Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 565914 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #5880 on: May 11, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)

What is 'cat mince' ?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5881 on: May 11, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
Cat food.

I had a monster ribeye sandwich (ribeye steak, sliced thin, cooked with onions and mushrooms).

geekette

« Reply #5882 on: May 11, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »
Take out pizza.
Because the home-made lasagna I was promised for my belated birthday celebration with my family was made with cat mince.   :'(

(Menopause has not been kind to my mother.)

Oh no!  I'm torn between deep sympathy and hysterical laughter.  Please tell us how.  There must be story behing that!

There's not really any story I know of. Mum promised to make me her lasagna, since its my favorite food, but 10 minutes after it had been put into the oven Geek-bro checked the fridge and found a packet of human mince defrosting, and an empty packet of cat mince on the bench. He checked the trash and couldn't find any other packets, did a smell-test of the mince pan and confirmed it did not smell like the mince mum cooks.
Then dad decided to finish cooking the lasagna, so the pasta sheets would be soft enough to feed it to the cats, and ordered pizza instead.

Amara

« Reply #5883 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
Was very relieved to read what cat mince actually is.  :P

I am making some lovely dinner rolls and the dough is rising now. For the main course I think I will make the simple salmon cakes (similar to crab cakes) that my mom used to make. A green salad will complete the meal. To drink: some Portuguese wine that I think of as very summery--Vinho Verde, green and lightly effervescent.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5884 on: May 11, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
I made a vegetarian version of the Americanized Chinese beef and broccoli.

I looked up the dish online because we had these Gardein "Beef Tips" I wanted to use, and the standard sauce with real beef always seems to use oyster sauce. I made a pretty acceptable (better? we thought so) substitute with fresh garlic, soy sauce, balsamic and red wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili sauce, sesame seeds, a bit of honey and a little cornstarch to thicken. And I thought we had broccoli, but it was a frozen "broccoli Normandy" blend with cauliflower and carrots; loads of well-softened onion rounded out the dish, served atop brown rice.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5885 on: May 12, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
Last night was a bowl of my homemade chicken and vegetable soup (thawed) and a slice of freshly baked Garden Bread (with vegetables). Umm!

Tonight, because today is my last day of unemployment before retirement--I am celebrating the start of a new job after more than a year of unemployment and I am thrilled to be going back--I plan to open a bottle of champagne and enjoy some crab cakes with a steamed artichoke, a green salad and perhaps a small key lime tart from Whole Foods. I think I will pick up some of the Prenzy ranch spices and buttermilk too because Ms_Cellany made her salad dressing sound oh-so-good!

Finally, tomorrow night I think I am going to try a variation of the Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps found in my e-mail box this morning, but use my favorite Smart Ground, a soy ground beef product. I'll add steamed corn on the cob and a green salad to that.

Lettuce Wraps: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/04/turkey-taco-lettuce-wraps-3-pts.html

Smart Ground: http://www.lightlife.com/Vegan-Food-Vegetarian-Diet/Smart-Grounds-Original

Congrats on the new job!

I went to bridal shower this afternoon and had fruit, a variety of salads, tiny cheese sandwiches, cookies, cake and champagne.

Amara

« Reply #5886 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »
Thank you, mbbored. I just finished my first week.

cattlekid

« Reply #5887 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »
Last night was pulled barbecue beef in the crock pot, with a side of coleslaw and pickles. 

Since today is going to be the coolest day this week, I am going to make chicken pot pie soup.  The weather here in Chicago is so erratic that it's going to be 20 degrees warmer tomorrow than it is today.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5888 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Stir-fried chicken with sweet chili sauce, cabbage, vegetables, and jasmine rice. Yum.

Amara

« Reply #5889 on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
I envy you the weather there, cattlekid. I drove to LA to see Mom yesterday and it hit 102 degrees. I do not do well in heat so unfortunately, I didn't eat more than a few bites of my favorite shrimp soup at the Mexican restaurant. Neither did I eat dinner when I got home, still feeling ill. This morning I forced some breakfast down, and am hoping I feel good enough to eat dinner tonight: salmon cakes, green salad, ice-cold milk, and an ear of corn (the only hot thing planned).

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5890 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
To it is the pies I made last night, as I make the small pies four at a time. Chicken, ham and potato. I made the filling two weeks ago, them froze what I didn't use. Pies weren't like the first one I made, but were pretty good.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #5891 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
"Grown up" grilled cheese: I went with swiss on rye with tomatoes, onions & hot peppers.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5892 on: May 14, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
Chickpeas with dill and thyme over whole wheat couscous with green beans and carrots with butter and mint.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5893 on: May 14, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
Chicken piccata with linguine and spinach.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5894 on: May 15, 2013, 03:24:50 AM »
Ravioli in mushroom cream sauce.

DH was a little hesitant to have ravioli, but I suggested we get some from the providers before we give it up altogether.

And he loved it!