Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 587249 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #6765 on: January 11, 2014, 05:40:40 AM »
I made chili. It would seem that my mind wandered when it was time to add the chili powder. I think there will be a few trips to the tap tonight  :o

That's not as bad as what happened once when I was a kid. Mom decided to make chili that day and I spent the entire school day looking forward to it.

Come home, mom looks at me "I ruined the chili."

O.o "How did you do that?!" (naive me at the time, how the heck do you ruin chili?!)

My neighbor, grinning like a loon: She put cinnamon in it.

Yes folks, she had mistaken the cinnamon for the chili powder ( they were in the same type of container)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6766 on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
I made chili. It would seem that my mind wandered when it was time to add the chili powder. I think there will be a few trips to the tap tonight  :o

That's not as bad as what happened once when I was a kid. Mom decided to make chili that day and I spent the entire school day looking forward to it.

Come home, mom looks at me "I ruined the chili."

O.o "How did you do that?!" (naive me at the time, how the heck do you ruin chili?!)

My neighbor, grinning like a loon: She put cinnamon in it.

Yes folks, she had mistaken the cinnamon for the chili powder ( they were in the same type of container)

I've done that a couple of times but got myself in time to spoon out most of it. My spices are alphabetized and the two are next to each other and same color. So I've renamed my chili powders by type, Ancho, New Mexico, Arbol....

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6767 on: January 13, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
Continuing with the theme, I am making chili. I can eat a bit before my 3 hour lab and a lot after.  :D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6768 on: January 13, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
It's mom's birthday. I am making mac n cheese, and flan for dessert. I will also make mom green beans.

Also, question ehellions. Any idea what to serve over a creamy style polenta?

lorelai

« Reply #6769 on: January 13, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
It's mom's birthday. I am making mac n cheese, and flan for dessert. I will also make mom green beans.

I will often sauté some brussel sprouts over polenta, or grill some chicken and do a tomato/white-wine based sauce to go with it.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6770 on: January 13, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »

I like sausage on mine

jmarvellous

« Reply #6771 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
I like tomatoes and white beans and basil and parmesan with polenta (but I'd prefer to skip the polenta).

Tonight is garlicky couscous and leftover refried black beans. Took me as long to "make" dinner as it did to make my tea.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6772 on: January 13, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
Hummus crusted chicken on a bed of roasted veggies
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6773 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:12 PM »

I didn't have any polenta so I made cheese grits and barbequed sausage instead.  It was Deeee-vine.  Thanks Nikko-chan for the inspiration

Tell me more about coating chicken in hummus  :D

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #6774 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »

It's something I found on Pinterest . And it's delicious. I use a roasted garlic hummus and sometimes throw a few peeled cloves of garlic in with the veggies. I also add to the veggies, usually mushrooms, red/yellow/orange peppers, sometimes olives, and even tomatoes once or twice. It's really, really good, and it's easy to change it up.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

greencat

« Reply #6775 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
I had a nice lobster tail.  I discovered in the process that the presence of lobster flips a switch in my tiny and adorable kitten that turns her from her usual adorable, gentle, cuddly self into an insane and vicious beast.  I'm glad she's still pretty tiny - she might have actually hurt me if she was a little bit bigger!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #6776 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
Mixed baby greens with roasted sunchokes, sustainable canned salmon and a lemon mustard dressing.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6777 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »

I didn't have any polenta so I made cheese grits and barbequed sausage instead.  It was Deeee-vine.  Thanks Nikko-chan for the inspiration

No problem PastryGoddess, I live to serve :)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6778 on: January 14, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
Tonight is chicken curry soup.

123sandy

« Reply #6779 on: January 14, 2014, 12:44:22 PM »
Pork chops and tarted up Mac and cheese.