Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 574247 times)

jmarvellous

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #5865 on: April 30, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
Miso soup with a Thai twist (chilies, cilantro and peanuts). I was planning to make pad Thai but my firm tofu had gone ... bad. Weird. Sour. So I used the soft tofu and made soup instead.

We skipped dinner Sunday and had chips and salsa at a comedy club instead.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5866 on: April 30, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
Salad from a taqueria with spinach, black beans, peppers, onions, jicama, guacamole, a little cheese and lots and lots of their pico.

Amara

« Reply #5867 on: April 30, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Miso soup with a Thai twist (chilies, cilantro and peanuts).

Oh, would you be willing to share your recipe with us in the Recipes thread? Pretty please?

jmarvellous

« Reply #5868 on: April 30, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Miso soup with a Thai twist (chilies, cilantro and peanuts).

Oh, would you be willing to share your recipe with us in the Recipes thread? Pretty please?

Thanks for asking, but I really did just wing it. No recipe, but I softened half an onion in olive oil, added celery and garlic and a diced dried chili, then some vegetable broth, small cubes of soft tofu,soaked rice noodles, and the water the noodles soaked in, then some miso paste once it hit a boil, and peanuts (crushed) and fresh cilantro after it cooked a bit. Oh, and a generous splash of lime juice or two, and a hint of soy sauce because I overdid it on the water and needed some more depth of flavor.

Ginger G

« Reply #5869 on: April 30, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
Baked eggplant stuffed with ground turkey, orzo, tomato sauce and feta cheese, salad & garlic bread.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5870 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Salmon grilled with orange ginger sauce, sesame noodles and pan-seared spinach with garlic and oil. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5871 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
Homemade beef pot pie, sugar free chocolate-almond cake with fresh chocolate-cinnamon whipped cream.

Oh that sounds divine!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5872 on: May 02, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
Cheese grits, chicken tenders and seared zucchini.

kckgirl

« Reply #5873 on: May 02, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
Turkey cheddar burgers, mac & cheese, green beans. Sliced strawberries & bananas for dessert.
Maryland

jmarvellous

« Reply #5874 on: May 02, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
Enchilada casserole -- I tried to make enchiladas but my tortillas were cracking, so I lined the pan with tortillas coated with enchilada sauce, added enchilada filling (red pepper, onions, carrots, pinto beans, spinach, garlic, spices, and some salsa) and topped with torn, sauce-soaked tortillas and served with fresh cilantro. Mmmm.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5875 on: May 02, 2013, 11:41:19 PM »
Spicy fish tacos and sangria

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5876 on: May 03, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »
Homemade beef pot pie, sugar free chocolate-almond cake with fresh chocolate-cinnamon whipped cream.

I should know better than to read this thread before lunch- yummy!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Amara

« Reply #5877 on: May 03, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »
Last night was a bowl of my homemade chicken and vegetable soup (thawed) and a slice of freshly baked Garden Bread (with vegetables). Umm!

Tonight, because today is my last day of unemployment before retirement--I am celebrating the start of a new job after more than a year of unemployment and I am thrilled to be going back--I plan to open a bottle of champagne and enjoy some crab cakes with a steamed artichoke, a green salad and perhaps a small key lime tart from Whole Foods. I think I will pick up some of the Prenzy ranch spices and buttermilk too because Ms_Cellany made her salad dressing sound oh-so-good!

Finally, tomorrow night I think I am going to try a variation of the Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps found in my e-mail box this morning, but use my favorite Smart Ground, a soy ground beef product. I'll add steamed corn on the cob and a green salad to that.

Lettuce Wraps: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/turkey-taco-lettuce-wraps-3-pts.html

Smart Ground: http://www.lightlife.com/Vegan-Food-Vegetarian-Diet/Smart-Grounds-Original

geekette

« Reply #5878 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:06 AM »
Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:53:55 AM by geekette »

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5879 on: May 11, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)

Oh no!  I'm torn between deep sympathy and hysterical laughter.  Please tell us how.  There must be story behing that!