Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 525433 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6150 on: July 21, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Chinese take out after an insane weekend and before a busy week. I had steamed tofu and veggies and vegetable fried rice.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6151 on: July 22, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
We are making ricotta tonight, then lasagna with the fresh ricotta, spinach, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers and mushrooms.

I made cheesecake brownies yesterday.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6152 on: July 22, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
Tonights crawfish etouffee at DS's request. It's so quick to put together, I'm not sure why I don't make it more often.

Jessie

« Reply #6153 on: July 22, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
We are making ricotta tonight, then lasagna with the fresh ricotta, spinach, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers and mushrooms.

I made cheesecake brownies yesterday.

Oooooo can you share the brownie recipe? They look nommy.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6154 on: July 22, 2013, 09:15:29 PM »
Cheesecake Brownies (the quick and dirty way)

Cheesecake batter -
1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
Dash of vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese until fluffy, then add each additional ingredient until well mixed.

Brownie batter - Use your favorite recipe or a mix - for a 9 x 13" pan

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix brownie mix according to instructions. Spray pan with cooking spray. Pour in brownie batter. Spoon cheesecake batter on top, then swirl using a flat metal spatula or butter knife. Bake according to brownie recipe instructions, check every five minutes after as they take a little longer with the cheesecake topping. Enjoy!

Cutenoob

« Reply #6155 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:55 AM »
Baked Zucchini with Pepsi Max, so healthy.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6156 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
I made Texas caviar for the first time (minus the corn) and it was delicious! I served it over a green salad for a nice light dinner.

Jessie

« Reply #6157 on: July 23, 2013, 02:44:28 AM »
Cheesecake Brownies (the quick and dirty way)

Cheesecake batter -
1 8oz block cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
Dash of vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese until fluffy, then add each additional ingredient until well mixed.

Brownie batter - Use your favorite recipe or a mix - for a 9 x 13" pan

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix brownie mix according to instructions. Spray pan with cooking spray. Pour in brownie batter. Spoon cheesecake batter on top, then swirl using a flat metal spatula or butter knife. Bake according to brownie recipe instructions, check every five minutes after as they take a little longer with the cheesecake topping. Enjoy!

Thanks!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6158 on: July 30, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »
I've reached the point of constantly stress eating, so I stocked up on lots of healthy food: grapes, carrots, whole grain seedy crackers, hummus, plain greek yogurt. As a result, I've been eating all day but I wanted something different to say "dinner."

With all that preamble, I'm having a green salad with goat cheese, good olive oil, sea salt with edible flowers and a nice glass of Cabernet.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6159 on: July 31, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
Beef Stroganoff using Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. 

Curiosity question.  How many of you use tomato (sauce, soup, etc.) in your stroganoff?  We never did and it always throws me off when I see a recipe for some type of tomato.

I don't- that sounds like an odd combination to me.

Yesterday was a salmon pancake, green salad, bread and a banana. Today is potato soup, cheddar cheese, a roll and fresh peaches.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6160 on: July 31, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
America's Test Kitchen (ATK) often recommends a small amount of tomato paste in saute dishes like Stroganoff to help build flavor and fond for the sauce. You can buy it in squeezy tubes like toothpaste. Tomato adds flavor in small amounts without making the dish taste like tomatoes.

So, Monday was beef Stroganoff with egg noodles and potato rolls.
Tuesday was tilapia with wilted spinach and blueberries for dessert.
Tonight is cheesesteak subs with tater tots.

LibraryLady

« Reply #6161 on: August 01, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
I was flicking through this thread and I thought she wrote GIRDLED corn    ;D   I have images of ears of corn, all with tiny little girdles on!!!!

Tonight I'm making pulled pork to be served in rolls with bbq sauce, coleslaw and griddled corn on the cob.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6162 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »
This afternoon I met up for lunch with a friend who loves food as much I do. We went to a Vietnamese place and split two types of salad rolls and stir fried tofu and veggies over noodles with lemongrass garlic sauce.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6163 on: August 01, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »
Today was errands day, including a major grocery restocking. When I got home I had 8lbs of stew meat/fajita slices to cut up and portion out, 3 pkg of chicken to repack/portion and a big pork butt roast to quarter, marinade and freeze.

Since I didn't really feel like doing all that and still cook, I threw a frozen lasagna in the oven. Though I was good and made a caprese salad to go along with it. And by the time I was done prepping the meat, the lasagna had just enough time left to throw a pie in. So I grabbed the blueberries and a frozen pie crust.

So we ended up with Lasagna, caprese salad, garlic bread and blueberry pie for dessert. I just wish I still had some lemon zest for the pie. I used my lemons yesterday :(
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6164 on: August 02, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
Smoked sardines over a chopped salad and blueberry pie for dessert.