Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 572519 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6255 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »
A bit of this, a bit of that, over the last few hours. A few pieces of baked tofu in apricot barbeque sauce, some roasted eggplant with marinara, fresh spinach with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of herbs, and now I'm munching on frozen watermelon while I watch Project Runway.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #6256 on: August 30, 2013, 06:24:48 AM »
Redcap Family Not Really Secret Recipe Chicken Wings.  8)

About a kilo of chicken wings, separated into the different joints (bony tips kept in the freezer for future stock making).
In a casserole dish, add garlic, every single herb you find in your spice rack that goes with chicken and you feel like putting in, a heaped tablespoon of brown sugar, a big splash of tomato sauce (er... tomato puree would be a better substitute than ketchup, I think), and a few grinds of pepper. Pour over worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and malt vinegar (I use about 1/5 worcestershire, 2/5 soy and 2/5 vinegar, but you can adjust to taste) until the wing pieces are barely covered.
Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

When you're ready to cook, put the whole dish (marinade and all) into the UN-PREHEATED oven, and set to 180 C. Walk away and ignore. About an hour and a half later, shift everything around with a spoon, put back in for about another hour. When fully cooked the meat should be nearly black and falling off the bone.

Serve with bread and a green salad. If you're me, you save the liquid and eat it later reheated and poured over bread. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6257 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »
I am going to be dining solo for the next two days. Lots of my vegetarian chili, pasta with chicken sausage and a garlic cream sauce and snack type food for me.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6258 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:38 AM »
Watermelon, cucumber, red onion and mozzarella salad, gin and tonics and frozen yogurt.

jmarvellous

« Reply #6259 on: August 31, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Leftover couscous, eggplant and other veggies with the addition of chickpeas with sesame oil and cumin.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6260 on: August 31, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
chili dogs  8)

POF

« Reply #6261 on: August 31, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
Boys are at lakehouse for the weekend ( I am home by myself !!! - best b-day present EVAH ! )  So I made a new recipe - Shrimp enchiladas.  To die for.

Having a Hershey Bar with Almonds for dessert ( my b-day weekend ! ) and leaving the dishes until the AM.  I am so wild and crazy  8)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6262 on: August 31, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
I went to a wedding and had spanikopita, mashed potatoes, salad, rolls, amazing carrot cake and champagne. I'm pretty sure I'm mostly vegetarian because I love carbs so much. Who's got room for meat when there's roasted garlic mashed potatoes?

greencat

« Reply #6263 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
I think I'm going to make corn-on-the-cob and herb mashed potatoes, but I haven't decided on a main yet.  I've got a freezer full of choices!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6264 on: September 01, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
Roasted eggplant and zucchini with spinach, mozzarella, and a  splash of good olive oil over pasta.

snowfire

« Reply #6265 on: September 01, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
Fajitas & molten chocolate cake for dessert.

jmarvellous

« Reply #6266 on: September 01, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
I made a big pot of vegetable soup with red potatoes, tomatoes, red onion, chickpeas, carrots, broccoli, peapods, and water chestnuts. I went with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (and garlic and pepper) just because I was thinking of the song.
We ate a little bit of lemon hummus with the soup crackers, too.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6267 on: September 03, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
A scoop of Mississippi mud ice cream from Baskin & Robbins. I love being a grown-up sometimes.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #6268 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »
Tuna noodle casserole tonight!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6269 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
Last night was pork cutlets and a salad of arugula, feta, and watermelon.  The salad was great.

Tonight is turkey and brussel sprout hash.