.  The gunk just flakes off.   My friend used this method when she burned mashed yams onto her pot.  The gunk flaked off in giant chunks leaving a shiny pot behind.

Tactical Grace

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
I've found that oven cleaner does the trick for most burnt pots, but burnt sugar* is impervious to it. For a pot coated with sugar that has been burnt black, you want hydrogen peroxide. Cover the burnt residue with about an inch of hydrogen peroxide, simmer for a bit and the sugar loosens. I had to repeat it, then do a bit of scrubbing to get the last bits out, but it worked surprisingly well when nothing else did. You can find an explanation of the chemistry involved if you google for burnt sugar hydrogen peroxide.

* Applesauce isn't pure sugar, of course, but this might help you and I'm betting someone reading this will find the tip useful.

TootsNYC

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
Maybe it's because my fudge overflow wasn't so badly burned (though technically sugar doesn't burn), but I found that I could get rid of it by simply soaking it. Even though it was black, it dissolved if it had enough time.

Off to read about sugar and H2O2.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:38:16 PM by TootsNYC »

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
The pot sat for a long time with water before we even attempted to clean it.  And it's been sitting with the water and vinegar that I boiled for a couple of days now.  And it still looks completely baked on.  I am going to try the hydrogen peroxide trick, if Comet doesn't work!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Kaypeep

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:24 AM »
Easy Off Oven cleaner will work in a case like this, too, as someone mentioned above.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
So when I finally got around to dumping out the vinegar water, I was able to scrape off a lot of the baked on stuff.  So I put in some comet and scrubbed with an SOS and a lot of stuff came off.  DF went at it, with a little more elbow grease, and it pretty much came clean.

But I'm keeping the hydrogen peroxide idea in my back pocket for next time.  I'm sure there will be a next time.   ::)

Thanks, everyone.
Ontario