A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What's for Dinner?

<< < (1177/1481) > >>

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: geekette on May 11, 2013, 03:50:06 AM ---Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)

--- End quote ---

What is 'cat mince' ?

ladyknight1:
Cat food.

I had a monster ribeye sandwich (ribeye steak, sliced thin, cooked with onions and mushrooms).

geekette:

--- Quote from: EmmaJ. on May 11, 2013, 12:40:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: geekette on May 11, 2013, 03:50:06 AM ---Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)

--- End quote ---

Oh no!  I'm torn between deep sympathy and hysterical laughter.  Please tell us how.  There must be story behing that!

--- End quote ---

There's not really any story I know of. Mum promised to make me her lasagna, since its my favorite food, but 10 minutes after it had been put into the oven Geek-bro checked the fridge and found a packet of human mince defrosting, and an empty packet of cat mince on the bench. He checked the trash and couldn't find any other packets, did a smell-test of the mince pan and confirmed it did not smell like the mince mum cooks.
Then dad decided to finish cooking the lasagna, so the pasta sheets would be soft enough to feed it to the cats, and ordered pizza instead.

Amara:
Was very relieved to read what cat mince actually is.  :P

I am making some lovely dinner rolls and the dough is rising now. For the main course I think I will make the simple salmon cakes (similar to crab cakes) that my mom used to make. A green salad will complete the meal. To drink: some Portuguese wine that I think of as very summery--Vinho Verde, green and lightly effervescent.

jmarvellous:
I made a vegetarian version of the Americanized Chinese beef and broccoli.

I looked up the dish online because we had these Gardein "Beef Tips" I wanted to use, and the standard sauce with real beef always seems to use oyster sauce. I made a pretty acceptable (better? we thought so) substitute with fresh garlic, soy sauce, balsamic and red wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili sauce, sesame seeds, a bit of honey and a little cornstarch to thicken. And I thought we had broccoli, but it was a frozen "broccoli Normandy" blend with cauliflower and carrots; loads of well-softened onion rounded out the dish, served atop brown rice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version