Author Topic: The 10 Most Horrifying Team Building Exercises - Woa  (Read 20667 times)

JadeGirl

Re: The 10 Most Horrifying Team Building Exercises - Woa
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
We did it by birthday, so no worrying about age issues.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
I must be misunderstanding something... How do you figure out order of birthday if noone can speak? It's not like people look like a "9th of July"?  ???
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

lowspark

« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
I must be misunderstanding something... How do you figure out order of birthday if noone can speak? It's not like people look like a "9th of July"?  ???

I had to think for a minute before I figured it out. I think the idea is for each person to stand in the line in the spot they approximate to match the point in the calendar where their birthday falls. For example, if my birthday were in January, I'd  head to the front of the line. If it were in March, I'd try to stand behind about 1/6 of the people, etc.

I could see it being kind of a cute thing to do with kids, or even with a small group of adults as an ice breaker. But with 150 people? It would be agonizingly dull.

greencat

« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »

That's the whole point of the exercise, I think - being able to communicate a piece of information through non-verbal communication.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
I've seen this birthday thing. It was month & date, not year. People did line up approximately by month, then started using hand signals. They soon figured out that the first signal was month and the second was date. Depending on the number, people either held up fingers or "wrote" with a finger on the opposite palm. It wasn't all that exciting.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

chi2kcldy

« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »

The director of my department thought we should spread some holiday cheer around the office. He wanted us to walk around and sing Carols. He said it was a great bonding exercise. Apparently our singing would lift up the spirits of other departments. They would join in and before you know the entire company is singing together.

He was relentless. One day we came in to sheet music on our desk. We were told to memorize six songs by a certain date. He even suggested we practice in the conference room after work.  >:(

No one wanted to do it. Eventually another director explained that walking around the office singing while people were trying to work wasn't a good idea. Especially considering 80% of our employees are always on the phone with a vendor, customer, law office or local branch.

Imagine talking to a customer then 20 people walk up behind you singing O Christmas Tree of key.  ???  :o

JadeGirl

« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »

Lowspark, Greencat and Nutrax have it right.  It's a problem-solving exercise to get people thinking about communicating non-verbally.
We used hand signals to communicate month, then date. It got a bit complicated as we had two sets of two people who had the same birthday, so they ended up standing one behind the other.  The second time I had to do it with another group, I gave everyone a post-it note, then got accused of cheating  ;D