Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 566060 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6315 on: September 18, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Chicken pies, we have some chicken left over when I made pizza and it has to be used.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6316 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Ratatouille with a generous handful of fresh spinach. It was absolutely amazing but that could also be the fact that I've been hungry since 4 but didn't get a chance to sit down and eat until almost 9.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #6317 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
Mom helped me trouble shoot the seafood recipe I posted. Increase shrimp to a full pound. That should help make it more filling.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6318 on: September 19, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Take out as we have a meeting.

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #6319 on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:13 PM »
Husband is having lasagna (whether he wants it or not) - I'm probably going to graze.  I did note that we had a few more fresh tomatoes on the counter this morning - hmmm - and I have some parmesan, and I have breadcrumbs, and I have balsamic vinegar - maybe I'll bake some tomato slices for myself!  That sounds pretty good - and on a prep scale of 1 -10 about a 1.5.  I'm all about the "easy". :D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6320 on: September 20, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
Tarbot in en papillote with a lemon, olive, caper topping and mushroom and zuchinni saute.

Amara

« Reply #6321 on: September 20, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
Vegetarian tacos, big green salad, corn on the cob.

Will also be starting a crockpot of Chicken Taco Chili that I found on SkinnyTaste. It looks soooo good! I am undecided as to whether to let it run overnight--10 hours on low--or six on high and so for tomorrow morning.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6322 on: September 20, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »
Tonight is burgers topped with caramelized onions, stinky cheese and served with oven tator tots.

I would only cook the chili tomorrow, Amara. I think starting it on high, then turning it down keeps any chance of scorching at bay, but that is with my crock pot.

Amara

« Reply #6323 on: September 20, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
Good point. Right now, though I am leaning towards the 10-hour run, meaning I am going to wake up to some delicious smells! I can hardly finish work right now 'cause I am working hard to keep my drooling in check.  ;)

jmarvellous

« Reply #6324 on: September 20, 2013, 06:58:05 PM »
We had a 2 o'clock "lunch" at a Mongolian barbecue-type place for free thanks to the aforementioned gift certificates won by the husband. We both opted for spicy/gingery stir fries with udon noodles, and small salads.
Then a nap because we had so much work all week and so much good food in our bellies.
... And now, I'm way behind with my schoolwork.  :P

We will probably have a snack later, but nothing too heavy.

norrina

« Reply #6325 on: September 20, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
I guess I'm pretty stingy with my fillings! Sorry about that.
For as much as seafood cost, I don't blame you! And it was delicious, don't get me wrong, and it turned out so rich that more filling would have actually been too much.  I still might cut down on the sauce next time, since mine was so soupy, but after realizing that a little goes a long way I probably won't end up increasing the filling after all.

ETA: Saw your post about increasing the shrimp after I posted, and that does sound like a good way to balance the filling to sauce ratios, and without increasing the cost or fishiness too much. I'll try that next time, and thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:20:47 PM by norrina »

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #6326 on: September 20, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Cheese ravioli with shrimp in an alfredo-type sauce, roasted broccoli, roasted mushrooms, roasted onions and garlic bread. Leftover birthday cake (no frosting) for dessert. I ate way too much garlic bread and too many roasted vegetables, but it was worth it.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #6327 on: September 20, 2013, 08:47:59 PM »
I guess I'm pretty stingy with my fillings! Sorry about that.
For as much as seafood cost, I don't blame you! And it was delicious, don't get me wrong, and it turned out so rich that more filling would have actually been too much.  I still might cut down on the sauce next time, since mine was so soupy, but after realizing that a little goes a long way I probably won't end up increasing the filling after all.

ETA: Saw your post about increasing the shrimp after I posted, and that does sound like a good way to balance the filling to sauce ratios, and without increasing the cost or fishiness too much. I'll try that next time, and thanks for the tip!

For what it's worth, I have a ton of the sauce left too! DH has been eating it with chips.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6328 on: September 21, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
I made pasta and salad for thirty people and most of them wanted my recipe by the end. We also had an array of salads (mmm, massaged kale salad and roasted brussel sprouts) and desserts (homemade apple and lemon merengue pies!). And now I'm exhausted and smell strongly of garlic and onions.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6329 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »
Last night was La Madeline's french onion soup and caesar salad, with sacher torte for dessert. I had a coupon for the salad and dessert, so I dined on the cheap. *g*
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls