Author Topic: What's for Dinner?  (Read 586835 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: What's for Dinner?
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:58 PM »
I don't know about dinner, but I do have two pounds of strawberries, so I'm making shortcake. Maybe that will be dinner.

A quote for you, directly from one of my many vintage cookbooks, this one a supper recommendation from Betty Crocker Bisquick handbook published in 1964:

At the height of the summer season, make a whole meal of crusty-tender golden shortcake, served warm and generously buttered, then heaped with fresh slices of peaches or strawberries. Pass a pitcher of cream or a bowl of sweetened whipped cream, and serve with steaming hot, good coffee. Let your family eat their fill - good enough for company too.

There you have it, in black and white. Approval to have strawberry shortcake for supper.  :D

Flannery

« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Tonight we'll grill brats. I don't know what our sides will be because I haven't been to the grocery store yet.

ETA sides: baked beans with bacon, basil/pea/macaroni salad, potato chips, pickles, and homemade peach cobbler for dessert. It will be Mr. F and me, the little kids, Kayla and Keven, and Kayla's friend and her boyfriend. This is Kayla and Keven's last night in town. They have to be at the airport by six tomorrow morning.

Oh yum... the bolded part gives me delicious ideas :)

Tonight we are having:

Hummus with pita and carrots

Chicken with a garlic/lemon/dill/wine/butter sauce
Zucchini fritters with greek yogurt
Orzo salad with olives, tomatoes, and whatever else I decide to throw in there

Honeyed chocolate mousse with cardamom whipped cream

I'm being fancy because we're having guests ;D

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »
Oooh, Cathy, I did not need to read that.

We grilled burgers last night and I threw some chicken breasts on the grill as well, with some Penzey's 4S seasoning (yummy stuff!) to heat up tonight. Grilled burgers tend to reheat well, but I've never reheated grilled chicken breasts, so we'll see - this might become a tradition. I'll bake some potatoes and heat some peas, or maybe a green salad.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »
cardamom whipped cream

And that gives ME ideas...that sounds like just the thing to top the peach cobbler. I'm a big fan of cardamom.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2008, 12:53:34 PM »
I don't know about dinner, but I do have two pounds of strawberries, so I'm making shortcake. Maybe that will be dinner.

A quote for you, directly from one of my many vintage cookbooks, this one a supper recommendation from Betty Crocker Bisquick handbook published in 1964:

At the height of the summer season, make a whole meal of crusty-tender golden shortcake, served warm and generously buttered, then heaped with fresh slices of peaches or strawberries. Pass a pitcher of cream or a bowl of sweetened whipped cream, and serve with steaming hot, good coffee. Let your family eat their fill - good enough for company too.

There you have it, in black and white. Approval to have strawberry shortcake for supper.  :D

That is absolutely all the motivation I need....

Cathy, I think you're my new BFF!!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2008, 12:55:58 PM »

Cathy, I think you're my new BFF!!

Glad to be of service!   :D

alecmari

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Fried chicken (dipped in flour and fried in a little olive oil), corn on the cob, and a garden salad (greens, peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and blue cheese with Italian dressing). 

I'm tossing around the idea of making rice but I really don't think we need it with the corn.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2008, 03:38:52 PM »
We had Indian takeout last night (naan...drooool)

Tonight I'm doing my weekly dinner w. girlfriends, not sure what the BF is up to.

Tomorrow we're doing steak fajitas because we have 2 avocados we need to use up, and steak in the freezer...plus weight watcher pitas that we can split and use instead of tortillas.

momof2weenies

• (3 weenies now!)
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
We got a FoodSaver as a shower gift & I think it's the best thing ever.  (I told DH, "you have your toys and I have mine")  I spent an entire Saturday trying my hand at once-a-month-cooking (who knew?) and it's been very nice to just have to defrost & heat, without all the prep work, after we get home.  Tonight, we're having Dijon chicken with some sort of side dish - probably green beans, as they're one of the few veggies DH likes, and I've learned a number of ways to prepare them!
"Dachshunds are like potato chips. You can never have just one."

ch1pch0p

« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
Is no one eating dinner tonight?

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2008, 02:28:31 PM »
I suppose we'll need to make dinner, but I am so not feeling inspired. Tonight might be a sandhwich and salad night. And since we have only roast turkey for cold cuts it'll be that.

Mmmm turkey :)

ch1pch0p

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
That might be me, too. I'm trying to figure out something else, but nothing's coming to mind.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »
I have a pork tenderloin marinating in Italian dressing.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »
I am having leftovers from last night...

Ciabatta bun, roasted chicken red peppers and onions, brie cheese and yummy thai sauce... toast'n'serve...

It's only lunch time and already I'm jonesing for supper!  ;D

ETA - oh and also sliced roasted garlic. :)
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

alecmari

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
FFIL is coming for dinner.  I'm making steaks, rice, salad, and pico de gallo.  Dessert will be vanilla ice cream in waffle bowls...yum.