Author Topic: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread  (Read 59143 times)

Elisabunny

Re: File under Miscellaneous: Topics That Don't Deserve A Whole Thread
« Reply #585 on: Yesterday at 06:57:14 PM »
When my middle daughter will be out from school for a few months with her medical issues, she is hoping to continue remotely with her regular classes, skyping when possible.  Yes, we have already talked with the teachers. 

What I was wondering, it would be cool if she had a webcam attached to the tablet she'll be using, that she can control that would allow her to follow the teacher.  Can anyone tell me what to look for, or recommend a brand that is reliable but not terribly expensive?
Are you talking about putting a tablet in the classroom with the camera on it that she can remotely control? Just trying to clarify the need.

That's what I thinking of trying, anyway.  If it's possible/doable.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #586 on: Yesterday at 07:16:56 PM »
As far as I know the controlling (video focus movement) part needs to come from the sender. So your DD will not have control because she's on the receiving end of the video.

Think about skyping, you can only see what the sender shows you.

random numbers

« Reply #587 on: Yesterday at 07:25:56 PM »
Something like this?

http://www.swivl.com

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #588 on: Yesterday at 08:04:11 PM »
When my middle daughter will be out from school for a few months with her medical issues, she is hoping to continue remotely with her regular classes, skyping when possible.  Yes, we have already talked with the teachers. 

What I was wondering, it would be cool if she had a webcam attached to the tablet she'll be using, that she can control that would allow her to follow the teacher.  Can anyone tell me what to look for, or recommend a brand that is reliable but not terribly expensive?
Are you talking about putting a tablet in the classroom with the camera on it that she can remotely control? Just trying to clarify the need.

That's what I thinking of trying, anyway.  If it's possible/doable.

What your wanting is a camera that allows "Far end control" meaning the remote person can zoom, tilt and pan the camera. I'm not aware of any that has that functionality that under $1k. Hinestky your biggest challenge will be the microphone quality to allow her to hear the teacher. I'd start with something like the Microsoft Livecam studio. It has wide screen and a good mic with noise reduction technology. It's about $70 on Amazon or Best Buy.

aka

« Reply #589 on: Yesterday at 08:21:44 PM »
A woman claimed to have been pregnant with twins, then spun an elaborate tale of their death, complete with a funeral service. She also convinced one child and his doctors that he had gallbladder cancer, and his gallbladder was removed, then that he had kidney issues. A daughter was treated for cancer, which she did not have. This woman is beyond belief.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/08/27/munchausen-mom-how-one-woman-fabricated-pregnancy-and-deaths-imaginary-twins/

I know that this is an old post, but this reminded me of the following story:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-06-12/news/0906111114_1_hoax-anti-abortion-miracle-baby

Here's what's crazy - I went to school with this woman and was friends with her briefly during junior high. Let's just say that when I read this story, I was not actually surprised.

(edited to add: I have no intention of bringing the political/religious aspects of this story to the board - just the fact that she fabricated a child and scammed readers)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:29:56 PM by aka »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #590 on: Yesterday at 11:52:48 PM »

You might check with your district's IT department especially the campus CITS if they have one.

If your daughter's classes are self contained something like our "portable" distance learning carts could be used for this. They have excellent mikes and her classmates and teacher could see her.

One problem with skyping is it will be taking up a whole computer. For example if they use the teacher's workstation - I'm not sure they can skype and control the promethean/smart board. Even if the software allows it, school computers tend to be under powered. Also, I know we had bandwith problems when we tried to skype instead of using the distance learning carts. The cart went through a different network.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future