Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 521324 times)

Abby T

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2008, 08:45:54 AM »
MrAbby is out tonight so I am going to have a very simple vegetarian pasta dish.

I have also decided to start shopping on the internet and have my groceries delivered to make menu planning easier. We seem to only be able to go to the supermarket at busy times and leave before finishing the list becuase of the crowds. Does anyone have any experience with Sainsbury's online?

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
Sunday night we went to my parents and the BF grilled steaks, we also had Italian bread with garlic poached in olive oil, spread onto the bread and tossed under the broiler for a few minutes, creamed spinach (YUM) and salad.

For dessert my mom made a chocolate pudding pie (dad's favorite) and strawberry short cake.

Tonight we're going to have leftover steak, but I'm not sure yet what we'll be doing with it.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »
salad from the garden

You mean, you served food grown in dirt?  :D

Gross right?

Come on, when there are all those fabulous tomatoes at the grocery!

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Sainsbury's online?
Yep! I get my shopping delivered by them every week, I find them fantastic. Almost always delivered within the delivery slot, I think once they were 10 minutes late, but I got a 10 voucher to make up for it.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2008, 10:53:17 AM »
Tonight - IF Mr. F gets home early enough for a decent meal before the kids' swimming lessons, we'll have broiled hamburgers, corn, and leftover au gratin potatoes.

If it looks like he'll be running late, we'll have sandwiches.

Abby T

« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Sainsbury's online?
Yep! I get my shopping delivered by them every week, I find them fantastic. Almost always delivered within the delivery slot, I think once they were 10 minutes late, but I got a 10 voucher to make up for it.
Great! I have been asking around but nobody I know uses the service so I have been a bit concerned. What are they like with availability and quality of fresh food? That is my biggest concern - having everything planned out and then discover key ingredients are missing.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
<snip>

You don't know how relieved I am to read this. Just this morning I was wondering if Cathy ever just gave in and ordered pizza or made sandwiches....  ;D

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »

Great! I have been asking around but nobody I know uses the service so I have been a bit concerned. What are they like with availability and quality of fresh food? That is my biggest concern - having everything planned out and then discover key ingredients are missing.
Fairly good. Every now and then, there's the odd item which they have substituted as what I ordered wasn't available, but the substitute item is usually very similar to what I ordered (such as I order a regular product, they don't have it so send the same product from their organic range) so it isn't usually a problem. The food is very fresh, too. I used to order from Tesco, but after them being late almost every week without so much as an apology (one week they were 2 hours late) and sending me meat almost at its sell-by date, I stopped using them. The service just wasn't as good.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:47 AM »
<snip>

You don't know how relieved I am to read this. Just this morning I was wondering if Cathy ever just gave in and ordered pizza or made sandwiches....  ;D

LOL! Oh, yes. We do. I do try to avoid takeout, though, just because of the expense.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #219 on: June 16, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
Turnip greens with cornmeal dumplings and red beans.

Continuing the crusade to eat all my veggies before the go bad, and now adding the challenge of emptying out freezer and pantry.  Lots of cornmeal and frozen red beans?  Done.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #220 on: June 16, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
Turnip greens with cornmeal dumplings and red beans.

Continuing the crusade to eat all my veggies before the go bad, and now adding the challenge of emptying out freezer and pantry.  Lots of cornmeal and frozen red beans?  Done.

I told Mr. F that when our vegetables are ready for harvesting, we may have whole meals planned around the veggies only!

Abby T

« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »

Fairly good. Every now and then, there's the odd item which they have substituted as what I ordered wasn't available, but the substitute item is usually very similar to what I ordered (such as I order a regular product, they don't have it so send the same product from their organic range) so it isn't usually a problem. The food is very fresh, too. I used to order from Tesco, but after them being late almost every week without so much as an apology (one week they were 2 hours late) and sending me meat almost at its sell-by date, I stopped using them. The service just wasn't as good.

Interesting that you should say that - I used Tesco when they first started delivering in my area about 10 years ago. I had several late and incorrect deliveries. I stoped using them when they were unable to give me certain items from my order after 3 attempts (original delivery plus two corrections).

MDefarge

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:39 AM »
Tonight the BF's going to be making chicken tikka masala, and we have some rice in the freezer, so it should be a fairly quick, yummy, meal.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Tonight the BF's going to be making chicken tikka masala, and we have some rice in the freezer, so it should be a fairly quick, yummy, meal.

Granted, I don't eat chicken, but Indian sounds so yummy right now.

I'll be making potato & leek soup, crema styled: make the soup in a standard broth, then remove half and puree.  The potatoes really thicken the soup and make it nice and creamy without actually adding a bunch of cream.

MDefarge

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2008, 11:52:28 AM »

Granted, I don't eat chicken, but Indian sounds so yummy right now.

I'll be making potato & leek soup, crema styled: make the soup in a standard broth, then remove half and puree.  The potatoes really thicken the soup and make it nice and creamy without actually adding a bunch of cream.

lol, after reading about your soup, I'm ready to swap suppers!  Sounds delicious.