News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 04, 2015, 09:46:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Basics of Good Hosting -- Parties  (Read 35479 times)

Mary Lennox

Re: The Basics of Good Hosting -- Parties
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
I attended a birthday party, one of those big bashes for an adult birthday, held in a catering hall. The invitation said "1:00 to 4:00 pm." 

I figured they would serve cake and punch. Perhaps some light savory such as small sandwiches. I assumed it was a drop-in event to attend any time during those posted hours. There was no mention of food service on the invitation.

We arrived at 1:30 pm. They opened a buffet of meats, veg, potatoes at 2:00 pm. This is just odd. Everyone at my table had eaten lunch and so, ate only enough to be polite. Wish the invitation had been more clear. Not surprisingly, other friends arrived after 2:00 pm, puzzled by the food service.

That said, I know that I could have called the hosts to find out more about the party. And it seems rude to question this event of hospitality. But I feel as though I didn't give this party full attention, especially since we had  plans for later in the afternoon and we left after being there about 1.5 hours. I don't think the hosts expected everyone to stay for a full 4 hours, yet that what a full meal and open bar would imply.

Comments?

You arrived late, you left early and you're complaining they didn't serve the food you were expecting them to, all because you made assumptions based on absolutely no evidence that it was an open house type of party.

Iris lily

Re: The Basics of Good Hosting -- Parties
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Well, this is why I posted, to get other points of view. I see that I was too rigid in my expectations of this part. I think it's because this wasnt our normal social group. With them, we know the drill.

Thanks, all! Next time I will call the hosts if I have questions.