News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 29, 2016, 04:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grandma uses good manners while googling  (Read 644 times)

Kimberami

Grandma uses good manners while googling
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »
I thought that this was a really cute story.  I shall remember my pleases and thank yous going forward.   ;D
https://www.yahoo.com/news/polite-british-grandma-gets-rather-045549820.html
Oh Rocky!

Team HoundMom

Re: Grandma uses good manners while googling
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »
I know, that's adorable, eh.  Especially Google acknowleding her. 

HoneyBee42

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
That's adorable.

Reminds me of a relay customer that I always was happy when I handled her calls.

(For those unfamiliar, relay calls are assisted by an operator for people who are deaf/hard of hearing or speech impaired.  Basically, if the person can't hear, the operator will type whatever's going on at the other end, if the person can't speak, the operator reads whatever the person types).  This particular customer was hard of hearing, so she spoke but needed relay for the other side of the conversation (what was termed VCO, or voice carry-over).  She always opened with "Operator, would you be so kind as to dial [insert number] please?"   It'd make me feel like smiling every time I heard it.  Still makes me smile, remembering it.

Thipu1

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
I can see why Grandma would be polite.  I can also see why Google would acknowledge her.  All those extra words could mess up her search.

It reminds me of the time when MIL still had relatives in China and we'd get her discount calling cards.  She actually thought that the robot voice in Mandarin asking her to enter her code was a living person.  Until we explained things to her, she complained that the operator was rude for not replying to her pleasantries.