Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 592468 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6090 on: July 08, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
I got a naughty joke cookbook from my brother last week. So we had one of the roasted chicken recipes tonight. Chicken with oranges, paprika and bacon.

It was Fifty Shades of Chicken, if anyone is interested.

Must...not...make..jokes....

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6091 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »
A deli has a meal offering that includes an entree and 2 sides.  I get their delicious rolled up eggplant Parmesan, their polenta with walnuts and butternut squash and their roasted asparagus.   I split it for two meals and so it costs about $4.50 for each one.  I think it's a great deal because I don't buy eggplant and let it deteriorate in the fridge, not having the energy to do the eggplant Parmesan from scratch and I don't cook a potful of polenta which I would eat until gone, ruining my blood sugar.  A win-win!  Anyway, that's what I had for dinner, tonight. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #6092 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »
I got a naughty joke cookbook from my brother last week. So we had one of the roasted chicken recipes tonight. Chicken with oranges, paprika and bacon.

Please do! My DH and I have been all weekend.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6093 on: July 09, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »

Please do! My DH and I have been all weekend.
tying things up....
stuffing things in cavities....
...I could go on and on
*snerk*

workerbee

« Reply #6094 on: July 09, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »
Last night DH and I were unexpectedly kid-free, so we went out for sushi: edamame, miso soup and seaweed salad to start, then shared a sushi/sashimi  platter. Walked over to the frozen yogurt shop for dessert. :)

Tonight, it will be slow cooker eggplant curry with naan. Maybe some sliced cucumbers and avocado on the side.

Mind sharing the recipe? I'm always looking for more vegetable focused slow cooker recipes.

I'd be happy too, but honestly, this one was not a huge success. I got the recipe from our CSA newsletter and it was....missing something. Maybe someone here can offer suggestions for improvement:

1 medium eggplant, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 cup vegetable broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1T curry powder
1/2 T cumin
2 t minced garlic
1 bay leaf
salt, pepper to taste
1/4 t cayenne (optional)

Combine in slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low (I did 6)

(Edited because I forgot the garlic!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:10:59 PM by workerbee »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6095 on: July 09, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
I don't use a lot of curry powder accept for Chicken Divine. Maybe add a little more tumeric, gram masala, or coriander? Ginger root might Los perk up some as well as some cilantro or mint added to the end. Or maybe a dollop of yogurt?

I think I'll give it a try and maybe add some chick peas to increase the protein.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6096 on: July 09, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
Tonight's dinner: American Chop Suey and Watermelon and Feta salad.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6097 on: July 09, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Last night was a chicken salad and an apricot since I had a dance class.

Tonight will probably be something from the freezer and salad.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

workerbee

« Reply #6098 on: July 09, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »
I don't use a lot of curry powder accept for Chicken Divine. Maybe add a little more tumeric, gram masala, or coriander? Ginger root might Los perk up some as well as some cilantro or mint added to the end. Or maybe a dollop of yogurt?

I think I'll give it a try and maybe add some chick peas to increase the protein.

chick peas would be a good addition, along with some more spices. I think the bay leaf gave it a rather odd flavor. I usually love curry and this one was off somehow. The sauce did need thickening, so yogurt would probably help. Definitely a sprinkle of fresh cilantro at the end - our herb garden is thriving with the exception of the cilantro this year, more's the pity!

carol1412

« Reply #6099 on: July 09, 2013, 12:37:03 PM »

If you try the Plain Vanilla Chicken, try letting it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Vanilla, brandy and chicken is a surprisingly good combination.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6100 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
I am going to make Key Lime cheesecake bars tonight too.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6101 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
Last night DH and I were unexpectedly kid-free, so we went out for sushi: edamame, miso soup and seaweed salad to start, then shared a sushi/sashimi  platter. Walked over to the frozen yogurt shop for dessert. :)

Tonight, it will be slow cooker eggplant curry with naan. Maybe some sliced cucumbers and avocado on the side.

Mind sharing the recipe? I'm always looking for more vegetable focused slow cooker recipes.

I'd be happy too, but honestly, this one was not a huge success. I got the recipe from our CSA newsletter and it was....missing something. Maybe someone here can offer suggestions for improvement:

1 medium eggplant, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 cup vegetable broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1T curry powder
1/2 T cumin
1 bay leaf
salt, pepper to taste
1/4 t cayenne (optional)

Combine in slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on low (I did 6)
What I see missing is extra virgin olive oil and garlic.  I would also caramelized the onions a bit first and throw in the spices with them to saute a little to release their aroma.   I always add chopped curly parsley and a couple of slices of lemon plus a little lemon juice. 
Here is how i make a curry sauce from a recipe I got from a guy who lived in India for some time:
1 T vegetable oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 medium white or red onion chopped
2 large cloves garlic, pressed
1 T dried mustard seeds
2 small dried red chilies, optional (or a little cayenne powder might substitute)
1 small carrot, shredded
1/2  tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp. each
ground thyme
ground marjoram
ground cumin
1  T of chili powder
2 T curry powder (I avoid ones that are salted)
3 thin slices of lemon
rest of the lemon's juice
1/2 to 1 cup chopped curly parsley leaves
2 cups veg or chicken broth

Heat oil in skillet and saute the onion until it caramelizes a little.
Add the mustard seeds (watch out because they pop around) and saute a little more.
add the carrot, garlic and the chilies and saute for a minute.  Remove chilies if you don't want it too spicy.
Push everything to one side and add the spices, saute for 30 or 40 seconds to release the aroma.
Add the parsley
Add the lemon slices, broth and lemon juice.
I might throw in some fresh ginger, too.
I bring it to a simmer and add the vegetables and cook until done.
We like this a lot, but make it on the stove top.   I don't know why someone couldn't make it in a slow cooker.  Maybe the lemons would not hold up and you might want to add them later or something. 
Anyway, for what it's worth...and now I know what I'm having for dinner. tonight.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:50:36 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

workerbee

« Reply #6102 on: July 09, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »
Oh, I forgot the garlic! (not in the dish, but I forgot to list it in the recipe....maybe I can go back and edit).

I definitely like your version better -- somehow I had a feeling that just dumping all the ingredients into the slow cooker was not going to be a success. From my understanding of Indian cuisine, it's really important to saute the spices first. It sort of takes the ease out of slow cooker cooking (when you're trying to get everything in the crock pot and get yourself and two kids out the door in the morning), but after last night's dinner I think it's a necessity. Sort of like browning a roast before putting it in the slow cooker (I've always found the look of non-browned meat rather unappetizing).

MissKoreanna

« Reply #6103 on: July 09, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »
Tonight will be spicy balsamic marinated chicken with onions, mushrooms, and grape tomatoes to make a yummy sauce, all served over mashed potatoes with broccoli on the side. 

I got a new job in my field today, so maybe something fancy for dessert.  I'm not sure yet!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6104 on: July 09, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »