Author Topic: How do you decide? Home improvement contractors  (Read 76 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
How do you decide? Home improvement contractors
« on: Yesterday at 09:08:28 PM »
I posted a couple of months ago asking for advice on finding a contractor for a new roof. I've had 7 estimates.

2 of which I crossed of right away because "wink-wink I'll give you a good deal."

1 was crossed off because of internet search, they were operating in 5 different states at different times under different names. They no longer operate in the different states.

2 were crossed off simply because they were close to or more than $1,000 higher than the remaining 2, even though their proposals were comparable. While they had good reports with BBB and I e-mailed several of their references and received good notices, I didn't see that their services were much different or worth that much more money.

That leaves me with 2. Both are A+ ratings with the BBB, I've received positive e-mail referrals (after asking off of their web-site) from both of them. I've been e-mailing them both with certain questions concerning the contract and they have been prompt/polite/concise with their answers. The difference between their quotes is less than $200.

Here's the differences:

Company1 said he didn't know how many plywood sheets (decking?) needed to be replaced and wouldn't know until he tore off the roof.

Company2 guessed at 7-12 sheets of plywood. Both quoted the same $amount per sheet of plywood.

C1 said that the job would take one day.

C2 said that it would probably take one day, but figure on possibly two because you just don't know how much damage there is to the decking, etc. until the roof is taken off. He said "I'm giving you the worst case scenario."

C1 gave me a beautiful brochure with sample roofing colors, etc.

C2 said he'll be happy to bring me samples of colors, etc. before I sign with him.

That being said, which would you choose? C1 or C2? What would be your criteria on choosing? Are there any additional questions that I should ask that would make the deciding point?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: How do you decide? Home improvement contractors
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:16:15 PM »
Did either company 1 or company two go into your attic and take a look there? Did either of them walk around the house and explain what they were seeing and what it means?

They are so close to one another that I would say it probably doesn't matter but I am leaning towards one and I can't give you a reason for it - it just "feels" like the right choice.

Amara

Re: How do you decide? Home improvement contractors
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 09:17:00 PM »
Company1 said he didn't know how many plywood sheets (decking?) needed to be replaced and wouldn't know until he tore off the roof.

Company2 guessed at 7-12 sheets of plywood. Both quoted the same $amount per sheet of plywood.

Company 1 because I like the fact that he told you he couldn't narrow down the number of sheets needed until he tore off the roof. I like that he prefers to have all his facts first then give you the correct number.

C1 said that the job would take one day.

C2 said that it would probably take one day, but figure on possibly two because you just don't know how much damage there is to the decking, etc. until the roof is taken off. He said "I'm giving you the worst case scenario."

Company 2 because he is also waiting until he has all the facts until he gives you an answer (Too bad it's not the same company as in the first scene.)

C1 gave me a beautiful brochure with sample roofing colors, etc.

C2 said he'll be happy to bring me samples of colors, etc. before I sign with him.

I would probably prefer Company 1 slightly but honestly, there is so little difference here to me it would be like splitting hairs and I wouldn't use this to choose. It seems like a tie to me.