News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 06:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 1297435 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #8610 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Tonight is Texas straw hats with Fritos and baby carrots on the side. Either peppermint cookies or gumdrops for dessert.

So I had to look that up.  Is it really chili over fritos?  Sounds yummy!

It is!

Here's the recipe I used:

https://www.southernplate.com/texas-straw-hat-and-really-big-rabbits/
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #8611 on: December 28, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
A leftover roast is being turned into beef soup or cottage pie, depends on how it turns out.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ladyknight1

« Reply #8612 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »
Having my in-laws over.

Traditional black eyed peas and collard greens, both with salt pork. Smoked pork cushions, smoked brisket. We will have cornbread cooked in cast iron. We will also have a buttermilk Bundt cake with two sauces, a dark chocolate ganache and a spiced apple caramel. We have sparkling wine for toasting the new year.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GardenGal

« Reply #8613 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
Barley mushroom soup and large Greek salad. A month or so ago I started a new cooking routine.  I went through all my cut-out recipes and tossed anything that no longer appealed to me.  Then I organized them into folders (meat, veggies, dessert, etc.) and within each folder I clipped together similar recipes (tomatoes with onions, tomato salad, tomato casserole, etc.).  I already had my standard shopping list as a word document, organized by stores I usually shop in.  On one side, where there was still plenty of room, I listed the days of the week and left plenty of space after each day.  Now, over the weekend (or whenever I need to do a big shopping), I go through my recipes, find new things to try, and prepare my shopping list at the same time so I'm sure to have everything I need on hand.  When I make a new recipe I write in the date and comments, and put it at the back of the clipped together pages.  It had made cooking even more fun because every day I try something new and expand my range of techniques.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

ladyknight1

« Reply #8614 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:25 AM »
Tonight will be either taco soup or chili. It's in the 30s!
-J.R.R Tolkien

EmmaJ.

« Reply #8615 on: January 03, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
Tonight will be either taco soup or chili. It's in the 30s!

Yes, soup for me too!  I saved the ham bone from Christmas dinner and made split pea soup with ham, carrots, onions, and celery.  It's my absolute favorite. 

ladyknight1

« Reply #8616 on: January 03, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
We ended up with taco soup, a few more ingredients than chili, and a bit brothier.

Tomorrow night will be homemade ramen with chicken stock, 7 minute eggs, and vegetables.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Nuku

« Reply #8617 on: January 04, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
It will be below 0 for me tonight. And it will be leftover comfort food: skillet lasagna, green peas, butter pan rolls, and leftover Christmas cookies.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #8618 on: January 05, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »
Yesterday I had spicy ramen :)

ladyknight1

« Reply #8619 on: January 05, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »
Tonight will be roast pork, Parmesan zucchini sticks, asparagus and peppers. Probably bread.
-J.R.R Tolkien

PastryGoddess

« Reply #8620 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:08 PM »
Pesto chicken with quinoa and roasted veggies

GardenGal

« Reply #8621 on: January 05, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
Lemon thyme chicken, roast potatoes, Greek salad.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #8622 on: January 05, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
We’ve had multiple meals this week made mostly or entirely from things I grew in the garden.  ;D Stir-fried patty pan squash (awesome and now on our regular menu), roasted zucchini and gem squash with cheese, and a couple of lovely salads with rabbit ear lettuce, sorrel, purple beans and cherry tomatoes.  :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

« Reply #8623 on: January 06, 2018, 12:19:57 AM »
We’ve had multiple meals this week made mostly or entirely from things I grew in the garden.  ;D Stir-fried patty pan squash (awesome and now on our regular menu), roasted zucchini and gem squash with cheese, and a couple of lovely salads with rabbit ear lettuce, sorrel, purple beans and cherry tomatoes.  :-*

Excuse me ma'am *taps shoulder* are you reminding us that is SUMMER in the Southern Hemisphere when we are stuck in Freezmageddon (TM) here in the Northern Hemisphere? *gives librarian glare* AND *taps foot*

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #8624 on: January 06, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »

Excuse me ma'am *taps shoulder* are you reminding us that is SUMMER in the Southern Hemisphere when we are stuck in Freezmageddon (TM) here in the Northern Hemisphere? *gives librarian glare* AND *taps foot*

Ah, yes... yes, I believe I am.  :P :-* >:D. If it makes you feel any better, we’re having a bit of a heatwave right now and are sweating inside with the aircon and fans going?
"Set aphasia to stun!"