News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 31, 2015, 02:16:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 624100 times)

jmarvellous

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6435 on: October 09, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
Taco pie -- black beans,  onions,  tomatoes, corn and spinach with taco seasoning,  topped with cornbread.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6436 on: October 10, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »
Chicken Cordon Bleu, mashed sweet potatoes, spinach, grape tomatoes.

POF

« Reply #6437 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
Grilled Chicken waldorf style salad ( apple walnuts bleu cheese and chicken on lettuce with sour cream type dressing )

Roasted cauliflower

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #6438 on: October 10, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
Italian Beef Sandwiches in honor of the game tonight.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6439 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
Peanut butter sandwich with a side of chips and salsa.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6440 on: October 11, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
As long as you have a heavy aluminum or stainless steel skillet without non-stick coating, it should work fine.

I have one... its just... very old. And getting anything out of it without it sticking usually ends in tears.

After reading this blog on the chemistry of cast-iron seasoning, I'm a big fan of her method of flaxseed-oil seasoning. The only caveat is it's pretty smoky, so be sure to run your fan. (I use the grill outside to do it.)
It is the policy of the United States Navy to neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons aboard its vessels.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6441 on: October 12, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »
As long as you have a heavy aluminum or stainless steel skillet without non-stick coating, it should work fine.

I have one... its just... very old. And getting anything out of it without it sticking usually ends in tears.

After reading this blog on the chemistry of cast-iron seasoning, I'm a big fan of her method of flaxseed-oil seasoning. The only caveat is it's pretty smoky, so be sure to run your fan. (I use the grill outside to do it.)

sorry i wasn't clear. I meant I have an old stainless steel skillet.. it is so roughed up that even with oil most things stick. It has been designated our fried wonton pan.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6442 on: October 13, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »
Yesterday we went food shopping. We bought a 9 (yes, 9!) lb sirloin tip roast and 7lbs of pork chops. So lots of batch cooking happening today.

3 lbs of the beef roast are going into Carne de Chile Colorado. http://www.latina.com/food/recipes/aaron-sanchez-chile-colorado-sauce#axzz2hWylVymU Which will be served over rice and/or with tortillas.
4 lbs of the pork chops are being cured and smoked to be eaten later in the week.
6 lbs of the beef roast is being smoked and shredded. Half as barbecue, half for tacos and enchiladas.

I am making a hot crab dip and a large pan of macaroni and cheese as well.

Tonight's dinner will be smoked beef roast, roasted acorn squash, sauteed spinach and mushrooms and pumpkin cake.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6443 on: October 13, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm enjoying some butternut squash soup while my tomato jam cooks on my stove. I need to come up with something awesome for dinner to enjoy this stuff.

greencat

« Reply #6444 on: October 13, 2013, 09:54:34 PM »
I ended up making avocado deviled eggs earlier.  I should probably eat something else...but I don't feel like cooking.

jmarvellous

« Reply #6445 on: October 14, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Wild mushroom soup with a Parmesan crisp, and crostini with ricotta, wildflower honey and truffle oil, and a glass of Sancerre,  and a churro with chocolate and vanilla dipping sauces, a ginger-strawberry margarita, and some green apple cotton candy with pop rocks for dessert.
Some very generous friends from waaaay back were in town and treating us quite right!

123sandy

« Reply #6446 on: October 14, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
It feels like a soup and sandwich night.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #6447 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
Tuna noodle casserole.

greencat

« Reply #6448 on: October 14, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
I will be making spaghetti sauce tonight - I can't go back to the jarred stuff.   I admit to cheating and using no-salt-added canned whole plum tomatoes though - it keeps the cost down to be about the same as the jarred stuff (they were BOGO last week!)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6449 on: October 14, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
I'm making a marinara for dinner too.