Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 574600 times)

jmarvellous

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6435 on: October 09, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
Taco pie -- black beans,  onions,  tomatoes, corn and spinach with taco seasoning,  topped with cornbread.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6436 on: October 10, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
Chicken Cordon Bleu, mashed sweet potatoes, spinach, grape tomatoes.

POF

« Reply #6437 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
Grilled Chicken waldorf style salad ( apple walnuts bleu cheese and chicken on lettuce with sour cream type dressing )

Roasted cauliflower

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #6438 on: October 10, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
Italian Beef Sandwiches in honor of the game tonight.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6439 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
Peanut butter sandwich with a side of chips and salsa.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6440 on: October 11, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
As long as you have a heavy aluminum or stainless steel skillet without non-stick coating, it should work fine.

I have one... its just... very old. And getting anything out of it without it sticking usually ends in tears.

After reading this blog on the chemistry of cast-iron seasoning, I'm a big fan of her method of flaxseed-oil seasoning. The only caveat is it's pretty smoky, so be sure to run your fan. (I use the grill outside to do it.)
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6441 on: October 12, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »
As long as you have a heavy aluminum or stainless steel skillet without non-stick coating, it should work fine.

I have one... its just... very old. And getting anything out of it without it sticking usually ends in tears.

After reading this blog on the chemistry of cast-iron seasoning, I'm a big fan of her method of flaxseed-oil seasoning. The only caveat is it's pretty smoky, so be sure to run your fan. (I use the grill outside to do it.)

sorry i wasn't clear. I meant I have an old stainless steel skillet.. it is so roughed up that even with oil most things stick. It has been designated our fried wonton pan.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6442 on: October 13, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »
Yesterday we went food shopping. We bought a 9 (yes, 9!) lb sirloin tip roast and 7lbs of pork chops. So lots of batch cooking happening today.

3 lbs of the beef roast are going into Carne de Chile Colorado. http://www.latina.com/food/recipes/aaron-sanchez-chile-colorado-sauce#axzz2hWylVymU Which will be served over rice and/or with tortillas.
4 lbs of the pork chops are being cured and smoked to be eaten later in the week.
6 lbs of the beef roast is being smoked and shredded. Half as barbecue, half for tacos and enchiladas.

I am making a hot crab dip and a large pan of macaroni and cheese as well.

Tonight's dinner will be smoked beef roast, roasted acorn squash, sauteed spinach and mushrooms and pumpkin cake.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6443 on: October 13, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm enjoying some butternut squash soup while my tomato jam cooks on my stove. I need to come up with something awesome for dinner to enjoy this stuff.

greencat

« Reply #6444 on: October 13, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
I ended up making avocado deviled eggs earlier.  I should probably eat something else...but I don't feel like cooking.

jmarvellous

« Reply #6445 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Wild mushroom soup with a Parmesan crisp, and crostini with ricotta, wildflower honey and truffle oil, and a glass of Sancerre,  and a churro with chocolate and vanilla dipping sauces, a ginger-strawberry margarita, and some green apple cotton candy with pop rocks for dessert.
Some very generous friends from waaaay back were in town and treating us quite right!

123sandy

« Reply #6446 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
It feels like a soup and sandwich night.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #6447 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
Tuna noodle casserole.

greencat

« Reply #6448 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
I will be making spaghetti sauce tonight - I can't go back to the jarred stuff.   I admit to cheating and using no-salt-added canned whole plum tomatoes though - it keeps the cost down to be about the same as the jarred stuff (they were BOGO last week!)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6449 on: October 14, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
I'm making a marinara for dinner too.