Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 586994 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2008, 11:39:21 AM »
I am making spaghetti sauce from scratch this morning. I'm covering a shift for a sick staffer from noon to 4pm today, so I thought I'd get the sauce done now to warm up later. I'm going to make some bread dough this morning too, and put it in the fridge. I can use it to make rolls or breadsticks to serve with the spaghetti. I'm not sure if I'll make salad or a vegetable, but I have some green leaf lettuce and grape tomatoes to use up, so I'm leaning toward salad.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
Cathy, sounds delicious! I have sausages in the fridge, and was wondering what to do with them. I think I'm going to make sausage, tomato and garlic pasta.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »
Zucchini broiled with garlic, butter, lemon & rosemary.

When it's just me in the summer, with a refrigerator full of farm-fresh produce, I end up eating nothing but vegetables for dinner a lot of nights.  Looks like tonight is one of those.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2008, 04:39:06 PM »
Zucchini broiled with garlic, butter, lemon & rosemary.

When it's just me in the summer, with a refrigerator full of farm-fresh produce, I end up eating nothing but vegetables for dinner a lot of nights.  Looks like tonight is one of those.

I could eat nothing but fresh corn on the cob for dinner, if people didn't look at me funny  ;)

Tonight the BF and one of our good friends are going to go see the "Bleach" movie (Anime) Since she works close to the movie theater, which is semi-far from us the BF is meeting her right after work and they are getting yummy asian food (yeah I'm a bit jealous but have NO interest in the movie - he promised to bring me home some spicy pineapple/squid/shrimp fried rice)

Since I'm on my own I'm going to make some whole wheat mac & cheese, I've also got the fixins for a strawberry rhubarb pie that I'm going to put together in a little bit.

Buffy2424

« Reply #169 on: June 11, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
I am on my own tonight, and microwaving the extra piece of chicken parm I made last night for this purpose. 

But in more exciting news, I used up most of my remaining blueberries by making and individually freezing 16 giant waffles last night.  Now I've got half a freezer of waffles -- set for awhile!  I was on the phone with my mom while I was making them, and I told her I was trying to entice them to visit this summer ;D

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: June 11, 2008, 06:13:57 PM »

But in more exciting news, I used up most of my remaining blueberries by making and individually freezing 16 giant waffles last night.  Now I've got half a freezer of waffles -- set for awhile!  I was on the phone with my mom while I was making them, and I told her I was trying to entice them to visit this summer ;D

*drools*
They look delicious.

Buffy2424

« Reply #171 on: June 11, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
They are mega filling, too.   I don't exactly skimp on the butter in this recipe.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »
Tonight we had steaks and chevre-filled stuffed mushrooms.  Chevre is goat cheese, by the way. DH and I had tasted the mushrooms last weekend at our neighborhood supper club and found it to be wonderfully zesty (it was quite a hit with everyone.)  We got the recipe and decided to test-drive it this week.  It was a little soggy, mostly because DH had bought goat cheese spread instead of crumbled goat cheese.  Will adjust next time, but oh so tasty!!  I posted the recipe over in the cookbook folder:

Chevre-filled Mushrooms

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
Cathy, sounds delicious! I have sausages in the fridge, and was wondering what to do with them. I think I'm going to make sausage, tomato and garlic pasta.

That's what we're planning to make tomorrow night!  We make homemade marinara sauce every other week or so.  This past weekend, we realized that we have some leftover Italian sausage that we need to use up.  So it's Italian sausage in marinara pasta tomorrow night.

Sometimes, in addition to the sausage, we'll throw some sauteed bell peppers and onion in the sauce, and eat everything on hoagie rolls topped with mozerrella cheese.  We made a crockpot of this for the last Super Bowl party and served it with hoagie halves.  Was quite a hit.

Buffy2424

« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
The chevre-filled mushrooms sound great

Sometimes we are like a goat cheese fan club on this thread :)

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:14 PM »
The chevre-filled mushrooms sound great

Sometimes we are like a goat cheese fan club on this thread :)

It was awesome!  I've been trying to find a good stuffed mushroom recipe for years, but my attempts always fell short and they would be bland.  Everyone at the supper club the other night agreed that the cheeses really added that bite, that oomph!  Now I finally have a recipe that I can duplicate and not be embarrassed to serve.

Now the question is whether or not to try to serve this to my MIL and her family.  She has her own famous stuffed mushrooms, which she has NOT shared the recipe with me despite repeated requests.  :(  DH doesn't think I should do it.  But I'm thinking if she does like it, she would ask for the recipe and I could tell her I'll trade it for hers.  Hee hee.  Won't work, but nice fantasy.

alecmari

« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2008, 08:01:07 PM »
Rice, breaded pork chops (applesauce and raisin bread), salad, bread and butter, and a bottle of pinot noir.  It was really yummy.

Flannery

« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2008, 08:26:47 PM »
The chevre-filled mushrooms sound great.

They certainly do! I've actually been considering having a party just so I have an excuse to make lots of little canapés... I might have to give these a whirl.

We're ordering Chinese when SO gets home from band practice. I might splurge and get the spicy fried shrimp... yum.

We're going grocery shopping tomorrow so I can get back to adding interesting things to this thread :)

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:47 PM »
Buffalo burgers (much leaner!) and veggies on the grill tonight. Meat mixed with tandoori spices and topped with jalapeno peppers, onions and bean sprouts for a crunch :)

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
I made quick ciabatta tonight  (recipe from thefreshloaf.com), sliced them open lengthwise, melted some mozzarella on them, and served them with ramekins of marinara sauce.