Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 558258 times)

Buffy2424

Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »
Oh, weekends are so good for those snacky meals.  Our Friday nights are very snacky.  We stay in and almost always make either pizza or quesadillas. 

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
Last night we had Taco Bell...not my favorite but they have these new low fat chicken fresco soft tacos which are pretty good.  Tonight we're having some friends over and making hot dogs/hamburgers/homemade french fries and probably brownies for dessert.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »
Last night we had Taco Bell...not my favorite but they have these new low fat chicken fresco soft tacos which are pretty good.  Tonight we're having some friends over and making hot dogs/hamburgers/homemade french fries and probably brownies for dessert.

Oh! Homemade french fries. Maybe I'll do that too.

I've been trying to come up with some stuff to do that doesn't require my oven - the oven repair man came on Friday, and to make a long story short, we're just going to have to get a new one. After we choose one, it will probably take 10 days to 2 weeks for delivery. My stove top works fine, though. And we have a grill and a fondue pot and a deep fryer....  ;D

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
I use lots of rosemary and garlic on mine with some sea salt and a touch of olive oil because I usually bake them instead of frying....I think BF could eat them 5 times a week...lol.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 01:26:10 PM »
I use lots of rosemary and garlic on mine with some sea salt and a touch of olive oil because I usually bake them instead of frying....I think BF could eat them 5 times a week...lol.

I think I would prefer to bake them as well, but with the oven out of commission, I'll have to fry them. You've really got the idea in my head now, so it might be time to go cut up some potatoes.  ;D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 09:47:33 PM »
I did wind up peeling and cutting potatoes, but instead of french fries, I made a bathtub of potato salad (5 lb of potatoes, a dozen eggs...)

We'll have potato salad for a while!

For supper tonight, we had grilled pork steaks with a sesame/soy/ginger/garlic marinade (it was delicious!), sweet corn and carrots, and potato salad. For dessert, we had chocolate pudding and egg creams. I used the back-of-the-spoon method to pour the seltzer into the glasses for the egg creams; it worked beautifully. We had nice thick foamy top layers.

I am quite full!

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
Tonight, we're having rabbit, potatoes au gratin and a vegetable to be determined on my next ride into town.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »
For tonight: We have beef steaks to put on the grill, plus the potato salad I made yesterday. I think I'll make up some vegetable packets for the grill too (zucchini, yellow squash, sweet onion, maybe some pepper strips, salt & pepper, olive oil). I have to do a dessert that can be made on the stove top, so I might haul out my Betty Crocker recipe for blanc mange and serve that with some berries on the side.

Mikayla

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »
It's just me and DH today, so nothing special.  I've been craving corn pudding so we're having that plus a Greek salad, homemade pumpernickel raisin bread and pina colada smoothies.  Oh and some roasted tiny red potatoes with rosemary.  He may grill a hot dog or something for himself.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
Well, we just finished up our traditional and simple small family Memorial Day bbq . . .

Grilled hotdogs, bratwursts, and Italian sausages
Potato salad
Pasta salad
Corn relish salad
Marinated broccoli
Pork & beans
Southern style sweet tea

Dessert was a watermelon.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
I have the cold of death and doom at the moment (yes I am being a baby) so DH is making me a burger with cheese and bacon and a giant pretzel with salt for dinner :)

McCutieBelle

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 06:43:59 PM »
I had grilled chicken with black bean and mango salsa, tabouleh, hummus, veg and german rye bread. For dessert I had Kashi Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies and a glass of wine...now my stomach hurts but it was all so good!
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

Buffy2424

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
We didn't do something special for dinner on Memorial Day.  DH was researching at home and took a break to have dinner on the back porch with me ...  Pinot grigio, Morningstar black bean burgers with the fixings, Gazpacho and Lemon bars that I baked for dessert. 

The gazpacho is an old favorite of mine -- cold, tri-colored pasta salad sauce with a sauce made of olive oil, lime juice, tomato juice and garlic sauce.

I think I am going to marinate some Greek chicken for tonight (chicken breasts in oil, lemon and oregano, cooked/served with onion and lemon).  I got the idea from someone on here, when I first got into eating and making chicken again.  ETA: With garlic-y green beans (again) & cubed baked potato with rosemary.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:30:49 AM by Buffy2424 »

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »
No idea what I'm doing tonight. Mr. F is going to go help his friend hang drywall again, and the kids and I are going to Jane's Scout troop's end-of-year Court Of Awards, which starts at 6:30.

I was going to bake something to bring along to Scouts, but with my oven out of commission, I'll have to come up with something else. I don't want to do cheese/crackers/veggie tray, because other moms have already got that department covered. Any ideas, outside of buying cookies at the bakery?

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
Goldfish in a Pond Rice Cakes! I loved those things... :P

Tonight we;re having Greek Chicken Pasta. I have about 3 dishes that I actually make well and have memorized and this is one of them. DF can't get enough of it. :)
Wherever you go.... there you are.