News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 28, 2017, 10:30:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARG!! Can't people reply to an invitation!! Help with reminder note please  (Read 1204 times)

gellchom

If I were a parent and the school shared my contact information without my permission I would be absolutely furious. It's not their place to do so and they have no idea if the person requesting the info has a valid reason for asking. That is just such a humongous no in my book that I would be genuinely shocked to hear about a school willing to give out personal info.

It may not be as ubiquitous as it was when my children were in school, but I believe many schools still have class directories.  All the schools my kids attended did.  If people want to opt out, they do.

otterwoman

I went with Malfoyfan13's suggested wording, and sent in notes this morning. DD's aide told me they were put in the kids homebound folders. Student information is not given out. This school is serious about safety and privacy; the building is locked if there are students inside. You have to sign in and out.

A small number of kids were invited. As DD just isn't capable of telling me much of anything, I had asked her aide to give me names of kids who played with her in school. The aide went above and beyond helping me; she set up a meeting with DD's Special Ed teacher and her General Ed teacher, and the three of them made the list based on the students interactions with DD. I was blown away by this.

For the parties DD has been invited to, the invitations were passed through at school. It's standard practice here.

Thank you for your help!

jpcher

Thanks for the update and since passing invites through school is standard practices then I agree that Malfoyfan13's suggestion was perfect.

I especially like the fact that DD's teacher/aid are willing to help. They sound awesome.

Good luck! Hoping your DD has a wonderful party!

chigger

If it were me, I'd skip the goodie bags unless you want to make enough for all just in case. Or give something where you can use or donate the extras.

My DD is 8 and I find the concept of goodie bags to be pointless. My DD does not even want little snacks or trinkets like what she gets in goodie bags from her friends' parties. I have eventually thrown out many many goodie bags virtually untouched a week or more after the event.

If it were me I would ask my DD which friends she wishes to invite and ask those friends to provide their parents' phone numbers to your DD. Then you can contact those parents. I wouldn't pass out invitations during school.

You know just because you find them pointless and your DD doesn't want them, does not mean everyone feels the same. That is, to me, supremely condescending.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
If it were me, I'd skip the goodie bags unless you want to make enough for all just in case. Or give something where you can use or donate the extras.

My DD is 8 and I find the concept of goodie bags to be pointless. My DD does not even want little snacks or trinkets like what she gets in goodie bags from her friends' parties. I have eventually thrown out many many goodie bags virtually untouched a week or more after the event.

If it were me I would ask my DD which friends she wishes to invite and ask those friends to provide their parents' phone numbers to your DD. Then you can contact those parents. I wouldn't pass out invitations during school.

You know just because you find them pointless and your DD doesn't want them, does not mean everyone feels the same. That is, to me, supremely condescending.

Agree. The question had nothing to do with opinions regarding party favors. It did come across as a bit superior.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!